PDA

View Full Version : The Patriot

Tycho
09-02-2003, 02:56 PM
I loved The Patriot so much that I wish they would have made action figures!

It wasn't "that kind of movie" but it was... plus it's my own country's most important moments in history (thought Patriot and Benjamin Martin's story was not a true story in particular).

But "The Ghost" and all the other characters like Colonel Tavington were all larger than life. OK, Generals Cornwallis and Washington were really as large as life since they were real. Tavington might've been. I didn't research it.

But the costumes and uniforms were so cool!

Before "The Patriot" I so much wanted to see a movie about the Revolutionary War! Emmerich did a fantastic job!

I think it was perfect, though probably too bloody and violent for kids to watch as an educational tool in school. If I was the teacher, I'd send home those Parental Consent forms because "The Patriot" is worth it!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Ah, drat!! I thought we were talking about the horrid Steven Seagal film version of, "The Patriot"! damn! :crazed:

I assume you're talkinga bout the Mel Gibson movie? if so, i hated it w/ a passion, probably his worst movie ever, in my opinion. It was basically, "Braveheart: a few centuries later"
1. regular guy doesn't want to fight
2. regular guy forced to fight
3. regular guy suffers tragedies
4. stuff happens, people die, the end.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
I remember when Heath Ledger met his end in that movie, all the girls in the audience, including my g/f at the time, were on the verge of tears, while all the guys in the theater kinda looked at each other and rejoiced silently. :D

darthvyn
09-02-2003, 03:53 PM
yeah, i saw most of it... this made the braveheart trilogy complete... braveheart (pratically the best movie ever...) gladiator: braveheart in rome, and the patriot: braveheart in america...

Anakin2121
09-02-2003, 05:45 PM
I disagree. I didn't much care for Braveheart, it was too Hollywood for my tastes. And I thought it was supposed to have the "greatest battles ever," but I guess after seeing LOTR, when I finally saw Braveheart I was like, "That's it?!" :D

Kidhuman
09-03-2003, 09:12 AM
I disagree. I didn't much care for Braveheart, it was too Hollywood for my tastes. And I thought it was supposed to have the "greatest battles ever," but I guess after seeing LOTR, when I finally saw Braveheart I was like, "That's it?!" :D

Wow you didnt like Braveheart. Me either. I thought I was the only one. That movie put me to sleep, TWICE!!

The Patriot was a damn good movie. I loved it. One of Gibsons best performances ever. Seeing it on the big screen helped alot. It is one of the few movies that Ican watch on TV without getting irked about commercials(SW beig the others).

stillakid
09-03-2003, 09:39 AM

I'm pretty sure that Glory had one of the best battles ever, but admittedly it's been awhile since I've seen either of them. But certainly not LOTR (in my opinion.)

The Overlord Returns
09-03-2003, 11:25 AM
"The patriot" was just awful...full of that sickly sweet american sentimentality last seen in another overrated film: Saving Private Ryan.

"Braveheart" while I can recognize it as a good movie, was ridiculously innaccurate from a historical perspective. Being of scottish descent and knowing the story of William Wallace VERY well...some of the melodramatic "adjustments" just stick in my craw....

LTBasker
09-03-2003, 02:43 PM
I love this movie, I'm hoping to get it on DVD. Mostly cause I just prefer to watch realistic war movies, and it has quite a few funny parts. The best part though is that it has some very serious parts, such as the Reverend getting shot as he loans his gun. The church getting burned down with people inside, and the one guy's suicide.

Doubt it would've done well if it hadn't of had such good acting either, perfect choices for alot of the roles. Especially Tavington, the guy who played him could just pull off pure evil very nicely.

Anakin2121
09-03-2003, 02:55 PM
"The patriot" was just awful...full of that sickly sweet american sentimentality last seen in another overrated film: Saving Private Ryan.

"Braveheart" while I can recognize it as a good movie

LOL! You liked Braveheart, and yet didn't like The Patriot or Private Ryan, both of which I loved. So maybe I shouldn't feel that bad about not liking Braveheart. :D
LOTR certainly has had some of the most epic battles ever. Like the Prologue fight in FOTR, and Helm's Deep in The Two Towers.
What the heck would Glory have had? I've never heard much about that movie. I honestly don't see how a Civil War movie could have the greatest battle ever, since it's largely just recreationists walking up to each other and firing blanks. :rolleyes: :crazed: :)

The Overlord Returns
09-03-2003, 03:08 PM
LOL! You liked Braveheart, and yet didn't like The Patriot or Private Ryan, both of which I loved. So maybe I shouldn't feel that bad about not liking Braveheart. :D
LOTR certainly has had some of the most epic battles ever. Like the Prologue fight in FOTR, and Helm's Deep in The Two Towers.
What the heck would Glory have had? I've never heard much about that movie. I honestly don't see how a Civil War movie could have the greatest battle ever, since it's largely just recreationists walking up to each other and firing blanks. :rolleyes: :crazed: :)

Let me be clear.

I can recognize Braveheart as a well made film, but I didn't like it. For many of the same reasons I didn't like Private Ryan. Patriot was just not a good film, IMO. Bad acting, terrible script......all the sentimental "aren't we great" flag waving that Private Ryan had, and more......

Anakin2121
09-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Well, Overlord, I see nothing wrong with a strong-willed patriotic movie. For some reason many Americans think there's something wrong with loving their own country, but how, who am I to judge?
I'm not trying to start an argument with you, though. To each his own, at least as far as movies go. :)

The Overlord Returns
09-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Well, Overlord, I see nothing wrong with a strong-willed patriotic movie. For some reason many Americans think there's something wrong with loving their own country, but how, who am I to judge?
I'm not trying to start an argument with you, though. To each his own, at least as far as movies go. :)

All depends on the differance between "patriotism" and "Jingoism".....a movie like patriot, while maybe not crossing the lin, certainly comes close.

Anyhow......it's all here or there....It's the creators perogative to make the film as "rahrah" as he/she likes....

stillakid
09-03-2003, 04:11 PM

Perhaps, but it beats the tar out of a bunch of 1's and 0's walking around screen in the dark for two hours. ;) And the bad "guys" in the LOTR movies have managed to even beat out Stormtroopers as being the most ineffective and non-dangerous army yet to be portrayed on film. :crazed:

Tycho
09-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Glory, Gods and Generals, and Gettysburg deserve a lot of respect.

Civil War movies have cannon balls bouncing right through one person and taking the next guy's head off. There are some scenes even with navy "pirate style" ships firing cannon balls away at each other. The special effects they put into these movies nowadays make the battles look awesome!

The sheer terror of columns of men marching up to each other in ordered ranks and unleashing that volume of fire-power and taking out that many soldiers at once is almost an impossible spectacle! Then the bayonet fights and the hand-to-hand stuff that follows as there was often insufficient time to re-load. But what's cooler is watching how the men were trainied to rotate rows between loaders and those firing, or switch and pass weapons back so they could keep up their fire.

Then lines of men would die instantly, like in rows of 100 men! It was crazy!

The courage one had to have to hold the line was incredible!

The Patriot conveys that well, but they fought smarter when they used Guerilla tactics like when they attacked from the cotton fields and the swamp. But ultimately, they had to be ready to face the British army on a full field of fire to attempt to destroy it. There was still plenty of strategy and maneuvers to stand in awe of.

The whole thing was pretty cool.

The Civil War movies take a different approach for those told by the Union side, and I think another thread is good to discuss that. (See "Glory")

stillakid
09-03-2003, 05:19 PM
The sheer terror of columns of men marching up to each other in ordered ranks and unleashing that volume of fire-power and taking out that many soldiers at once is almost an impossible spectacle! Then the bayonet fights and the hand-to-hand stuff that follows as there was often insufficient time to re-load. But what's cooler is watching how the men were trainied to rotate rows between loaders and those firing, or switch and pass weapons back so they could keep up their fire.

Then lines of men would die instantly, like in rows of 100 men! It was crazy!

I've always hoped for an expanded HOTH sequence that looked exactly like this! :cool:

derek
09-03-2003, 06:18 PM
yeah, i saw most of it... this made the braveheart trilogy complete... braveheart (pratically the best movie ever...) gladiator: braveheart in rome, and the patriot: braveheart in america...

............you forgot about We Were Soldiers, which was Braveheart in Vietnam. :crazed:

Anakin2121
09-03-2003, 08:07 PM
............you forgot about We Were Soldiers, which was Braveheart in Vietnam. :crazed:

Um....what? That's like saying Star Wars is Apocalypse Now in Space. :rolleyes:

stillakid
09-03-2003, 09:53 PM

Uh uh. Star Wars is THE HIDDEN FORTRESS in space.

http://www.jlbmovies.com/HiddenFortress.shtml

derek
09-04-2003, 01:01 AM

not really...... as i've always thought We Were Soldiers was the third act of mel gibson's unofficial War Trilogy.

all three films, Braveheart, Patriot, and Soldiers featured similar characters and similar themes only they were set in different eras.

stillakid
09-04-2003, 09:16 AM
not really...... as i've always thought We Were Soldiers was the third act of mel gibson's unofficial War Trilogy.

all three films, Braveheart, Patriot, and Soldiers featured similar characters and similar themes only they were set in different eras.

I think you could safely add Rob Roy to the list of "similar" characters/themes although I think it was done with far less schmalz than any of the others. (starring our one and only Qui Gon ;) )

The Overlord Returns
09-04-2003, 09:27 AM
'sfunny...because Gibson would have been much more suited physically to Rob Roy......while Neeson is far better a choice to play Wallace, who had similar size....in reality.

Tycho
09-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Well, I keep watching "The Patriot." Love the music, too - though John Williams' is capable of so much better.

The guy that played Harry, the American Army Colonel, he was great too.

I just saw him the other night in "Me, Myself, and Irene." I never realized that was the same actor!

Anyway, the final battle in Patriot was great again! I love watching this film.

The flag waving was used to direct troops in those days, since it was hard to see your commanders through all that smoke.

But I feel a lot of patriotic pride when I watch our flag advance, anyway!

Tycho
07-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Yup. This one's still good. I like watching the older movies that I own. I only bought the really good ones. How come they aren't making movies like these classics anymore?

decadentdave
07-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Anybody have the expanded DVD? I was thinking about getting it but I couldn't justify picking it up if it has only like 10 minutes of extra fluff. If it's like the extended version of Gladiator, I'm in.

2-1B
07-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Segal did some really good work in this one.

Tycho
07-13-2006, 02:39 AM
Segal did some really good work in this one.

I bet you're joking, but just in case: we're talking about the Mel Gibson movie about the 1776 American Revolution.