PDA

View Full Version : If we added an auction, would you use it?

SirSteve
09-02-2003, 11:45 PM
If we added a FULLY FEATURED auction system with many of the popular functions as other auction sites, like buy it now and feedback ratings, would you HONESTLY use it? We would not have any listing fees and have more Star Wars categories. This would be a "community" driven auction system just like how our forums are. We are not trying to complete with other auction systems, just trying to provide a place for our community.

Don't want a regular auction? What about something slightly different like a reverse auction?

Please tell me your thoughts on this.

Tonysmo
09-03-2003, 02:06 AM
I'd be all for a regular auction system on these boards.. Im not really sure what a reverse auction system is..

It would be a great way to list off all the doubles, or anything extra we pick up knowing fourmites would love to have one as well..

I would think that since this place is pretty anti-scalper, it might make it a nice place for all of us to throw on figs at ACTUAL costs n such. We all know what a given price is for justa bout everything.. so it be fun to see who puts up a Jorg Sacul for a buck, as to not get flammed.. ( yeah right.. )

but seriously, you all know you have extra stuff you'd like to dump - we all start everything off for a buck.. at least the basic figs n such. maybe a spot for the HTF stuff. or the extremly HTF stuff.. just brainstorming here.

I think itd be great.

InsaneJediGirl
09-03-2003, 09:09 AM
I'm all for it.I have no idea what a reverse auction is,but a regular-style auction system would be welcomed by myself.

I agree with Tonysmo that it will be a great place to throw up extra finds and such,since at times the classifieds take a bit of digging to find what you need.Second,with feedback,more people might start trading/buying/selling because the reputation would be at a glace,and one wouldnt have to worry as much about who your dealing with.

DarthBrandon
09-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me sirsteve, I've been trading, buying, and selling with other members here for a while now and it's been working great so far without the auction system. Here's my question: How do we keep scalpers off the site that would try and take advantage of the possible new feature? I for one think that most of the long-term members would never try to do this, but there are others who might just sign up to list their items at outrageous prices etc. I think members here that already have completed many successful trades/buys/sells would continue to do so, but newbies should either have to send payment/goods etc first to gain trust from the already trustworthy members. Just food for thought.

stillakid
09-03-2003, 09:35 AM
What exactly would be auctioned here? Are you talking about SSG members putting their own items up or are you talking about SSG promotional items? Or both?

For me, like an eBay auction, I only bid on stuff that I want (and can afford at the time), so to say "yes" is conditional on what stuff is offered. The thing could go on for months before I see anything worthy of bidding on, but if the system isn't in place, then it's a guarantee that I'd never use it. Right? ;)

SirSteve
09-03-2003, 12:55 PM
What exactly would be auctioned here? Are you talking about SSG members putting their own items up or are you talking about SSG promotional items? Or both?

Star Wars Collectibles of any kind. ebay has 3 sections for toys, we would break it down more and offer other things ebay chargers for. Reverse auctions are more for services but can be for products. It's mostly for buyers. The buy puts how much they are willing to buy something and a seller will post what they are willing to sell it for and the buyer picks the one they want.

Rogue II
09-03-2003, 01:51 PM
I voted "Maybe..." but I would probably use it. I haven't sold or traded anything online yet, but I've bought from e-bay.

CloneTrooperMace
09-03-2003, 02:37 PM
That's great,we know who we are buying or trading from.I would like to see a regular auction.If this go's over,what time are we going to see the auction system?Also would there be a Non-Star Wars section?If so is there going to be a fee on the Non-SW section?Also Is going to be like ebay with feedback and a list of the members auctions?On the other it sounds good,I just can't wait to see it working.

-CTM-

bobafrett
09-03-2003, 03:36 PM
I personally cannot stand to part with any portion or item in my collection no matter how silly the item might be. I do think it would be nice to have something like that for people who do have items to sell, and I might even buy an item or two!

Mandalorian Candidat
09-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Not a bad idea, SS. I'd want to see it in action first. If it worked out I'd try it just to avoid any auction fees.

Perhaps we could restrict it, if needed, to members who have been around so long or have participated somewhat actively in the forums to keep out any scalper riff-raff.

SirSteve
09-05-2003, 11:03 PM
Come on... need more people replying on this.

stillakid
09-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Come on... need more people replying on this.

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a box of stuff I've been meaning on putting up on Ebay including some vintage carded figures. Once this thing goes active (if it does), I'll get it going as soon as I can. :)

DarthChuckMc
09-07-2003, 10:47 PM
I picked Maybe....I like trading 1 for 1, selling/buying at cost, or set prices that I've been doing for a while now.....but a page devoted to SW auctions can't be that bad I suppose.

Are you gonna test it anytime soon?
Will there be "fees" to list or final value fees?
Will it be limited to SW items?
Will there be rules such as "Only start bidding at "current retail value" for NEW items"?
Will I ever stop asking questions?????

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Mr. Steve- would this just be PURELY for JUST SW stuff, or what? I ask this cause i've been picking up extra LOTR figures and trading/selling them and whatnot for a while w/ other SSG members. Just curious if this would just for SW or any collectibles. I imagine it would get hectic for any sort of collectibles, but i figured i'd ask.

Either way, i would most likely use this. It would be pretty funny to see some person put up a Jorg figure w/ a starting bid of 99.99. We could all giggle and say, "newbie!" and kick back and watch it close w/ no winner. thanks! :D

Kidhuman
09-08-2003, 07:02 AM
I would use it. Never hurts to look. It would cut down on alot of time searching ebay.

kool-aid killer
09-09-2003, 09:15 PM
My two cents: I think its a great idea but i wonder how many people would be willing to do it. It seems like the buying/selling and trading forums are dead with the exception of a few regulars who use it. It seems like most people who post in there are newbies or longtime lurkers. Now i dont have a problem working something out with them (as you can see by some of the obscure screen names on my sig line) but i think many regulars are hesitant to deal with them, which is understandable because nobody wants to get stiffed. If there was a way to have them send their goods first until they get to a certain amount of significant posts (by this i mean actually posting something worthwhile instead of one sentence replies just to increase their post number) then i would be all for their inclusion. I think a seperate thread for other collectibles wouldnt be bad either. Would there be a way to keep people from dropping bids in on the last minute or would that be acceptable? Despite my concerns i am very interested in the idea and will vote for yes.

CloneTrooperMace
09-10-2003, 11:13 AM
It seems like the buying/selling and trading forums are dead with the exception of a few regulars who use it.

That's because more people use auctions to sell there stuff.Maybe if sirsteve has a auction up there more people sell there stuff.I mean it's FREE,You have to pay so much at ebay to sell stuff.I would use it,I have a crap load of stuff that I would sell.

-CTM-

stillakid
09-10-2003, 12:13 PM
That's because more people use auctions to sell there stuff.Maybe if sirsteve has a auction up there more people sell there stuff.I mean it's FREE,You have to pay so much at ebay to sell stuff.I would use it,I have a crap load of stuff that I would sell.

-CTM-

I suspect like most people out there, I don't often run into the things I want in the stores, so finding extras to "trade" is a luxury I don't have. That's why I don't visit those trading boards too often.

But I do have some oddball or vintage SW items that I no longer want. I suppose I could keep a running list of sorts on those trading boards, but I haven't been motivated to do so as of yet. It's doubtful that I can actually trade any of this "stuff" that I perceive as being "not so valuable" for the things that I actually do want. For some reason, people seem to prefer cash when trading the more desirable items. Go figure.

Kidhuman
09-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Just a quick question Steve, will it be a binding contract like on ebay? If you buy it you must pay unless it is decieving or misleading? Would you step in if it gets to a point or just leave it up to us like the trading and selling is now?

kool-aid killer
09-17-2003, 09:56 AM
SirSteve, so when will we be notified if you decide to include an auction feature or not? Despite the low number of views and posts regarding this subject i think many forum members would be interested.

stillakid
09-17-2003, 02:09 PM
I've got some stuff I'm just sitting on right now. Should I go ahead and put em on Ebay, or hold off a little while longer?

good shot jansen
09-17-2003, 02:55 PM
hmmmmm, interesting............

one of the things which i like about ebay, is the anonymity of it. when i do choose to purchase an item on ebay, it's because i want something, and am willing to put the highest price that i feel is reasonble. there are no hurt feelings, if someone is not willing to sell it for the amount i want to pay, or if i win the item for way less than what the seller was expecting to fetch.

i would be concerned about "familiarity breeding contempt" :eek: as we all pretty much know eachother, (having read eachothers innermost thoughts for sometime now), flare ups may occur due to people not being satisfied with the result of a ssg auction where someone either didn't get the item for what they thought it was worth, or an item did not sell for what the seller thought it was worth. or worse yet, items won may not be delivered in a timely manner, or an item is not what the buyer thought they were getting, etc......... it would be too easy for it to lead to an eruption of flame wars and ill feelings on the site.

i think what we have here at ssg is teriffic, and it is run properly in it's present form.

i also think what they have over at ebay is teriffic too, and how they run it in it's present form is proper.

not sure if i like the idea of getting their peanutbutter mixed up with our chocolate.......................