PDA

View Full Version : Tarkin WILL be in Episode III

I am Jabba the Hutt
08-25-2003, 11:39 AM
I started a new thread so that everyone would see it & that it won't get buried in some other thread.

Quoted from www.theforce.net

EP3: SPY REPORT: Running for Office
Mon, Aug 25, 03 01:48:44 AM EDT

TFN insiders today have confirmed some long awaited news about a possible character from A New Hope making an Episode III cameo. Here's the word you've been waiting for:
Fans for some time have continued to speculate on whether or not Tarkin would appear in Episode III. The Grand Moff would have to be a younger version and bear a striking resemblance to the veteran actor - considering the powerful performance that Peter Cushing gave in the original Star Wars.
Anyhow, here's what I know: he is in Episode III. I'm not sure who's playing him and how large the role is - but who cares - I can tell you he's in 100% for sure.

Beast
08-25-2003, 12:04 PM
I said it before, and I'll say it again. James Marsters with the proper make-up would make an excellent young Tarkin. He's got the skull face that's perfect to ensure he looks the part. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18097

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-25-2003, 12:07 PM
No no no. he's got the wrong eyes and he's too tall. He can't do a British accent to save his life and his voice is wrong. Ralph fiennes is the only choice for tarkin he even looks exactly like a young peter cushing and has the same class of upbringing and manners. A quiet gentlteman who can play uteerrly evil without even trying.

jedi master sal
08-25-2003, 12:44 PM
Wow, EJ, your right man. I had another choice (who's name completely escapes me right now), but Ralph Fiennes would make a great young Tarkin!

Beast
08-25-2003, 12:55 PM
He's the same height as Tarkin, going by both of their IMDB profiles and Tarkin's SW.Com's Profile. 1.8 meters. So he's not too tall at all. And Ralph Fiennes doesn't look right to me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
08-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Both Marsters and Fiennes have the wrong nose for Tarkin. Also, Marsters is a terrible actor who CANNOT do an english accent to save his life.

Fienes, ofcourse, is a great actor...but I just don't see him as tarkin. My personal preferance was for Gary Oldman. he's about the right age, AND he plays evil as well as Cushing ever did. I also think Robert Carlyle would be a nice choice, which could lead to a lovely scene between carlyle and his trainspotting buddy Ewan....

DarthChuckMc
08-25-2003, 02:27 PM
I've always heard the lines, but not thought about them from Tarkin's POV, always just Vader's about facing his former master.

It would make since to have Tarkin in EP3 based on this conversation.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Darth Vader paces the room as Governor Tarkin sits at the far
end of the conference table.

VADER: He is here...

TARKIN: Obi-Wan Kenobi! What makes you think so?

VADER: A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the
presence of my old master.

TARKIN: Surely he must be dead by now.

VADER: Don't underestimate the power of the Force.

TARKIN: The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe.
You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

There is a quiet buzz on the comlink.

TARKIN: Yes.

INTERCOM VOICE: Governor Tarkin, we have an emergency alert in
detention block A A-twenty-three.

TARKIN: The princess! Put all sections on alert!

VADER: Obi-Wan is here. The Force is with him.

TARKIN: If you're right, he must not be allowed to escape.

VADER: Escape is not his plan. I must face him alone.

TheDarthVader
08-25-2003, 03:07 PM
Weird that you mention that DarthChuck...I was about to start a thread which asks, "How does Vader know that escape is not Kenobi's plan?" Maybe someone could make a quick post here so I don't have to start a new thread. (Sorry about changing subjects but I really want to know how Vader knew).

Tarkin issue: Great! Tarking belongs in Episode III. I personally don't care who plays the part. Let's just hope Lucas makes a good choice.

thrawndude
08-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Sorry to get off topic here a bit, but wouldn't it be cool as well if Lucas had a little cameo of Thrawn? Maybe just a shot of him commanding a star destroyer going to the outer regions perhaps? I dont know just kind of a deep down wish for me lol.

RooJay
08-25-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm definitely with Jargo on this one. I've been saying all along how much I've thought Ralph Fiennes resembles the young Peter Cushing. I honestly don't see any of Cushing in James Marsters. Examining pics of both actors and comparing them to Cushing in his younger years, I don't see how anyone could disagree that Fiennes bares a much more striking resemblance. I'd also like to add, yet again, that Fiennes is, without a doubt, the better actor of the two as well.

I submit the following evidence (again):
Cushing - http://www.imdb.com/EGallery?source=mptv&group=1266&photo=Mptv/1266/19853_0001.jpg&path=pgallery&path_key=Cushing,%20Peter

Fiennes - http://us.imdb.com/EGallery?source=ss&group=0278731&photo=Ss/0278731/spider_09.jpg&path=pgallery&path_key=Fiennes,%20Ralph

Marsters - http://us.imdb.com/EGallery?source=granitz&group=1160&photo=Events/1160/marsters_james&path=pgallery&path_key=Marsters,%20James

I rest my case. :p

Beast
08-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Unfortunatly Roojay, we're casting a 'Young Tarkin'. Not a 'Young Cushing'. And Marsters definatly looks more the part, in that case. After all, we want a resemblance to the character we remember. Not to the actor that played them. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
08-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Unfortunatly Roojay, we're casting a 'Young Tarkin'. Not a 'Young Cushing'. And Marsters definatly looks more the part, in that case. After all, we want a resemblance to the character we remember. Not to the actor that played them. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Erm..............even if the characters happens to most resemble the actor that played them...crazy as that sounds.... :crazed: :crazed:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-25-2003, 05:45 PM
This will be very cool, Tarkin in Episode III. For classic characters (not counting the ones in TPM/AOTC), so far that's:
*Darth Vader
*Chewbacca
*Mon Mothma
*Ackbar (or some other Mon Calamari)
*Tarkin

I agree with other people on here, Ralph would be a good choice for Tarkin. He has 20 years between Episode III and IV to get really really skinny. :p

Jargo
08-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Sitting them all side by side and making them all B&W makes it clearer that marsters has absolutely the wrong facial type and is actually far too young to be Tarkin. Fiennes would need but a tiny prosthetic to change his nose shape and become Peter cushing in his younger days. To be fair to Ralph that pic is of him looking rougher than he normally does and a picture from Schindlers list might have better suited the illustration. Robert carlysle is actually not a bad choice because he has a similar sized head to Cushing and the same nose. Contact lenses and a good wig would be needed. But so far only the two british actors make me sit up and take notice.

RooJay
08-25-2003, 06:16 PM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Fortunately JJB, "we" are not casting the role at all, and for my money, I'm hoping Lucas has enough sense to cast the guy who's best for the part rather than "the guy that was on Buffy". Much as I luv ya man, I'm gonna have to disagree with you wholeheartedly on this one.
For the record, the character I remember also happens to look like Peter Cushing (as opposed to one of the rejects from the Backstreet Boys ;) ). You can have it both ways. Although, I have a terrible time seeing how Marsters could be better for the role on any level. Fiennes not only resembles Tarkin more closely, he also happens to be the better actor for the role.

RooJay
08-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Sitting them all side by side and making them all B&W makes it clearer that marsters has absolutely the wrong facial type and is actually far too young to be Tarkin. Fiennes would need but a tiny prosthetic to change his nose shape and become Peter cushing in his younger days. To be fair to Ralph that pic is of him looking rougher than he normally does and a picture from Schindlers list might have better suited the illustration. Robert carlysle is actually not a bad choice because he has a similar sized head to Cushing and the same nose. Contact lenses and a good wig would be needed. But so far only the two british actors make me sit up and take notice.

Wow.

I would've used a photo from Schindler's, but that one from Spider was best I could do on such short notice. I was actually hoping to find one of Ralph in his very Imperial looking, grey german officer's uniform to best illustrate my point.

jawaboy
08-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Ralph Fiennes looks the best for the role. I can't wait to see what kind of role he'll have. Perhaps he will be in a scene with Chewbacca, which would be pretty interesting. When will we find out who they cast for the role?????