PDA

View Full Version : Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

El Chuxter
08-21-2003, 03:39 PM
We've been hearing rumors of a remake of this "classic" :rolleyes: for a few years now, with such outlandish rubbish as Marilyn Manson starring as Willy Wonka.

However, it looks like it's greenlit, and my thoughts have gone from "meh" to "woo-hoo!" because of two little words:

Tim Burton :D

If Burton and the Chocolate Factory aren't the perfect match, I don't know what is. Jonny Depp is apparently the frontrunner for the role of Wonka (and with the roles he's played for Burton before, I'd guess it's a given), and a kickin' soundtrack by the great Danny Elfman is pretty much guaranteed.

Not to mention a good chance of a Pee Wee Herman cameo, and lots of really twisted-looking trees!!

:happy:

Kidhuman
08-21-2003, 04:40 PM
If Johnny Depp and Tim Burton do it then I am a Woo-Hoo. I do not want to see Marylin Manson in any form. TimBurton is awesome and I agree, Johnny Depp seems to be a lock for the part with the history they have together.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Manson creeps me out. I hope his collaboration in this project is the product of someone's twisted imagination.

How can they improve on the original version? It's perfect. It's like Lucas making Greedo shoot first.

Darth Jax
08-21-2003, 09:23 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing another burton regular - michael keaton - in the part. anything with tim burton attached is worth a see.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-21-2003, 11:00 PM
What they should make is a picture about the sequel to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" also by Roald Dahl. It is just as a good of a book as the original was.

But I guess we are due for a remake of the classic "Willy Wonka," considering it has been over 30 years since it's original release, and Hollywood has remade a whole bunch of other movies of yesteryear recently. It is a very popular movie amongst many in my age group and even older and it even teaches lessons about morals and what happens to those with boorish behavior.

Kidhuman
08-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Plus Tim Burtons Oompa Loompas would rock.

RooJay
08-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Being as I am such a HUGE fan of the original movie, I was more than a bit apprehensive when I first heard they were moving along with this project (particularly when names like Nicholas Cage and Marilyn Manson were being mentioned in the same sentence). After hearing that Tim Burton was hired to do the job, I felt MUCH better!
Christopher Walken (Burton's rumored first choice) seemed like interesting casting for the role of Wonka, and I'm a pretty big fan of his, but I just couldn't see as how he'd be able to eclipse the fabulous and classic work done with the character by the always fantastic Mr. Gene Wilder.
When I heard that Johnny Depp had signed on for the part...I thought we might really be in for something special now! If anyone can pull it off, Johnny can. :D

darthvyn
08-22-2003, 03:09 PM
hey! i had heard it was walken, as well...

apparently dahl was never happy with the original. i always liked it, but a remake with burton's darker air, and (hopefully) walken as wonka would be so awesome... otherwise, walken could be "slugworth"

my friends and i have been doing wonka lines like walken for the past month now...

"you... stole fizzylifting... drinks.... you... lose. good day... sir..."

icatch9
08-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Deeps performance in Pirates certainly shows how he can play a crazy but brilliant man. Regardless of his other rolls. I like the old movie as well and I welcome a remake to make this beloved story new to a whole new generation of kids.

A darker tone would be alright, and probally more realistic. Anyway, looking forward to it. No doubt.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Tim Burton's movies are always great, but also always weird! When I was 4 I was hooked on Nightmare Before Christmas!!!

Johnny Depp can play any role, from teen-on-Freddy's-hit-list to creepy-near-silent-guy-with-scissors-for-hands to crazy-mad-cool-pirate and everything in between! If he had indeed signed up for it, that movie would be awesome!

El Chuxter
08-22-2003, 07:09 PM
I never liked the original too much. By the time I was old enough to not be scared, it seemed cheesy.

But ol' Tim Burton. . . he could direct anything and it'd be great. Very weird, rather quirky, and great. I'm one of those weirdos, though, who liked the new Planet of the Apes movies, though.

But with Batman, Batman Returns, Mars Attacks, Sleepy Hollow, Planet of the Apes, Ed Wood, and now Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I sorta long for more truly original Burton movies. Something that could top even Edward Scissorhands. If that's possible. (It's also proof of what a fine actor Jonny Depp is. Who'd've thunk it back in the 21 Jump Street days?)

And Danny Elfman is an awesome composer, but he seems to do most of his best work on Burton's films.

JediTricks
08-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Paul Reubens as Slugworth would be cool!

Manson creeps me out. I hope his collaboration in this project is the product of someone's twisted imagination.It is. That was a total rumor.

How can they improve on the original version? It's perfect. It's like Lucas making Greedo shoot first.It's a good film, but I think once Charlie and Grampa Joe burp their way to salvation, the film starts to lose focus. The lowest point is Mike TV's comeuppance, the film picks back up a little after that, but then quickly ends. I too doubt they'll be able to best the original though.

i wouldn't mind seeing another burton regular - michael keaton - in the part. anything with tim burton attached is worth a see.Five words: Batman Returns, and Mars Attacks. "Bleah Yuck" is how these titles should be read aloud. ;)

LBC, I disagree about "Great Glass Elevator" being as good as the original, I thought it lacked a sense of true purpose and came off a little too sequel-y.

Chux, good point about Burton's lack of original works of late. I think his best work is Pee Wee's Big Adventure, I didn't like Scissorhands as much (too overshadowed by style for me) but at least it wasn't a licensed product.

Beast
08-22-2003, 10:11 PM
I wonder with Burton's freaky lil quirks, if he'll revert the Oompa Loompas from their weird orange skinned selves, back to the Africian Pygmies that were featured in the original print runs of the book. Atleast until the book was 'PC Sugar-Coated'. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-23-2003, 11:04 AM
I hope that Burton doesn'r Americanise the tale. It's set in England after all Dahl wrote it so that it could be a sort of all encompassing moral tale not particularly set anywhere. It was just a set up to show the best and worst of people and hopefully show kids the benefits of being good.

Gene Wilder might have been okay for the original but the effects were atrocious. The factory was like a sort of kids toy and much too cartoony in look. And it felt too much like it was filmed in a studio. Burton is far more likely to create a real nightmare environment for the factory scenes. dark and broody. The boat ride is sure to be absolutely brilliant. His monsters are always cool even if they are all stripey.

RooJay
08-24-2003, 01:13 AM
I wonder with Burton's freaky lil quirks, if he'll revert the Oompa Loompas from their weird orange skinned selves, back to the Africian Pygmies that were featured in the original print runs of the book. Atleast until the book was 'PC Sugar-Coated'. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The original Oompas had always seemed like Tim Burton creations to me anyway. I'd be willing to bet that he tend towards the designs from the original movie. ;)

hamsterboy
08-25-2003, 03:27 AM
Didn't Dahl also write James and the Giant Peach? If so,Burton's got a head start on this stuff.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Christopher Walken (Burton's rumored first choice) seemed like interesting casting for the role of Wonka, and I'm a pretty big fan of his, but I just couldn't see as how he'd be able to eclipse the fabulous and classic work done with the character by the always fantastic Mr. Gene Wilder.

Here, here! CW as Willie-boy would seem just odd, but if the remake is also done as a musical Walken may be a better choice. If anyone's seen him on SNL you know he's a soft shoe man at heart. :D

El Chuxter
08-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Didn't Dahl also write James and the Giant Peach? If so,Burton's got a head start on this stuff.

Dahl did write J&TGP, but Burton didn't direct it. Contrary to what the full title might indicate, he didn't direct Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas," either. He was busy with Batman Returns (which I've got to disagree with JT on :D), and produced TNmBC (I'm not sure exactly what "producing" entails, but unless I'm mistaken it involves far less of the direct work on a film than directing does). The guy who directed it (I forget his name) directed J&TGP as well (again with Burton producting).

TNmBC was originally created as a pretty meh little poem while Burton was working for Disney and he pitched it to Disney as early as the early 80s. They picked it up after he became well-known, but since it was made while he was contracted to Disney, it's their property.

And I saw Pirates this weekend. Jonny Depp is now my first choice for any crazy person role. :Pirate:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Man, this thread has been dead for a while, but i'm resurrecting it from the ashes! hee!!!

There is a concept drawing at Bloody Disgusting of the Oompa Loompa's, or at least their basic head design. Personally, i sort of the like the design; it has just that right amount of creepiness in it. The dilemma is to go CGI or cast little folks in the parts. I got faith that Burton will do the right thing though. Hopefully, more pics and drawings will emerge soon. cheers!

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Show=1459&Template=newsfull

El Chuxter
03-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Pretty cool. Definitely Burton-esque.

I'm hoping this movie will do well and give Jonny the Oscar he deserves! (And the same goes for Danny and Tim, too.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Looks pretty cool. I doubt it's gonna go over very well with fans of the movie. So wait, what are the Oompa-Loompas like in the politically correct version? The orange things?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Friends, we have Charlie. (from BD)

Freddie Highmore is confirmed to star as Charlie in Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for Warner Bros. according to Variety. In "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," he plays the poverty-stricken boy who stumbles across one of the five golden tickets that wins an exclusive tour of Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory. The other four winners are grotesque brats who get their comeuppance in the course of the tour, leaving Charlie to become Mr. Wonka's heir. Johnny Depp plays Willy Wonka. Shooting starts this summer at London's Pinewood Studios for a July 15, 2005 release.

This kid seems to be a far cry from the blonde hair, blue eyed Charlie of old, but i like the difference. I also cannot wait till we get some pics from the set this summer, if any surface, which they will. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-09-2004, 10:28 PM
I bring you a teaser poster for teh film. Granted, it's shrunk down to fit the size thing for SSG, but it's still pretty sweet, i think. Kinda makes me wonder what's going on under Depp's hat, but i guess we'll have to wait and see!

RooJay
11-09-2004, 11:41 PM
I'm pretty juiced after seeing that poster. Of course, I've been pretty juiced about this one from the get go - Wonka + Depp + Burton = COOL! How can this possibly go wrong?!

El Chuxter
11-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Indubitably! :D

Beast
11-10-2004, 04:21 PM
There's some pictures from the film on Danny Elfman's offical website. I dunno about Johnny Depp's Wonka. He looks way to femme for me. Gene Wilder had this creepy level of sinister to his Wonka. And Deep's just looks weird. I love the idea of Christopher Lee as Wonka's father though. That's going to rock. :)

http://elfman.filmmusic.com/forum/read.php?7,16341,16341#16341

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
11-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Sweet, this movie is going to kick some butt.

Lord Malakite
11-10-2004, 11:51 PM
I don't know about this. I don't like what I've seen of Depp Wonka. He looks like "DareDevil mated with Jack the Ripper". :D

I'm certain the movie will be alright though. Just don't change animated Wonka from the commercials to match Depp Wonka. ;)

Kidhuman
11-11-2004, 11:43 PM
Binks, they took the pics down, DId you save them?

Huckleberry Josh
11-13-2004, 07:17 PM
I think Depp would be the best one for the part, however, unlike everyone else on here, I think Marilyn Manson would be great for the part to.He's not that bad a guy as far as creepy.I'v watched some of his interviews and he seems normal when he's not performing on stage with the band.But i agree that Depp can play any part out there.He's one of the best actors ever!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-09-2004, 10:09 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/charlieandthechocolatefactoryqt1.html

Teaser Trailer, kids! I find it very odd and quirky, but i'm interested nonetheless. Cheers! :D

Kidhuman
12-09-2004, 10:31 PM
I like it. I like the song too. Depp looks awesome. Love the scenery and sets.

mrpauldeeds
12-09-2004, 10:59 PM
hmmm.....right off the bat i think it looks a little kiddy like. i thought this version was going to have marylin manson in it along with depp, and have a scary tone to it. it does look tim burton like, very distorted. none the less im gunna see it. those goggles were awsome:) , the song got annoying....

i cant wait to see it though, its second on my list to star wars:crazed:

RooJay
12-10-2004, 02:50 AM
FANTASTIC! Can't wait! This should make for an excellent companion piece to the original film. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Now I'm gonna have that damn song stuck in my head all day . . . ;):D

Dunno, it looks . . . okay. Depp seems a little queer, the design isn't really working with me. Maybe as a rental, or at least after ROTS leaves theaters.

The grandpa looks to be the old guy from the Butterfinger commercial! Weird.

The Oompa-Loompa playing the keyboard is awesome though. :D

General_Grievous
06-20-2005, 06:24 PM
I just wanted to ressurect this thread after seeing the second trailer. Well, now I'm a bit more excited about seeing this, seeing as how I'm a huge fan of both Burton and Depp. I just still don't like the idea of Oompa Loompas being Indian midgets. Honestly, though, I think Depp went a bit too overboard on the character...

2-1B
06-21-2005, 12:44 AM
I am annoyed every time I see the previews for this movie on TV. There's no way I'm going to pay to watch this, I honestly think this looks like the worst movie of 2005 that I WON'T be seeing.

El Chuxter
06-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Tim Burton and Jonny Depp together again, and you think it looks bad?

:eek:

2-1B
06-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I DO.

Well, it looks more annoying than anything. lol

I like Johnny Depp in some stuff (DONNIE BRASCO ! ! ! ! ! ) but this weirdo act is not doing anything for me.

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 12:06 AM
After reading Caesar's unflattering post about Carrie Fisher at the AFI thing, I thought I'd never be able to agree with him again, but the trailer that was attached to Batman Begins made the film and Depp especially look awful, though Grampa Joe being a creepy zombie guy didn't help things much either.

Beast
06-22-2005, 12:34 AM
I agree with Caesar and JediTricks. Looks like it's going to be just plain awful. The original is a classic. And this looks like another hackjob remake that ruins the magic of the original. Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka. He was funny, creepy, and charming all rolled into one. Johnny Depp just looks he's done too many heroin chasers with his choclate. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-22-2005, 01:48 AM
After reading Caesar's unflattering post about Carrie Fisher at the AFI thing, I thought I'd never be able to agree with him again

Glad I could work my way back into your graces. :crazed: And hey look, JJB agrees with ya too, what's going on here ? :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Well, I should say that I never saw the Gene Wilder version in its entirety, in case that should matter when it comes to my (lack of ) interest in this new one. :)

scruffziller
06-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Johnny Depp just looks he's done too many heroin chasers with his choclate. :D

But you know what, I have been watching the trailer and the more I see Depp doing this charachter, the more intrigued I am. The "kookiness" of his version of Willy Wonka just seems to draw me in. I don't think I have ever seen a character like this before. And I plan to see it just to see Depp's performance.

JediTricks
06-22-2005, 07:56 PM
See, to me it's like he's crossing a happy version of Edward Scissorhands with Michael Jackson, and it just comes off nasty this way - Gene Wilder may not have been book-perfect, but his Wonka wore his nastiness as a mask for his true self, while with this Depp character as he appears in the trailers it feels like the opposite.

2-1B
06-26-2005, 04:28 AM
The word "pedophile" came to mind when I saw the TV ads repeatedly but I didn't want to bring it up while posting my initial impressions . . . but since JT mentioned Michael Jackson, then yeah I'd say I felt the same way.

JediTricks
06-26-2005, 06:05 PM
That's not how pedophiles act generally, this claim that's been going around that Jackson fits the description of a "textbook pedophile" is dangerous because it gives parents and kids the totally wrong idea of what to look out for. Plus, getting back on topic ;), Depp's Willy Wonka seems to dislike the kids in the movie from all the trailers I've seen.

Beast
06-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Well, Wonka didn't exactly care much for the kids in the original movie. Remember his half hearted "no... stop... don't." warnings right before they would get what was coming to them. It just seems like he's a bit more.... hostile in this version. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
06-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Yeah, that was one of my favorite moments even as a kid when they'd show the movie on KTLA 5, Wilder's Wonka has disdain for humanity and these kids - except ultimately for Charlie - are reflections of the worst qualities of that humanity while Charlie ends up being a true child with his innocent, humble noblity. The trailers for this new one haven't really put that out there for me, so Depp's Wonka comes off nasty to everybody and thinly pretending to smile about it, I suppose that could be to hide the ending though.

Beast
06-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Agreed. That's my favorite part of the original movie also. Heh, you know something I realized. The three of us who have bad feelings about this movie are discussing it more than anyone else. I'll probably see it for the hell of it, but I don't think it's going to be as much of a classic or all that good, in comparison to the first. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JimJamBonds
07-07-2005, 11:31 AM
See, to me it's like he's crossing a happy version of Edward Scissorhands with Michael Jackson, and it just comes off nasty this way - Gene Wilder may not have been book-perfect, but his Wonka wore his nastiness as a mask for his true self, while with this Depp character as he appears in the trailers it feels like the opposite.

Funny that you mention Michael Jackson, personally I never thought that but after reading an article about it I can see it now!

Jacko and the "Chocolate Factory"
Wednesday July 6 8:12 PM ET

The longish black hair. The pale skin. The ornate suit jacket. The--how should we say?--less than traditional adult male speaking voice.

That is fabled candymaker Willy Wonka as embodied by Johnny Depp (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800019485) in director Tim Burton (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800023303)'s new take on the children's classic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. One problem: "I think the casual viewer is going to see Michael Jackson (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800092369)."

So says Patrick Lee, news editor of online's Sci Fi Wire. And chances are the casual viewer wouldn't disagree.

"It's very scary," laughs Houston-based blogger Laurence Simon. Like other moviegoers, Simon made the Depp-Jackson-Wonka connection almost instantly when he saw the Chocolate Factory trailer. An offhanded remark last month on his blog, This Blog Is Full of Crap (IsFullofCrap.com), about how much he wasn't looking forward to Burton's film led one commentator to crack, "What's the problem...? Don't have the stomach for Michael Jackson and the Chocolate Factory?"

The properly titled Charlie and the Chocolate Factory opens July 15. In a summer dominated by bad buzz about the less than blockbuster box office, it is one of Warner Bros.' brightest hopes, along with Batman Begins and The Dukes of Hazzard.

Having one of its prized properties--much less, a PG-rated kids' fantasy--linked to a fallen pop star with longish black hair, pale skin, a whisper for a speaking voice, a penchant for military garb and a recent acquittal on child-molestation charges is likely not what the Hollywood studio had in mind when it turned Burton and company loose on author Roald Dahl (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800047126)'s beloved, if preternaturally creepy, tale.

And, according to Depp, who openly copped to stealing riffs from rocker Keith Richards (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800047666) for his turn as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, it is absolutely not what the actor had in mind when he was conjuring the eccentric first brought to the big screen by Gene Wilder (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800012918) in 1971's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Children-show hosts like Captain Kangaroo (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&cf=gen&id=1800044095) and Mr. Rogers, these are the innocuous sorts who inspired Depp's Wonka, he has said.

"Everyone is entitled to think what they want," Depp said last week in a news conference in Nassau, Bahamas, "even while being violently wrong."

Wrong or no, the suspicions abound. At that press conference, Lee says the Jackson question came up "a lot."

Lee, for one, is more willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the filmmakers, perhaps because he's seen the movie in its entirety. "The nature of the character Willy Wonka is not Michael Jackson," he says. "Willy Wonka hates children--that there sets him apart from Michael Jackson."

Box-office analyst Paul Dergarabedian also has seen the film. Depp's Wonka, he says, "comes off more as Mr. Rogers than Michael Jackson."

If the trailer is creeping out audiences, says Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations Co., then that might not be such a bad thing for the film's box office. Dahl's tale of gluttony, greed and Oompa Loompas, after all, has never been confused for a Disney fairy tale. As such, the trippier the trailer, the potentially more intrigued the audience.

"They have come to expect the unexpected with Johnny Depp," says Dergarabedian. "Were it another actor, maybe it wouldn't come off as well."

The last time Depp arguably veered into Jackson territory, in Finding Neverland, the 2004 biopic about big-kid-at-heart Peter Pan author J.M. Barrie, the actor earned a Best Actor Oscar nomination. As long as Depp doesn't earn sustained unwanted comparisons to Jackson in Chocolate Factory, the Oompa Loompas likely will go along their merry, vaguely unsettling way.

2-1B
07-07-2005, 01:47 PM
I read the article in EW last night and now I'm even less impressed by this venture. Tim Burton and Gene Wilder are both ****ing in the wind, Burton saying that so many people are endeared to the first film while he is not, and then we've got Wilder ripping on the new venture as just a grab at money.

Too funny. lol

JimJamBonds
07-07-2005, 02:13 PM
I read the article in EW last night and now I'm even less impressed by this venture. Tim Burton and Gene Wilder are both ****ing in the wind, Burton saying that so many people are endeared to the first film while he is not, and then we've got Wilder ripping on the new venture as just a grab at money.

Too funny. lol

So if T Burt. said people are endeared to the first film but he isn't why then did he direct the remake? Did he think it sucked and he could do better? I'm with you Caesar I'm not going to see this flick.

2-1B
07-07-2005, 02:22 PM
'cause it's NOT a remake, just a movie based on the novel.

JimJamBonds
07-07-2005, 02:27 PM
'cause it's NOT a remake, just a movie based on the novel.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I see, my bad. ;)

El Chuxter
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Call me nuts, but I never cared too much for the original. I'll check this out for Mssrs Burton and Depp. However, I doubt this will be another Edward Scissorhands. I have much higher hopes for The Corpse Bride.

Tom Foolery
07-07-2005, 03:29 PM
This sounds like a stupid remake of that Willy Wonka movie with Richard Pryor. Except why would they change Willy's name to Charlie? Nobody goes into the grocey store to buy milk and Charlie Nerds. And Johnny Depp doesn't look anything like Richard Pryor, especially with all those beads in his beard. And I bet all those kids are grown up now since that movie came out before I was born. Stupid.

JimJamBonds
07-07-2005, 03:57 PM
This sounds like a stupid remake of that Willy Wonka movie with Richard Pryor. Except why would they change Willy's name to Charlie? Nobody goes into the grocey store to buy milk and Charlie Nerds. And Johnny Depp doesn't look anything like Richard Pryor, especially with all those beads in his beard. And I bet all those kids are grown up now since that movie came out before I was born. Stupid.

You seem to be slightly mixed up there Tom, Richard Pryor wasn't in the orginal that was Gene Wilder. An honest mistake since they were both in Silver Streak and Stir Crazy. You are correct Johnny Depp didn't look anything like Richard Pryor in Pirates of the Caribbean... he also didn't look anything like Keith Richards. His character did have a sense of Keith in both the way he talked and the way he acted.

JediTricks
07-08-2005, 03:43 AM
I'll wait to see how the movie plays, but if Depp is properly channeling the kiddie hosts in the film then the person who cut the trailer totally dropped the ball - which is a BIIIIG mistake since this movie isn't exactly standing tall with the mainstream audiences anyway.

I don't remember Wonka actually hating children in the original book though, but it's been a while.

2-1B
07-08-2005, 04:06 AM
JT, that was one of the things the EW article mentioned . . . that Wonka doesn't like children. I never read the book nor did I see the old movie.

Jim Jam, don't forget GW and RP were also together in See No Evil Hear No Evil ! lol

JimJamBonds
07-08-2005, 11:14 AM
JT, that was one of the things the EW article mentioned . . . that Wonka doesn't like children. I never read the book nor did I see the old movie.

Jim Jam, don't forget GW and RP were also together in See No Evil Hear No Evil ! lol

Please forgive me for my faux posting!

Personally I don't have a problem with remakes but the thing I don't understand is why certain movies/songs are redone. Shouldn't some classics just be able to stand on their own and not need a redo? Granted as Caesar pointed out this isn't a remake rather a different version based on the same book. Ehh thats close enough for me. (Yeah this should really be in the 'sick of remakes' thread I know ;) )

General_Grievous
07-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Alright. I've had just about ENOUGH of people bashing this movie. I just saw the HBO First Look of it, and it looked fine to me. Hell, even Roald Dahl's wife said that she enjoyed the movie. Now just in case you were wondering who Roald Dahl is, he's the one who WROTE THE FREAKIN BOOK before the Gene Wilder movie came along. I love the Gene Wilder movie, but then I read the book and realized that the movie completely bastardized it. What with all of the non-Oompa Loompa singing, the replacement of squirrels with geese, the fizzing drinks, etc. I liked Gene Wilder's performance, and it's a good enough stand-alone movie, but it's a poor adaptation of the book. Now that we have that out of the way.....

THE NEW ONE IS NOT A REMAKE. STOP ACTING LIKE IT IS. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO HAVE YOUR PRECIOUS GENE WILDER MOVIE TAKEN FROM YOU. THIS IS JUST A MORE ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF THE BOOK.

Now here things are more accurate to the book. Give or take a few things. In the book, Willy Wonka was as crazy as Johnny Depp portrays him as, except he had a beard in the book. And the book, the Oompa Loompas looked like little mini Ted Nugents, not like indian midgets, and Mike Teavee wasn't a videogame junkie (Burton added that to probably make the film more modern). But those are the only major differences. Now what are you guys so disappointed about? Is it Depp's weird look, or something else?

I just feel like I'm one of the only ones in this movie's defense, and I don't think it's fair for so many people to judge it before they've even seen it.

gsr-jedi
07-11-2005, 09:45 PM
This is my first time checking out this thread, but I can't wait to see this movie. I'm going to SDCC, so I have to wait until Monday at the earliest. While I still think the original is great (I haven't seen it in I don't recall how many years), just like GG said, this doesn't seem like a re-make. It feels more like a new movie because it's based off of the book more, even though I've never read the book.

JediTricks
07-12-2005, 02:36 AM
Ebert & Roeper gave it thumbs up over the weekend, but both said it was good IN SPITE of Depp's performance, which they both agreed felt way off and a surprisingly weak note in his otherwise stellar recent career. For me, the Wonka character is pivotal to the story, even when he's not the central character, so when Depp's version of the character looked off in the trailers, it gave me serious misgivings. Now knowing it to be true, I don't know if I'll bother seeing it at all, as I honestly have really no need for more Burton set pieces, they all start to blend together after a while.

Also, having Mike Teevee, whom I really related to when I read the book (the original movie version was a little too obnoxious I think), be a video game junkie doesn't seem like a kid who'd scarf candy, he'd be too busy playing his games.

2-1B
07-12-2005, 03:52 AM
JT, when you say that you "now know it to be true" are you basing that confirmation JUST on E & R's review ?

megaprime33
07-12-2005, 07:51 AM
I have my doubts about this movie. Various reasons as to why but the main one is Johnny Depp. Yes, Depp and Burton make a great team but that doesn't mean that Depp can pull off Wonka. When I read the book and see Depp as Wonka.....it just doesnt feel right. I'll go see it for the love of the story but we'll see how it turns out as being "good".

El Chuxter
07-12-2005, 12:10 PM
I would have to see Jonny Depp hand in a bad performance on any film to believe it. Face it, he's one of those actors who's worth watching even in absolutely horrible films.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Grievous- First and foremost: chill out. Don't take it so personally. Folks are just USED to the Gene Wilder version as It has been around since, like what, 78? It's a culture landstone for children and adults around the globe and for anybody to think that there is another version of this film coming out, they wonder why as they consider the original to be perfect. It's sort of like "Star Wars" for some folks: when you change it or add onto it that changes the way people are used to it, some flip and some don't mind. Different strokes for different folks. :)

anyway, I'm re-reading the book tonight/tomorrow to prep myself for the movie. I'm really giddy about this one as I think Dahl's errie arse vision is PERFECT in the hands of Burton. I'm still irked that the oompa loompa's are the little pygmie lookin' guys in the book, but other than that, I'm REALLY REALLY excited about it. I won't see it till next week though, sadly. Stupid work. :(

cheerio!

JediTricks
07-13-2005, 03:06 AM
JT, when you say that you "now know it to be true" are you basing that confirmation JUST on E & R's review ?
Not just them, I've seen a couple other comments from other reviewers which have said the same thing.

Chux, you wouldn't be so excited about the guy if you were forced to watch 21 Jump Street every day of 10th grade health class (that's what the LAUSD got for having the class taught by the JV football coach who looked like a tank but was actually a stoner in disguise). :p

2-1B
07-13-2005, 04:38 AM
I figured that, JT, I just hadn't read any reviews (yet) of the film so I didn't know how the movie was being received in general. :)

General_Grievous
07-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Just saw the movie...I enjoyed it a lot, even more than the last two movies I saw (War of the Worlds and Fantastic Four). It's different than the 1971 film, but I like it a little bit better than the Gene Wilder version. I know some of you will scream bloody murder at the last statement, but it's my opinion. Firstoff, let me give you some reasons why I think this is a better version:

1. Better acting: The actor playing Charlie in this movie is WAY better than the kid in the last one. Charlie's grandparents are also much more lively in this one. In the 1971 version, all they did was go to the morgue to find some dead bodies to play the other three grandparents. Also, the kid playing Augustus did better. The kid in the original wasn't even that fat and he wasn't even that greedy. And Johnny Depp was great as Willy Wonka. I find it impossible to compare with Gene Wilder's Wonka, but he got lost in the role.

2. More depth and story than the original. I liked Wonka's whole backstory. Christopher Lee didn't play a villain for a change! That's a nice change.

3. It wasn't a musical. Well, aside from the Oompa Loompa songs, but they were in the book. But the Oompa Loompa songs were the only memorable songs from the original. There were a hell of a lot of boring songs in the original, like the song Charlie's mom sings to him. But the Willy Wonka song from the trailer is in this one, and it will probably be stuck forever in my head. Think "It's a Small World" but even more annoying.

4. The visual effects were great, IMO. The chocolate river was actually chocolate instead of the original's brown fecal water. Violet the blueberry was about ten times bigger than the original one.

5. Danny Elfman composed it. I loved his work here as well as every other Tim Burton movie.

6. Tim Burton's look for it really makes it more fantasy-oriented, which is exactly how it should be.

7. Johnny Depp IS Willy Wonka in this movie. Wilder's was more laid-back and mellower than Depp's zany madman (Which is exactly what Roald Dahl wrote him out to be).

Overall, I had a lot of fun watching it. The audience loved it, too. There was even thunderous applause at the end. So I think that all this bashing really was unjust and unfair. But if you don't see it, you're missing out on a lot.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-16-2005, 02:46 AM
I saw it tonight and loved it quite a bit. I just re read the book a few days ago to refresh myself and it was great hearing so much dialogue from the novel word for word in the film. the sets were fantastic (that boat was awesome) and Deep Roy rocked as the Oompa Loompas. It was great to hear the lyrics from the book sung by an entire horde of oompas. While it's rough to compare the original to this one (they seem like two seperate films all together) I'd say i enjoyed this one better: wonka is portrayed as the nutty, sometimes childlike, and yes, sadistic man he was at times in the book. well done! :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-16-2005, 07:01 PM
I saw it last night and I really enjoyed it. I've never read the book but I've seen the old movie, and the new one is so much better. I'd like to touch on the differences between the films:

*Charlie's father - I don't know why he was MIA in the old one, but he's in the new one. I liked this character, even though he wasn't in it much.
*Slugworth - He was the owner of a competitor candy store, or he sold secrets from Wonka's factory, or something. He was mentioned, and shown briefly, but he wasn't trying to steal the kids' tickets or anything.
*Flashbacks/backstory - I loved the Loompaland sequence, and it helped explain why there were Oompa Loompas there in the first place. I also thought that the flag exhibit part was hilarious. It was nice to see the origins of Willy and why he liked chocolate and everything.
*Glass elevator - The one in this film, is, GET THIS, made of glass, unlike that stupid one in the older version.
*Kids' fates and parents - Some who were with their dad were with their mom this time, and vice versa. This time it showed them leaving the factory so there's no doubt that they're not dead. I HATED the CGI on Violet, though, since it was so damn fake-lookin'.
*That stupid-*ss lickable wallpaper - Thankfully, that's not here. In the old one, that felt like they just tacked it on as a last-minute addition and it seemed stupidly low budget and unoriginal.
*Soda - They don't drink the soda to float to the top, which I also thought was stupid in the old one.
*Family - There's a big message about family and love, which wasn't really in the old one. It showed Charlie torn about leaving his family and going to the factory, whereas in the old one, he was just like, "See ya later, bi***es!"

darthvyn
07-21-2005, 02:18 PM
i finally saw this, and really enjoyed it! the oompas were awesome, and johnny depp was hysterical. the only thing i missed were the fizzy lifting drinks.

2-1B
07-22-2005, 01:50 AM
I'm not hearing good word of mouth on this one from several friends of mine who took their kids to see it.

vader121
07-22-2005, 08:45 AM
I saw it and wasn't too impressed. Kids will like this movie though I'm sure.

Some things were better than the original and some things were worse (mainly the oompa loompa's).

jlw
07-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Man, the oompa loompas weren't worse in the new version!! If anything they stole the show!! Man, that final song with the Van Halen and AC/DC bit were freaking hilarious!!

As mentioned above, there is no comparison between the two; they are two totally different movies. As a whole I loved the newer version better, and now I want to the read the book to see which is more like the book. The only things now that I really like about the original over the new one is the song Willy Wonka sings while in the boat that Marilyn Manson put into one of his songs. You know the whole, "Is it raining, is it snowing, not a shed of light is showing, so the danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing" thing or something like that.

Turbowars
07-22-2005, 09:45 PM
I liked it as well. Yeah what happened with the boat ride? I was totally expecting a more bizarre and wacky ride than the original. I guess it was for the kids? Johnny is awesome. Just about everything he does is pretty good.

2-1B
11-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Wow, I watched both Willy Wonka movies in the past week and they BOTH suck. But I think the new one sucks more. :D

This new one was HORRIBLE, the only good thing I can remember from it was Charlie, I liked him and thought they cast a great kid in the role. Too bad for Freddie Highmore that he didn't have a good movie to star in. :(

Was Tim Burton setting out to make a POS movie here? :confused: I ask because the way he effed up with the Oompa Loompas really makes me wonder. :( Bad, bad, bad job in that regard, the whole thing with replicating Deep Roy a million times over was BAD. :(

And those songs the Oompas sang, UGH was that painful.

In the first Wonka movie, I was disgusted by the musical aspect of it (starting with the singing pedophile in the candy store) so I expected this new movie to be better in that regard, but boy was I wrong ! :D Those Oompa songs were terrible and it left me wishing for the crappy songs of the first movie.

But in the end I won't ever really argue as to which movie is "better," because they're both bad, but I think the new one sucked more. :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

BTW, anybody who complains about Anakin Skywalker's "Yippee"s in Episode 1 should go watch this movie and see that old coot Grampa Joe say it in this new movie, suddenly Jake Lloyd's performance is Oscar-Worthy. lol lol lol lol lol

Mandalorian Candidat
11-27-2005, 11:27 PM
BTW, anybody who complains about Anakin Skywalker's "Yippee"s in Episode 1 should go watch this movie and see that old coot Grampa Joe say it in this new movie, suddenly Jake Lloyd's performance is Oscar-Worthy. lol lol lol lol lol

The only thing that was good in this movie were the old codgers. Grampa Joe was pretty cool, though he'd get his A kicked easily by the first Grampa Joe. Grampa George was a cranky old coot but had some good lines. The best was Christopher Lee as WW's dentist dad. Some damn fine casting there. :thumbsup: