View Full Version : Finding "missing" people

08-30-2003, 10:36 AM
I put "missing" in quotes cos of the particulars of this situation..
Y'see, I haven't seen, heard from, even heard about my Dad for 20 years, and I kinda think I should at least find what happened, if not what's happening... I've sorta got nothing to go on... since I'm Canadian, the records are kinda kept differently than in the US.... I have his birth registration, his name and contacts to his family (they know as much as me, as far as I've managed to find out)
Sad thing is, I really have no idea where or how to start... one of my more official friends has volunteered to try and help, but I don't wanna get him in trouble, he has problems being sneaky ;)
So I figured I would ask here and see if anyone has any good ideas (and the cheaper the better, difficulty doesn't really factor into it)
Thanks in advance for whatever!!!

Exhaust Port
08-30-2003, 11:22 AM
I remember seeing something about people or organizations that do this professionally. Of course I'm sure these wouldn't fit the "cheaper" catagory.

Depending on how common the name is, how many returns do you get for the name when you enter it into an online yellow pages or something similar? It's not much but it would be a place to start as long as last name isn't Smith or Brown.

I wish you the best of luck with your search.

08-30-2003, 11:24 AM
hmmm... i don't know if they do canada, but www.ussearch.com (http://www.ussearch.com/wlcs/index.jsp) seems to be a pretty huge person locator around these here parts...

08-30-2003, 01:17 PM
I used one of the search services to try to locate my son when his mother moved off to Florida with him. Since he was a minor they gave me a phone number to call. I then tried to search for the low life loser guy my ex married and moved down their with. For about $35 to $40 I got a report on the name of this guy, however it turned out not to be him. I ended up finding out the address through some of my ex's relatives who live a few towns over from me, and were upset that she had moved. Good luck in your search Mabudon

08-30-2003, 03:01 PM
See if you can get a credit check done on him somehow. That would be the best thing. I know in the US we have Social Security numbers, Idont know if they have that in Canada or omething like it. It is a unique ID. number given to an individual. It will pop up the name of whever has that number.
That way you might get an address or find out if he is still living. Best I could think of right now. If I know or think of anything else besides a Private Investigator, I will let you know.

08-30-2003, 09:52 PM
I would say do a search on the internet.I know my aunt did one and found relatives all over the world.You could always try typing in your surname into some type of family/relative search,although I dont know anything like that for Canadians.

Other than that,is there anyway to check local records?City Hall/Records Building something like that.They might have info on where your dad went to as well.

08-31-2003, 09:49 AM
thank you all for your ideas...
I tried the 'net search first, that gets a lot of dud results, since there are at least 2 famous people with my dads name...
Town records wouldn't help much,Sis, he pretty much left town and disappeared one day, I din't have much of an idea as to where except that he went west (after going north, so I'm thinking he is in Alberta or somewheres like that)
His family either do not have a clue or do not want to tell me... I think I should pursue that angle a bit more, mebbe..
KH, we have something like the SSN (I know it well, having done credit checks for BIG cable companies in Atlanta) but it's not as regulated... it's called a social insurance number, (SIN for short, it's kinda funny) but if someone didn;t get one, they don't have one, as far as I know if he did get one it woulda been under a different name, I have no record of it and one really doesn't need one anyways....
I dunno... keep the ideas coming when they strike, I'll keep ya posted, thanks especially to your "thumbs-up", it's better when people are pulling for ya!!

08-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Town records wouldn't help much,Sis, he pretty much left town and disappeared one day, I din't have much of an idea as to where except that he went west (after going north, so I'm thinking he is in Alberta or somewheres like that)

Ah okay.I was thinking more along the lines of Drivers Licenses records,or do you not change yours when you move about to a different region in Canada?Probably couldnt search those anyways,they're normally "goverment/officals only" files(here at least).

09-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Earlier in the year I was doing a white pages search for someone. I ended up keying in names of people I went to HS with. Well, after a few min's I decided to click on a link that went to property records and such. I keyed in a name and it told me a city. I could've gotten more info for $ but I decided not to pay it.

I ended up asking a friend who is going to be a state trooper how I could find this one person. He told me to try voter registration. I called up the VR office, gave them the name and the city and VIOLA! I got the addy!

Good luck!