PDA

View Full Version : Good Memories - A history of collecting: 1999 and beyond

Tycho
11-25-2001, 09:02 PM
With the new movie, you'd think this would be the best year?

As I write about it, I can't say that it was.

Midnight Madness was a heck of a lot of fun. I also wanted a young Palpatine figure really badly - and got it.

The 12" like Maul were nicely done, and when Obi-Wan Kenobi came out, it upped the bar.

CommTech's didn't impress me. They could were they sounding decent. But the figures like Han Cantina got really impressive. But why that Luke? Pegwarming Classics became a real burden to those looking for Vader and the Stormtrooper, and especially Holo-R2 when it first shipped.

The 3 packs were getting better and better and more useful.
Classic that is. The Ghosts ('98) had excited me, but the Rebel Pilots, and Jabba's Guards were great! Jabba's Palace cardboards were really nice too.

I dug the 12" Portrait Amidala's. It seems the only way to have done justice to her elaborate clothes.

The soft-goods resculpts might have been necessary for play value with the vehicles, but they might've included them as pack-ins, even if they didn't make sense (like Obi-Wan with the Flash Speeder, etc.) so resculpts didn't hold back sales.

I liked a lot of the figures, and was really thrilled when I first found Nute, Rune, and the Destroyer Droid.

The Royal Starship was a vehicle/playset dream come true.

It's hard to say: 1997 vs. 1999? Hmmmmmmm.

Tycho
11-25-2001, 09:11 PM
Frustrating and aggravating, this year was.

R2-B1 was something to get excited about, but as the Episode One line died (and I liked the movie) I was disappointed we were getting rescultps versus new characters (and so many Queens were still unmade).

Mace Windu was a nice 12," but the Dewback and the Speederbike forever changed the standards! 2000 was probably one of the 12" collections' greatest years. Boss Nass was incredible, and even Sebulba was exciting (if unimaginative - from an accessory standpoint)

POTJ began with a rocky start. The best figures came this (present) year, not 2000. Again we saw resculpts out in front. Mas Ameddas and the Coruscant Guard were nice, then we got Porkins and an elusive Gungan Soldier that drove me nuts trying to make an army of 27 of them (I got it that year and consequently now am not buying more of them - though they don't really pegwarm). Dagobah Vader was pretty darn good!

The skiff vehicle was another dream come true, though I got mine through only my luck at having good collecting buddies.

bigbarada
11-25-2001, 09:14 PM
This year was definitely the greatest Star Wars year for me!! I was able to compensate for all the years of missing the vintage figures and bought everything I could find. It was great until my bills started to come in. :eek: Oh well, it was one hell of a ride while it lasted!!

I remember midnight madness fondly, even more fondly than the movie release (since we didn't have two whole days of critics telling us the movie sucked on May 3rd). The media hype seemed a little overkill but I was happy to go with the flow and enjoy myself during that magical time!!

Tycho
11-25-2001, 09:17 PM
POTJ started to rock this year: so many of my favorite figures!

Tessek is still incredible. Bespin Guard, Duros, not to mention Amanaman, and all the Fan Choice progress. Shmi finally! Jedi Council Members, Aurra Sing, an accurate Chewbacca and Vader Emperor's Wrath, proving the Dark Lord is one of the very few who can survive rescultps and stay popular. Queen Amidala (as herself or a decoy) finally got 3 badly needed additions for her wardrobe.

The 12" saw Luke on a Speederbike, but the Bounty Hunters steal the show (though I got mine X-mas of 2000).

Vehicles like the TIE Interceptor and B-wing rocked, as well.

1997, 1999, some things in 2000, and 2001. Star Wars fans are left to wonder: will 2002 top them all?

bigbarada
11-25-2001, 09:20 PM
Terrible, terrible year. I was stationed in Korea and had no way to get any of the new figures. I relied heavily in SSG to keep me up to date on new releases and Brian's toys to supply me with the new figures. This was were I discovered internet shopping and my year in hell became all about waiting for my latest package of goodies to show up in the mail.

I remember paying $25 for Anakin Mechanic and Naboo Escape Artoo and $30 for Dejarik Chewie. :rolleyes:

This was also the year that I started playing the Star Wars RPG and created the Klatooinian character that is my namesake.

bigbarada
11-25-2001, 09:24 PM
I began to lose faith in Hasbro given the way they handled the Ep1 line but this year has been great! I got back from Korea in February and the first thing I found when I went to TRU was 31 COMMTECH Stormies for $2 each!! I figured I had earned the right to splurge and bought all of them!

The rest of the year has been spent keeping up to date on most of the new releases and finally buying the vintage stuff I could only dream about as a kid.:crazed:

Tycho
11-25-2001, 09:56 PM
I forgot how much I liked my AAT Battle Droid Tank.

This is the first real tank in a Star Wars line, and a well-executed toy with fun play features, and 4 (four) launching missles!

I think other than the Queen's Starship, the AAT is one of the unsung Episode One vehicles that never gets the credit it is due.

Interesting info on your name Barada. I was heavily involved in Rogue's Gallery (my online e-zine for Star Wars books - that I'm taking a break from doing for a while, for everyone's info) so I decided to pick a name from a Rogue. Obviously Tycho is Rogue Squadron's First Officer, Captain Celchu.

GNT
11-26-2001, 01:55 AM
Bad year for us Aussies

Hasbro cancels the EP1 line on us (nothing after the Tc-14 wave) so we missed out on the good waves :(

Skiffs start to become shelfwarmers (and still are)

The Jedi point promotion begins and after completing the 3 stages I got the Jedi Braid and some other goodies :)

GNT
11-26-2001, 02:11 AM
A good year,had had the most nicest sculpted figures released ever!The year Hasbro thought of the collector :)

GNT
11-26-2001, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Midnight Madness was a heck of a lot of fun. I also wanted a young Palpatine figure really badly - and got it.

His not really young :) A new movie a new line, i saved up and went crazy buying what I could get my hands on,Commtech was a big disapointment and the classic figures were hard to come by since one shop (tru) sold them!

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 03:01 AM
My first year of college. A whole new world for me. And the first year I stopped collecting. A lot of other things were eating away at my ever dwindiling bank account.

I was lucky and found the TC-14/Sio, and POTF commtech waves at TRU shortly after they started their $1.97 sale. A friend of mine got me a skiff and 2 Y-wings for my birthday. And that was about it. The beginning of the POTJ wave did not look promising, and I almost stopped collecting all together.

Thank God 2001 rolled around.

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 03:19 AM
I concur. One of the best years for 3 3/4" figs. We saw a lot of good resculpts as well as a lot of characters that might not have made it to the line.

Hasbro did there part with the fan's choice. And towards the end of the year here, I finally started to see POTJ figs on the shelves. The new vehicles were nice as well, even though most of them were just rehashed from the vintage line.

Lets hope Hasbro keeps up the pace heading into 2002.

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 04:10 AM
Did the individual threads get merged into one big thread, the posts don't make any sense in the order they are?

bigbarada
11-26-2001, 09:29 AM
I had to go back and edit the years into the subject line of all my posts, the order was all screwed up when they were merged.

Tycho
11-30-2001, 05:59 PM
I'm just moving forward from the merge, and detecting a pattern here:

1997 was great all-around for every kind of toy for our collections.

1999 was well-hyped and started strong but deflated in the end.

2000 was actually the best year for 12" figures if you think about it: Mace, Speederbike, Dewback, Boss Nass, Han Endor. So something good came from it - though mostly trips home from the stores empty handed...

2001 has been POTJ 3 3/4" year! They are doing awesome right now and it is only getting better. I do not fear distribution problems at the end of POTJ and bet the last figures re-circulate on blue cards. Variation hunters might go a little nutty, but a lot of us who open the figures won't care about release versions.

The 12" are still lagging this year. The rest of the bounty hunters and the (once promised) Gamorrean Guard would have helped Hasbro. Luke Speederbike and another Luke (Dagobah) can't carry it on their own. New characters are always better.

Sith Worm
11-30-2001, 07:33 PM
I was a pure vintage collector, until 1999 all the Toys"R"Us were putting all their POTF2 on sale in huge bins at 1.97. I couldn't resist buying just A couple and now I own everyone of the POTF2 series and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I'll never forget those nights it was so exciting. It was also the year I answered an ad in the news paper for SW toys. When the guy picked up the phone he sounded pretty cool so I went out to the flea market were he was set up and there on the other side of the table sat the one and only good 'ol JediCole! He is A very good friend now and that I would never trade either. Theres nothing like friends in the force. The crazy thing is later on I actually find out that Cole was my long lost father. So go and find one of his posts and tell him his son SithWorm says hello, please do it he will get A kick out of it...