PDA

View Full Version : To what extent do you want to see all the Vintage Figures redone?

Tycho
11-26-2001, 02:37 AM
What's meant by each choice is now better clarified for you below:

To what extent do you want to see all the Vintage Figures redone?

Remake every single version -- Completely finish them all with everything ever made for vintage, exactly as it appears: silver Death Star Droid, black Bespin Guard, Hoth Rebel Soldier that matches the first vintage one, and all the rest!

Remake most of them -- Generally finish redoing the line, covering all the basics like the Ewoks, Imperial Dignitary, Cloud Car Pilot, and even Blue Snaggletoothe (done correctly, from Cloud City, as the image for it originated)

No remakes, only new Classic Trilogy figures -- Generally ignore the rest of the possible re-dos for they are uninspiring, and there are better figures from Classic Star Wars they could do, that were never made before.

No Classic Trilogy figures, only prequel figures -- Completely forget doing any more at all, and concentrate on characters from the The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones movies only now.

Let's discuss your choice here!

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 02:48 AM
I don't mind if we don't get EXACTLY everything, but to finish off the line would be nice. Lets get both Dignitaries, a couple more of the ewoks, etc.

I don't want the mini-rigs or all the ewok "vehicles."

But I think everyone will agree with me that its high time we got another shuttle, who's with me!!!!:crazed:

GNT
11-26-2001, 02:56 AM
[/QUOTE]
Genrally finish redoing the line, covering all the basics like the Ewoks, Imperial Dignitary, Cloud Car Pilot, and even Blue Snaggletoothe (done correctly, from Cloud City, as the image for it originated)

The above got my vote,it sums it all!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wolfwood319
But I think everyone will agree with me that its high time we got another shuttle, who's with me!!!!:crazed:

I'm with you,but just imagine the cost :) :eek:

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 03:01 AM
Im not sure what it was when it came out originally, but I can't imagine it being to high if its not electronic.

Then again the b-wing and TIE-int. went for $30 a pop. I'd pay upwards $100 though for one, even if it is a rehash.

Tycho
11-26-2001, 03:04 AM
LOL, I'll do a poll for vehicles in the near future, but this survey was really to measure desire for just plain carded figures.

Do we or don't we want all the vintage ones redone?

I myself voted for COMPLETELY FINISHING THEM ALL.

I'd like a new Hoth Rebel Soldier, with gun and working holster, etc., plus with that choice, I still get Madine, Imperial Dignitary, Ewoks, etc.

By my count, there are only a few left either way:

first the not even arguably redone:

1) Chief Chirpa
2) Lumat
3) Warrick
4) Romba
5) General Madine
6) Imperial Dignitary
7) Cloud Car Pilot
8) Klaatu (actual character name of a forest Nikto from Jabba's Palace)
9) B-wing Pilot (human)
10) Blue Snaggletoothe (mistakenly based on a Cloud City Snivvian)

then the figures we could say have never been redone either exactly, or to our satisfaction:

11) Leia Bespin Gown (carded, only molded)
12) Hoth Rebel Soldier (TaunTaun handler, or Deck Officer like Vintage)
13) Bespin Security Guard (black)
14) Death Star Droid (silver)
15) Paploo carded (and maybe resculpted -that awaits to be seen)

These are not resculpts as they are either never-been-carded, or they've never been done at all for the modern line.

Did I forget anyone?

How many of these 15 ideas do you want?

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 03:08 AM
In that aspect (Hoth-era figs) I would really like another rebel soldier (a resculpt if you will), a rebel commander, and a Reiken.

But I don't really think we need a white/black bespin guard, or all of the ewoks originally produced, or even a silver DS droid.

Although if they do come out with them though, I'd still buy 'em.:D

Darth Metalmute
11-26-2001, 06:58 PM
I believe they should put out more ewoks, but they also need to put out more endor troopers and a better scout trooper.
What ever happened to those two packs of stormtroopers and rebel soliders? Its so hard to gather enough troops for an army.
:eek:
Plus I would love to see a carded Wedge, more Jabbas Palace monsters, Madine, Rieken, Yuzzum, kyp Durron, Guri, Leebo from Shadows, the Solo kids, and Nom Anor.

And most importantly..................NO MORE JAR JAR SCULPS!!!!!!!!!

stillakid
11-27-2001, 10:27 AM
While I only really collect the vintage stuff for nostalgia's sake, because I don't have all of them and I would like to a have a complete set, it would be nice to be able to get them without paying exhorbitant prices. Realistically, it won't happen, but there's definitely a small market out there for the entire line of vintage 3" vintage figures including DROIDS and EWOKS. Who wouldn't want that elusive EWOKS figure that was only available in Brazil? :cool:

I still go after some of the vintage playsets and vehicles because they most likely won't get redone, but it's always nice when they do. My vintage B-Wing looks better with two others flanking it and of course getting my hands on an affordable A-Wing was a welcome surprise. Happily, I have the Shuttle and an incomplete Sandcrawler, but new improved versions would be nice to see.

I've never collected any of these toys for their "value," but assuredly many people do. :greedy: Rereleasing the vintage line might dampen that market, but quite frankly, I don't care. Toys should never cost more than a little kid could really afford. That's who they're supposed to be for in the first place.

Bring on the re-release!

bigbarada
11-27-2001, 12:45 PM
Are we talking about re-releases of the vintage sculpts or just new versions of vintage characters?

I'd like to see all of the vintage figures with an acceptable modern counterpart (read: it should be an improvement not like the ERG, R5-D4 or Bib Fortuna). Realistically I don't think we will ever get all 8 ewoks remade since they just aren't the hot property they used to be. If an updated Lumat, Warok or Romba were ever made I would be totally surprised. But then again, I said the same thing about FX-7 when the line first relaunched.

Wolfwood319
11-27-2001, 12:51 PM
I always thought an ewok cinema scene/3-pack would be plausible. Its a way to get a few more ewok figures, and they don't have to go through the trouble of carding each figure.

In any case, I'd just like a few more NEW ewok figures to go along with the scout troopers and endor bunker playset they have.

stillakid
11-27-2001, 01:09 PM
I took the poll to mean re-releases of the original sculpts, though the question is confusing. I'd like to see the originals rereleased. Packaging them together with the "newest" version would be a good marketing ploy.

Wolfwood319
11-27-2001, 03:23 PM
Actually, the wording in the poll itself changed, but look at Tycho's first post, that's what the poll originally was.

I believe the poll was for figures in the vintage line that still have not been made in the current POTF2/POTJ lines.

Darth Metalmute
11-27-2001, 03:54 PM
I think they should do all the ewoks again. I've seen the Batman line do a four figure gift set. I think 8 ewoks would fit in that box.
I agree with all of the 15 but wasn't there a Leia in Bespin gown out with the R2-D2 sets?

Mandalorian Candidat
11-27-2001, 05:50 PM
It seems like we almost have every single figure already made from the vintage line, sans the multiple ewoks and some of the others which you guys have already posted.

Why not make them? I think they (Hasbro) has a market for vintage resculpts. Just how many more Mauls and OB1s can they make?

Tycho
11-27-2001, 06:40 PM
Steve and I worked out what should be the most easily understood responses to the poll question, now.

I edited my very first post to explain them in detail.

My second post actually lists the 2 possibilities for vintage redos:

10 figures, or 15? You choose.

If you are chosing anything but choice 4 (prequels only), none of the other options means Classic figures stop coming, nor should vintage redos totally preclude any Classic never-made-befores.
All that's being polled is which ones do you want to be redone.

Redone means new sculpts, (not resculpts). 1995 Luke Tatooine redid the original stick-figure-like Luke Skywalker that had a lightsaber that slid out of his arm. The one that came with a CommTech and T-16 toy was a resculpt. I can poll for exact copies of Vintage re-releases such as the 1995 Vader-Luke-Han-Chewie pack that came out at a later time. Mention that here, and if I see a lot of support for that sort of thing.... (to those posting that they'd like to get hard-to-find vintage figures like Yakface and figures they are missing from the Droids cartoons).

Meanwhile, Bespin Leia is done as far as I'm concerned (I liked the Princess Leia collection one) but I know many collectors are not as fond as that one (cloth or packaging reasons, etc.), so I included her in the poll as a possible vintage that has not been 'exactly' redone.

General Reikeen (who I really, really, really do want) is not a vintage figure being redone. Vintage does not equal Classic. Of course by definition, a vintage figure must also be from the Classic trilogy (in general, or for what we're discussing here). But a Classic figure could also be Herme Odel, and where have you seen that figure except for a custom?

But the point of this poll was whether you were happy with the level that vintage figures have been redone, do you want 10 more, or because the Death Star Droid from the Sandcrawler was never made, will you not be happy until you have a carded SILVER one?

Production of these will not hinder General Reikeen or Herme Odel, but are you worried Hasbro will never get a Rebel Soldier in a uniform like Luke's Hoth outfit done? (that would match the vintage one, not a trench grunt).

I would also like your constructive critique on this poll, and any examples on how you would have clarified the questions.

I aim to keep on improving them.

Wolfwood319
11-27-2001, 07:31 PM
Now I'm confused.:eek:

Turbowars
11-27-2001, 09:05 PM
I think if we all had it our way, all the vintage figures would be completly redone and for Hasbro to continue to produce Classic figures never made. There's no question about it! But how do we get Hasbro to do it? I really think we need more Droids, Cantina aliens and Jabba's palace aliens. I would love to see a clear top R2 unit. By the way does anyone know his name?

Tycho
11-27-2001, 09:59 PM
Clear top "R2" droids (the ones you can see through their domes and view circuitry) are actually R3 droids.

They have lots of names, but I'd guess R3-A1, R3-A2, R3-A3, R3-A4, R3-B1, R3-B2, and so on until I'm at least picturing an R3-Z9.

The question is what colors do you want?

ANH had red, blue, and green ones on the Death Star (behind Obi-Wan as he skulked through the halls, and the red one was behind Vader before he decided to use his own TIE fighter in the battle). I'd like all of these.

ESB - I think Echo Base had an orange R3, also a nice color.

ROTJ- I don't know if we saw any R3's here. Obviously places would be the Death Star and Home One's hanger.

But these figures can be made regardless of whether or not all the vintage figures get modernized to match exact specifications.
So do you think a Blue Snaggletoothe should also be done?

[in his particular case, according to Sansweet's book, "Kenner" based him on a pic they had of an almost-Snivvian looking alien seen as a Cloud City alien. So while not exact to the vintage design, I would like this figure authentically 'redone.'

He's about as exciting but useful as Bo Shek will be to diorama builders.

Tycho
11-27-2001, 10:14 PM
Oh and to WOLFWOOD [and everyone] before this turns into a deep conversation about Snivvians and Astromechs,

I will let this poll run its course, but I figured out a better way to pose this question: in 15 parts.

They will not be ran back to back, as there are many issues running through the Star Wars community that we will find make for interesting discussions, but eventually I can reach this goal.

A sample question would show a featured picture of the vintage Death Star Droid, asking "Should Hasbro make this figure?"

a) Yes, get it out as soon as possible
b) I am satisfied with the black version
c) No, make a Classic figure for which no version has been done
d) No, make figures only from TPM and AOTC

Another question - more basic as a new version has not been done in any form - would be to show Romba and poll "Should Hasbro make this figure for the modern line?"

a) Yes, as soon as possible.
b) No thanks, I prefer other choices for Classic Star Wars.
c) No, I only want figures now that are from TPM and AOTC.

There is a vast difference between Romba, and the opinions out there on whether the Vintage Death Star Droid has or has not been redone. Some people really care about the one on the Sandcrawler, others do not.

If you only collect your figures carded, it is not as simple as "get some paint thinner" or some silver sprayer. And even if you do dioramas like me, you trust Hasbro to do better than your own custom paint job.

stillakid
11-28-2001, 01:58 PM
AHHHHHHH! Too much information! Too many questions! Still confused.

Whatever it all means, inevitably I'd like to see every stinkin' character committed to plastic in the best way that technology will allow. I prefer the characters that actually bothered showing up in the films first and then with the time and money left over, Hasbro could screw around with extraneous characters from DROIDS, EWOKS, and EU.

Resculpts are fine if they are a genuinely vast improvement over past sculpts, otherwise screw 'em. Spend time making the characters that have yet to be released in any way so far.

Who's with me?:Pirate:

bigbarada
11-28-2001, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
[in his particular case, according to Sansweet's book, "Kenner" based him on a pic they had of an almost-Snivvian looking alien seen as a Cloud City alien. So while not exact to the vintage design, I would like this figure authentically 'redone.'

Actually, blue Snags was made first, waaaaay back in 1979 when all Kenner had for a reference was a black+white photo of Snags' face from the Holiday Special. They didn't realize he was supposed to be short and they just guessed on the color of his suit. The only thing that puzzles me, why was Lucas so particular about Snags looking accurate but still let that Walrusman slip thru the cracks? Or even the totally inaccurate Greedo? Both of them actually had roles in the movie, Snags just sat in the background!:confused:

Anyways, I agree with stillakid, resculpts are great as long as they are an improvement. Not just the same old figure with a couple of different accesories.

stillakid
11-28-2001, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Anyways, I agree with stillakid, resculpts are great as long as they are an improvement. Not just the same old figure with a couple of different accesories.

WE AGREE on something! :happy:

bigbarada
11-28-2001, 08:28 PM
By jove, you're right!!:eek: :sur: :happy:

Tycho
11-28-2001, 09:34 PM
What I don't get is why resculpts got into this discussion?

I'm talking about figures not available in our modern collection, and I hope you're all not confused about that sort of thing.

bigbarada
11-28-2001, 09:37 PM
These poll discussions always manage to get totally off topic.

:sur:

Hmmmm, "poll discussions" could be taken couple of different ways. How about "discussions about polls?" Egads that's even worse!!:sur: :sur:

Uhhhh, yeah.....make all the figures that haven't been made yet. Yeah.

stillakid
11-28-2001, 10:30 PM
I thought that that is what I said. I want any and all figures not yet made. That inevitably lead to a comment about resculpts, but only as a kind of reinforcement of the decision to want figures not available in our modern collection.

Did that make sense? I've been up for quite a long time today so the sentences aren't really flowing out of my head so well.

Tycho
11-29-2001, 04:34 AM
Yes, it made sense.

Now the two choices are running neck and neck.

Either this is a very controversial issue, or I still have everyone really confused.

The fact that someone might be erasing their cookiees and voting over and over again occurred to me, but I hope it's not the case. The poll was inspired by my idea that I'd like the collector community to know what a large sample of its members want to see as a whole. Can those who want a Hoth Rebel Deck Officer expect to see one? And is the present Bespin Security Guard satisfying, or do we still want a black one, like in days of old?

I can admit when I made a mistake, and this is it. There are only 15 possible figures, (I think) so I should slowly poll for each one individually, and take the current results of this poll that's running to mean the community is undecided. They might be split, or they might be confused. A comparison of the results will be interesting,
but I can't just spend 15 weeks on one pet topic. Other people who visit the site and don't care at all about this issue will get bored. So slowly, we'll have our answer.

Wolfwood319
11-29-2001, 04:57 AM
I get it now. Actually, though, this new incarnation of the poll would need me to change my response. I would vote for the first answer now, and not the second choice.

The way they were worded originally made the second choice then seem like the first choice now. But I'm not gonna go through the hassle of rechanging my vote by the aforementioned process.

I figure (no pun intended:D ), we might as well get all the figures that we can get.

Tycho
11-29-2001, 03:02 PM
Exactly WHEN did it make sense?

Steve and I are trying to figure out the best way to word this.

When you posted, I had 4 example figures included: SILVER Death Star Droid, Romba, Reikeen, and Amidala.

It looks like they were removed now (not by me), as it is important to make the poll questions short to fit a format.

Did you guys require the examples with specific figure styles, or does the poll still make sense now?

I'm interested in everyones' response.

stillakid
11-29-2001, 03:21 PM
My manufacturer apparently placed a "block" in my head with prohibits my comprehension of this poll. :confused:

Wolfwood319
11-29-2001, 03:23 PM
The examples were good. That's when it made the most sense.

Choice 1: Remake all (Romba and Silver DS droid)
Choice 2: Remake ones that haven't had any incarnation in POTF2/POTJ (Romba)
Choice 3: Just make new figs of OT characters that haven't been made into figs ever. (Reikee)
Choice 4: Just E1, E2, E3 figs. (Amidala)

They way it seemed to be worded originally was as follows.

Choice 1: Remake just ones that have already been made, but not like they were vintage (i.e. Silver DS droid but NOT Romba)
Choice 2: Remake ones that haven't been made (Romba)

The other 2 choices were the same.

In the middle of the rewording, at some point it sounded as if one of the choices was to release the vintage figs again. (i.e. the TRU 4-pack, vintage figs on new cards)

The options with the examples were the best in my opinion. Just leave it the way it is now, but put the examples back.

stillakid
11-29-2001, 05:47 PM
Thanks WW. Now I'm getting in. Put me down for Choice #1 and a cup o' joe.

Tycho
12-02-2001, 06:47 AM
Pretty much, Steve didn't want the examples' names put back in because we need the poll responses to be short and simplified.

I deferred to him, and there is some possibility that examples might still confuse people: Silver Death Star Droid and Romba might sound like those going without an Imperial Dignitary- and that's certainly not what I meant.

But thank you for your suggestions Wolfwood. If the poll could have been corrected sooner, or if it weren't ending tonight, I would have used them.

As it stands, I am going to poll each of the 15 figures individually, probably over the next 30 weeks so we can poll other topics of interest, too. I will discuss with Steve, starting with the Death Star Droid, or Blue Snaggletoothe, for Monday's new poll. But we can't stick on my latest 'pet issue' at the expense of other topics. If I don't do the DS Droid on Monday, it will be 1 or 2 weeks after.

Thank you all for your comments. This has been educational.

Jargo
12-02-2001, 02:08 PM
Ideally what i'd like to see is one sculpt of the vintage versions that was really hot. Figures I've never even seen in the flesh like the Imperial dignitary and the ewoks. But couldn't the army builder figures be made with a head pack in so you can swap the heads if you buy more than one to sort of customise them? I'll take this thought to the appropriate section later.

I think if there's so few of the vintage figures still remaining it would be a little churlish of hasbro to not redo them in curent style with mucho detail and correct scale and all the rest of it. If it means getting ewoks in a cinema scene or in a mail-in box like this fan club exclusive stormtrooper thing then yes go for it and I'll buy as many as I can lay my hands on.

What i don't want to see is reissues of vintage figures which I just don't like. "You bought them once now buy them all over again and we'll gladly take your money!!!" okay so there may be a market, a small market for the vintage figures but from what i've seen around the net there are more collectors of new sculpted figures. So that's the way to go. IMO.....:D

Tycho
07-22-2004, 12:44 PM
It's been a long time since we revisted this poll.

Look what's been achieved for our collections:

1) Chief Chirpa
2) Lumat
3) Warrick
4) Romba
5) General Madine
6) Imperial Dignitary sort of - but Slim Aloo hasn't been made yet
7) Cloud Car Pilot
8) Klaatu (actual character name of a forest Nikto from Jabba's Palace)
9) B-wing Pilot (human)
10) Blue Snaggletoothe (mistakenly based on a Cloud City Snivvian) who would have thought???
11) Leia Bespin Gown (carded, only molded)
12) Hoth Rebel Soldier (TaunTaun handler, or Deck Officer like Vintage)
13) Bespin Security Guard (black)
14) Death Star Droid (silver) - see the Sandcrawler exclusive pack-in
15) Paploo carded (and maybe resculpted -that awaits to be seen)

Did I forget anyone?

How many of more from these ideas do you want?

Kidhuman
07-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Well we got a Hoth soldier, but not to the point you described. ANd one thing I noticed is 50% of whats left on the list is Ewoks. :ermm: :beard: :eek: