PDA

View Full Version : Welcome aboard!

JediTricks
08-15-2001, 10:54 AM
These are the new forums. They're more stable than the last forums SSG was using, and have even more features! With luck, everything will go smoothly. Here are some things I thought I'd point out:

You'll need to reregister once which requires a confirmation email (it's a very quick process), but if someone signs up using your old forum name, let us know and we'll fix the issue.
Instead of a "reset" button, there's a "preview post" button which will let you see how your completed post will look before you're ready to make it public!
Check out the Private Message feature! If you ask for this in your preferences, you can have a notice give you a javascript pop-up telling you when you get a new PM. This works only when you move from page to page, so if you sit on one page for 20 minutes without moving forward or back, you won't get that pop-up till you move along.
In the automatic VB Code panel, the "Enhanced Mode" doesn't seem to work with Netscape 4 and previous (I dunno about after), so if it's not working for you, that's not a glitch, either use direct code or use Normal mode.
Attach a file up to 20,000 bytes! (19k)! Remember that if you download a file, it's NOT checked for viruses by SSG.
When you complete a post, you get taken right to that post in the thread, not just at the top! No more scrolling down to see if your words are there.
Colors, sizes, even a few new fonts, you'll find many more new features in here like the personal avatar list, which is under the User Control Panel - Edit Options section and has over 100 avatars to choose from.
Thread subscriptions!

There's even more great stuff here to play with, and we may add more stuff in the future, so enjoy!

JediTricks
08-15-2001, 10:32 PM
Because it would take a lot of trouble to port in all the old threads to this new system, we've decided to leave the last version of the SSG forums right where they are as an archive. The cool thing about that is you can link to any thread in the archive from a post here on the new SSG forums, so keeping the conversation going from there to here is only a click away.

bigbarada
08-15-2001, 11:27 PM
I keep checking the "show signature" block but it won't post my signature. Help!!:confused:

(yes, I'm an idiot, everything is working fine now.)

bigbarada
08-15-2001, 11:32 PM
It's not saving my signature in my profile, I've submitted it three times. What am I doing wrong??:confused: :confused: :confused:

(Fixed it, thanks SirSteve.):D :D :D

Sidiously Darth
08-15-2001, 11:49 PM
So, I guess we're all starting from scratch again. I never accumulated any posts before. Now everything will be different. Bwaa Haa Haa Haa Haa![COLOR=crimson][FONT=arial]:p

bigbarada
08-15-2001, 11:54 PM
For anyone just joining us, I was actually having trouble with my signature and the correction was posted retroactively.

So no smart comments!! :D

jedicrippler
08-16-2001, 12:39 AM
Well, starting over again, huh? Hopefully the ISE will remain extinct.;)

SirSteve
08-16-2001, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by jedicrippler
Well, starting over again, huh? Hopefully the ISE will remain extinct.;)

ISE's are caused by bad programming or server is too busy. Neither is an issue now.

Darth Cruel
08-16-2001, 01:50 AM
I cannot believe that after going through the whole registration, I did something as stupid as using that capitol "a" in Darth. That is gonna bug me forever.

On to the subject. The new forums look great! I am looking forward to the fresh start. It is like opening a new figure!

GNT
08-16-2001, 02:50 AM
Is it really fair for JT to refer people to the Site since he works here????

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 04:05 AM
I am not going to be part of the referral contest, so you don't have to worry about me getting any sway there.:cool:

SirSteve
08-16-2001, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
I cannot believe that after going through the whole registration, I did something as stupid as using that capitol "a" in Darth. That is gonna bug me forever.

I fixed this for you.

SirSteve
08-16-2001, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by GNT
Is it really fair for JT to refer people to the Site since he works here????

Any SSG staff members will not allowed to be a winner. If a SSG staff member has the most referrals, we will take the next highest member.

GNT
08-16-2001, 05:05 AM
Ok,I'm still in with a chance :)

TeeEye7
08-16-2001, 06:57 AM
A guy sure could get spoiled with all these cool, new features!:D
This is great , SirSteve!

12inch Lando
08-16-2001, 09:42 AM
It'll be interesting to see how many registered members show up over the next few weeks or so. The total membership at the old board was quite bloated with phantom members and multiple personalities. Now we can get a little better idea of how many frequent users there really are since there wasn't any downtime like the last change over.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-16-2001, 11:37 AM
I like the idea of a fresh start. There was way too much dead weight being lugged around by the member logs. However I really wish we could get a longer field for our user names. Going from Mandalorian Candidat to just 'The Candidate' kind of bugs me.

El Chuxter
08-16-2001, 02:17 PM
I think I'm having the same signature problem as bigbarada. Que pasa?

good shot jansen
08-16-2001, 02:28 PM
it took me about 20 tries before i tried that, and that worked.

so after you have saved your signature, and it brings you back to the edit profile page, don't click on the submit modification, just start parusing the forums.

i don't know why clicking on update modifications erases the sig line, but it does!

Eternal Padawan
08-20-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve

Any SSG staff members will not allowed to be a winner. If a SSG staff member has the most referrals, we will take the next highest member.

Steve said 'member'...

Twice.

:)

ROLLO!

bigbarada
08-20-2002, 10:37 PM
Wow, it's been a year already.:eek: Time flies when you're having fun, I guess.

I remember the changeover really well, since I was on the old forums at the time and in the process of typing out a long-winded reply to something stillakid said (some things never change, eh? :) ) and just as I hit "submit reply" I got a message stating that the forums I was trying to post to were closed and was redirected to these new boards.:frus: Oh well, it wasn't a very convincing argument anyway.:D

Beast
08-20-2002, 10:44 PM
That's ok, BigB. I'm sure that Stillakid's argument was even less convincing. ;) :D These new forums sure are alot better then the old ones. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-20-2002, 10:50 PM
Yeah, his argument went something like:

"blah blah blah, Episode 1 sucked, blah blah blah, I'm so smart, blah blah blah, and that's a fact!"

:D

Patient Zero
08-20-2002, 10:52 PM
I just figured it out, bigbarada IS stillakid!!!!!!

Beast
08-20-2002, 10:54 PM
T.G.o.J, good thing you're already dead. Cause once BigB sees that, he's going to grab each one of your legs and make a wish. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-20-2002, 11:08 PM
Alright where did The Ghost of Jonna go? I'll moiderize 'im!!:D

Actually, I wouldn't even jokingly say some of the stuff that stillakid says. I honestly just gave up trying to reason with him. Our views on life are just way too different.

JediTricks
08-21-2002, 12:28 AM
Let's dial back these personal comments please

Patient Zero
08-21-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Alright where did The Ghost of Jonna go? I'll moiderize 'im!!:D

Hey, where is that from? Three stooges? I just can't seem to remember.

Darth Shifty
08-21-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna

Hey, where is that from? Three stooges? I just can't seem to remember.

I'm pretty sure it's from the old Loony Tunes cartoons. I remember Bugs saying it on a few occaisions.

Patient Zero
08-21-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Darth Shifty

I'm pretty sure it's from the old Loony Tunes cartoons. I remember Bugs saying it on a few occaisions.

That's strange! I would have sworen that it was Shemp!:D

Eternal Padawan
08-22-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna

That's strange! I would have sworen that it was Shemp!:D

Hey! No swearing!

ROLLO!

hango fett
08-22-2002, 08:57 AM
well, now we are getting another version of the forums....yeah! can't wait for that to happen!
h