PDA

View Full Version : Anybody a Burtonite in here?

Brave Sir Robin
11-26-2001, 08:53 AM
Burtonite meaning a Tim Burton nut. My favorite films of his are Sleepy Hollow, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Beetlejuice.

Starfig873
11-26-2001, 11:08 AM
Well, I suppose yes. I love Beetlejuice, and Nightmare Before Christmas like no other. And I thought Sleepy Hollow was very, very well done.

So yes. I guess so. :happy:

Rollo Tomassi
11-26-2001, 01:08 PM
ugh. I doubt it. Sleepy Hollow WAS good, but Planet of the Apes sucked itself into mediocrity. Beetlejuice, Ed Scissorhands and Mars Attack chewed the big poo toy. I've not seen Ed Wood, but I heard that's pretty good. Of course thats what they said about Scissorhands too...Batman rocked and Batman Returns was a mediocre roller coaster. Some good stuff. Some excrement. But for the most part, I'd say Burton is a turd machine as in "constantly cranking out..."

preacher
11-26-2001, 02:28 PM
I second the "ugh" that Rollo supplied above. The ONLY two movies of Timmy's that I've enjoyed were Sleepy Hollow :)
and Batman :D. In every other movie I felt no connection with the characters at all. :zzz: It seemed to me that whatever vision that Timmy was vying for in his movies is overshadowed by the attention he directs to his sets. :eek: I think Sleepy Hollow and Batman worked because of this attention, but in his other movies it interferes with the story telling. I thought Nightmare before christmas was just sick.:crazed:

Planet of the Apes was a huge plume of skunk stink. :mad: Burton merged nearly all the original movies into one 1.75 hr. It didn't help the POTA saga at all. :rolleyes: Yes, I know it was supposed to be a "reimagining" of the classic story, but it was a poorly made rehash of a story that was already a classic. POTA was evidence burton should never EVER tread into sci-fi again. If he does I say we hit him with a stone right after we hit Raimes for that Green Goblin armor and Cameron for the organic webshooters. :evil: Yes, I'm venting my disapproval of some the things I'm seeing with the Spidey flick. :cry:

The only director I despise more than Burton is that nancy boy Joel Schumacher. Good lord if he had done Planet of the Apes all the primates would have had neon glow for their armor and the Marky Mark would have had a codpiece over his astro suit.:stupid:

JediCole
11-26-2001, 02:56 PM
I would not go so far as to say that I am a Burtonite, but I do think he is one of the more compelling directors out there. Ed Wood was by far his best work to date, and the most mature, from the standpoint of a filmmaker. Batman and Nightmare Before Christmas are also wonderfully inspired works. As for Planet of the Apes and Sleepy Hollow, I think that Burton did well with what he had in many ways, but to blame all of their faults on the director assumes 100% control over every single aspect of the film. I believe both of these suffered from script short falls (Apes moreso than Sleepy Hollow), but many of the problems do rest squarely on Burton's shoulders. I am also fond of Batman Returns and Beetlejuice. I found Mars Attacks to be disjointed and poorly realized. I also enjoyed Edward Scissorhands, but it has been years since I've seen that film. However, the the top three Burton films referenced here are also in my top 100 of all films I've seen, probably putting Burton in the top 5 directors of said films.

Mike Troxell
11-26-2001, 03:08 PM
My name is Mike and I'm a Burtonite.

Vincent, Tim Burton's animated short film, is classic.
Frankenweenie is the same.
Pee Wee's Big Adventure, in my opinion, is one of the best modern comedy films of all time.
Beetlejuice is great, and in no way chewed on any oversized poo toys.
Batman. . . how can you not love it? It beats Superman: The Movie as best superhero film ever.
Edward Scissorhands is, bar none, my favorite film of all time. Not a bad moment.
Batman Returns was a good sequel to a great movie.
The Nightmare Before Christmas is not really a Tim Burton film (It was directed by Monkeybone's Henry Selick, but it is a great flick in itself.
Ed Wood...great, if not perfect.
Mars Attacks! is a brilliant flick.
Sleepy Hollow, while good, showed that Burton was going mainstream (was it the failure of Mars Attacks! that did it to him?).
Planet of the Apes would have been a satisfactory effort from any other director. As a Burton film. . . a slight disappointment.

SWAFMAN
11-26-2001, 05:33 PM
I'm not a Burtonite, but in defense of the film - not his directing - I have to say that although his PLAPES remake didn't hit the mark (in my opinion), it did contain some good performances.

As much as I try to continue disliking Marky-Mark, in all fairness I have to say he has delivered some very respectable performances. Particularly, his role in "The Yards" was, again in my opinion, a job well done. Although I thought Don Cheadle stole the entire film, I thought Wahlberg did a decent job in Boogie Nights, however it was far too graphic for me to ever accept it as a serious film. I also think he managed to not suck in 3 Kings and Perfect Storm, but I've yet to see his "Rock Star" film.

Getting back to APES - I thought Tim Roth's General Thade performance was absolutely deserving of a Best Supporting Actor nomination, as was Rick Baker's work in letting Roth's amazing facial emotions show through the prosthetic makeup.

Speaking of Rick Baker and Tim Burton, the other Burton film I was very impressed with was Ed Wood. But again, it was as much for the outstanding performance of Martin Landau as it was for Burton's direction, that I enjoyed this film so much. Assisted by Rick Baker's outstanding makeup, Landau does a Lugosi that has to be one of the absolute BEST portrayals of another person that anyone has ever done on film.

I thought the first Batman was groundbreaking as a major motion picture for Burton and Keaton's bold strategy of "darkness." I have no inside information, but I'll bet that entire production design of dark and gloom was a tough sell to the studio and producers, as no film other than Alien has previously tried anything like it, and although Ridley Scott's Alien (and arguably his Blade Runner) may have used the dark lighting well, Burton's dark, goth production style was absolutely fresh and unique when Batman first came out.

I thought Beetlejuice, PeeWee, Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Nightmare Before Christmas and Batman 2 were all respectable but not exceptional films. My kids love "Nightmare..." and I know some people are fanatical over Beetlejuice.

I thought Mars Attacks was a real let-down. More so because I'd hoped Burton would've been able to apply the experience of his Ed Wood production into making a modern version of an Ed Wood-esque ultra-B sci-fi movie. Instead, Mars Attacks was just a horrid, disjointed failure. There aren't many directors whose careers could have withstood that bad of a film.

Sorry to have run on so long. I guess I tend to do that quite a bit.
:confused:

Sith Worm
11-26-2001, 06:06 PM
Not A burnie, but did love Sleepy holow and of course both Batmans , after all he put Admiral Motti in one and Porkins in the other whats not to love?...

Brave Sir Robin
11-27-2001, 10:37 AM
OOOOOH! I forgot Vincent, that one is brilliant too. I saw that in the theater when I went to see NMBC as a kid.

Frankly I do not understand how someone can NOT enjoy Mars Attacks. It's such an engenious combination of of hilarity and all-out violence and is an EXCELLENT spoof on those old Saucer movies. Plus, the little martians kind of remind me of my roomate.

And I was Edward for Halloween this year. And I won a prize for my costume. The only Burton films I have not seen are Ed Wood and Planet of the Apes.

stillakid
11-27-2001, 10:49 AM
The guy should stick to what he does best: production design. He's a lousy director and his stories are thin to begin with. The movies always look really good but lack any depth of character or inspire interest in the unraveling plot. Hell, he could've directed TPM!:sur:

SWAFMAN
11-27-2001, 01:06 PM
I really don't want to get sucked into defending Burton, as he isn't on my list of favorite directors (Coppola, Friedkin, Kubrick [NOT including 'EWS'], Lucas, Sayles, Scorcese and Stone would be on that list), but I take exception to the blanket comment that his films lack depth of character.

I point again to Landau's Lugosi in Ed Wood, and to a lesser degree, Keaton's Batman. Granted, these are but two examples out of dozens of characters portrayed. Those directors named above have brought forth hundreds of incredibly well-developed characters, often generating better than a dozen in a single film.

Overall, I'd have to agree that Burton has not met the same mark as a director as those others named, but Landau's performance was one in a million - I don't care who directed him.

stillakid
11-27-2001, 01:13 PM
I'll jump into the Landau pile, for sure. But that's Landau. Some actors don't need much help to deliver that Oscar worthy performance.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-27-2001, 03:18 PM
Yeah, POTA both blew and sucked at the same time (which, BTW, is a physical impossibility), but Burton's made better movies than the majority of Hollywood directors/producers. Besides that, he was the one to get Danny Elfman to start doing movie scores. The one downside was that Boingo ended up breaking up.

That Pee Wee's Big Adventure was the best., IMO I would love to get it on DVD if it's available

"Shh. I'm listening to reason."

Mike Troxell
11-27-2001, 03:55 PM
"MAKE ME!" "I don't make monkeys, I just train 'em!"

Pee-Wee is a great one. It is on Region I DVD with two commentaries (One with Burton and Reubens, One with Isolated Score and Danny Elfman), Cut Scenes, Trailers. A very good production for a very good movie. Entertainment Weekly put it in the top 50 DVDs list (of course, this was before such well-made DVD's as TPM, Shrek, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes (with Elfman score/commentary again--Elfman seems to be big on the whole commentary and score thing with commentary/scores in Mars Attacks!, Planet of the Apes, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, The Family Man, Beetlejuice, and Edward Scissorhands).

Mandalorian Candidat
11-27-2001, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Mike Troxell
"MAKE ME!" "I don't make monkeys, I just train 'em!"

Pee-Wee is a great one. It is on Region I DVD with two commentaries (One with Burton and Reubens, One with Isolated Score and Danny Elfman), Cut Scenes, Trailers. A very good production for a very good movie. Entertainment Weekly put it in the top 50 DVDs list (of course, this was before such well-made DVD's as TPM, Shrek, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes (with Elfman score/commentary again--Elfman seems to be big on the whole commentary and score thing with commentary/scores in Mars Attacks!, Planet of the Apes, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, The Family Man, Beetlejuice, and Edward Scissorhands).

All right! Thanks for the info. I guess that'll be one more thing to put on my XMas wish list.

El Chuxter
11-27-2001, 05:59 PM
Mike (or anyone else in the know), is the Mars Attacks soundtrack out of print? It seems to have suddenly vanished from every store I know of. :cry:

As for the good Mr Burton, I have yet to see a bad film from him, or even, IMHO, a film that is less than outstanding. I, for one, loved the new Planet of the Apes. It had its flaws, but it was an awesome film. (I thought it was better than the original which, though still an excellent film, worked best as an allegory.)

Of course, I'm the only person here who likes the AOTC teaser poster, so don't mind me. :crazed:

GNT
11-28-2001, 05:14 AM
I'm no "Burtonite" but I do enjoy Beetlejuice and the first 2 Batman films :)

Mike Troxell
11-28-2001, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Mike (or anyone else in the know), is the Mars Attacks soundtrack out of print? It seems to have suddenly vanished from every store I know of. :cry:

Of course, I'm the only person here who likes the AOTC teaser poster, so don't mind me. :crazed:

The Mars Attacks! Soundtrack is indeed out of print, which is a shame. I'd certainly recommend a DVD rip now, because it will be hard to find a copy for a good price, none of the proceeds go to Elfman anymore (unless you somehow manage to find one in a retail store), and there are quite a few great tracks on there.

And I love the teaser poster.

JediTricks
11-28-2001, 09:46 PM
I can't say I'm a Burtonite. While I loved PW's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, and Batman, by the time Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns rolled around, I was definitely turned off by Burton. Those 2 movies were way too indulgent for my tastes, especially with the limited-yet-overboard sets like Gotham's streets in BatReturns. I didn't enjoy Ed Wood, Mars Attacks, or Sleepy Hollow either, though Ed Wood I just didn't enjoy based on its merits, I didn't think it was as over-indulgent as the others. Burton does great work sometimes, but I agree with many others who say he's not balanced enough for big-budget films.

El Chuxter
02-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Looks like this thread died out before Big Fish, but that definitely cemented him as a great director.

You cried at the end. Admit it. If you say you didn't, you're a liar.

Slicker
02-12-2007, 12:53 AM
And I love the teaser poster.It's just too bad that the movie sucked.:cry:

plasticfetish
02-12-2007, 02:49 AM
Funny, Sleepy Hollow has been on cable a lot lately, and I like that movie.

I'm for sure a Burton fan, but in the last few years he's made a few that weren't as good as they could have been (Corpse Bride, Planet of the Apes.)

I love Ed Wood, Mars Attacks!, Edward Scissorhands, Beetle Juice and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

I like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Big Fish, Sleepy Hollow and both Batman movies.

POTA didn't really "suck" as much as most people seem to say, but it had a lot to live up to and it missed the mark. There were some lame elements, and I think the pacing was bad... but it had its cool parts. (He probably should have skipped making this one.)

Corpse Bride was good, but the story wasn't different enough from The Nightmare Before Christmas (which was great.)

He's doing Sweeney Todd right now, and I'm excited. Can't imagine a better story for him to do... but I think the film will be a musical also. (Depp sings?)

JON9000
02-12-2007, 09:22 AM
And here I thought this thread was about Jack Burton whom I quote at every opportunity.

"A six-demon bag, sensational... what's in it, Egg?"

2-1B
02-12-2007, 06:46 PM
"ol Jack Burton says..."

Big Fish was good but he should have been blacklisted for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. ENOUGH ALREADY out of this freak.

Kidhuman
02-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Looks like this thread died out before Big Fish, but that definitely cemented him as a great director.

You cried at the end. Admit it. If you say you didn't, you're a liar.

I cried

I like Burtons films. Big Fish, Eddie Scissorhands, Willie Wonka, Nightmare, Corpse Bride, Beetlejuice and Sleepy Hollow(which I watched over the weekend). All well made and well filmed.

And yes PF, Depp sings. Cry-baby (http://imdb.com/title/tt0099329/).

El Chuxter
02-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Jonny Depp is the greatest actor of our generation.

Accept it.

plasticfetish
02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
And yes PF, Depp sings. Cry-baby (http://imdb.com/title/tt0099329/).Oooooh yeah. That's right.