PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused, an ebay question for you.

AndyW
08-21-2003, 08:34 AM
Ok, I'm currently bidding on something, I was the only bidder until someone came along and outbid me. To see how high I'd have to go I tried to outbid but it got to WAY to high a price and I gave up.

Then, today I checked the auction and my original bid now stands and all the bids this other user made have gone. What happened, did he retract his bids? Is this possible? Could the seller have done this?

Very confused!

jjreason
08-21-2003, 09:37 AM
You are likely right, the other bidder likely did retract a bid. This has happened to me, when I once bid 19,99 on a comic instead of 19.99 - all of a sudden I was the high bidder at well over 60 bucks... good thing I recognized my mistake and was able to retract my bid (you can't, if the auction is going to end within 12hrs). Any retraction would lead to the NEXT highest bidder (in this case, yourself apparently) getting the high bidder status. I hope you win!

JJR

Ok, I'm currently bidding on something, I was the only bidder until someone came along and outbid me. To see how high I'd have to go I tried to outbid but it got to WAY to high a price and I gave up.

Then, today I checked the auction and my original bid now stands and all the bids this other user made have gone. What happened, did he retract his bids? Is this possible? Could the seller have done this?

Very confused!

AndyW
08-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Ahhh, that clears that up, didn't think you were allowed to retract bids, thankyou!

I hope I win too :D

AndyW
08-21-2003, 10:09 AM
By the way, to those that rememeber I've been after a Action Fleet Trade Federation lander for ages and ages, well I finally bagged one a couple of days ago. Since then I've been going ebay crazy, I don't know why I didn't partake before!

I would like to say a big thankyou to those in the US that are willing to deal internationally and a big :mad: to those that wouldn't :D

SWAFMAN
08-21-2003, 04:02 PM
congrats on finally scoring that TF Lander, Andy! Now, put down that mouse and slowly back away from the keyboard.... ;)

good shot jansen
08-21-2003, 05:09 PM
andy,

if you need help with auctions in the u.s that won't ship internationally, i've been kind of like a clearing house for other international forum members here.

if you bid and win an auction for an item where the seller won't ship to europe, you can have the item shipped to me, and i will in turn mail it off to you. we can then settle up on the shipping charges after i send the item.

i've done this over the years for folks like brit cit, jedi goofy, and recently sicqnus.

in return, brit cit has repaid the service to me countless times on auctions i've bid on in the uk where they wouldn't ship to the u.s.

so if this interests you, just drop me a pm, and we can exchange shipping address's, then when you win an item that won't ship to the uk, use my u.s. address, let me know it's coming, and once it arrives i will turn it around and send it off in your direction

AndyW
08-21-2003, 08:35 PM
andy,

if you need help with auctions in the u.s that won't ship internationally, i've been kind of like a clearing house for other international forum members here.

if you bid and win an auction for an item where the seller won't ship to europe, you can have the item shipped to me, and i will in turn mail it off to you. we can then settle up on the shipping charges after i send the item.

i've done this over the years for folks like brit cit, jedi goofy, and recently sicqnus.

in return, brit cit has repaid the service to me countless times on auctions i've bid on in the uk where they wouldn't ship to the u.s.

so if this interests you, just drop me a pm, and we can exchange shipping address's, then when you win an item that won't ship to the uk, use my u.s. address, let me know it's coming, and once it arrives i will turn it around and send it off in your direction

Thankyou, I will certainly bear that in mind, will pm you in just a minute.. :cool:

SWAFMAN, am going to have to back away from the keyboard otherwise I will be a poor man!
That said, theres something very rewarding about getting something which isn't easy to buy off the shelf, worryingly addictive, but much fun!

SWAFMAN
08-22-2003, 07:44 PM
SWAFMAN, am going to have to back away from the keyboard otherwise I will be a poor man!
That said, theres something very rewarding about getting something which isn't easy to buy off the shelf, worryingly addictive, but much fun!

Yeah, it's easy (and quite a bit hypocritical) for ME to suggest you curb your auction enthusiasm. I acquired a very large portion of my collection on ebay, back before it became a target of reseller-speculators and you had a reasonably fair shot at winning most stuff if you bid a fair price. I know there are still some decent deals to be had, especially on the more pedestrian offerings, but if you want any of the top-shelf "marquee" (no, VT, not Maquis ;) ) ships, it's become a shark feeding-frenzy most of the time.

JediTricks
08-23-2003, 01:20 AM
BTW, besides a bidder retracting a bid, the seller can also cancel a bid, for example if the seller thinks the bidder is not trustworthy or has had prior unpleasant dealings or didn't pay attention to the seller's stated criteria.

AndyW
08-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Arse, I'm just about to lose out on a full set of 1997 Star Wars MM's. Bugger. Here I am trying to rebuild a SW collection and I can't even do that! I was winning the auction for days at about 25, and the seller was in the UK too, and then some git comes along today and it goes upto 46. Too much for me!

That said, I've got a few sets of those Epic collections, the TF lander (wahey!) and HOPEFULLY FINGERS CROSSED, a set of 7 Star Trek MM's, some of which I haven't got.

I've also just sold my playmates Star Trek Insurrection Entprise E toy, which has been cluttering my cupboard for ages, and theres also some B5 figures going if anyone wants them :D

AndyW
08-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Another question, is it just me that gets ratty with people that bid at the very very last minute, when chances are your not near the computer? I know theres no rules against it, but darn its annoying, I can just see some geek watching me bid four days ago, the only bid, and then with 18 seconds to go outbidding me by about a dollar. Grrr!!!!!!!

Sorry, but thats the second auction in two days.

SWAFMAN
08-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Andyw, fact is, in this day of pirates on ebay, the only way to have any degree of confidence you'll snag an auction is to wait until the final minute of the auction to place your bid. But I draw the line at placing said bids "live & in-person" vs. the computer programs or services that can do it automatically for you. These programs wait until the very last possible moment to place your pre-programmed high bid, effectively giving no one else a chance to counter your bid.

With this stragety, if you know something is fairly priced on the auction market for $10, and you make sure to use one fo these "bid sniper" programs to put your bid in at the last second for $14, you'll probably win most of the auctions for this item. Then, as long as you re-list them for $20, you drive up the market and make a slimey profit.

As I said, bidding early in the auction only serves to telegraph your intent to competitiors and drive up the price you're going to have to beat in the final moments. Set a personal limit of what you're willing to spend, and enter that bid in the final minute. If you win, great. You got it for what you thought it was worth to you. If it's already bid over your limit by the time you go to bid, or if you enter that amount and still get outbid in the last minute, then that's the way it goes.

If you lose to the "regulars" who seem to nearly always be in on the high-profile items, then you may've been "sniped" by someone using the last-second bid programs.

Like the old saying goes, "Life's a b**ch, then you marry one...." ;)

JediTricks
08-25-2003, 12:26 AM
In real auctions, when a bid comes in during the last few moments, the auction is extended to accomodate this. Ebay should do so as well IMO.

kool-aid killer
08-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Ive lost many auctions to last minute "snipers." I havent bid on anything recently either but thats mainly due to money going elsewhere. My advice to anybody using ebay is to thoroughly check the sellers feedback, shipping charges, and even check out what the other bidders are like especially if one seems very determined to win. See how long they have been registered and how many things they have won.

AndyW
08-25-2003, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info guys, this is a very new world to me.

Today I'm much happier, I won some star trek mm's, including the pastuer. Sadly, I'm getting rid of most of them as I owe a friend who I'm trading with. Keeping the pastuer though :D

And the B5 figures I'm selling have gone upto 10. Wahey!

haggie
08-26-2003, 12:40 AM
I always snipe. It's the only way to win consistantly. It also keeps you from bidding more than you really want to. If you wait until the last second, there's no way you can bid again so it keeps your irrational spending to a minimum. My strategy means I only bid once on any item and when I bid, I put in the maximum amount I want to spend on the item. Chances are, I'll get the item for less than my max since another bidder would have to bid it up to my max for me to pay that amount. If it's worth $20 to me, I'm not going to dink around bidding $14 so I can save a few bucks when chances are, I'll win the auction for less than my max amount anyway. I always bid the amount I'm willing to spend and I'm almost always pleaseantly surprised when my winning bid is far under my max. Always a pleasant eBaying experience. :)