PDA

View Full Version : What's the Deal with these SILVER figures? Why do you like them?

Tycho
08-29-2003, 08:21 PM
OK, I buy to open, and to display for dioramas.

The only Silver figure I own was the one I got at this years Comic Con breakfast, which was cool and special because it is part of my memory of getting to chat with Jeremy Bulloch, Daniel Logan, and sit down and have breakfast with them, Steve Sansweet, Lisa Stevens, Paul and Jeff from Hasbro, SirSteve, the staff from Galact.Hunter and Rebelscm, and it was pretty good food and an overall cool experience.

I didn't even try to buy the Jorg Sacul at Celebration 2 (not a silver figure, I know).

The R2's kind of attractive and I've never seen the Vader in person, but now a Clone Trooper?

When will they release a silver Jawa? How about a chrome JarJarBinks?

I mean there is no special occasion for at least 2 of these figures: you bought a bunch of junk from Toys R Us: congratulations.

I can do that without an exclusive figure. They could've done an exclusive on Mid-Nite Madness. That'd mark an occasion.

Overall, these don't impress me. They pretty much lack detailed painting and who knows if they are articulated, because I'm betting almost no one opens them.

So what is the point?

Let me know and I'll step aside and cheer on the silver Ewoks!

Val Da Car
08-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Funny you should mention this topic, I picked up the Silver Boba Fett for a collector friend and he wants to paint various figures silver.

I was at a TRU that "magically" found 2 cases of the Teebo/Boshek/R4 wave and I thought he would want a Teebo to paint silver also.....he declined...

oh well any Teebo hunters in Milwaukee (aka Harley Davidson annex for their 100th anniversary) get to the TRU for the last two there.....

Happy Hunting and Good Luck

Beast
08-29-2003, 08:54 PM
How about a chrome JarJarBinks?
I'd buy that for a dollar! :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-29-2003, 09:36 PM
I bought a silver R2 to go with my TC-14 and my senate figures then discovered the legs are on backwards so it's a worthless piece of poodoo. The blue paint in so thinly applied it's barely visible and it could be any old astro droid. I opened it because i don't see a reason not to. It's sparkly and stands out but still pointless. As are the other sparkly shiney things. I guess because it's exclusive (HAHAHAHAHA!) people get a sort of urge to own it. I used to feel that way, trying to grab stuff that was exclusive just to say i owned it but not any more. exclusive items are usually not worth the money. And rarely truly exclusive. Just more mass produced cheap plastic junk. Case in point - Imperial shuttle exclusive to FAO Schwartz. Exclusive? Really? could have fooled me.
If people are thinkin the silver figures add something unusual to their collection then sure, but then there's the few thousand others who buy to resell. That's all exclusive means these days, license to scalp. I just started to collect other lines and I've found it's the same with everything, Exclusives aren't bought by real collectors to enjoy and cherish as a keepsake, they're mostly bought by greedy bastards out to make a sneaky buck on Ebay and thus deprive anyone with a real love of the stuff from getting one at the regular price. Exclusive means holding toys to ransom on Ebay. The laugh is though that most other companies actually make the product worth having where hasbro makes trinkets, cheap junk. They're laughing at collectors going nuts for silver junk. Cheap cheap silver junk. Looks like they aren't even bothering to chrome Boba fett or the clonetrooper, they just get a nasty spray of silver paint. Do it yourself with a can of Testors aluminum silver spray and save yourself the busted gut.

plo koon 200
08-29-2003, 09:43 PM
There is a very good reason to like these silver figures Tycho. At least one of them and that is the Toy Fair Darth Vader which I will get to in a minute. The other figures that are silver have no point to ther existence. I see why the collectors like them. The main reason I think is because they associate it with the TF Vader a rare figure. They have it in their minds the more silver figures they have the more like it would be to have a TF Vader. However, that will never happen in reality because they will never need a TF Vader.

The only reason why I like these figures is to have a complete set of silve anniversary/silver figures. When I first saw the TF Vader I was floored. It was the most amazing toy, and still is, that I had ever seen since the vintage era. And I'm refering to the first pic that I had ever seen on the net. Before I actually had one. There have been other toys that I have seen on the net like Ephant Mon and that pictures did not impress me until I saw them in person. But this toy was amazing the moment I saw it. I went crazy and hoped to god that I could get one. The vintage black packaging and the way the lightsaber stook out symbolicaly (misspelling, I know) really made this an amazing figure. Obviously not an opener but by far the most amazingly packaged toy in history. And the fact that the Vader was chrome contrasted very nicely with the packaging.

Since you mention Jorg Sacul I will tell you up front I don't think it is the greatest toy of all time but has some merit. I now only own five. This figure can double as a pilot and on top of that it was the first and probably the last as far as I'm concerned offical George Lucas figure. There may be other Lucas figures but they are all bootlegs. This figure is the real deal so it should make some sense that there are some people that really dig this figure.

I hope this helps you Tycho.

kool-aid killer
08-29-2003, 10:05 PM
I have the silver R2 because i like the way he looks different from my other figures. I have seen pictures of Vader but i dont feel the need to get one. I recently seen a Boba Fett at the local comic/scalper shop for $35. I dont think thats too expensive for him but right now i dont feel like i need one. But if they were to ever make a silver Gamorrean Guard...

Kidhuman
08-29-2003, 10:22 PM
I dont own any as of yet. I hopefully will have a silver Fett in a few weeks. The only reason I want that one is because it is Fett. I love the character and try to get all things Fett. If they release others that I like I will get them. If I ever come across a decently priced TF Vader, I willget that as well, but that wont happen unless I hit the Lotto.

Val Da Car
08-29-2003, 11:03 PM
Well what about timing.....another site has posted pics of the upcoming Silver Clone Trooper.....

Thanks to overlord307 Mr. Ebay (Asia) for your new and overpriced but first to have exclusives...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=3144003220

DarthChuckMc
08-29-2003, 11:38 PM
The silver figures are for the 25th Anniversary (silver anniversary) I wonder if we'll get GOLD figures in another 25 years? :)

I buy them because they look different, unique little conversation pieces. I also am a huge fan of the cardbacks. It's ALMOST a vintage style card, which is something I find very appealing.

The only one I have opened, is the R2, only because I bought a basic figure (can't remember what it was), and they asked me if I wanted a silver R2. This store didn't get a lot of SW business I suppose, and just wanted to get rid of them.

plasticfetish
08-30-2003, 01:08 AM
Gold would be cool, I would dig a golden Chewbacca ... or Lando.

So what is the point?
There is no point, they're an even sillier luxury than the regular toys. A fetish's fetish ... shiny brittle tributes to these play things we all covet.

I kind of wish Hasbro would do chase figures ... clear plastics or whatever ... like some of the Japanese toy companies do. Would mix things up a bit and make collecting a little more fun. (But I suppose it's hard enough to find regular figures as it is.)

JangoFart
08-30-2003, 01:16 AM
I have Vader, R2 and Fett (and Sacul) and love them all. They are nice pieces to offset the monotony of identical carded figures. And, they display incredibly! (Plus, I'm a completist pack-rat who can't seem to come across the Star Wars figure he WON'T buy :) )

J

evenflow
08-30-2003, 07:56 AM
I am not a huge fan. If they are going to do somethig exclusive, i would prefer a new never before re-leased figure.

Banthaholic
08-30-2003, 09:38 AM
I can see how loose collectors might not like these or see a need, fortunately, I'm a carded collector.

I love these pieces, and thing they display well. They are definitely a conversation piece, and the figures they hvae chosen all lend well to silver.

I hope they only release 1-2 a year, so there isn't an over abndamce and they end up making a silver ugnaught. Although a silver crimson guard with red highlites would rock!

I guess the nice thing about exclusives, as imo they are bonus figures. If no one pcks them up they wount have been released, so while they might be a bit trickier or pricier to get, I'd rather spend money and have new figures then spend money that I don't spend on figures on drinks at the local bar.

I'm waiting for next week to get my fett, although I have R2, Vader, and Sacul.

Jedi Teacher
08-30-2003, 10:18 AM
I now only own five. This figure can double as a pilot and on top of that it was the first and probably the last as far as I'm concerned offical George Lucas figure. There may be other Lucas figures but they are all bootlegs. This figure is the real deal so it should make some sense that there are some people that really dig this figure.

Actually, there was an official Lucas figure before Sacul, but it was a micro machines figure. It came with the tie interceptor and one of the Tie pilots has a removable helmet to reveal Lucas. (Granted, the detail isn't that great when you make figures that small!) :crazed:

I like the silver figures becuase they're different. Would I spend $75 or more to get them? No way. I traded somebody for the TF vader and picked up the R2 because I was buying a bunch of stuff anyway. I'll plan on getting a Fett for $10 through the fan club. I think their interesting, but not worth the heavily inflated prices that they are being sold for by e-tailers.

Jaff
08-30-2003, 10:21 AM
I passed on all of them, even though I saw the R2-D2 at Toys R Us. I have enough figures to obtain as it is!

stillakid
08-30-2003, 11:51 AM
I hadn't even thought of this question until I saw the picture of the Silver Clone Trooper. Immediately I thought, "What's the point?"

True, there was really no point to Silver Fett or Silver Vader beyond being exclusives to a large event, but if we are to talk about "worthiness" or something, then I suppose a convention falls into that category.

But when it comes to the Silver R2 and Silver Clone, the concept makes little sense. The vast majority of the things I buy come out of their packaging, but some were made specifically because of the packaging and thus should remain inside. Such as the 25th Anniversary sets & convention exclusives (like Jorg Sacul). Those two sets of figures are nice because they have a specific purpose. But I'm shaking my head at the R2 and Clone Trooper.

All I can figure is that once the manufacturing plants amass enough "irregular" (bad plastic, bad paint job) figures, instead of throwing them away, they put them in a big pot of silver paint, whip up some "special" packaging and release them as exclusive items.

187-Maul
08-30-2003, 12:41 PM
if my TRU here in france will get the silver Clonetrooper I will definitly gethim ,simply becasue I like the design of the clonetrooper :) maybe I'd even get the R2 then (my TRU still has tons of him)
a silver Darth Maul would rock, since I'm a big maul fan, and the Trophy assortment sculpt would be best for that IMO
I wouldn't mind the silver Boba too, but since the prices are way too hih I won't get him (and the Vader sucks IMO, cause they used the old sculpt which is too buff)

bobafrett
08-30-2003, 01:43 PM
I collect the silver figures, but find it strange the price variations. The silver R2 you could get free with a purchase of X dollars worth of Star Wars toys. The Silver Fett you dish out $10 bucks for and there was a limit of 2 per person. I imagine the Silver Vader went for the same, but since it was made, I have heard, in very limited numbers, the price is out of my exceptable range. Now the Silver Clonetrooper will be going for free like the R2. Now if they would make a silver Stormtrooper, I'd pay like $50 for one!

Maybe they could make a silver TC-14, wait, TC-14 is already silver..............nevermind.

plo koon 200
08-30-2003, 02:13 PM
Ah but they made TC-14 a shiny silver. They have not made a TC-14 with spray paint silver like the silver Fett.

LTBasker
08-31-2003, 12:02 AM
Wish I could've gotten Vader, grabbed R2, plan on getting Fett and the Clone however.. I'm only grabbing them because they still look like okay display pieces. The R2 I got because it is a very beautiful piece, I love the chrome they used on it. Fett and the Clone aren't the same and thus are lacking, that's just chrome paint it seems. That takes away from the splendor of the chroming..

I dunno what it is about chromed stuff that gets me, I just like the way light and such can be reflected off on them, it's very eye pleasing on a display.

darthzirock
08-31-2003, 02:06 AM
I got the silver R2-D2 only because I was buying some SW stuff from TRU that day anyway & the store still had some left. TF Vader looks silly in my opinion--Vader should be black, not bright & shiny! The silver Fett looks even worse, because it's just paint, not vac-metal. Unless I'm in the store when they get the silver Clone Troopers & buy enough junk to qualify, I'll pass on it, too. I know I'm definitely passing on Santa Yoda, as I passed on the Holiday R2 & 3P0 set. They just looked too toylike and silly.

Frankly, I think collecting SW figs is difficult enough as it is these days, without all this "ultra-rare & exclusive" junk being dangled in front of us like heroin-laced carrots! I still need a Pit of Carkoon Fett, not a frickin' "Tin Woodsman" variation! :mad:

RussUAE
08-31-2003, 02:59 AM
I bought the Silver R2, but the rest hold no interest for me whatsoever. I open mine though, so I guess that'll be why.

JangoFart
08-31-2003, 05:48 AM
Looking at those pictures of the new Clone Trooper, I've decided that I don't just love the way it displays. I like it, but I'm not feelin' the love all that much. (The figure is too far to the side of the bubble, instead of centered. It could have been made to display MUCH better than it is by having the CT facing us, gun in hand, and having the tip of the gun poking through a hole in the bubble - ala TF Vader's saber. That would be awesome!

J

LusiferSam
08-31-2003, 12:35 PM
I did get a silver Vader, but it was more on impulse than anything else. And I do agree with what others have said. The figure is silly in person. There is little special about it. I have no plans on getting the other silver figures, unless I can get them cheap ($2.00 each or less).

Val Da Car
09-01-2003, 10:50 AM
I just looked at the Silver Clone trooper and it is up to 200 clams...you know if it is a freebie....(with your minimum purchase at TRU) I will laff my butt off....

$200 to say I got it first....that is alot of $2.00 clone troopers at KB Toys...like a 100 or them.

Dr Zoltar
09-01-2003, 02:52 PM
$200 you say? The R2 was only $10 at Amazon.com when TRU was doing their promotion. And it was available for a while if I recall correctly.

Val Da Car
09-01-2003, 03:07 PM
I forgot the word auction but here is the link to the Silver clone trooper auction....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3144003220&category=2476&rd=1

whoa...$260....some bragging rights...

you know at this rate...double face value for a green clone trooper is reasonable...