PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Asajj Ventress and Ep. 3 (just a thought)

RooJay
08-22-2003, 12:04 AM
The other day I was surfing the net and came upon an interesting bit of info. According to a report I read at Cinecon.com the official site had hosted a webchat with Rick McCallum in which good ol' Rick had let loose that in the movie "Count Dooku will use only one lightsaber but another Sith Lord will use two...". This of course turned out to be a bit of a misquote; as most of us around here no doubt know. What Rick actually said was more to the effect of there being someone else who would wield two sabers, rather than another Sith specifically.
This did get me thinking, however.

I remember it being brought up in discussion here about whether or not we might see the Clone Wars character Asajj Ventress in Episode 3. Since I tend to think she's a pretty cool character, I actually started giving it some thought. At the time, it had recently been hinted that another expanded universe character would be making an appearance, and shortly thereafter it was announced that actress Bai Ling had been added to the cast.
Letting my imagination wander, I found myself struck at how closely Ms. Ling resembles the images we have seen of Ventress. I actually began to wonder if it might not be true.
Later, it was mentioned that Bai Ling was cast in the role of a "senator", and I quickly decided that my idle imaginings were without merit.
Somehow the idea crept back into my head, and I started looking at the rumors and what we actually know about the issue. I began wondering how all these crazy ideas might possibly fit in together. Could Bai Ling be playing a senator and still be Asajj Ventress? That's crazy, right?
Hearing the news that Rick McCallum had apparently stated in that webchat that there would be another Sith aside from Dooku who will use two lightsabers, the notion came back. The one Sith that came to mind who was known for wielding two lightsabers upon hearing that was Ventress. Playing around with the notion, I found myself trying to make it work. I thought to myself how Asajj Ventress is a bald, pseudo-sith female with two lightsabers, and tried to reconcile that with the idea of whether or not Ventress could possibly be the EU character that we've been told we'd see in Episode 3. If so, could Bai Ling's role possibly be the same as Ventress? Asajj Ventress would be a character closely tied the Sith order, and therefore would also be tied with Darth Sidious. Darth Sidious also happens to be Chancellor Palpatine - who oversees the senate. Bai Ling's character is said to be a senator so she'd certainly also have some connection to Palpatine. Thinking about Palpatine and his senate duties, I suddenly remembered his wicked cool lookin' assistant Sly Moore (see where I'm goin' now?). Sly Moore, who happens to be a scary lookin', pasty faced, bald chick with close ties to Palpatine!
I also recalled those images I had seen in the Art of Episode 2 book of the early character designs for Attack of the Clones' new Sith Lord (back before Dooku was thought up) that eventually became Asajj Ventress. In the book, there are a series of sketches of the character that appear to be sequential. In what is apparently the first image, her entire body except for her head is obscured under a robe; quite similar to the look of Sly Moore, in my opinion.
I also noted how easily Bai Ling's facial characteristics could substitute for those of the actress who originated the role of Sly Moore.
Granted, I haven't been keeping up with the Star Wars comics series since Ventress made her debut so I admittedly know very little of the character's backstory, if any has been revealed. I honestly can't speak to that, and would be at a loss to try and reconcile any of that with this theory.
Also, even as I write this, I realize how impossible it would probably be that Mace Windu, Yoda, Obi Wan and the other Jedi could have dealt with Ventress and not instantly have recognized her as Palpatine's rather distinctive looking assistant.
Still, I thought the whole idea was interesting enough to put forth for discussion. I make no claims that it is even remotely possible, and I've certainly moved past such idle notions. The most interesting thing about that whole thought process is how excited all the rumors and especially the Hyperspace content (which, sadly, I have no other access to currently than my friends here in the forums. Thanks for sharing guys!) has gotten me for Episode 3! My mind is ablaze with possibilities of what might be in store for us in what will unfortunately be the LAST Star Wars movie ever made (for better or worse).

Rumors abound, and my hopes are high.

The truth is out there. Trust no one. ;)

Jargo
08-22-2003, 10:59 AM
I'd like to see Asajj in the movie just becase they've wanted a feale Sith for a long time and now would be the only chance. Plus she's got a cool look. Lucas has a thing for bald chicks so just add this one in like his tetish for Aayla secura, a semi clad chick with head deformations like many other chicks in star wars. I can see Asajj appealing to lucas and being included somehow even as a sparring opoonent to Anakin as a trial set up by Palpy. Perhaps she is the one to kill Dooku and then in turn Anakin will kill her.

All pure speculation and conjecture of course. :)

JEDIpartner
08-22-2003, 02:32 PM
I would love to see Asajj in Episode III. I just hope that she wouldn't be used the way most of the Jedi in the Arena were... or Aurra Sing for that matter! Background characters are not REALLY characters!!! They are screen filler!! I think there could be a very substantial character in Ms. Ventress and I would hate to see it wasted in just the comic books and the "Clone Wars" cartoon.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-22-2003, 05:41 PM
Next time Ricky hosts a chat, why doesn't someone ask if Asajj will be in the film? In the event that you can get a word in, of course.

I don't read the comics, but Asajj seems cool. I'm still hoping Rena Owen (playing a senator) will be her. :)

tagmac
08-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Speaking of Aurra Sing, after all the treatment her character got, anyone think she'll be making an appearance in Ep. III? If nothing else, maybe as the person who kills Mace?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Speaking of Aurra Sing, after all the treatment her character got, anyone think she'll be making an appearance in Ep. III? If nothing else, maybe as the person who kills Mace?
I seriously hope she stays only a person who watches the podrace, as far as her film character goes. Killing Mace, IMO, should only go to Vader or Palpatine/Sidious.

Jargo
08-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Aurra Sing is only a personality in comic books. As far as the movies go she's merely a podrace spectator with funny hands and an antenna stuck in her head.

Asajj is more likely to be included as she's also more current in peoples minds what with the clone wars cartoons and all the comic books stuff right now.

RooJay
08-24-2003, 12:23 AM
I'd like to see Asajj in the movie just becase they've wanted a feale Sith for a long time and now would be the only chance. Plus she's got a cool look. Lucas has a thing for bald chicks so just add this one in like his tetish for Aayla secura, a semi clad chick with head deformations like many other chicks in star wars. I can see Asajj appealing to lucas and being included somehow even as a sparring opoonent to Anakin as a trial set up by Palpy. Perhaps she is the one to kill Dooku and then in turn Anakin will kill her.

All pure speculation and conjecture of course. :)

Not only does Lucas have a thing for bald chicks, the character design that has now become Asajj Ventress was his idea in the first place back when he was still developing AOTC! He'd really be missing out on something pretty cool if he leaves Ventress out of this movie. The only other stumbling block to this notion is the fact that McCallum also mentioned in the webchat that they would hold to the concept that there are only two Sith. I'm still not completely sold on that one; seems like it could be a bit of misinformation to me, and I wouldn't be shocked to find out that there actually had been more of the suckers working in the background recently.

JEDIpartner
08-25-2003, 08:50 AM
How much technical difference is there between a Sith and a Dark Jedi?

RooJay
08-25-2003, 05:24 PM
How much technical difference is there between a Sith and a Dark Jedi?

I've often wondered that myself. Afterall, even if there is a major difference, since Ventress is at least a Dark Jedi, and also a follower/agent of Sidious (who is a Sith)...wouldn't that technically, at least vicariously, a Sith also? Hopefully George will see fit to explain what the distinction is exactly at some point.

TheDarthVader
08-25-2003, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't mind if Aurra Sing appears in EpIII. I think it would be cool after all of the hype from EpI. Apparently, she is force sensitive and uses the force to track down jedi.
As far as the sith with two sabers goes, I am thinking...Darth Vader with two lightsabers. Maybe Anakin had been practicing with two since his loss to Dooku. I think it would be awesome to see Vader with two. He would need two if he were to face many jedi knights/masters in the great purge. Just a thought.

JEDIpartner
08-26-2003, 07:48 AM
I've often wondered that myself. Afterall, even if there is a major difference, since Ventress is at least a Dark Jedi, and also a follower/agent of Sidious (who is a Sith)...wouldn't that technically, at least vicariously, a Sith also? Hopefully George will see fit to explain what the distinction is exactly at some point.

Yeah... it's been so confusing and vague to me. I mean, I suppose, a "Dark Jedi" could just be a Jedi that's kinda evil and not practising the Sith religion. It is a religion, isn't it? I dunno... "Lllloooooooocy! Jou gots some 'slpainin' to do!" :p

InsaneJediGirl
08-27-2003, 06:15 AM
I think a Dark Jedi is someone just dabbling in the Sith "Arts" and have not fully committed themselves.With Sith are full-fledged baddies:D

Moving on,Asajj Ventress would be cool to have in E3.A nice way to tie in the comic books and the Clone Wars.

aceguide
08-27-2003, 08:38 AM
The only other stumbling block to this notion is the fact that McCallum also mentioned in the webchat that they would hold to the concept that there are only two Sith. I'm still not completely sold on that one; seems like it could be a bit of misinformation to me, and I wouldn't be shocked to find out that there actually had been more of the suckers working in the background recently.

I too am not sold. Just look at the cartoon - Asajj, Dooku and Sidous - not equal to two according to my calculations. Maybe I missed something and she is one of these "dark jedi."

I really like Roojay's Sly Moore theory. It would be a great twist to have her come to life as a bad a#@ double lightsaber wielding sith at an opportune moment!

RooJay
08-27-2003, 08:21 PM
I too am not sold. Just look at the cartoon - Asajj, Dooku and Sidous - not equal to two according to my calculations. Maybe I missed something and she is one of these "dark jedi."

I really like Roojay's Sly Moore theory. It would be a great twist to have her come to life as a bad a#@ double lightsaber wielding sith at an opportune moment!

Except, as I'd stated in my first post that could prove difficult to explain how Anakin, Obi, Yoda and Mace could have direct conflicts with Asajj in the Clone Wars comics and toons and not instantly recognize her as the Chancellor's assistant, if that were the case. I agree that it made for a cool idea.

In my imagining, if there must be a distinction between the two (Sith and Dark Jedi), the difference would be that Dark Jedi would be more interested in simply using the Dark Side of the Force for petty personal gain and knowledge while the Sith are dedicated to using the Dark Side to gain the complete control and subjugation of the galaxy. I make no assumptions as to this notion being accurate or not on any level, however.