PDA

View Full Version : Darth: Title Or Name?

Lman316
08-18-2001, 07:46 PM
Okay, I know this must sound wierd, but I was thinking this a while back: in ANH, the way that Obi Wan says Darth Vader, it seems as though Darth is Vader's first name. But now with characters like Sidious and Maul having Darth added in front, it almost seems like it's a title, not a name.
My reason for thinking this was when Obi Wan said: "Only a master of evil, Darth." Now, if Darth was a title, like Mister, for example, would you say: "Only a master of evil, Mister" ? I mean, I know that you could say that, but it doesn't sound right, lol.
So, my question is (after all that rambling I just did) was the word Darth meant to be a title of a Sith or just Vader's first name?

Oh, BTW, how do you get the icons on the side of the post? I used to use Plo Koon, but I don't see any drop box to select it anymore.

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 07:56 PM
Up until Ep1 I believed that Darth was a name, and I think it was intended to be for the OT. Whatever possessed GL to make it a Sith title, we'll never know.

The little picture you're talking about is called an 'avatar,' which you can choose in the 'user cp: edit options' section.

the master jedi
08-18-2001, 09:08 PM
I've always thought of Darth as a title.

humsup
08-18-2001, 09:50 PM
Yeah, it was until EPI that I realise there's lots of "Darth" around. Then I conclude myself that this supposed to be a tittle for the Sith.

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 07:07 AM
I think Lucas initially wanted it to be a name, but it worked better by ESB as a title, so he just ran with that.

Eternal Padawan
08-19-2001, 09:17 AM
I always thought it was another word for "Lord" Lord Vader, Darth Vader. Kind of like Moff and Governor were interchangable. I never thought Darth was his first name like Doug Vader or Ricky Vader.

And Obi Wan was kind of spitting it at him when he said "Only a master of evil, DARTH." Like he was insulting him for taking that title, knowing it was Anakin under all that hardware.

Huckleberry Josh
08-19-2001, 01:20 PM
I always thought it was a title and a name . If you are a good enough Sith , you earn the title "Darth" and it simply becomes a name . But it also could be another name for "lord". I'm not really sure .

Darth Cruel
08-20-2001, 02:07 AM
I am with JT on this one. It has the feel of originally being intended as a name and having been changed to a title later (which was actually earlier) in the overall story.

GNT
08-20-2001, 04:00 AM
I think its a title given to a Sith in which it becomes a name

So "Darth Vader" is a title and is part of his name,but thats IMO :)

JEDIpartner
08-20-2001, 08:44 AM
Well... as evidenced in the EU book that covers the "history" of the STAR WARS galaxy, there are a ton of Darths running around in there! So... I think it was probably after ANH that he decided it was a title and not a first name.

BenQuad
08-20-2001, 09:35 AM
This is a lot like the old "Bail" debate.

Bail Organa, Bail Antillies - Title or name?

evenflow
08-20-2001, 09:52 AM
I have to say that Darth is a title. Not a name.

Eternal Padawan
08-20-2001, 11:57 AM
Bail, I think is a name. It's the "John" of the Star Wars universe. And if Antilles is the "Smith" of the Star Wars Universe, then Bail Antilles is really "John Smith" Hmmmm...I wonder if that's his REAL name...

El Chuxter
08-20-2001, 06:04 PM
Agree with EP and JT I do. Darth was originally intended as a name and became a title (DARk lord of the siTH). Most Sith Lords dispense with their birth names and take a Darth title. Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader, for instance. And I'm sure that Frank and Edna Maul aren't running around on Iridonia looking for their lost son. The only exception to this rule is Sidious/Palpatine; the Darth title is discarded after he became Emperor and the title became unnecessary. (Vader kept the title, since any evidence he was Anakin was destroyed.)

Obi-Wan uses the title alone to mock Vader.

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 05:24 AM
"Frank and Edna Maul, they're good people, I don't know how the apple could have fallen so far from the tree with that son of their's."

;)

Chux, I agree with your assessment of how the Emp went from Palpatine to Darth Sidious and then back to Palpatine. That's what makes sense to me, when he becomes such a public figure, he doesn't want folks to know he's a Sith lord, he wants them to think he's a weak and foolish old man.

2-1B
08-22-2001, 02:21 AM
Chuxter, thanks for the lesson on DARk lord of the siTH. In my ignorance that NEVER occurred to me.

Darth_Setnom
08-25-2001, 09:57 PM
I think it's a name... you know, once you become a full "Sith Knight" you leave your past behind you and forget about everything in it. That includes your name. You become a different person so you need a name.

And Darth is probably the part of the name that shows everyone that you beolong to the Sith Order, or family. OK, not everyone but in case someone hears you are "Darth" something, tey'll know you're a bad guy with a lot of power and that they shouldn't mess with you.

The_Collector
08-26-2001, 04:08 PM
I read somwhere that Darth Vader roughly translated into Dark Father (Darth = Dark, and Vader being the welsh word for Father). And if you notice, both Maul and Sidious names translate out. Darth Maul meaning Dark Killer, and Darth Sidious, meaning Darth Sly. I can't really vouch for the EU darth names, (i.e. Darth Bane, Darth.....)

JediTricks
08-27-2001, 10:21 AM
Sidious = "Insidious" = Working or spreading harmfully in a subtle or stealthy manner. (example: insidious rumors; an insidious disease) It's from the latin, "insidiae" = to ambush.

Maul = To injure by or as if by beating, it's root is direct.

El Chuxter
08-27-2001, 11:06 AM
Add an "In" to "Sidious" and you get Insidious, as JT pointed out. Also (and I wish I could take credit for this, but I read it in a magazine), if you add "In" to "Vader", you get Invader, as in an Invader in the Jedi ranks. Probably just the former English major in me trying to put too much significance on everything! :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
01-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Okay, I know this must sound wierd, but I was thinking this a while back: in ANH, the way that Obi Wan says Darth Vader, it seems as though Darth is Vader's first name. But now with characters like Sidious and Maul having Darth added in front, it almost seems like it's a title, not a name.
My reason for thinking this was when Obi Wan said: "Only a master of evil, Darth." Now, if Darth was a title, like Mister, for example, would you say: "Only a master of evil, Mister" ? I mean, I know that you could say that, but it doesn't sound right, lol.
So, my question is (after all that rambling I just did) was the word Darth meant to be a title of a Sith or just Vader's first name?

I think he was using Darth as a name but new that it's a title. Obbers was just using the title in a more informal manner.

pbarnard
01-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Darth seems to be a Sith fad. But hey, what do I know, I just go by the Writers Holocron and what LL says.

sith_killer_99
01-15-2010, 09:49 AM
and the 2010 Necropost of the year award goes to...

:laugh:

RoonStones
01-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Who knows? It probably started out as a first name, but like all things Star Wars, it gets retconned over the years ot make up for Lucas' revisions. Knowing how GL frequently says he had the entire story mapped out in 1975 or something like that, he might say he thought "Darth" was a title all along, but four things come to mind to make me believe "Darth" wasn't originally intended to be a title.

1. The most obvious is Obi-Wan's use of "Darth" as a name prior to the duel on the Death Star.

2. The writing of "Lord Darth Vader" in the ending credits of ANH

3. The use of only "Vader" as a name in formal references, as "Lord Vader" or as an indirect reference from Yoda - "Lord" Vader being the frequent title given to him.

4. The absence of "Darth" for Emperor Palpatine in ROTJ. Had it been established early on that Darth was a title, wouldn't the Emperor have been called Darth Palpatine?

In any event, I'm not so much worried by the slight-of-hand change of Darth from name to title as I am with Lucas' rather silly attempts at naming all subsequent Darths with particular verbs and adjectives.

I'm waiting for Darth Jerk and Darth Pain-in-the-Butt

sith_killer_99
01-15-2010, 12:51 PM
I have to shoot down #4.

It was not common to refer to Palpatine as anything other than "The Emperor" in the OT, by that time that was how people knew him, either "Emperor Palpatine" or simply "The Emperor".

Also Darth Sidious was his Sith name, calling him Darth Palpatine would be akin to calling Darth Vader "Darth Skywalker". :p

Bel-Cam Jos
01-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Add an "In" to "Sidious" and you get Insidious, as JT pointed out. Also (and I wish I could take credit for this, but I read it in a magazine), if you add "In" to "Vader", you get Invader, as in an Invader in the Jedi ranks. Probably just the former English major in me trying to put too much significance on everything! :rolleyes:Let's go crazy with that idea:

In-Han?
In-Wedge?
In-Lando... Inland, oh?
In-21B? Into one bee?
In-Leia... Inlaid, uh?
In-R2D2... In our 'tude, e-too?
In-Maul?
In-Kenobi... Ink in oh bee?
In-Greedo-in... Ingredient?
In-Jabba... Injure, uh, bah?
In-Jawa... see above?
In-Ackbar... Inactive bar?
In-Chewie... Inch, ew, ee!
In-Watto?
In-Wald?
In-Nute... Innuit?
In-Ewok... Innie walk?

I quit. No fun no more. :( BTW, "darth" is simply an acronym for "don't answer right, then hesitate."

JEDIpartner
01-17-2010, 08:35 AM
1. The most obvious is Obi-Wan's use of "Darth" as a name prior to the duel on the Death Star.

See... I dunno about that. It seems like it could be a title as opposed to a name even in that instance.

"You can't win, Commander", for example.

So... it's really hard to say and why are we exploring this anyhow??!!!! :tired:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2010, 09:52 AM
So... it's really hard to say and why are we exploring this anyhow??!!!! :tired:Why do birds, suddenly appear, everytime, you are near...?

JimJamBonds
01-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I have to shoot down #4.

It was not common to refer to Palpatine as anything other than "The Emperor" in the OT, by that time that was how people knew him, either "Emperor Palpatine" or simply "The Emperor".

I agree, plus I'd think Palpers would want to keep the whole Sith thing on the down low.

dr_evazan22
01-17-2010, 11:12 AM
If Jennifer Love Hewitt were a Sith (and who doesn't think she is?!?) her name would be Darth Vagazzle-Your-Vajayjay!

Slicker
01-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Congrats JJB2! You should've almost kept this link to yourself for another year so you could necro a 10 year old thread! Epic...

Darth is definitely a title. I would have to compare it to the Jedi using the word "Master" before there name. Darth Vader = Master Skywalker.

No more discussion. Close down the thread for I have spoken.

JimJamBonds
01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Congrats JJB2! You should've almost kept this link to yourself for another year so you could necro a 10 year old thread! Epic...

Don't worry Slick there may be a 10th anniversary special on this thread. :D

Brian_Fortuna
01-27-2010, 02:14 PM
When I was a kid, my Mom told me she thought it was a rank. I kinda see her as being right, since we now know there are many "Darths".

Bel-Cam Jos
01-28-2010, 11:36 PM
But as a teacher, I've seen far too many Brittanys, Zacharys, Codys, Taylors, etc. in my classes, and those aren't titles.

JimJamBonds
01-29-2010, 06:00 PM
But as a teacher, I've seen far too many Brittanys, Zacharys, Codys, Taylors, etc. in my classes, and those aren't titles.

George Carlin did a GREAT bit about 9 years ago about "goofy boys names" he says pretty much what you said BCJ.

Quinlain_Vos
02-14-2010, 10:57 PM
ya darth is definatly a title from the sith (thats the species) language a contraction of two words dar and ath meaning roughly life everlasting. probably because it is the overall goal of all sith to gain immortality in one way or another