PDA

View Full Version : Please help settle an argument

mightywhelk
09-10-2003, 05:08 AM
Hello,

An office argument has erupted and I really hope I am right - but i'm not absolutely certain. The question is : When Star Wars was first released in 1977, did it it say on the opening scroll 'Episode IV'? I say it did, but others disagree. Please help, you're my only hope.

Thanks
Mightywhelk

[DSS]Pedr0
09-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Hello,

An office argument has erupted and I really hope I am right - but i'm not absolutely certain. The question is : When Star Wars was first released in 1977, did it it say on the opening scroll 'Episode IV'? I say it did, but others disagree. Please help, you're my only hope.

Thanks
Mightywhelk
I BELIEVE IT DID HAVE THE "A NEW HOPE" BUT NOT THE "IV", BUT I MIGHT BE MISTAKEN AND IT COULD BE THE OTHER WAY AROUND.....I FORGET ACTUALLY.

Pendo
09-10-2003, 07:51 AM
I wasn't born then, but from what I understand it said neither "Episode IV" or "A New Hope" when it was released in 1977. I think those two titles were added with Ep4's re-release so it was the same as TESB's :). I'm not 100% sure on that though.

PENDO!

Beast
09-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Pendo's correct, Lucas origianlly left off the 'Episode IV: A New Hope', since it was uncertain at the time, whether the film would be popular enough to guarentee the entire Saga. When it became box-office gold, greenlighting future films it was decided to tack on the chapter number. This occured during the re-release for ANH, before ESB opened in theaters. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-10-2003, 11:56 AM
hehehehehe Office Arguement. Alright, who stole who's stapler?!?!??! I'm gonnna set..the building on fire. :D

MASTER_JEDI
09-10-2003, 10:08 PM
hehehehehe Office Arguement. Alright, who stole who's stapler?!?!??! I'm gonnna set..the building on fire. :D

LOL!!!!! Geat movie:)...

I never knew that though, interesting...

Kidhuman
09-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Pendo's correct, Lucas origianlly left off the 'Episode IV: A New Hope', since it was uncertain at the time, whether the film would be popular enough to guarentee the entire Saga. When it became box-office gold, greenlighting future films it was decided to tack on the chapter number. This occured during the re-release for ANH, before ESB opened in theaters. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

So thats where the SE'S started. Way back when. :crazed:

bobafrett
09-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Yes, I being old enough to remember seeing ANH at the theatre in 1977, recall that there was no "Episode IV: A New Hope".

Now where did I put my car keys?

stillakid
09-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Hmm, I seem to remember it having the episode number on it (but not the ANH title). Just, Episode IV, Star Wars. I vaguely recall an article from way back when which examined this mystery.

When I get the chance, I'll dig through my tomes of stuff and see if I can find something about it.

TheDarthVader
09-11-2003, 05:24 PM
I was not born at the time either (like Pendo). I wish I was because then I could have gotten some of the toys and watched the movie when it first came out etc etc. Good question about the title.

Darth Jax
09-11-2003, 09:34 PM
i remember my parents taking me to the movie. i don't remember either ep IV or 'a new hope' being part of the scroll. but my memory ain't what it once was because i remember a scene of luke with his binocs looking up to see the flashes of turbolasers as the star destroyer overtook the blockade runner.

i recall both ESB and ROTJ having the titles above the scroll, but until the SE i don't recall either having the episode designation included.

Pendo
09-12-2003, 03:09 AM
but my memory ain't what it once was because i remember a scene of luke with his binocs looking up to see the flashes of turbolasers as the star destroyer overtook the blockade runner.
LOL, like me remembering the Battle Droids talking to R2 when Anakin crash lands in Episode I, and a bunch of other stuff too :p.

PENDO!

stillakid
09-12-2003, 03:34 AM
In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure that there was indeed an episode number on it. If nothing else, it helped give it that "serial" feel.

I still haven't had a chance to dig through the stuff, but this would be a great question for someone on the Jedi Coucil or Steve Sansweet to field.

JediTricks
09-12-2003, 04:02 AM
I'm 99% sure this has already been answered in the Insider, and it was answered "not there". This ain't like the starfighter smashing into the shields of the Death Star II which never got put into later versions of the films; with this sort of thing, it's so easy to remember the 1979 or '80 re-release of SW with the "Ep4:ANH" as being the first time you saw it when you were only a few years old at the time, it's easy for it all to blend together because your memories can be added to with additional information very easily at those early ages.

Exhaust Port
09-12-2003, 08:45 AM
The answer from Steve Sansweet says that the very first release of Star Wars didn't include either Episode IV or A New Hope, it was only Star Wars.

Exhaust Port
09-12-2003, 08:46 AM
Sorry, I couldn't get the link to work in the previous post so I added another.

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20021031.html

(link fixed - JT)

stillakid
09-12-2003, 10:29 AM

http://http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20021031.html

I can't get that link to work. :cry:

True, it was a long time ago, and I was only, what 8 years old? It is coming back to me however. There was an article in TIME magazine about Empire (in 1980) and in one of those sidebars, there is an article about the episode number stuff. I'll try to dig it out later this weekend.

Exhaust Port
09-12-2003, 11:05 AM
I seem to be having some issues with the new changes for us Mozilla/Netscape users.

Search for Episode IV a new hope at www.starwars.com and it's the first return.

TeeEye7
09-12-2003, 11:11 AM
As one of the old farts around here, (I was 23 when 'Star Wars' first hit the screen), there was no episode number or title when originally released.

I can remember a moment of confusion when it was re-released and the titles were added. An audible 'huh?' could be heard in the audience as we old SW vets saw the addition to the original showing we all had experienced earlies.

Exhaust Port
09-12-2003, 11:14 AM
When they added the Episode IV, was their any explaination as to the change at any point from Lucas? I'm sure everyone's thought was "What happened to the first 3?"

Pendo
09-12-2003, 11:38 AM

http://http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20021031.htmlThe link probably won't work because you've got http:// twice. try it again without 2 http://'s it works for me :).

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20021031.html

PENDO!

JediTricks
09-12-2003, 09:58 PM
I seem to be having some issues with the new changes for us Mozilla/Netscape users.I just tested with my Mozilla and it worked fine both using Insert Link and just dropping the URL. You have to remove the "http://" that's already in the Insert Link field if your link already has that part.

mightywhelk
09-13-2003, 03:55 AM
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and answered my question. Sadly, it would appear that I was wrong and I have to tell my friend that he was right. I suppose it was reasonable to assume he was right, he was 7 years old at the time while I was only 1!

Thanks again everybody!

Mightywhelk

Exhaust Port
09-14-2003, 11:40 PM
I just tested with my Mozilla and it worked fine both using Insert Link and just dropping the URL. You have to remove the "http://" that's already in the Insert Link field if your link already has that part.
Thanks JT, I didn't even notice that when I posted. :confused:

bobafrett
09-15-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks JT, I didn't even notice that when I posted. :confused:

I think Pendo should get credit for that, if you notice he has the corrected link posted right before JT.

I'm just going to shup up now, do not want to disturb the Jedi Council.

Exhaust Port
09-15-2003, 01:35 PM
Oops, you're right Bobafrett. My apologies to Pendo for not giving proper credit. :)

JediTricks
09-15-2003, 10:39 PM
I think Pendo should get credit for that, if you notice he has the corrected link posted right before JT.

I'm just going to shup up now, do not want to disturb the Jedi Council.
Yeah, but I'm the one that noticed how it might have happened. :p :D

stillakid
09-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Here's the part of the article that I referred to previously...

Exhaust Port
09-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Where did you find that article? Have you been holding on to that for 20+ years?

Kidhuman
09-26-2003, 04:06 PM
He just knew it would come in handy at some point

stillakid
09-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Where did you find that article? Have you been holding on to that for 20+ years?

I've got a box full o' "scrapbook" crap in the closet. Articles, entire magazines, newspaper clippings, other printed paraphenalia. Why? I don't know, I just can't bring myself to toss it. I already knew that I was nuts for spending so much frickin' cash on toys, so this is just a minor addendum.

Exhaust Port
09-26-2003, 09:13 PM
Well that is impressive. You hold the ultimate trump cards in Star Wars discussions or arguments. "Oh Yeah?! Well I have an article from 1978 that states otherwise." In addition that obvious benefit it's interesting to see impressions or assumptions made at that time about future movies and such. I would never get rid of your collection stilla.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-03-2003, 01:02 AM
"A New Hope" and "Episode IV" were not in the original release, but I wouldn't know from personal experience as I chose to go see Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo that day instead. A year or two later, I saw it at the drive-in, and I could have swore I saw the "Episode IV", and misreaded it as "Episode VI" and wondering what that was all about, since I didn't know there was going to be sequels yet. That was the only time I saw ANH in the theater until the Special Edition. By the time ESB was released, I think I had read that Time magazine article that said there were going to be 9 movies and that ANH and and ESB were episodes IV and V. But course, it was a long time ago. I could be all confoozled.