PDA

View Full Version : I Love the 70s on VH1

scruffziller
08-21-2003, 02:07 PM
Man.... bad film makes everything look bad. I am watching years before I was born so it is alien. Still cool in a bizarre way.

hamsterboy
08-21-2003, 04:22 PM
After seeing the bit with the Pet Rock,I now know where Kenner got the idea for the Early Bird Kit. :D

Mandalorian Candidat
08-21-2003, 05:18 PM
I was born in 1970 so some of the stuff talked about so far is somewhat familiar. The one thing I had never heard of was the day-of-the-week panties. What the heck is up with that?!

I like the series, but can't quite fathom the producer's pick of celebrity commentators. Half of them look like they're way to young to remember any of that stuff. VH1 must get them all in a room, show them clips of movies, music, and commercials, then push them in the right direction in their comments.

Oh, and Lynda Carter still looks pretty good.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2003, 05:39 PM
First time I laughed during a "I L.T. 70s" show was with the Big Wheels. I remember flipping it upside down and spinning the front wheel with the pedals (nothing odd about that), but also yelling "Ice cream man! Ice cream man!" like they mentioned on the show. I have no idea why I did that! :confused:
I was invented in the mid-70s, so I am aware of many of the images from earlier than about 1974 after the fact.
Somehow, it's not as nostalgic-seeming as "I L.T. 80s" to me.

hamsterboy
08-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Well,1977 will be tonight. I'm sure there will be quite a few of us watching that episode. ;)

bobafrett
08-22-2003, 01:03 AM
Well, it's nearly midnight central time, and I might have to catch the reruns of the 1977 installment. I have enjoyed watching it and bringing back the memories! I was born in 65, so I remember most of the 70's..........even the gawd awful styles of those yesteryears! Bring back the 8-tracks.........NOT!

bobafrett
08-22-2003, 01:23 AM
How cool, I just went over, flipped on the TV, put on VH1 and after the commercials it goes into the Star Wars segment of the year 1977 (well after Ponch did the "babes" of 77')!

How awesome!

JediTricks
08-22-2003, 09:31 PM
Remember when VH1 had videos of music? Maybe that'll be on "I love the '90s".

I am not digging the '70s one anywhere near as much as the '80s series. At first, I chalked it up to being born in '75, but really, even comparing the content on an equal plane, the '70s just aren't as entertaining an episode in history to flash back to in this way.

scruffziller
08-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Remember when VH1 had videos of music? Maybe that'll be on "I love the '90s".

I am not digging the '70s one anywhere near as much as the '80s series. At first, I chalked it up to being born in '75, but really, even comparing the content on an equal plane, the '70s just aren't as entertaining an episode in history to flash back to in this way.
Yea I totally agree. It is funny how they are making fun of it though moreso than saying "wow, I remember that..." because alot of them don't.
I will have to say that I was intrigued by learning a number of things that happened during the 70s that I didn't know. Like the floppy disk being invented and the computer mouse in 1970. It was rather freaky looking!!:crazed:

But yea, I can't wait for I Love the 80s Strikes Back and hopefully there will be a Return of the Eighties too!!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Unless I missed them, which is a possibility, one thing that was less nostalgic about the I L.T. 70s series is that there have been less of the social and news items. It seems to be too focused on the pop culture aspects. The I L.T. 80s mentioned Reagan's assassination attempt, the Berlin Wall, stock market, etc. while I seem to have missed the fuel crisis, Vietnam (OK, I can see why they'd avoid this one), Watergate (I assume this was covered in the '74 program and I just didn't see it), Mars landing, etc.

I think the I L.T. 90s needs to wait at least 2-3 years before they come out with it. You cannot wax nostalgic after only 3 years or so. Example:
"Hey, do you remember 'The Macarena' dance?"
Yeah. But what about 'Pokemon' cards?"
"Wow... it seems like only three years ago sometimes..."

See? :sur:

JediTricks
08-24-2003, 11:29 PM
Mac-a-ren... whaaa???

;)

bobafrett
08-25-2003, 01:02 AM
"Good news people, VH1 has just announced I love the 00's! The 1800's that is!"

Sorry JT, I'm still diggin the Professer Farnsworth Avatar!

JediTricks
08-25-2003, 01:39 AM
"... to shreds, you say! Well, how's his wife taking it? ... to shreds, you say!"

:D

OC47150
08-27-2003, 05:08 PM
I happened to catch the '77 episode where it featured SW. It was good.

Pop rocks. Boy, that brought back memories!

scruffziller
08-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Oh, and Lynda Carter still looks pretty good.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah................... .........(with questioning tone)

But............................................... ...................
this is the first time that I have seen her in recent years where she is starting to look haggard. Lonnie Anderson is also looking haggard too.

Man what was the deal with the facination with the use of lower primates in showbiz during the seventies??:D

OC47150
08-28-2003, 09:33 AM
I question VH1 using some of the so-called personalities for this show and the 80s show.

VH1 is a shell of its former shell. Remember when it used to play videos?

Arrogant Arse
08-28-2003, 12:33 PM
I question VH1 using some of the so-called personalities for this show and the 80s show.
I agree 100%. I honestly don't know who most of the "comedians" they have on there are. The other people, Dee Snyder, Eric Estrada, Brian Krause, Donal Logan, Lynda Carter, Loni Anderson and the wife from the show Donal Logan is on, I do recognise. These people are C or D list celebrities

bobafrett
08-29-2003, 12:52 AM
Anybody notice that they used "Special Edition" footage for the 77 SW coverage? They used the SE Death Star explosion, and there was one other scene that was in the ANH SE. Not PC coverage there VH1, naughty naughty!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-30-2003, 11:59 PM
I don't know about you, but I can't wait till VH1 presents "I Love The 1910s."

I mean so many topics to talk about, like WWI, Woodrow Wilson, Spanish Influenza, the Titanic, just to name a few.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-31-2003, 06:30 PM
Anybody notice that they used "Special Edition" footage for the 77 SW coverage? They used the SE Death Star explosion, and there was one other scene that was in the ANH SE. Not PC coverage there VH1, naughty naughty!
Yes, I caught that. "Pretty sneaky, sis," ur, VH1. There was some toy that they let the celebs play with that was a new version, too. Perhaps it was Shrinky Dinks (which, by the way, I LOVED! I still have my Smurfs and Sesame Street ones! But those were from the 80s.).

BTW, how many of you have saved any $2 bills or Susan B. dollars? :greedy:

Exhaust Port
08-31-2003, 09:20 PM
I finally caught a few of the episodes this weekend. I find the topics entertaining but I can't stand a lot of the people that they have doing the talking. Hasn't Mo Rocca's 15 minutes of fame been used up? I find him to be annoying and I'm sure he'll seem even more so in 10 years when people look back on it.

JediTricks
08-31-2003, 11:48 PM
BTW, how many of you have saved any $2 bills or Susan B. dollars? :greedy:I have several $2s, and a $2 silver note. I have far too many Susie Bs though, stupid Post Office stamp machine gave 'em out as change up until the Sacagawawa or whatever it's called came out recently.

darthvyn
08-31-2003, 11:54 PM
i've got me a $2, a $5 from 1928, numerous half-dollars, many wheatback pennies, and a buffalo nickel somewhere. i can't find it right now...

oh, what was the topic of this thread??? :confused:

scruffziller
09-01-2003, 08:54 AM
I don't know about you, but I can't wait till VH1 presents "I Love The 1910s."

AH, correction!! It will be called the I LOVE THE ("19")........'TEENS, 20s, 30s etc. etc........ Uh Oh what did I just start here???????????:eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Anybody notice that they used "Special Edition" footage for the 77 SW coverage? They used the SE Death Star explosion, and there was one other scene that was in the ANH SE.
It was in the cantina, where the bleeding arm alien was replaced by the elephant tusks one.

Here's the $3.25 question, though (that would be a $2 bill, a $1 Sue. B. An. and a bicentennial quarter); do any of you have a 1980 dollar coin? I hadn't seen one until a few years ago, as most were dated '79.

Good I L.T.70s celebs: :happy:
Rich Eisen (sp?)
Mo Rocca
Ian Michael Black (he actually was shown laughing in one clip! )
Niles Rogers
Hal Sparks (good impersonations)

Bad I L.T.70s celebs: :frus:
Ellen Cleghorne
Rob Zombie (hardly says anything)
George Lopez
Bo Derek
Lynda Carter (she just doesn't offer any insights)

scruffziller
09-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Good I L.T.70s celebs: :happy:

Don't forget Issac Hayes!!:cool:

Bad I L.T.70s celebs: :frus:

Man, don't forget Leif Garret.:D

I can see his baldness even under that hat.:rolleyes::D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Whoever is program director for VH1 must have the easiest job in the world.

"Let's see, what can we put on the air for next Monday? Hmmmm, let's start out with an episode of "I Love the 1970's," followed by another episode of "I Love the 1970's," then another episode of . . ."

Add another bad celebrity to the list made by Bel-Cam, David Cassidy. He comes off as rather vain and stupid. Actor Luis Guzman is a celebrity you can list under the good one.

bobafrett
09-04-2003, 01:20 AM
It was in the cantina, where the bleeding arm alien was replaced by the elephant tusks one.

Yep, that's the one! I knew it was in the cantina, just couldn't find it in my memory slot!

Here's the $3.25 question, though (that would be a $2 bill, a $1 Sue. B. An. and a bicentennial quarter); do any of you have a 1980 dollar coin? I hadn't seen one until a few years ago, as most were dated '79.

Don't know that I have any 1980 dollar coins. I do collect odd money that I would come across in my years that I worked at 7-Eleven. I found an 1865 farthing (sp?) it's a British penny, and I'm not sure that it would be worth much, but it was 100 years older than me when I was born, which is cool!

BTW, I think I'm burned out on all the "I Love the" shows as they seem to be on every time I turn to VH1 on the television.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2003, 07:30 PM
BTW, I think I'm burned out on all the "I Love the" shows as they seem to be on every time I turn to VH1 on the television.
I hear VH1 is going to do two things:
1) Change it's name to "Video-less Hulabaloo Wan," and
2) Start an "I Love the 2030s" where they get potential or soon-to-be celebs who are 8-10 years old now who talk about what they think the pop culture and world events will be like in THE FUTURE, and
3) Learn to count to 2. :p

JediTricks
09-05-2003, 04:27 AM
Next season on VH1, "I Vaguely Remember the Videos", where minor celebrities and former stars try to recall what they were doing when they saw music videos for the first time. Don't worry loyal VH1 watchers, the channel won't play more than 3 seconds of any one video and won't focus too closely on music of any kind.

;)

bobafrett
09-06-2003, 02:05 PM
Next season on VH1, "I Vaguely Remember the Videos", where minor celebrities and former stars try to recall what they were doing when they saw music videos for the first time. Don't worry loyal VH1 watchers, the channel won't play more than 3 seconds of any one video and won't focus too closely on music of any kind.

;)

That's halarious JT! I just realized what I don't like about the I love the 70's show. It reminds me of what a crappy childhood I had.

What is up with VH1 anyway? Once MTV stopped being a music video channel, I switched to VH1 to get my dose of music television, but now I only catch videos if I'm up at 2 am.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-07-2003, 10:30 PM
If you catch VH1 in the morning like between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. you can catch videos then. Of course they only show videos of what is current which then leads me to ask, would you want to watch videos on VH1 given the mostly crappy music that comes out nowadays?

For satellite subscribers VH1 Classic is the best music station in my opinion of all the ones out there, including MTV2 and Much Music. For those who like Classic Rock or Progressive Rock, this is your channel.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-13-2006, 01:47 PM
VH1 has another "I Love the '70s" series, originally subtitled "Volume 2." So far, it's been much more repetitive than the previous "I Love" series, if such a thing is possible. There've been some good parts, but this one's been more raunchy and crude, IMO.

OC47150
07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I caught about five - 10 minutes the other night. It was Bob Eubanks (the Newlywed Game) talking about songs from '73 to make whoopee to.

VH1 is a poor excuse for a music channel anymore. I remember back in the late 80s when it was good.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2006, 06:29 AM
Well, now that the series is over (for new episodes, it'll be out of continuous reruns soon, right? right? :( ), maybe their jingles will finally git outta my head. Worst ones? "Burt Reynolds' Mustache," "Guess This Joe," and "Farrah Do," as well as seeing the identical Charo, Whoopee Songs, and Little House on the Prarie intros. I know people have mocked the idea, but this series should do an "I Love the 1790s" or something (a 1/2 hour episode), where they show important "pop culture" and news items of that time period. That might be funny, as long as viewers know their history (crickets chirp).

CaptainSolo1138
07-24-2006, 02:51 PM
"pop culture"
Speaking of pop culture (And not wanting to start a new thread for a relatively old show), has anyone watched the World Series of Pop Culture? What a joke. How do these people qualify as "experts" when they get half the questions wrong?! Alot of it seems obscure, but if I can sit there on my couch and scream the answer at the fat idiot trying desperately to be funny and cute (which most of them are), they, being the "expert", should have no problem.