PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rome slams Star Wars fans.

darth maul rat
08-26-2003, 01:53 AM
Popular radio and television sports commentator Jim Rome slammed Star Wars fans on his radio show Monday. Rome, who is known for laying "smack" on things he does not like, was commenting on the story that Ewen McGregor had gone on drinking binges in order to deal with the publicity of Star Wars. Rome then went on a tirade, proclaiming that anyone who had to deal with the dorks and losers that Star Wars has as fans would be driven to drink, and that the series itself had made drunks and drug users out of most of the cast. During one bit, while commenting on how many movies Ewan had appeared in, he informed the listening audience that if they knew the answer to they, they were a complete loser.

It is not the first time that Rome has gone after fans of Star Wars and other related Science Fiction genres. Recently, when Gen-Con came to my home city of Indianapolis, Rome went on a tirade about how terrible it would be for any city to have to deal with that. He went on to refer to fans as a bunch of losers with no lives who dress up in costumes and sit around talking about things that never happened. Ironically, he was gearing up for an appearance in Detroit as part of his World Tour, a series of quarterly shows that take him to cities where his show is affiliated. Here, sportsfans dress up in throwback jersies, get drunk and yell and scream each time a sports figure takes the stage. Rome does not seem to get the irony of that situation.

The amazing thing is that he can condemn a guy for dressing up like a Stormtrooper, but do his best to entertain a guy who has just dropped a hundred bucks for a throwback jersey (usually size XXX) of someone whose career is long over.

In a segment before the offensive remarks, Rome interviewed Archie Manning, a football player from the 70's, and father of Quarterbacks Payton and Eli Manning. Manning was on the show to pitch his work with Direct Tv and its Sunday Football package. Rome spent the most of the first segment going over Manning's accomplishments, and then let callers do the same. Manning's current work was mentioned for a few moments and then it was back into the past. While I found this an enjoyable interview, again I found it ironic that here was a guy condemning SW fans for our inability to appreciate the work an actor does after Star Wars, yet he spent most of his interview rehashing all Manning's accomplishments and little on what he was doing now.

The fact is I think we, as Star Wars fans, do quite a bit to support the work of the cast after Star Wars. While I missed Down With Love at the theater, I will catch it on DVD, and that is because due to Star Wars, I have come to apprecitate Ewan's acting ability. And while I personally don't dress up in SW costume, I know several guys who do, and I think they have as much fun, if not more, than the drunks who show up at the world tours.

Sorry if it seems like I went on and on here. Like so many of you, Star Wars has been a big part of my life and I don't like hearing people run it or its fans down. You can say you don't get it. You can say you don't like it. But do not call us losers. Or dorks. Some of the guys I know who like SW could kick some serious butt.

-dmr

darth maul rat
08-26-2003, 01:55 AM
I should clarifiy one point. He commented that if the listener knew which ones and how many Star Wars films Ewan had been in, they were a complete loser.

-dmr

2-1B
08-26-2003, 02:19 AM
I love Jim Rome ! :) I am a frequent "jungle dweller" and I think his show is exceptional.

I remember nearly 5 years ago in '98 when those loons showed up to see Meet Joe Black only to leave after the TPM trailers and Romey had a field day with it way back then.

Frankly, the "Meet Joe Black Incident" was embarrassing to me as a fan of Star Wars. :p
Rome wasn't the only person ripping on them, I was quite guilty myself. ;)

QLD
08-26-2003, 02:39 AM
Hate to disagree with Caesar, but Jim Rome sucks.

He can diss SW fans all he wants, hell, I do it all the time.

But i think his show sucks, and he sucks. He is so egocentric, it is painful to listen to. A local AM affiliate quit airing his show here, in order to run a local show, and he had some bad things to say about that too. Personally, I think he sucks hardcore, but not because of his dislike for Star Wars.

2-1B
08-26-2003, 03:02 AM
He may be egocentric . . . but it's because he's the best in the business. ;)
The athlete guest lists he puts together speak to that, in part.

You know who I can't STAND? It's that Kornheiser jackalope :rolleyes: And I also don't Dan Patrick's show (nothing personal because he seems like a cool guy) -- his style is bland.

Damn I really despise that Tony Kornheiser though. :evil:

Tonysmo
08-26-2003, 03:16 AM
Im sorta iffy.. I think Rome is funny, in the sense that he calls em as HE sees em. most of time, depending on the issue, I can pretty much agree with him, and of course with others, I think he is way off base. Thats the joy of free speech.. he just happens to have a spolight. What gets me, is you know, and I know, that he can diss SW all he wants. It will never change the opinons of the millions of SW fans will it? dont think so. He may even lose some of his listeners... He has an email address ya know. email him and tell him what you think. heck he may even read it on his show and rip you a new one. if you do though, make sure you tell him there is a legion of SW folks with big Gaffi sticks.. either that or tell him Chris Everett shoulda kicked his butt!

seriously though - people in general say alot of things. some things of course are more hurtful than others. the only thing that you can do to prevent being bummed by such comments is to - let it slide...

and then vent on these boards!! Whoo Hoooo!!!

2-1B
08-26-2003, 03:26 AM
Well said Tony, I don't always agree with him but I like his style. :cool:

"Chris" Everett was a punk. :crazed: He knew perfectly well that Rome was gonna call him that on the air but he went on anyway . . . and then couldn't handle what he already knew was coming. Despicable behavior. :)

DarthChuckMc
08-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Seems like he's just trying to get a rise outta people. He bashes SW and it's fans, we write letters to his show, he gets attention, some of us will listen to see if he brings it up, blah blah blah.

Most radio guys are attention craving loud mouths that want only one thing..To be as popular as Howard Stern. He created the shock format, and all these guys are doing, is a variation on a theme, and most of them are doing it badly.

As soon as one of "ours" sends him a nasty email, he'll get on the air and "dis" the guy/gal, and say how they are wasting their life, etc, etc...and we all know that sports fans are just as bad, if not worse when it comes to our hobbies/passions.

I've never seen 30 people in Darth Vader costumes, drunk at a TGI Friday's on a Monday night, screaming at the TVs and spilling beer on themselves.

To me, that is more ridiculous that a guy in Stormtrooper armor in front of a convention center door greating fans with his plastic gun, saying "Go about your business...move along, move along."

Kidhuman
08-26-2003, 09:00 AM
To me, that is more ridiculous that a guy in Stormtrooper armor in front of a convention center door greating fans with his plastic gun, saying "Go about your business...move along, move along."

Why we gotta bring Bobafrett into it???????? :crazed: :crazed:

Anyway, it is the love-hate relationship with Jim Rome. You love to hate him but listen anyway. He tells it like it is, stright foward, blunt, and funny. His callers annoy me with that crap they spew. Half of it makes no sense. If he wants to bash SW, let him. I have no choice but to listen to him because he is the only sports radio I get besides VT football(icky poo poo)

derek
08-26-2003, 09:06 AM
is Jim Rome the guy who was taunting former LA Rams quarterback jim evertt a while back and evertt flipped the table on him? what was the story with that?

Kidhuman
08-26-2003, 09:09 AM
is Jim Rome the guy who was taunting former LA Rams quarterback jim evertt a while back and evertt flipped the table on him? what was the story with that?

Rome kept calling himChris Everett and Jim told him if you do it again I will whip your arse. SoJim said Ok..............Chris

and it was on

derek
08-26-2003, 09:27 AM
Rome kept calling himChris Everett and Jim told him if you do it again I will whip your arse. SoJim said Ok..............Chris

and it was on

....but why was rome doing this? i assume he was calling jim everett a girl, as in chirs everett, the female tennis player? why would he insult his guests?

Trip J
08-26-2003, 09:34 AM
So if I like Star Wars, Monday night Football, and beer does that make me a loser three times over? :confused:

Rats, my life apparently really sucks...

DarthChuckMc
08-26-2003, 09:39 AM
So if I like Star Wars, Monday night Football, and beer does that make me a loser three times over? :confused:

Rats, my life apparently really sucks...

Let me look into my Yoda magic 8 ball...............

Yes...yes you are. :Pirate:

j/k of course. :D

Arrogant Arse
08-26-2003, 09:55 AM
I agree with you DMR. I live in Metro Detroit, and heard his comments about Gen-Con. I too thought it VERY odd that he would diss Gen-Con when his "clones" (Isn't that a SW Reference?!?!?:D) were coming to worship him the same weekend?

I got into a discussion with my brother-in-law, who HATES Jim Rome, and we both agreed that he really should take a step back and look at his own Sport-Geek fans.

Next weekend, I'm gonna put on my Brett Favre Jersey and sit and watch Football all weekend, then put on my Luke Skywalker outfit to view Empire Strikes Back.

any Differences?

I didn't think so.:D

Really I think he was jealous that he couldn't go to Gen-Con. Apparently, he couldn't fit his Darth Vader Helmet over his BIG HEAD.:D

Trip J
08-26-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks, Chuck, for confirming what I already knew.

And BTW, Rome is a jackstick, I can't stand him. I will listen occasionally if I can't get anything else on the radio, but that's about it. Actually, I was listening yesterday on my way home from work and one of his callers was talking about how another one of his callers should go "Hemmingway" and kill themself. To his credit, Rome cut the dude off, but he really gets some ignorant (and in many cases downright scary) fools calling into that show. I would say, generally speaking, his fans would rate much higher onthe lowlife scale than even the worst SW fans.

I'll take the Dan Patrick Show any time. I find him and Ron Dibble to be thoroughly entertaining and informative without being insulting.

DarthChuckMc
08-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks, Chuck for confirming what I already knew.

No problem...I knew that Yoda Magic 8 Ball would come in handy for something other than getting dates....which it hasn't been very succesful at come to think of it.....darn Yoda Magic 8 Ball.

good shot jansen
08-26-2003, 10:23 AM
when driving in my car, i listen to rome when he's on.

i don't care very much for his tirades, or his cool (in his mind) use of the slangs he chooses for everyday conversation. (how many times a minute does he call money jack? or cars sleds?....sheeeesh).

i do like most of the interviews that he does. he does get some very good guests, and somehow manages to get them to talk brilliantly on his show, better than on any other talk radio show.

the one sports talk show that i truely enjoy thoroughly is tony bruno.

he keeps a constant smile on my face with his wit and humor :)

mabudonicus
08-26-2003, 11:48 AM
He's probably JarJarbinks or something and he's trying to be clever by throwing us off the scent

Rogue II
08-26-2003, 12:03 PM
I only see/listen to Jim Rome on occasion. Sometimes, he has good points, but he is always a prick.

JON9000
08-26-2003, 01:45 PM
I find it ironic that Mr. Rome feels the need to bash Star Wars fans when the yahoos who apparently call themselves "clones" call into his show to do nothing but string together monosyllabic words in some lame effort to insult Kobe Bryant's accuser.

And as for Mr. Rome himself- why doesn't he just drop the Captain Kirk on crack speech pattern... it gets really annoying. I have listened to Mr. Rome on several occasions, and every now and then he has something clever to say, but usually he just comes off a loudmouth blow hard, someone who uses his time to insult others all day rather than contribute to the world in any meaningful way. It is important to keep in mind that he is an entertainer (something akin to a court jester), rather than a serious journalist. Makes me miss good old Mike and the Mad Dog on 660 in NYC.

It is for these reasons that I have no problem with what Mr. Rome has to say- :stupid:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-26-2003, 10:22 PM
So, he called us all geeks and dorks, eh...funny, i've been told that numerous times over and it still makes me giggle. I'm just happy we're getting national attention now!!

Our rise to power is on the helm, kids!! Long live the geeks, dweebs and dorks!! :D

EricRG
08-26-2003, 10:59 PM
Jim Rome is the Howard Stern of sports talkshows.

I used to like him on the radio before he came on TV. Lots of attitude. But since then, to me, he is an egomaniac. Must be the piles of cash.

DarthChuckMc
08-26-2003, 11:00 PM
Jim Rome is the Howard Stern of sports talkshows.

I used to like him on the radio before he came on TV. Lots of attitude. But since then, to me, he is an egomaniac. Must be the piles of cash.

Who...Howard or Jim?

or both?

EricRG
08-26-2003, 11:02 PM
Both. That's why I compared them. But I guess it has moreso gone to Rome's head, since Stern was already making beaucoup bucks before E!.

2-1B
08-26-2003, 11:23 PM
....but why was rome doing this? i assume he was calling jim everett a girl, as in chirs everett, the female tennis player? why would he insult his guests?

Rome called Jim Everett "Chris" because Rome saw him as a soft QB (fair appraisal, by the way ;) )

As for "why would he insult his guests?" well like I said earlier, Jim Everett was told (long before they taped that ESPN2 show) that Romey was gonna call him Chris to his face. Rome had been doing it on air for awhile and Everett didn't like it. So he was scheduled to do Rome's show on ESPN2 and Everett was told to not even get on the plane if he didn't want to be called "Chris" on the air. Instead of sacking up (Rome reference :D) and addressing the criticisms that he was a weak QB, he threw a hissy fit to try to make a point - to me, he made the point that he WAS weak and quite a wimp. :)

I got into a discussion with my brother-in-law, who HATES Jim Rome, and we both agreed that he really should take a step back and look at his own Sport-Geek fans.[/size]

He certainly HAS. :)
Rome rips on the clones in general very often. He criticizes them for having no jobs, no money, etc. etc. etc. The very fact that he calls them clones is a dis because many of these dorks want to be exactly like Rome. I remember several years ago when a story was out that many Wisconsin businesses would lose productivity because of all the Packer fans calling in absent because of a Monday Night Football game against the Vikings. Rome was absolutely brutal in ripping on them for missing work because of their addiction. :)

i do like most of the interviews that he does. he does get some very good guests, and somehow manages to get them to talk brilliantly on his show, better than on any other talk radio show.

This is true. :)

And it's also why I think the comparison to Howard Stern is without merit. Stern gets lots of famous people on his show but his SOLE purpose is to be shocking. A big celeb might be promoting a new movie but Stern wants to hear about that person's sex life. :rolleyes:
Conversely, Rome has celebrity guests and does serious interviews with them. He respects sports and for the most part conducts sports interviews. Professional. :)

Sorry, I just don't buy the comparison to Stern. ;)

darth maul rat
08-27-2003, 12:06 AM
Man, when I started this, I did not realize there would be this much response already.

First let me clarify a few things. Not that anyone inferred this from my post, but I am a sports fan. About the only team sport I have never gotten into is baseball. Other than that, I can just about watch anything. A year and half ago, I discovered sports radio, and was hooked. Like Good Shot Jansen, one of my favorites is Tony Bruno, that is when he is actually on. (Jansen should get that. :) ) Also, one of our local guys Mark Patrick is starting to get some nationwide exposure. I do not, by any means, knock sports fans, because I am one.

As it goes, Jim Rome's comments mean nothing to me. But I needed to vent, so I posted. I didn't listen to him today, but that was due to work keeping me from a radio. Tomorrow morning, I will turn on the radio, see what Bruno is talking about, and maybe later in the day see if Rome is still on his Star Wars rant.

Not that he would get much out of it, but I think Rome and people like him would benefit from reading your posts. I actually wondered how many of you would know who he is. Rome should realize that Star Wars fans are regular people, the same way a member of the "Raider Nation" is. One does not exclude the other. At the risk of starting up other chants, let me leave you with a hearty "GO COLTS!"

-DMR

kool-aid killer
08-27-2003, 10:58 AM
WHO???

Never heard of him but i dont really care for the "but he tells it like it is" argument. Give anybody a show and they can "tell it like it is." I talk trash over a lot of things. Doesnt mean im always right though. As it is, im not angry over this. We have a reputation as nerds anyways and i dont see it changing anytime soon. I think a lot of you (my fellow forum members) are cool, if not i wouldnt come to this site every day.

2-1B
08-27-2003, 12:05 PM
I didn't listen to him today, but that was due to work keeping me from a radio.

You didn't miss anything. :)
Rome was off and Skip Bayless filled in. Romanowski was the big story of the day. :rolleyes:
Rome is due back today, in fact he should be on any minute now. :)

JEDIpartner
08-27-2003, 04:00 PM
I don't even know who Jim Rome is! Most radio commentators these days are unwashed troglodites and the BIGGEST, detatched geeks anyhow. They just think they're so cool because they are on the air and have the "loudest voice".

Video didn't kill the radio star. It was the incessantly yapping DJs who did it. :o

Kidhuman
08-27-2003, 07:20 PM
As annoying as he is sometimes he willspew out something funny. I recently heard him talking abut Mo Vaughn going on the 60 day DL. He said" Mo Vaughn doesnt care about baseball since he won American Idol." I couldnt helpbut laugh myself til I was red-faced at that.

2-1B
08-27-2003, 09:52 PM
JP, he's quite washed and clean - I assure you. :)

So . . . is it safe to assume I'm the only one here who has the Jim Rome Show CD "Welcome to the Jungle" from 1998? I thought so . . . :D

JEDIpartner
08-28-2003, 03:52 PM
JP, he's quite washed and clean - I assure you.

I still wouldn't know him from a booger outta Tycho's nose! ;) :p

darth maul rat
08-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Hey

So I did tune in today and all any of them wanted to talk about was local news, that is the Pacers release of Isiah Thomas.

I understand how bowlers felt when he went off on them last month. I guess my main problem with it was the hypocrisy of blasting us when his fans are so similar.

I don't know about the rest of you but I am ready for football to begin.

-dmr

bobafrett
08-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Why we gotta bring Bobafrett into it???????? :crazed: :crazed:

I avoided reading this thread as I had read about Jim Rome's name calling on another board I post on, and also because I have worked about 12 hours straight the last three days. Anyway, I wonder what Jim Rome would think of the picture I'm attaching. I am a Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks, and Chicago Wolves fan. I went to a Cubs game in Armor, and in my Tusken outfit.

I don't know if this guy is aware that when I wear my costumes, that it doesn't mean that I'm entirely a Star Wars geek. I've been a sports fan for a long time. I got upset tonight when the Cubs lost after leading most of the game against the St. Louis redbirds. Does he know that I do charity work in my armor, to bring smiles to the faces of kids. My fellow Star Wars costumers in the 501st have gone to hospitals and visited sick children, even ones who will never get to attend a sporting event. We don't get paid, we do it because we love Star Wars, and we love being the bright spot in a childs and adults lives.

So, I'm a Star Wars geek. I know it, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I have Imperial logos on my car, I have an apartment full of my favorite collectibles, but I'm better than this guy any given day as well as everyone else who is here.

Another radio d.j. who has irked me is Mancow Muller. He bashed Star Wars, he bashed the 501st after CII, and then he had the nerve to ask the 501st Stormtroopers to be in his wedding. I refuse to listen to him anymore. I'd rather listen to a station that plays Air Supply non stop, then to listen to that fake.

2-1B
08-29-2003, 12:35 AM
I hate Mancow, so I'm with ya there ! :)

Props to bobafrett and the charity work done by himself and his fellow Troops. :happy:

bobafrett
08-29-2003, 12:41 AM
I hate Mancow, so I'm with ya there ! :)

Props to bobafrett and the charity work done by himself and his fellow Troops. :happy:

Thanks Caesar, I normally don't make a big deal about it, but when some guy gets on a big radio broadcasts to cut down those who he has no clue about, than I feel a need to speak out. It would be like me saying sportscasters are all fat, bald and arrogant.

Arrogant Arse
08-29-2003, 09:14 AM
What are the Chicago Wolves?

Rogue II
08-29-2003, 09:20 AM
They are a minor league hockey team.

[DSS]Pedr0
08-29-2003, 09:26 AM
I am a Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks, and Chicago Wolves fan. I went to a Cubs game in Armor, and in my Tusken outfit.

Another radio d.j. who has irked me is Mancow Muller. He bashed Star Wars, he bashed the 501st after CII, and then he had the nerve to ask the 501st Stormtroopers to be in his wedding. I refuse to listen to him anymore. I'd rather listen to a station that plays Air Supply non stop, then to listen to that fake.
Bears,Hawks and Wolves!! O YEAH!! How bout them Cubs blowing the lead to the Cards. hahahahaha GO SOX!!!

DO NOT BLASPHEEM MANCOW, YA HATERS!! These people just aren't cool enought to wear the armor/suits so they hate on the fans.

mrmiller
08-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Bobafret would fit in fine at a Raiders game :) j/k

I'm a huge Rome fan myself. And there is no one he doesn't bash on, so why care when he picks on Star Wars.

Jim Rome is hands down the best sports interviewer there is. Many of the atheletes can't even spell their own name, but Rome can get a most excellent interview every time. being a huge sports fan, that's why I stay tuned into the jungle. I don't tune in to listen to Rome's "Smack" but his Epic Interviews.

Now I'll give myself a tounge.

=MATT=

Trip J
08-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Mr. Miller, you're right. He'll bash on just about anybody.

I remember last year before the BCS bowl selections and Heisman, Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz turned down two requests to appear on Rome's show (tv or radio I don't remember).

Anyhow, if you're not familiar with Coach Ferentz, he's a pretty quiet guy, not very outspoken, and chose not to appear because he didn't feel comfortable with Rome's style.

Suddenly, Iowa was not worthy of a BCS bowl (BS), Brad Banks was unworthy as a Heisman candidate (total BS) and Iowa was now a "cupcake" program. To boot, Ferentz is now "classless" and full of himself.

What a baby. Ferentz is one of the classiest coaches in collegiate athletics, doesn't speak badly of anyone, doesn't berate his players publicly, always assumes failure for the team's failures and deflects successes back to his players, and this idiot chooses to attack him. That's just how he is. He feels insulted by someone, just because they don't want to appear on his piece of crap radio show, and decides to attack them every chance he gets. I heard he just cracked on the Hawks again in the last couple of days. I don't frankly care what he thinks of my state or our university's football program, it's just too bad he's got to be such a jerkstick about it.

Caeser, you say that Jim Everett was warned that Rome would be calling him Chrissy during the interview, I never heard that version of the story, but either way, I'm glad Everett dropped him.

2-1B
08-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Caeser, you say that Jim Everett was warned that Rome would be calling him Chrissy during the interview, I never heard that version of the story, but either way, I'm glad Everett dropped him.

I think the idea of a 6'5" NFL football player physically attacking a small guy for name calling is infinitely more classless than what so many people accuse Rome of being. ;)