PDA

View Full Version : I want a showcase ..

JediBoulton
09-04-2003, 03:01 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen

I just moved into a new home and my wife has told me that I can have the front bedroom for my "Collection" :)

HOWEVER -- it has to be nice -- no Pinholes all over the walls!!

Plus, I dont want to put up a bunch of shelves and just throw stuff out there -- I want this to look GREAT!

Here is something I have thought of -- any and all ideas PLEASE...

I was at Home Depot and found what they are calling "T" molding. It looks like what they might use in a doorway to have two pieces of "wood" flooring meet. I thought about placing one of the molds along the top of my wall -- placing another one below it and allow my carded figures to rest within the slots. This would allow me to freely move the figures around as I wanted -- and reduse the amount of holes I leave in the wall.

Any thoughts??

Dr Zoltar
09-04-2003, 06:28 PM
Actually I did a similar thing in my previous house. My wife found metal molding shaped like 3 sides of a square. She adhered it to the wall with RTC. I could then place the bottom of my carded figures into the slot. I then used funtack (blue sticky stuff) and put a dot of it where the hook is on the top of the card to keep the figures upright and attached to the wall. When I wanted to swap some out, the funtack came right off leaving no marks on the card.

She also put a few metal shelves up (to match the metal molding) to hold my boxed items. It worked well and looked nice.

JediBoulton
09-05-2003, 02:34 PM
Actually I did a similar thing in my previous house. My wife found metal molding shaped like 3 sides of a square. She adhered it to the wall with RTC. I could then place the bottom of my carded figures into the slot. I then used funtack (blue sticky stuff) and put a dot of it where the hook is on the top of the card to keep the figures upright and attached to the wall. When I wanted to swap some out, the funtack came right off leaving no marks on the card.

She also put a few metal shelves up (to match the metal molding) to hold my boxed items. It worked well and looked nice.

Thanks for the input. I will go and see if I can find any metal shelves. These might be easier to put up rather than wood. Might be cheeper also. :greedy:

plasticfetish
09-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Yep, T-molding is for where two floor surfaces meet ... carpet to wood, linoleum to carpet, etc.

Here's a few choices.
Pegboard ... it's paintable and you can do a wall up with pegboard and molding, perhaps with shelving as well. Pegboard is the miracle decorating material of the 50s and 60s ... mostly because it's affordable as well.

Picture rail molding. It's a molding that usually runs along the top of the wall, has a bit of a dip or groove behind it for hooks. (Here's a site w/ pics ... picture rail (http://archmillwork.com/home/am1/smartlist/12/0) ) Generally you'd hang a heavy painting (or whatever) from hooks on the rail ... instead of banging a nail into your wall. Something like that could be adapted to carded figures ... you'd have to shop around to see what's out there.

The thing Dr Zoltar was talking about, sounds like the "J" shaped molding for hanging bathroom mirrors. That's a really cool idea as well. That stuff usually comes in 4 - 6 foot lengths (smaller also) and is painted, chrome or aluminum. The way to do it, would be to install two parallel pieces a cards length apart ... have one with the groove facing up and the other down. You then slide the cards in from an open side. Only problem is, it's not adjustable for different card sizes, etc.

I've also seen at places like Ikea (http://www.ikea.com), aluminum rails (like this (http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&categoryId=10262&cattype=sub), but the pics stink) for in the kitchen that you can ad sliding "J" hooks to. They may have some thing similar to that at Home Depot or Lowe's as well.

If I had a whole room (you lucky bastard) ... I'd probably use a combination of shelves like these (http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=16755&langId=-1&parentCats=10104*10173*10514) simple ones at Ikea. (Which is what I do use in the cramped toy corner of my studio.) As well, I'd mix in pegboard and that aluminum railing stuff for hanging carded figures. I dream of finding an old department store that's closing and "salvaging" a bunch of lit glass-front display cases from them. Mmmm.

Well, good luck.
- plastic (ex-low budget television art director/decorator) fetish

JediBoulton
09-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Yep, T-molding is for where two floor surfaces meet ... carpet to wood, linoleum to carpet, etc.

Here's a few choices.
Pegboard ... it's paintable and you can do a wall up with pegboard and molding, perhaps with shelving as well. Pegboard is the miracle decorating material of the 50s and 60s ... mostly because it's affordable as well.

Picture rail molding. It's a molding that usually runs along the top of the wall, has a bit of a dip or groove behind it for hooks. (Here's a site w/ pics ... picture rail (http://archmillwork.com/home/am1/smartlist/12/0) ) Generally you'd hang a heavy painting (or whatever) from hooks on the rail ... instead of banging a nail into your wall. Something like that could be adapted to carded figures ... you'd have to shop around to see what's out there.

The thing Dr Zoltar was talking about, sounds like the "J" shaped molding for hanging bathroom mirrors. That's a really cool idea as well. That stuff usually comes in 4 - 6 foot lengths (smaller also) and is painted, chrome or aluminum. The way to do it, would be to install two parallel pieces a cards length apart ... have one with the groove facing up and the other down. You then slide the cards in from an open side. Only problem is, it's not adjustable for different card sizes, etc.

I've also seen at places like Ikea (http://www.ikea.com), aluminum rails (like this (http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&categoryId=10262&cattype=sub), but the pics stink) for in the kitchen that you can ad sliding "J" hooks to. They may have some thing similar to that at Home Depot or Lowe's as well.

If I had a whole room (you lucky bastard) ... I'd probably use a combination of shelves like these (http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=16755&langId=-1&parentCats=10104*10173*10514) simple ones at Ikea. (Which is what I do use in the cramped toy corner of my studio.) As well, I'd mix in pegboard and that aluminum railing stuff for hanging carded figures. I dream of finding an old department store that's closing and "salvaging" a bunch of lit glass-front display cases from them. Mmmm.

Well, good luck.
- plastic (ex-low budget television art director/decorator) fetish

This helps alot -- I am going to check on the pegboard. I found some shelves at Wal-mart for about $38 that look alot like the Ikea ones. I bought a computer table this weekend so I can now start setting everything else around that. The Picture rail molding -- along with the T molding -- is EXPENSIVE :eek: It is running about $23 for a 7 foot strip. I see this room getting pricy -- but I dont want it to look like CRAP! I would like to create a showcase for everything. I know of a jewlery store that is going out of business that i might can pick up some display cases -- as long as they are not too big. Keep all the ideas comming -- I wont make a firm decision until the weekend~~

Thanks Dr. Zoltar and Plasticfetish for all the great ideas :D

plasticfetish
09-08-2003, 02:02 PM
I know of a jewlery store that is going out of business that i might can pick up some display cases -- as long as they are not too big.
Cool. See if they have clear acrylic stands that they'll sell you cheap. Good for loose figures.

dr_evazan22
09-08-2003, 04:22 PM
You can also check ebay under display cases for clear acrylic stands. I found some about 3" high and about as deep, about 12" long. The couple vendors were selling them cheaper teh more you bought.

I haven't bought any yet, but I'm thinking of using them w/ my 12" figs to add a little depth.

JediBoulton
09-15-2003, 11:04 AM
UPDATE --

Here is what I think I am going to try---

I am going to put up a shelf above the windows and along the top of the room. This is going to be for 12" figures and ships. I am going to try and not make this look too crappy.

For the figures -- I am going to try the "T" molding and section off the particular types of figures (EPISODE 1 on this section -- POTF on this section, etc) I hope I have enough room for all these ideas. I will also need to get a shelf for the LEGO's.

plasticfetish
09-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Well, we'll expect photos when you're done.

JediBoulton
10-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Well, we'll expect photos when you're done.

Need to borrow the camera from work -- but let me tell you what I have done so far.

I went to Home depot and found some "corner molding" that works GREAT!! It is $2.99 for a 10ft strip. I have cut the strips to support 8 figures each. I have created sorta "picture box" with all the EP1 Figures. I think it looks great. I finished the Freeze Frame Cards Last night. This next week -- I will be getting some red oak for somes shelves around the top top 20" of the room (I believe on two sides) to display the 12" figures and vehicles. Something else I say but am not going to do due to $$$ is the following:

There is some ELFA shelving that you can put in your closets for shoes -- this shelve is slanted at a 45 degree angle -- it comes with special mounting hardware.

I was going to take this and create a "leaning look" for the 12" figures -- it was going to make them easier to see from the top of the room. The shelves were about $16 for a 5 ft section and they wanted $5 for the special mounting hardware. :eek: That is a little much. Stay tuned... :D