PDA

View Full Version : New Battlestar Galactica. Seen anything?

JediCole
08-31-2003, 09:57 AM
I am decidedly out of the loop on the new Battlestar Galactica. I'd heard recently that it will be on the Sci-Fi Channel. I'd seen Richard Hatch at a show about a year ago talking up the revival and heard nothing again until very recently. I did see the cover to a magazine recently that showed the Vipers (they look pretty much like the originals, which is kind of cool). Has anyone seen anything else about this?

Beast
08-31-2003, 10:18 AM
From what I understand, this is not the version that Richard Hatch has been pushing for. Both Starbuck and Boomer have been made female, and there are even stranger changes a foot. I'll see if I can find the info I read on it. Here's the IMDB page though. :)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0314979/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-31-2003, 10:32 AM
Ok, I dug up the Official page for the new series. It has some video files of the new show, as well as some pictures. But I found a ton of pictures on another site. I'll toss both up for you. Nice to see they kept the Cylon design pretty much the same. :)

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/trailers/index.html
http://www.genreonline.net/Battlestar_Galactica_Photos_Sci-Fi.html
http://www.genreonline.net/Galactica_1_Sci-Fi.html
http://www.genreonline.net/Galactica_2_Sci-fi.html
http://www.genreonline.net/Galactica_3_Sci-Fi.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
08-31-2003, 12:04 PM
Awesome! The pictures and trailers look stunning. I too am glad to see that the Cylons as well as their fighters and the Vipers are all the same. None of the pictures or videos that I watched gave a shot of the Battlestar so I wonder if they plan on making any changes to it's appearance? I would hope that they keep it the same as they did for the other space vehicles.

During the orginal show the Battlestar was only one ship of a fleet of Earth ships, any idea if the fleet idea is part of the new show? I also didn't see any mention of Richard Hatch being a part of this series, in front of or behind the camera. Anyone know if that's the case or if I just missed it?

stillakid
08-31-2003, 03:14 PM
Looks good! And you can't go wrong when you've got an underwear model on the ship. :Pirate:

Bummer that it's being shot in Canada, though. Thanks NAFTA! :frus:

JediTricks
08-31-2003, 11:38 PM
I thought the Cylons were able to look like humans now. (If accurate, this reeks of "worst plot device possible" to me!)

Beast
09-01-2003, 10:23 AM
There are some undercover Humanoid Cylons, I guess. And there were humanoid looking Cylons in the old series. Of course that was Galactica 1980 which sucked on toast, but still. ;)

Moore promises that these sorts of contradictions have been addressed in his new version of Galactica. Other elements have been significantly modified. The new Cylons, for example, look like humans, and there is a significant reason for this. "Human-like Cylons are better from a creative standpoint because the backstory now is that the Colonials created the Cylons," Moore points out. "The Cylons went off and developed on their own ... and then they came back in this new form. There's a stronger tie between Cylon and human; it literally is parent and child now. That creates a different resonance in the piece, because it's really your children that you have responsibility for, that you've created in a very literal sense, and that have now come back to haunt you. I think that's just richer territory."

For the pundits who may suspect the decision was made due to budgetary constraints, Moore concedes that although cost is always a consideration, this time cost and creativity truly went hand in hand. "The discussion did begin with, 'Okay, what are the Cylons going to be?' but once we started looking at doing humanoid Cylons, we realized that, creatively, it was a much better idea anyway. It creates many other possibilities. They can infiltrate human society. Will they lose themselves in human society? Will they begin asking existential questions such as 'Who am I?', and 'Is there a God?' Those are fascinating things when they are ostensibly a synthetic lifeform." Despite this fresh take, Moore promises that the original Cylons will appear in the new Galactica. "The original Cylons are still in the story, but in very small roles ... they're not really the newest, coolest model of Cylon anymore."

The new version also departs from the original in other dramatic ways. Thanks to their experience with the Cylons, the Colonials are wary of new technology-a thematic element that plays well in our own increasingly technology-dependent society.
Humanoid Cylon #6 (http://www.scifipulse.net/battlestarnews/BSG/bgimages/No6.jpg)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
09-01-2003, 11:06 AM
As much as I'm disappointed that the original Cylon's won't be as visible in the new BSG I won't complain too much if they all look like Humanoid Cylon #6. :D That's just the poor ol' fanboy in me coming out.

JEDIpartner
09-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Erhm... isn't that a picture of the actress who plays Starbuck? :confused:

JediTricks
09-01-2003, 09:37 PM
SUPER WEAK! Why not just have the miniseries' story take place on Earth so to save on the costs of locations, or have the crew travel around in late '70s Ford Grenadas, or have only 2 main characters who ride around on lame so-called 'futuristic' motorcycles like "Star Trek meets CHiPs"... oh wait. :D

Their reasoning for all this is so heavily-trodden in sci-fi too, why did they have to pick a path so hackneyed? And the real kicker is how they then pat themselves on the back for their creativity, like this hasn't been done before a thousand times.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-02-2003, 10:08 AM
It looks like on JJB's third hyperlink there's a picture of a schematic of the Galactica. It's the bottom picture on the left. Doesn't look like too much of a change but there are some slight differences.

So who's this Dr. Baltar or whatever? He isn't supposed to be the character from the OG series who was the human traitor, is he? And the actress from Dances With Wolves is supposed to be the reporter who ends up adopting the little kid with the robot dog? In the OG series she and Apollo hook up but here if they did the age difference would seem to be, well, a little too big.

Still waiting to see if Lucifer and the head Cylon (what's his name...Imperious Leader?) show up.

Beast
09-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Ayep, Baltar in the old series was the traitor who sided with the Cylons for power. As for Lucifer (The IL Series Cylons) they haven't been designed for the new show, but I wouldn't be suprised if they do turn up at some point. I loved their design, and the fact they were so totally a rip off of C-3PO in mannerisms. And the Imperious Leader hasn't been designed either, as far as the interviews I've read. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
09-02-2003, 05:45 PM
What's the word on the length of the miniseries? 3 nights at 2 hr. per show a la Dune? And do we know of the basic plot yet? Similar to the OG series where the 12 colonial planets get shafted by the Cylons followed by an exodus to Earth?

Hellboy
09-09-2003, 12:55 AM
Well I was excited about this series until I read this thread. I'm really shocked at the direction they're going with this. I'll still watch it but what a waste of a cool show's revival. :zzz:

mabudonicus
09-13-2003, 10:39 AM
Yeah, what you said JT... I LOVE when there is a perfectly obvious reason for something, but great pains are taken to try and sell the "but it was only a small PART of the reason"
YEAH RIGHT....
Hey, stilla, what's WRONG with shooting in Canada??? We gotta do SOMETHING, ya know... plus, the REASON it's filmed in Canada is because, actually, Canada looks a lot more like what earth will look like in the future, AND the colour of the natural sunlight in Canada is the perfect colour to do special effects shots without having to use really expensive equipment... y'see, NOTHING to do with the preice or nafta or anything.... :D;)
\m/ \m/
It was a cool show, much better than the awful novels

OC47150
09-17-2003, 05:24 PM
I will probably tune in just out of curiosity sake. The commericals are intruiguing.

I liked the original and occasionally catch it when it airs on Sci-Fi. For me, the jury's still out on the human-like Cylons and the female, cigar-chomping Starbuck. A female Dirk Benedict? C'mon now.

Arrogant Arse
09-24-2003, 12:52 PM
If Lorne Green ain't in it, I ain't watching.. oh wait, he's dead,.... well, then, maybee I'll watch it. :happy:

Now, will all Cylons, human looking or not, have that "Whoow-Whoow" eye/sensor-movement sound? Could be a big plot device.

Apollo: "Starbuck, do you see any Cylons over there?"
Starbuck: "No Apollo, just a bunch of humans, and a couple of guys in bad costumes. But there's this really freaky noise coming from the hottie in the red dress."
Apollo: "That's the Cylon. Get her."

See what I mean.

:crazed::D

JEDIpartner
12-09-2003, 09:35 AM
So I sat there on my couch not really knowing whether I would like it or not. My BF had me turn the computer on so he could finish some reports for work. Well, as it turns out, Lou never got to the reports and I didn't feel as if I had been totally raped and left by the side of the road.

Yes, the changes were drastic. I did, however appreciate the nods to the classic series in the "museum." I went into this with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised. No... it's not the show I remembered. NOTHING would be the show I remembered - even with the original cast members and updated effects and props.

I think it was bold and ultimately good that they reimagined the series in a slightly less hokey manner. There's some real drama there and some amazing effects.

I can't give it an A+ but I can certainly give it a solid A.

Well done...:)

chrisc
12-09-2003, 10:21 AM
I never saw the old one but I liked what I saw last night. Is it suppossed to be two hours every night or two hours a week or what. that I did not get. I don't want to miss a thing now.It was kind of sad about the commanders son in the nuke explosion.I geuss I will see later what happend

LTBasker
12-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Ehh it was ok. Not a BG fan so this is just based on the series itself although I did watch some episodes during marathons on sci-fi channel. It was actually pretty boring in the first hour, too much scene predicting. Talking-talking-talking-slow CGI craft scene-talking-talking-etc. repeatedly. The fleet of Vipers scene was very nice though, I love their space battles and the realism they have. The Viper maneuvered ONLY when using bursts of air, which is the closest to realism any sci-fi craft has come. And they hardly had any sound in space (besides some, I guess to make the audience aware they hadn't hit the mute button).

JEDIpartner
12-09-2003, 12:04 PM
I never saw the old one but I liked what I saw last night. Is it suppossed to be two hours every night or two hours a week or what. that I did not get.
It is a two-part mini-series which ends tonight. If it gets enough viewers perhaps they will pick this up as a regular series since all of the "good" programming is leaving in favour of stupid reality show type crap. Every review I have read has been in the "A" or "9 out of 10" range. I'm sure the budget is huge on this film.

Beast
12-09-2003, 01:33 PM
It was good. My only real complaint, is the humanoid Cylons. I much prefer the old style look updated. The ones that came in with the humanoid Cylon chick at the beginning of the movie. They were bad arse, a good adaption of the original series version, and updated enough to look cool. Shame they are focusing more on the damn humanoid ones though. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
12-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits really didn't care for it, heh. :)

By the way, did any of you sit through part one of Sci-Fi's new Battlestar Galactica miniseries last night? Gods... I haven't been that bored watching TV in a very long time. What a total snore fest. Two hours and almost nothing happened... then, when it did, it was all off screen. The shaky, gun camera cinematography to the battle footage was cool, but that's about it. Don't think I'll be tuning in for part two. What's the deal with Sci-Fi these days anyway? It's all this pseudo-science reality-style crappola. Bryant Gumbel tracking down UFOs, some half-baked schmoe guessing the names of your deal loved ones, or watching people get the **** scared out of them by Shannon Doherty. Plus the occasional B-grade "original" film... and about a hundred hours of that Stargate TV show every week. Yikes.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthzirock
12-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Sorry, but I agree with Bill Hunt. It was tedious and dragged like a rusty tailpipe, only without the pretty sparks to look at! Edward James Olmos was hideously miscast as Adama. Instead of having the stately yet reserved air of Lorne Green, all we got was a cold fish. Did they really have to give Mary McDonnell (President Laura Roslin) breast cancer? I mean, that's a frakkin' primetime soap plotline, not sci-fi! Oh, and let's pull out yet another soap opera cliche by making Michael Hogan (Colonel Tigh) a drunk!

Having the Cylons originally created by humans was also pretty idiotic and one of the most played-out sci-fi cliches in the book. And what was with all those off-the-rack suits for the civilians? They had advanced technology but 21st century Earth fashions? The only thing this show got right were the spaceship designs, the Galactic interior designs, and the updating of the Cylon warriors. Oh, and those Cylon ships not having pilots--can anyone say Trade Federation Droid Fighters?

I'm so glad that this was chopped down from 6 hours to just 4. Frankly, they could edit it into two hours and then they might have a film that doesn't put you to sleep. With any luck, the ratings were abysmal and this thing will prove that Taken was a fluke.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-10-2003, 04:08 PM
It's not so bad, a little "dramatic" at some spots and some bad acting here and there. I don't like the actor who plays Apollo, he didn't do a good job in my eyes and I didn't particularly care for the "updated" machine Cylons...I think the old ones are much better, but other than that, I liked it and I did like the idea of the human Cylons as it makes it more realistic that they were able to infiltrate and destroy earth so quickly.

I notice it's on ALOT!! So anyone who missed it will certainly be able to catch it on any other day.

All in all I give a "B" and I like the campiness of the old series MUCH better. This CG stuff is getting under my skin as it seems to be the focus of today's sci/fi movies/shows and plot and story are often left to the side :(

*not that the old BG had great plots either ;)

JediBoulton
12-10-2003, 05:25 PM
I remember growing up with BST. Used to watch it on Sunday Nights before I went to bed. I remember how corney Starbuck was and how he always wanted the "New Girl" -- Gee --that never changed from Dirks Career, did it. Apollo was the cautious one who was concerned with the family and was always asking where his son was. Did any of you catch that in the new episode -- the little boy -- Is this one going to be Apollo's also??

The new series was GREAT. The fact they took all of the arrogance from Starbuck and crammed it into a young female who has a bad habbit of getting in trouble, being dangerous, and punching out the Col in the first 15 mins of the series was a great idea. She played the part wel and I hope to watch her cause more trouble in future episodes. The trick with the viper to get Apollo back to the Galactica was incredible -- and creative -- hats off!!

Apollo was a little dull -- but in the origional, he was a daddy's boy -- not the case here. As far as Adama goes -- he NEVER got into any scuffles in the origional series. EJO was a needed update to Adama.

As far as stories becomming soap operas -- all of them are anymore -- EPII -- HELLO????!!!!! Love Love kiss Kiss -- whatever!! Cut someone the hell up with a lightsaber already and quit wanting to kiss all the time!!

The use of the old Viper Ships was a great move -- they looked great floating in space with the thruster movement and such -- this was what I would image it to be like flying a ship.

Trade Federation Droid Ships -- darthzirock said it best!! -- but they were kinda cool.

The updated Cylons (machine version) were GREAT also -- they moved well and looked frightening. The fold back fingers were cool also. I am not sure what I think about the human Cylons -- this may work, just done have everyone fall in love wit them -- have babies -- and have the children come back and destroy everyone else.

Well, FRAK (my first curse word that I got away with saying in front of my parents) I have run out of things to say, except I hope to see more of Galactica in the future!

Beast
12-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Warning Spoilers Follow:

I didn't like the big 'Plot-twist' ending, that revealed that Boomer. One of the main characters was really a Humanoid looking Cylon. And that Adama's plans to head and look for Earth, are bogus. He doesn't even believe that there's a 13th Colony. That was the whole point of the old show, the search for Earth. The last hope of the refugees. It was just something to give people hope. Feh, feh on toast. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediBoulton
12-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Warning Spoilers Follow:

I didn't like the big 'Plot-twist' ending, that revealed that Boomer. One of the main characters was really a Humanoid looking Cylon. And that Adama's plans to head and look for Earth, are bogus. He doesn't even believe that there's a 13th Colony.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Again -- Spoilers follow...

I agree with the Boomer thing -- that was awkard -- especially after the way she reacted when that guy gave up his seat on the shuttle -- too much "human" emotion.

I will argue the point about the 13th colony. If we didn't believe that there was a colony -- why the big fuss at the end of the show -- TOGETHER WE GO -- or whatever. He only agreed that there was not an earth when Ms. Prez School Teacher said that there was no Earth to speak of. Now I cant remember who said that had a "secret meeting" with the heads of all the colony's and they all believed or proved that there was an Earth -- somewhere"

I think he believes that there is an Earth -- he is going to find it -- but he is NOT going to let the PREZ know because he still is not sure who to trust -- she may be a Cylon. Am I making any logic out of this or do i need a good night sleep???

LTBasker
12-10-2003, 07:21 PM
~-=POSSIBLE SPOILERS=-~

Boomer = the asian girl? And she's a Cylon??? That really bites! What is with all the hot females on there being Cylons? :(

Tried to sit through another episode, but what is the point of the series if they really don't believe in Earth?... Might try the third episode, but it's not looking all that great so far. :\

Mandalorian Candidat
12-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Again -- Spoilers follow...

I agree with the Boomer thing -- that was awkard -- especially after the way she reacted when that guy gave up his seat on the shuttle -- too much "human" emotion.

I will argue the point about the 13th colony. If we didn't believe that there was a colony -- why the big fuss at the end of the show -- TOGETHER WE GO -- or whatever. He only agreed that there was not an earth when Ms. Prez School Teacher said that there was no Earth to speak of. Now I cant remember who said that had a "secret meeting" with the heads of all the colony's and they all believed or proved that there was an Earth -- somewhere"

I think he believes that there is an Earth -- he is going to find it -- but he is NOT going to let the PREZ know because he still is not sure who to trust -- she may be a Cylon. Am I making any logic out of this or do i need a good night sleep???

MORE SPOILERAGE

That's a very good point about keeping Earth a secret and showing fake skepticism. I was also wondering if Adama was trying to ferret out any potential spies or sleeper Cylons during that little repetitive pep talk of his at the funeral (can't remember...what was he repeating?) by seeing if they would know to follow that funeral-type rite of theirs.

My take on the whole thing was this: it was great that they took out the cheese (few things in life should be cheese-free, but BG is one of them), but there was not that much action like the TV show. The cool thing was watching the Viper vs. Raider dogfights and seeing the Galactica getting shot at by Raiders and kamikaze Cylons. Plus when they would sneak around and watch the Cylons marching and talk to each other was really neat. There was minimal villain exposure except for that skank #6.

The updated Galactica looked great and so did the Vipers (mark 2 and 7), but the Raiders blew chunks. I like the older ones better. The new base stars were also pretty sweet. Did anyone else notice in the civilian convoy that ship with the three huge disks? It was the same as the one they would always show following the BG around in the original show.

As far as the casting, I thought it was a decent job. I'm not an Olmos fan but he was a great Adama. Col. Tige (sp?) was a good choice because he wasn't a total suck-up like the original. Starbuck...well I wasn't bothered about a she-Starbuck, but she was over-the-top like the actress had something to prove that she was the right choice. Apollo could have been better. He was either ****** at Adama or bored with life. The Teach (MMcD) was decent and was a good counterpoint for Adama. Baltar, I don't know what to make of him. He was a good guy to be ****** at yet he wasn't over the top. He was just some guy who had an unpopular belief who may or may not have feelings of guilt because he used extremely poor judgement.

I also noticed the following:

Apollo's sister was nonexistent.
No Cassiopeia, which makes sense because Starbuck's a man.
Zack was only mentioned in passing and wasn't blown away like in the pilot.
Boxey must have lost his dog on Caprica, robot or otherwise.
Apollo didn't have a love interest like in the original (she was that TV reported). I guess Starbuck is supposed to fit in somehow in this role later.
FRAK IS BACK!

All in all it was OK. Maybe a B-/C+The shaky camera effects were good and the space maneuvering was more realistic. I didn't like how they made out Boomer to be the bad guy at the end and didn't like the CG Cylons. I know the old model Cylons would have seemed out of place here but I still would have liked to see them in action. Too much talking, not enough dogfights and what was shown was not that great.

I was waiting for some kind of announcement of a follow-up since they left it open for a series. If it would have been an extended pilot of a series then I probably would have felt better about it. Since SciFi was touting it as this huge miniseries I tought it would have been more along the lines of Dune with three nights x 2 hours.

darthzirock
12-11-2003, 12:19 AM
It was originally proposed as a six-hour mini-series like DUNE, back when it was going to be a continuation of the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, with Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict reprising their roles as Apollo and Starbuck. When it was decided to go with the remake instead of the continuation, it was cut back to four hours. After all, they were really just remaking the 2-hour BsG pilot! There was no need for this to have been four hours in telling a story that was originally just two hours, either.

Sci-Fi Channel will be awaiting the ratings on this before making a decision about continuing the story as either a series of 2-hour films or a weekly 1-hour series. It's my understanding that, since NBC bought Sci-Fi from Universal, and BsG is a Universal Pictures property, a new BsG series has several strikes against it:

1. It would no longer be an in-house production, now that Universal doesn't own SFC anymore. That means that the cost of the series would probably increase considerably from what the mini-series was, since it was all being done under Universal--production and broadcasting.

2. It's already getting lousy reviews, and the hardcore BsG original series fans utterly hate it. Creator Glen A. Larson hated it so much he used a pseudonym for his screenplay credit (the Writer's Guild insisted he get one, as he wrote the original series' pilot episode, which this new screenplay was considered to be a "revision" of).

3. Sci-fi is expensive to produce, even though the cost of computer effects has dropped drastically. Although most of the Galactica interior sets are already built and the cgi models are done, an ongoing series such as this is going to be a costly enterprise--even if they shoot it in Canada like they did the mini-series.

4. SFC has had a string of costly flops recently (TREMORS: THE SERIES, FARSCAPE, RIVERWORLD). Does it make sense to pump a few million dollars into something that might never turn a profit for them, when they can just do more badly made UFO documentaries, SCARE TACTICS specials, and more "reality-TV" garbage like MAD, MAD HOUSE?

For those of you that liked the mini-series, well, ... :confused: I found it extremely lacking. But, if it gets picked up as either a series or more TV-movies, I will most likely be watching, too. If only to see just how bad it can get, or if they can actually pull off a hat-trick and make it work.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-11-2003, 02:12 AM
From what I gathered, the Boomer on the Galactica doesn't know she's a cylon because she hasn't been activated yet...the blond cylon said this to Gaia, that there are human looking cylons among the human population who don't know they are a cylon yet because they haven't been "activated." I enjoyed that plot twist at the end but I do agree with JJB about the sillyness factor of Cmd. Adama not believing in the 13th colony as it was the main plot point in the orginal series...oh well ;)

I gotta say after seeing part 2, I do like it more...I'll up my rating to a B+

:)

darthzirock
12-11-2003, 01:35 PM
GALACTICA scores impressive ratings
Second night outperforms first
Author: Patrick Sauriol
Source: The Sci Fi Channel
Date: 12/11/2003

The chances of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA becoming a new series for the network just hit turbo.

Ratings information for The Sci Fi Channel's two-part BATTLESTAR GALACTICA mini-series are in, and they'r cause for celebration for the cable channel. The show attracted the highest audience delivery for any original miniseries production on cable for the year, with an average of 4,177,000 homes tuned in to watch the remake. Additionally the second night of the series performed better than the first part, outperforming the competition on The WB and UPN. This makes the new BATTLESTAR the third highest-rated original event in Sci Fi's programming history, behind only STEVEN SPIELBERG PRESENTS TAKEN and FRANK HERBERT'S DUNE mini-series.

The entire four-hour mini-series will be repeated this coming Sunday evening.

Well, for those of you that liked it, you just might see more. With ratings this good, I can't imagine now that a series wouldn't get green-lighted. Whether it will be a weekly series or more movies is still too early to tell, though.

OC47150
12-11-2003, 01:50 PM
I only watched bits and pieces of it (I videotaped it and probably won't watch it until Christmas vacation). But what I saw was interesting. I did find myself thinking this is a new vision/another take on the original.

I liked the fact that the new BG distanced itself from the original by moving it into the future 40 years but yet incorporated portions of the original into the new version via the museum.

The new Galatica ship will take a little to get used to; I like the original ship's defined edges better. I kept waiting for the Pegasus to make a surprise appearance!

I thought the cylon fighters looked too much like droid fighters and the cylons a little like super battle droids.

Starbuck and Boomer being females didn't bother me that much; we've been used to a wise-cracking Dirk Benedict for 25 years! Tigh's drinking problem didn't add or subtract from the character but showed he was human.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Did anyone else notice in night 1 that during the decommissioning ceremony the main title fanfare of BsG was playing in the background? I thought that was a nice touch, or homage if you will. :)

stillakid
12-11-2003, 08:17 PM
He doesn't even believe that there's a 13th Colony. That was the whole point of the old show, the search for Earth. The last hope of the refugees. It was just something to give people hope. Feh, feh on toast.

Exactly. It'd turn into something like The A-Team. A ragtag group of space refugees wandering from episode to episode solving crimes, having relationship dramas, with the occasional run-in with the "evil" lawman. If there's no "out" or goal, then what's the point? Even if there really is a goal (Earth) and they eventually do find it, if the characters don't believe in it, then what's their motivation to carry on (except for the weekly paycheck and SAG benefits)?

Hellboy
12-12-2003, 01:01 PM
I'll admit that I thought this remake was going to be a stinker and was disapponted that we wouldn't be getting a continuation of the original series. I did however enjoy this mini-series but some of the acting was downright terrible and the human Cylons were IMO completely unnecessary. A big part of the original's appeal was the mechanical Cylons and they barely had any screen time in this version. The space battles were amazing though and far exceeded my expectations and some of the dramatic sequences were very affective. Overall I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the series and would watch a series if it comes to that. I'd give the mini-series a B+.

Arrogant Arse
12-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Did anyone else notice in night 1 that during the decommissioning ceremony the main title fanfare of BsG was playing in the background? I thought that was a nice touch, or homage if you will. :)Yeah, that was cool.

I enjoyed the mini-series, and hope it will be picked up, at least in occasional movie form.

DarthQuack
03-12-2010, 08:20 PM
My brother just picked up the Bluray set of this show. Looking forward to getting into it, I've never seen it before. :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
03-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Kind of interesting about all the negativity about the series in this thread, yet it ended up being successful and critically acclaimed. I watched until the middle of the third season. I missed an episode or two when it returned and didn't get caught up, so I just stopped watching. Perhaps I'll catch it some day.