PDA

View Full Version : The Last of the Mohicans

Tycho
08-28-2003, 07:53 PM
This is an older film now, but I still love watching it.

Any other fans out there?

I love the French and English costumes from that era, the cannons and horses.

If I had the money, the room, and was able to find all the ranks and specialties, plus a good amount of Indians, I'd love enough action figures to do a huge battle scene like the seige of Fort William Henry!

Or even make the chase in the canoes over the waterfall. That was a great scene! as was the final battle when Chingachuck took out Magua!

kool-aid killer
08-28-2003, 09:13 PM
I like this movie too. I remember when i first seen it. My English teacher when i was a junior in high school showed it to the class. I was in awe of the costumes, the scenery, the buildings etc. I knew something was going to happen when they leave the fort and you see them going through that path in between the two forests. The guy who played Magua (i believe his name is Wes Studi) did an awesome job. He really did look savage and cruel. Easily one of my favorite movies. Have you read the book? I read it this summer while on vacation and i liked it very much. The movie doesnt follow it in the exact order but its still cool. Glad to see that somebody else likes it, just about everyone i know gives me blank stares when i talk to them about it.

Tycho
08-28-2003, 09:23 PM
Yes, I read the book a long time ago. I'll have to re-read it.

The movie's almost like a prequel to "The Patriot."

If you like Wes Studi, he plays the good guy (and lead role) in Geronimo as he leads the last of the Apaches against the U.S. Calvary sent to destroy them.

But I agree, Magua was a downright scary character.

It also shows a lot about why the American colonists rebelled and fought the Revolutionary War against the British.

Plus the music to that movie was just awesome (Trevor Jones), and I love to listen to the soundtrack.

TheDarthVader
08-28-2003, 10:07 PM
I agree with you! I love this movie. How about the soundtrack? The music ranks up there with the best I have ever heard. And the characters all play out their parts well.

Tycho
08-28-2003, 10:58 PM
Yeah, at the end Duncan even gets respectable. Geeze that must have hurt!

And Uncas! He won't cry in pain, nothing. He stood up against Magua until both his arms and shoulders were broke, his gut was slit, and he still stood up to take death on his feet!

The respect that warriors had for each other in those days was profound.

I think Alice saw that, and was even brave enough herself to take that step off of the cliff.

I liked Colonel Monroe. You could see he was grieved by the settlements being attacked by the Huron, but a soldier to the letter, he would obey his loyalty to the King, "and defeat France at any cost!"

Even the Frech General played his part well. I liked the trench war where they showed you how they layed seige by digging up closer and closer, the protection for their soldiers, until they could get their big guns in close to blast apart the fort.

At Gettysburg, I wonder why the Rebels didn't dig trenches. The French had been under English canon fire, too. They managed to dig. But Robert E. Lee ordered no such action. - Well Gettysburg is a whole nother thing and I should start a separate thread about that movie! (I love that one too! Nevermind it is long).

But the battles in Last of the Mohicans were awesome, too! How do they blow stuff up without injuring the actors?

RooJay
08-28-2003, 11:21 PM
I've always felt that this one was way underrated! Definitely a classic in my book. Everything about this movie was absolutely perfect; even down to the casting (Is Daniel Day Lewis ever anything but fantastic?).
There certainly haven't been enough films about this period in american history if you ask me. You'd think there'd be loads of them what with the major importance of that era to this country, and even the rest of the world in a way.

derek
08-29-2003, 08:14 AM
(Is Daniel Day Lewis ever anything but fantastic?).

it's too bad he dosen't work as much as other actors. LOTM came out in '92 and i think "gangs of new york" was the only film he has done since then.

i'd rank him up there as one of the best actors around. he was super in "Gangs". he was so good, i barley recognized him.

darthvyn
08-29-2003, 12:30 PM
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000358/

he's been in only four movies between "gangs" and "mohicans" and all in all, only 22 movies in his career, according to IMDB.com

derek
08-29-2003, 04:35 PM
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000358/

he's been in only four movies between "gangs" and "mohicans" and all in all, only 22 movies in his career, according to IMDB.com

yep, you're correct, but i knew he hadn't done anything in a long time......since 1997.

he was also really good in "the crucible"..........don't know how i forgot that one. :confused:

DarthBrandon
08-29-2003, 06:08 PM
What about In the Name of the Father, that was a good one as well.

TeeEye7
09-03-2003, 06:18 AM
This is one of my favorite movies, as well. Photography, locations, costumes....it's got it all.

Musical scores really enhance a movie for me, and this has one of the best!

Hellboy
09-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Last of the Mohicans falls into my 10 favorite movies of all time list. This movie's visuals and soundtrack are beautiful and the acting and character development are so good you really feel for these people by the end of the film making for a powerful movie that conveys a lot of emotion. I think I'm going to watch it again soon.

CropDuster
09-27-2003, 12:38 AM
I loved LOTM. I think it is one of the greatest films of all time. The only thing that i find wrong about it is the rating. I could swear I've seen a lot of pg-13 movies that were way more offensive than LOTM. I know it was because of the violence in it, but I didn't think there was a bunch of unnecessary violence like in Saving Private Ryan, The Patriot, or Braveheart. Which, don't get me wrong, I liked them all, I just thought that they were a quite a bit more graphic. Regardless, it is a definite all time favorite of mine that I would recommend to anybody in a heartbeat.

Tycho
07-12-2006, 06:05 PM
I just watched TLOTM again now that I have a huge plasma. Dang the photography is awesome in that film and you can see so much more detail of the trench-fort cannon warfare with a larger screen. Plus the whole story brought tears to my eyes. It's still a great picture. I agree: Daniel Day-Lewis is extremely entertaining as an actor. The guy who played Colonel Monroe did a great job, too. Plus who cannot admire the effort Wes Studi puts into his roles?

maatu
07-12-2006, 06:29 PM
it was a good movie. could of been better with a little more nudity and maybe a lesbian love scene in water.

Blue2th
07-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I didn't get it when the old Indian said at the end "I am the last of the Mohicans" The Tribe didn't die out did it? There are still Mohawks around. Or is a Mohican different than a Mohawk? Or is this another pointless question from Bluetoothe? lol

UKWildcat
07-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Mohicans are indeed different from Mohawks.

The Last of the Mohicans is one of my favorite films, easily ranking in my Top 5. The novel by James Fenimore Cooper was excellent too. I still wish TLOTM would get a new dvd release containing a bunch of extra features and the Original Theatrical Cut (I'm very curious to see what that looks like) since the the dvd is just the Director's Cut.

Here is a unless but interesting tid-bit. If you look really closely towards the end sequence as Hawkeye comes out from the path next to the rocks and yells "Uncas", before Uncas is thrown over the cliff, you can see the cloth prop of a rock move. It is kinda funny once you notice it and everytime you watch the film after that you will keep seeing it. :crazed:

Darth Jax
07-12-2006, 08:29 PM
i generally don't like the score for movies (soundtracks are an entirely different story), but this one is so well done. very easy to listen to (as are john williams' scores for star wars and harry potter). the movie is great but in definite need of a special edition dvd.

JimJamBonds
07-13-2006, 01:01 AM
Its not a bad movie, it strays from the novel some (ie pretty much the entire love story) but all in all its not bad.

kool-aid killer
07-15-2006, 11:19 AM
I didn't get it when the old Indian said at the end "I am the last of the Mohicans" The Tribe didn't die out did it? There are still Mohawks around. Or is a Mohican different than a Mohawk? Or is this another pointless question from Bluetoothe? lol

Yes, he is the last of the Mohicans. His son, Uncas, was supposed to carry on the line, but with his death he left his father as the lone Mohican. Unless his father were to have a another child before he dies, the Mohican line will end with him.

This is one of my favorite movies. A teacher in high school showed it to a class i was in, and i was hooked right off the bat. She was going to play it out over two days, i missed the first day because i thought it was going to be boring, but on the second day i was captivated by it. The part i came in was right when the English and settlers are moving through the path in the forest with Magua and company stalking them in the trees. Easily one of my favorite scenes in any movie. Man, i could go on and on about this movie, but im sure many of you feel the same way about it as i do.

Blue2th
07-15-2006, 11:34 AM
I like that weapon he uses to kill Mogwai. It reminds me of a weapon the Aboriginies have (not a boomerang as it doesn't return) My Australian mother brought it here to the states. She's gone now and my brother has it, so I don't know it's history. But it came as a pair with a very large hand carved Boomerang and it's very old. It looks alot like the Mohican old man's. Probably used as a club for killing Kangaroos, Crocs or fighting other tribes.

Tycho
07-15-2006, 12:45 PM
You know, these psuedo-historical movies turn out so good much of the time (well, I didn't like Alamo that much), they could make good movies about the War of 1812 or World War I (there's a ton of films about WWII - but not really the first one).