PDA

View Full Version : Any fans of the band "Chicago" out there?

Tycho
08-28-2003, 10:28 PM
I mostly listen to harder rock, but Chicago's had some lasting hits I've always enjoyed.

I really like their song from Karate Kid!

Jargo
08-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Chicago? no. Not big on the eighties. Early seventies for me. Thin lizzy and Black sabbath. or if i want something a little frothier i'll maybe dip into Asia or Foreigner. Or if i want something really drippy i'll hit 10CC.

QLD
08-28-2003, 11:15 PM
If you see me walking by.....
and tears are in my eye....
Look away.....baby look away....

And if we meet on the street someday....
And I don't know what to say.....
Look Away.....baby...Look Away....
Don't look at me....I don't want you to see me this waaaay....

Nope, never heard of them. :crazed:

2-1B
08-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Tycho, I have to admit that "Glory of Love" from The Karate Kid part II is a guilty pleasure of mine. :kiss:
However, are you sure it is by Chicago?
I was pretty sure it was actually a solo job by former Chicago frontman Peter Cetera . . . but I'm not 100% on that. :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-28-2003, 11:29 PM
I am a casual fan of Chicago, mostly their early stuff. Favorite songs include "If You Leave Me Now" "Saturday In The Park" and "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" Peter Cetera seems like a real jerk. Wouldn't let VH1 play any of the songs he sang during their "Behind the Music" story and refused to be interviewed even though he was an integral part of the band.

Tycho
08-28-2003, 11:32 PM
What happened to make Peter quit? And yeah, I think he did to that "Fight for Your Honor" song solo, but the singer so often makes the song!

Emperor Jargo, I like Foreigner and Asia a lot, too!

stillakid
08-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Definitely their earlier stuff. The later crap should be burned along with the poo from Starship.

I was a HUGE fan of Asia back in the day, but I can't seem to bring myself to listen to an entire song anymore. It just seems like the music takes itself so...uh, seriously or something. I guess I'm just not into that whole arena rock thing like I used to be. Kinda like Boston.

bobafrett
08-28-2003, 11:57 PM
I enjoy the music of Chicago! Some of my favorites are, Feelin' stronger every day, I don't wanna live woithout your love, Hard to say I'm sorry, Hard habit to break and Wishing you were here. I have to really be in the mood to listen to them though. I'm currently listening to Seether which is a bit harder than Chicago.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-29-2003, 12:01 AM
Ah, i enjoy some ole' time Chicago now and then. Every time i was working and that song from Karate Kid II came on, i'd sing along and even whistle along with that part in the song..you know, the little "deedle deedle doo" after he sings, "Like a knight in shining armor, from a long time ago" that little part comes up.....hehehehehehe

As for Asia, lol well.

I never meant to be so bad to you
One thing I said that I would never do
A look from you and I would fall from grace
And it would wipe the smile right from my face

Do you remember when we used to dance
And incidents arose from circumstance
One thing led to another, we were young
And we would scream together songs unsung

It was the heat of the moment
Telling me what my heart menat
The heat of the moment showed in your eyes

I think this is the ONLY song of theirs i can bear to listen to. It's just such a damned catchy song! :D

mabudonicus
08-29-2003, 12:10 AM
And now you find yourself in 82 :D
Yeah, I thought Asia were AWESOME when I was younger....
One question- what is 25 or 624???? I still don't get it....

bobafrett
08-29-2003, 12:34 AM

I've wondered about that very same question Mabudon!

El Chuxter
08-29-2003, 01:13 PM
A train or something, maybe? :confused:

I love Chicago's older stuff. I picked up the fairly new 2-disc set they put out a year or so ago, and it's sadly apparent when they go for the adult contemporary drivel. Some of the later songs are okay as guilty pleasures, but the older stuff is really good music.

"Glory of Love" is by Peter Cetera, and it's also on an album called "Solitude/Solitaire." Uh, you didn't hear me say that. Nothing more to see here. We don't need your identification. Move along, move along. :sur:

Kidhuman
08-29-2003, 02:52 PM

I've wondered about that very same question Mabudon!

The story bhind the 25 or six to four is as follows:

They were in the studio late at night and the clock was on the wall. The hands on the clock looked exactly the same and they didnt know what time it was. Hence is it twenty-five(minutes) or six(minutes) to 4am? I heard it on an interview with one of the members a few years back.

mabudonicus
08-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Well, now I understand it even less.... mebbe it's too early...
I do know that they wanted to be called Chicago Transit Authority, which is one thing I like about the band, but that the entity of the same name forbade it, cos it would cause confusion... y'know, looking to catch a subway and you end up buying a greatest hits package from some crafty soft-rock band

Tycho
08-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Confusion:

"Do you have the Chicago Transit Authrority on CD?"

"No."

"Where can I pick it up?"

"It's on "The L" acrros the street."

"Thanks."

"Hey, I'm supposed to pick the new Chicago Transit Authority up here."

"Do you have a ticket?"

"No. I didn't know I needed one. They're that hot now?"

"I think they're right on the tail of the One Armed Man!"

"I haven't heard of the One Armed Man. Are they cool?"

"If you like Leppers or something."

"I like Def Leppard, too. But I really wanted to listen to the new Chicago Transit Authority."

"THE YELLOW ZONE IS FOR THE LOADING AND UNLOADING OF PASSENGERS ONLY. PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE TRACKS AND WAIT FOR THE CARS TO COME TO A COMPLETE STOP."

"That's them now."

"Where?"

"Listen."

"I'm not sure I can hear them. Is that one of their greatest hits?"

"THE YELLOW ZONE IS FOR THE LOADING AND UNLOADING OF PASSENGERS ONLY. PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE TRACKS AND WAIT FOR THE CARS TO COME TO A COMPLETE STOP."

"Yeah, they play that one all the time."

"I just want it on CD."

"I don't think they have that one out yet."

"Hey buddy, if you want to hear that all the time, why don't you get a job here!"

"Good tunes are that expensive? OK."

A little while later, a new performer graduates from rent-a-cop training school:

Now you can see him performing live in Chicago every day!

"Hey! Stop that man! He's got a gun! He killed my wife! He took everything from me!"

mabudonicus
09-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Exactly, just like when all those people died after eating boxes of rat poison when all they were trying to do was own the album with "talk dirty to me" on it... consumers MUST be protected from such situations:D