PDA

View Full Version : Smallville Season 3

scruffziller
09-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Starts Oct. 1st on the WB. Wednesdays 8/7c.

Tycho
09-12-2003, 02:24 AM
Yup. And they HAD to put it on opposite Star Trek.

Well, here's testimony to this show: I'll be taping Smallville on Wednesdays and waiting until Sunday for Enterprise (if I'm not going to be home - if not I'll tape Enterprise and watch Smallville live!)

Smallville's just the best! Yup.

Hellboy
09-23-2003, 10:10 PM
Yeah Tycho thats exactly the way I'm doing it too. Smallville seems to always get put up against another show I watch. Last year it was 24 but luckily both shows repeated, Smallville was on again on Sunday and 24 was on multiple times on FX. Is Smallville going to re-play on Sunday's this season? I read somewhere the WB was doing a Smallville: Beginnings show and figured that must be a new title for the re-airing of previous seasons but I'm not sure.

Tycho
09-24-2003, 03:22 AM
Today I got the Season 1 DVD set! Haven't watched it yet (I'm in a Western phase where I need to view Wyatt Earp and Tombstone multiple times) but I'll crack them open in the next day or so.

Supposedly a week from today is the season premier! (I thought it was today but I'll chance watching Star Trek instead).

Tycho
10-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Well, the season opener wasn't the best episode I've ever seen....

But Lana looked hot.

It started good. But part 2 will be better.

I think it's kind of silly giving Jonathon Clark's powers. But maybe this will work out. Who knows?

What did you guys think?

mrmiller
10-02-2003, 09:52 AM
I enjoyed the episode, but it definately had that "part 1" feel to it. Once I see part 2 I guess I'll know better. I kinda liked the Jonathan thing. It gave it more of that comic book feel that Smallville lacks most of the time. I'm still more interested in Lex's story than Clarks, so next week should be a good one.

=MATT=

scruffziller
10-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Yea I do think it is kinda silly giving Johnathan powers. It gives that whole "making the story richer than it should be feeling" That is the problem with prequels alot of times. Even SW gives me that feeling. The back story isn't that intertesting that is why they started where they started, otherwise they would have started with where the prequels were. Now granted Superman's back story in Smallville was introduced but it was never intended to be put in the light that SMALLVILLE the show did. Still like the show alot but sometimes stuff like this is "far fetched" for the story itself.:D But man did anyone have a noggin scratcher of what was going on with Lex on that island. SOmetimes I couldn't figure out what was real when CLark was popping up back home too. What was the deal with the Kents losing their farm all of a sudden right towards the end there?:confused: Stuff like that is introduced right at the beggining of the show. Or there are indications of it leading up to it. That is why I didn't think it was real. I wonder how this series premiere eps are going to set the tone for the rest of the season?

JediTricks
10-02-2003, 07:03 PM
This ep didn't do it for me. Basically, they've made Clark into a drug addict and it didn't seem reasonable given his character in the first 2 seasons. Also, Jonathan's powers was a HUGE step away from the core concept of the show, very disappointing. Honestly, with the Kent's farm being foreclosed upon in this opener, Lex's wife turning out to be a shallow shopping addict, and the previous stuff mentioned, this ep really felt like a nosedive.

Tycho
10-09-2003, 03:53 AM
Tonight's episode was much better.

I really liked the resolution to the Lex and Helen issue, though I'm sorry to see such a hottie have to leave the show (though she'll be back I'm sure. Just less frequently).

Mr. Edge: does he look like Jerry Springer or what? I doubt he was killed, but they creatively blocked him from talking to Lionnel Luthor. Yet it's hard to believe that Lionnel doesn't know the source of the blood, as well. Really. Like he was blind before (yeah, right). He fakes ignorance while he consolidates knowledge.

I didn't like Clark trying to separate himself from Lana. She's his dream. Would he rather spend his days hanging Kent Family Farms signs all over the hay fields? Lana was ready to take him back right there, and Clark acted like an idiot.

Where was Pete during this episode anyway?

If I was Clark, I'd just tell Lana my secret already. She'll have to deal with it for a month or more to be realistic, but then she'll take Clark back as her lover and her hero.

I love Kristen Kruek so much that I wince when I see her cry!

Meanwhile, John Schneider was awesome as Jonathon Kent. I was a fan of the Dukes of Hazard but always thought the sherrif deputies got the best on screen moments. In Smallville, John proves he can really act. He might not be as complicated as the Luthors, but man does he bring a lot to this show.

Hmm. What else? Lana never deals with having killed someone. She's kicked butt before, but never realized a mortal strike like this one. That wasn't necessary to address? I guess not. Reminded me of Legends of the Fall in that one scene though (the pitch fork sticking through the dude's chest). I don't recall, but they might've done that in The Firm, also.

Anyway, a good show tonight. Not the best, but far from the worst.

scruffziller
10-09-2003, 02:15 PM
Ditto on what Tycho said.

But I found it humorous at the end when Lex says,
"I just want to be part of the family." and everyone is smiling and having a grand old time and I am laughing hysterically
because of what it all means...:sur:..:D:crazed:

Oh, and I like the Smallville Movers logo.:happy:

JediTricks
10-09-2003, 09:11 PM
I thought this ep kinda sucked. The opening sequence was incredibly telegraphed, I saw it coming from last week's trailer for this ep! The rest of this felt so much like a damn soap opera that I was surprised nobody got amnesia. And Clark dumping Lana yet again was so incredibly stale.

JetsAndHeels
10-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Hi folks!! Its been a while. Just wanted to chime in on the Smallville issue.
I have to say that this past week's episode, "Phoenix", was much better than the season premiere. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode because it resolved a few season 2 issues, and it was well written. I liked how Clark got out of the moving truck at the end when Morgan Edge and Lionel were waiting to see the "source" of the unusual blood sample. I think Clark's quick thinking of using his heat vision on the gas tank was a good move also.
Hopefully this week's episode will be good. I love this show but I pray season 3 doesn't have alot of those "kryptonite freak of the week" shows. I think season 1 and 2 gave us plenty of those.
Also the season 1 dvd set is great. If you don't have it yet go get it. For $50 you cant beat that deal.
Great to be back folks.

Tycho
10-16-2003, 12:20 AM
Tonight's episode was great! I really enjoyed the guest casting, the story, and the whole twists in the plot development.

They are taking some great liberties with doing very sensual shots of Lana Lang again, and I definitely am in love with that idea!

Next week she's going skinny-dipping with Clark! Rah-Rah-Rah!

But so far it seems like it will be another strong season for Smallville, minus the premier episode, which was weak next to the last 3!

Again the sexual tension is back with Clark and Lana, but does anybody else wish they would just get back together? I mean they are so right for each other, and here's the girl of Clark's dreams telling him she loves him, and would still love him even if he was a meteorite freak! She's perfect for him.

I am going to hate Lois Lane!

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2003, 08:23 AM
That really is the whole idea when it comes to Clark's relationship with Lana. She seems right for him now, but its obvious they are not meant to be together. I do get ill at Clark for not being receptive to Lana's open invitation. She just wants him to open up but he just won't do it. I wonder if he will indeed finally let her in on his secret, because in the Superman mythos she does know, like Lois, and keeps it a secret. It all depends on how the writers and producers decide to do it. Probably will see a little more tension when Lois Lane's character is introduced, which is more than likely going to be late this season or next season.
I enjoyed last night's episode. It did deal with the meteor freak of the week type scenario, but still took a different angle, putting Clark in the mix. I also think it is interesting that Lex is getting a Superman complex himself. For some reason he now thinks HE is the invincible one.
Can't wait for next week.

mrmiller
10-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Smallville was a good one this week. I like there being an occasional “Freak of the Week” episode, so that Smallville doesn’t get too bogged down in a Soap Opera like way. Lionel just continuously steals the show, what a great Character. The Luthors are the best part of the show in my opinion. I didn’t stick around to watch the previews of next week as I was trying to get back to the Baseball game. Is it another Freak of the Week type, or more serial based on the continuing storyline? The skinny Diping part does sound promising.

=MATT=

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2003, 11:30 AM
Basically the preview just showed Clark and Lana in the water and then something happens, and I imagine Clark is going to have to act.
However the official description of the episode is:
Sara and her uncle Nicholas are two newcomers to Smallville. Nicholas comments about how friendly folks are when Lana and Clark come over to visit. They have moved "next door" to Clark, which may mean they're taking up residence in Aunt Nell's old place.
* Sara sleeps comatose. She's been in a catatonic state for several years, or so her uncle says.
* Clark correctly guesses Sara's favorite flower as lilacs, and inquires Nicholas about why he's just bringing Sara to Smallville now instead of years ago.
Clark is put into some danger by a shadowy figure in a red cloak with gnarled, bony hands.
* It later comes about that Sara created a "monster" in her mind, and that monster may be "her uncle."

That's about all I got out of the description. Hope that helps.

scruffziller
10-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Man, that was bold and cold what Big Bad Lionel did there to Chloe at the end.:D

This ep was cool because it really showed the "reporter" Clark coming out in a way we haven't seen as much. I think it will make the series a little richer.

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2003, 11:58 AM
I totally agree about Lionel. He definately plays hardball and knows how to use his power. I have to admit though he makes alot of the show what it is. No matter how bad he or Lex turn out to be, in the end you can't hate them because they are just so dog gone good at being bad.

scruffziller
10-16-2003, 12:11 PM
I totally agree about Lionel. He definately plays hardball and knows how to use his power. I have to admit though he makes alot of the show what it is. No matter how bad he or Lex turn out to be, in the end you can't hate them because they are just so dog gone good at being bad.I'll give an AMEN!!!!!!:D

But Allison Mack did a good job in that scene turning into a frightened little mouse.

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2003, 12:24 PM
Yes, she did get frightened, very quickly. But that goes back to what we were saying about Lionel's character. He threatened her father's job and exercised that power he has. He is such a sneaky bastard, yet he is great just the same.

Tycho
10-16-2003, 06:57 PM
JangoFett: I think you put in almost too much information for next week's episode. Think it spoiled it? I mean it's a lot of guest star info, so I could be wrong.

Meanwhile, where did Lana get that brand new SUV from? The insurance paid out from the truck she lost in the tornado?

They go through more cars on this show! Auto insurance must cost tripple in Smallville!

I guess it's a fall out from having John Schneider on the show. The Dukes of Hazzard destroyed more cars than probably any TV show in history. I think there was a minimal quota of 2 per show. Smallville sometimes follows in the Dukes' footsteps. Just noticed that.

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2003, 08:56 PM
I didn't actually post everything I know about that episode, so no I do not think I spoiled it. If it turns out that I do indeed spoil it, next week I won't post squat!! LoL
Just trying to help out a bit.

JediTricks
10-17-2003, 05:50 AM
JF96's info didn't surprise me much, just clarified what I suspected: what we've seen of next week's ep is almost certainly going to be a dream sequence.

(Tycho, please dial it back on the sex talk - not kidding)

This week's ep was ok, some of it felt pretty thin though, like the villain kid turning into Rambo and smelting kryptonite bullets over a relatively low temp campfire. Basic premise was a good twist, but the ending with another "is he gonna tell her the truth? no." bit is just so damn stale now.

scruffziller
10-23-2003, 03:44 PM
This ep was pretty interesting and a real good concept that elaborated on one of Supes other weakness. His mind once again. Because the concept can take different many elaborate forms, unlike the kryptonite. I didn't realize though that sleep deprivation was really possible with Kal-El in his normal state. I guess it is debatable. Going by the movies, he does get hungry so I guess he can get sleepy. But it doesn't say if he "requires" it. Man I like how they keep getting things HOT with Lana.:crazed: I kinda like how they keep qwenching our thirst with these "fantasies" of Lex finding out his secret, Lana and Clark getting real intimate but yet pulling back into reality in a way that doesn't seem like it is being done for the "sake of." Some might see it that way but I'm cool with it.
The writers are doing a real good job at keeping it fresh. I don't think what Jedi Tricks is talking about "is he going to tell her" bit is stale for me, it seems to be done in a way now where it doesn't seem that way. There were a few eps last season where that felt the case but it didn't last.

Next week's ep with him meeting Perry White seems a little iffy but all those previews fool the "of that mind" minded. Seeing the previews seem to inspire a "snore" but, then watching the ep all the way through finally, they are getting better and better. :happy:

mrmiller
10-23-2003, 09:57 PM
I really liked this episode. It was more Sci-Fi than comic book. A nice break from the drama between the main characters and the freak of the week episodes, yet it still included elements of that too. One of the more enjoyable episodes IMO.

=MATT=

JetsAndHeels
10-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Definately one of the most different episodes we have seen so far. The red Ring Wraith sure was a change. Kind of a spooky character that you don't see much when it comes to Superman.
I thought the episode was decent, but not great. A few of the scenes were flat and at times the plot didn't seem too consistent. I may be wrong but I think I remember seeing an episode of Buffy that was similar to this (wouldn't be a surprise since one of Buffy's writers did this one).
I am staying optimistic for next week. Let's hope McKean can do Perry White justice (I am sure the fact that Annette O'toole is his wife had nothing to do with him getting the part).....

scruffziller
10-24-2003, 09:03 AM
(I am sure the fact that Annette O'toole is his wife had nothing to do with him getting the part).....
Whoah really.:) When did they get married?
He has gained alot of weight. He is resembling the guy who did Perry on the Lois and Clark show.

JetsAndHeels
10-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Not sure how long they've been married, but I know it's been several years.
Yes, he has gained some weight since his short tenure on SNL. Maybe the weight add on was in fact to make him look like the other Perry!!

mrmiller
10-30-2003, 11:08 AM
I thought this was a cool episode. I liked White in town, and made another cool episode with Clarks “secret” without having to be another freak of the week episode, or Clark and Lana episode. I also liked the continuing insight into Lex and whet makes him the ultimate criminal mastermind of the future. Also, the guy who played White, Mackean, did an excellent job. I know a lot of people don’t like the WB dabbling in the DC timeline, but I though this episode pulled it off, and was very entertaining.

=MATT=

JetsAndHeels
10-30-2003, 12:56 PM
I really am getting interested in the way Lex is turning so bad. When he slammed Perry onto that wall and his hand was shaking it almost sent chills down my spine. I can't help but think how this is going to turn out. Lex's character is by far the one that will go through the most changes this season. Look where he is headed now, there is no telling what he will be at the end!!
I was glad to see Perry White in this episode. I think McKean did a good job overall portraying the character. The only thing I missed was Lionel. How can you not have Lionel in an episode? He is the man!!
Next weeks episode....Smallville 1961. Why does that scare me so much? I am afraid it will be a flop. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

scruffziller
10-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Next weeks episode....Smallville 1961. Why does that scare me so much? I am afraid it will be a flop. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
A drifter that looks like Clark hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................ Cave?:confused:

Oh really liked this weeks ep. I find it hilarious that Perry had a slump phase in his life where he is a sleazy tabloid reporter.:D

Tycho
10-30-2003, 01:47 PM
It was almost a forgettable episode, but I enjoyed it a lot.

I laughed out loud hysterically, when Perry White, with a sip too many,thinks he's seeing things for a second, as a huge farm tractor drops out of the sky into the middle of nowhere! Dang that was funny, as was the sherrif's response, and especially Clark's: "It fell out of a truck."

What's next? Falling grand pianos?

Lex and his work with the therapist will definitely be of interest. They found a good foil for him in the pyschiatrist, but Mike Rosenbaum's acting is just too good! His character just totally hooks you. You guys are right that his development is going to be the most interesting!

The Wild Coyote was a good location for more scenes.

I also liked Perry White in the episode and hope he returns. He also had some great interaction with Chloe, and he totally didn't know it, but he scared her good when she learned that Lionnel Luthor took him down.

I think that Perry and Lionnel will be headed for a deadly clash. The addition of his character might reveal an element contributing to the eventual death of Lionnel Luthor.

Clark's allegience to Perry, while Lex is an enemy, might bring Lex to hate Clark.

Something Perry knows could destroy Lex's inheritance.

It's a thought.

JediTricks
10-30-2003, 07:35 PM
I thought the "character" of Perry White was so badly off-base that I half expected him to be a different person. I didn't like what McKean brought to the show, it didn't feel true at all - it wasn't Squiggy, but it wasn't Perry White either. The dialogue just didn't work for me.

As for the rest of the ep, the Lex stuff was pretty good, but the convenience of Clark's powers going out just in time was too much for me to swallow. If it had been just some generic reporter, maybe it wouldn't have been as bad, but even still. Plus, why did Perry need a ride back to the bus station if he had a camera crew in a van come out there?

scruffziller
10-31-2003, 10:18 AM
why did Perry need a ride back to the bus station if he had a camera crew in a van come out there?He didn't want to leave.:D

- it wasn't Squiggy

That's right, it was Lenny.:D

Tycho
11-01-2003, 03:42 AM
This has more to do with the DVD.

I decided to have a Smallville Season 1 party tonight and finally started watching the DVDs.

They're great. No perks or anything so far.

You press Play and the first episode just starts. There was no "Save Me" theme song in that episode (maybe due to longer run-time?) but there is in episode 2: "Bug Boy."

The show felt more epic-like production quality in the first episode, but becomes familiar Smallville once the next episode starts, and all the contemporary soundtracks start kicking in.

"Cut my life into pieces.
This is the last bug I ate.
Suffocate for no reason
but that Clark got out the "Raid"

Sung to the tune of Pappa Roach.

Too bad there isn't more footage of Lana cheerleading, but that was a short stint on the show.

Anyway, there's a really great booklet guide to each disc, and what shows are on it (approx. 4 per disc) and what scenes you can skip to (generally 5 per show).

"nicodemus" is on disc 5, for those of you who know why I brought that up... :D

Each disc has a different character featured on it. Lana's picture is really great! So are all her pictures though.

The box has Clark's picture on it, but I was hoping they'd do Season 2 like the discs, and have Lana's picture on it next year, and maybe Lex's for Season 3!

Domonic, Lionnel Luthor's cold blooded #2 is in the 3rd episode. I didn't recall him being that far-back-seeded into the show before, but you pick up all kinds of things when you have hindsight and see where they took the show now.

Also, Lex had a fling, perhaps the skinny-dipping in the pool with the girl Lana caugth him with so long ago (not shown, she just brings it up in dialogue), with possibly Domonic's sister. He tells Domonic, right after he delivers Lionnel's threats to Lex, "Oh, and say 'hi' to your sister from me."

It's also cool watching the original car wreck (when Lex's Porshe hit Clark on the bridge) over and over again. That was some stunt. So was the original meteor shower when they destroyed downtown Smallville. You can tell a lot of effects and destroyed automobiles went into that one. It still jerks tears from me (almost) when you see Lana's parents just pulverized by that meteor! Man!

Anyway, get the DVD set if you haven't done so already. It's so worth it!

JediTricks
11-01-2003, 04:37 AM
That's right, it was Lenny.:DGood point, dunno how I could forget the name of the Lone wolf. ;) But he may as well have been playing Perry Como because I didn't buy him at all in this roll.

mrmiller
11-06-2003, 11:19 AM
Wow- what an Episode huh? I actually think this might have been the worst Smallville ever. I was just rolling my eyes the entire show. I watched both Smallville and Enterprise last night, and both dealt with timelines. This just showed me how Enterprises writing ahs gotten so much better, while Smallvilles has started to slack off. Not that Smallvilles was ever outstanding, but the show always stayed entertaining enough to overlook the silly little “coincidences” that always make everything turn out OK.

I don’t think I even like the ideas that they are trying to put out in this episode. I mean, this episode pretty much affects every other episode. And it does it very silly and sophomoric. I still like the way Lex’s story is going, but Clark’s is starting to get harebrained. And by looking at the preview next week’s episode, the Clark and Lana thing is wearing thin on me. I guess it’s a good thing that I get 2 different time zones of shows at my house, or I may be switching over to Enterprise and skipping Smallville.

=MATT=

JediTricks
11-06-2003, 09:02 PM
This ep felt like a silver-age Supes story (still haven't decided whether a silver-age Superman story or Superboy story). The idea of Jor-El looking so much like Clark has been done before so I forgave, but the other conveniences got to be grating after a while. Ultimately, I found it to be an "eh" ep, neither particularly good nor bad.

scruffziller
11-07-2003, 10:56 AM
I thought this ep was one of the best eps I have seen in ages.
Man, Kristen Kreuk looked REALLY HOT in that early 60s outfit with the classic make up WOW!!!!!:crazed: I really liked the hairstyle she had. She actually looked more like a Lois Lane.

But man, with the way Tom Welling had his hair slicked back like that, he looks the best as Supes since Chris Reeve. Mainly that part when Louise and Jor-El
are floating into the sky and it is just showing their faces, it was Superman II
all over again.:happy:

But I really like how this ep put things into perspective of the things we wonder. I was just mezmerized by the fact that the Kents were chosen.
I would have liked the implementation of Brainiac better but oh well.
It could still be done. But they probably won't, you know the WB, can't have it it TOO comic booky..........:rolleyes:

Tycho
11-08-2003, 05:00 PM
I like the episode and I like the idea that Johnathon Kent was chosen to be Clark's father.

That was a powerful ending between father and son.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Lionnel Luthor killed his own parents, or if it was the mayor that just confessed. Did he do it to tie up any loose ends?

Probably the latter, but I see an episode coming where Lex thinks his own father killed his parents - maybe he was even being framed for it, but Lex finds out after he's gone through some kind of paranoia episode over his father (again). Not that it wouldn't make for a good show, but it's a predictable set-up.

Bad Lana on the next show? It'd be hot to see her acting all bad, but sort of out of character. They'll probably have some kind of krypto-influence on her, or she'll be rebelling against Clark's pulling away from her. We saw what her great-Uncle told her about falling deeply in love with someone when it wasn't meant to be, and I noted Lana reflecting on that by the look in her eyes.

But Clark is such an idiot if he doesn't realize that Jor-El would've wanted him to be with Lana (I guess) if he understood how he'd fallen for Louise.

Maybe, or perhaps she wouldn't have been shot (by Grandpa Luthor) if others weren't jealous of "Joe" and setting out to get rid of him. But I don't think he could have blamed himself: Louise was getting around anyway.

Tycho
11-13-2003, 06:55 AM
Tonight's episode didn't strike me that well.

1) I wished Lana was stronger than that.

2) I want to beat Clark with a meteorite rock! He's so stupid about passing up on Lana. (Looks like next week she might find out his secret - eventually the character is supposed to, but all I saw in the preview was "Clark, why didn't you tell me?" Kind of like "Obi-Wan, why didn't you tell me?"

Clark will say, "well it's because I'm different - from a certain point of view.")

Anyway, there's no way that kid would be Lana's type, I think. Though that was the point.

And I think Lex was out of character by being way too easy on Lana. I think the producers should have taken a gamble and sent Lana's character on a new direction should she have lost the coffee shop thanks to Lex being angry. Or made it a b-story for a few episodes until Clark wins Lex over to giving her a second chance.

Funny seeing Lana in a community service outfit for parole and probably having to clean the bathrooms. Not how I imagined her.

Isn't she supposed to be living with Chloe? They've stayed away from going back to their sharing a room together and what they talk about ever since the whole change-up issue with Clark (him going with Lana, then breaking it off). The girls must have talked it over. They could give us insight into what they were thinking.

I'm thinking Clark should just tell her about his powers. The biggest issue there is her getting over that his ship and arrival circumstances were part of the event that killed her parents. But I so much doubt she'd blame Clark. He was a baby and Krypton would have exploded anyway, regardless of whether Jor-El snuck a ship into the meteor shower.

Anyway, the part with Chloe playing off between the Luthors is fascinating to watch. They finally found something good to do with her.

Now if Pete has a purpose for staying on the show this season?

mrmiller
11-13-2003, 11:15 AM
This week’s episode was OK. The main storyline really didn’t do much for me, but I’m really getting into the Luthor story line. It looking like they are ready to begin Lex’s switch over to the dark side. He keeps getting more and more paranoid and maniacal with every episode. Then they throw the whole kindness to his business partner Lana curve. So I think his struggles will begin to come apparant. I imagine by the end of the season he will be a full-fledged villain. If so that will be a shame, because they will probably loose Lionel. I’d rather keep Lex as just a troubled person and Lionel as the true “evil mastermind” a bit longer.

=MATT=

JediTricks
11-13-2003, 08:45 PM
The Lex story was kinda interesting, but the main storyline was so damn hackneyed with the snowglobes using real meteor rocks and the meteor fragments getting into the kid's blood and the MRI reacting to them, then having Lana mentally magnetized. Too much for me. Plus, the human brain isn't run by magnetic impulses, otherwise MRIs would mess with people's thinking.

Tycho
11-20-2003, 02:31 AM
Tonight's wasn't that great. But like most Smallville shows that disappoint, it still managed to have a lot there I liked.

THE BAD:

The show didn't have that epic feel to it. The music was empty or not enough (classical show scores, and save for the Johnny Cash song, which was good, the program lacked other emotional music to it).

That Lana's big reason for pulling away from Clark has to do with getting kicked by a horse, seemed petty and over-reactionary. Something like being hunted for assasination, getting kidnapped (some of these things have happened to Lana) all ought to be bigger more epic reasons if they are going to make her to decide to pull away from Clark. But the evil horse didn't do it for me. Watching over Lex while he was ill wasn't Clark putting her in danger. That didn't sit right with me.

Lex's short term memory being wiped by his Dad seems to coincidental, to unwittingly protect Clark's secret (in the show's universe). If they keep it real - CLARK doesn't know that Lex won't remember, so we'll see how that effects the next show. That Lex was being drugged and Clark knows about it, will keep their friendship status quo.

I'm not sure "the big episode" changes the show at all.

Morgan Edge brings about a whole new thing, too. Is he finally dead this time? They've showed blood on the show before, but they didn't show it this time. Isn't Edge supposed to be alive and haunt Superman later in life? (comic fans chirp in here - I don't read anything but the Smallville comics).

Were they so cheap that they couldn't get the same actor to play Edge again? Why did they change actors? Did you guys like this change? If his security was so loose, why did he even bother changing his face? Lex walked in and caught them!

Was Morgan's whole death faked with Lionnel's knowledge. It certainly didn't look like it (back in that red cryptonite show).

NOW THE GOOD STUFF:

I have no idea if Lionnel was capable of killing his own parents!

He played his part so well, that I felt sympathy for him and that he loved his son, and all that b.s.

Then I hated him when we learned at the end that HE DID plan to put his own son in a psychiatric ward! That guy is EVIL!

But Lionnel's past and what makes him tick is starting to intrigue me enough that I'd like an episode or two to examine his backstory. I thought the Luthors were always rich. Remember how their house came from Scottland and Lionnel had it moved to America? (it was only stated in the episode the week before). Were the Luthors well-to-do up to a point, or about the time they came to America? Why were Lex's grandparents poor?

Where does Lionnel get his excentricity from? Where did he get that Classical education from? (if his family was poor and unsophisticated?)

He's got me really confused!

Lex should have probably shot him. I hate to say it.

And is the guy playing Pete even getting paid anymore?

Overall, the Luthor intrigue saved the show, but it still could have been executed even better. It didn't have that same old Smallville feel. New director? Bad production? Not sure what it was.

Oh, and is Morgan Edge actually dead this time?

mrmiller
11-20-2003, 11:16 AM
I thought Smallville was great this time as it was basically all about Lex. Any episode not about Lana and Clark is a good episode. I'm so sick of the Lana and Clark “should they or shouldn't they” episodes. Of course they had to throw some of that into the end of the episode just to keep the common theme of the last 50 episodes.

At first I was disappointed in not bringing back Rutger Hauer to play Edge, but later it became apparent hat it was an important part of the story to have changed the actor. Now we are left with everyone believing that Lex is nuts except Clark, and if Clark tries to help Lex he might be exposing himself. This was a nice turnaround from the previous episodes IMO.

=MATT=

scruffziller
11-20-2003, 12:30 PM
This ep for me was real disturbing in alot of ways. The emergence nature of the whole thing seemed extremely un-Smallville like and seemed to climb to a different plane close to the Superman saga.

JediTricks
11-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Ending it with Lex's short-term memory being erased seemed like a cross between soap-opera silliness and reset-button-itis. Other than that, it was an interesting episode that I really didn't get into that much.

Tycho
11-27-2003, 05:03 AM
Smallville was a re-run tonight, right?

Which episode did they air? I was showing Star Wars to a newbie, and taped Enterprise tonight.

Tycho
12-04-2003, 03:20 AM
So when's the next new episode?

Tycho
01-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Heads up! Smallville is NEW tonight.

Just letting everyone know.

Lex is going to get out of the insane asylum!

Talk about it with you later.

JediTricks
01-15-2004, 08:08 PM
I wish I had something nice to say, it turned out to be a really pedestrian episode that tried to wrap itself up in an "interesting twist" that just made it look MORE pedestrian IMO. With all these people in the asylum knowing Clark's secret, it's getting a little too much for me to care anymore - would have been a little more interesting if those guys were just cameos rather than a main driving theme of the ep I think. I hope the show gets more interesting soon, I'm starting to lose interest.

Tycho
01-20-2004, 04:59 AM
I liked the episode a lot and Mike Rosenbaum (Lex's) acting was top notch.

Dang he did a good job. A little bit of recreating Sarah Conner's escape in the assylum during Terminator 2, but it was well done.

I thought Clark's moral delemma about saving Lex was also well played and thought-provoking.

I still wonder if Clark ought to tell his deep-fried friend that his father is an *** and did that to him, but like he said, what would be the point now?

The pain in the Clark - Lana separation was deeply felt, too. Nice touch added by Mrs. Kent.

Pete actually did some great acting in his rant about how difficult it is to keep Clark's secret. If they give him another episode on that theme, it couldn't hurt.

Anyway, I enjoyed this week's.

Tycho
01-29-2004, 04:44 AM
I will carry on the tradition of almost talking to myself about the new Smallville episodes.

Tonight's was weird. It was a bit dark. A bit of a teen-horror-thriller ripoff (like I Know What You Did Last Smallville). And it served only as a filler story to establish a way for Lex to regain his 7 past weeks' memory back.

The e-mail/phone virus that turns people into zombie serial killers was very far-fetched, as was the mileage our Smallville friends seem to make on round trips from Metropolis.

Molly was hot. They introduced her well at the beginning of the episode, and then wasted her character pointlessly.

There should have been a deeper sexual dynamic with her and the doctor using her. I must have imagined it, because if it was suggested, it was way too subtle to thicken the story.

They did wisely avoid Lex finding another psycho-girlfriend out to get him though.

The girls' locker-room invasion, shower fight, etc. was getting straight into teen-horror-flick-ripoff-time. I'm not sure what Nightmare in Summertime did that scene before, but I'm sure it was done before (and it went bye so quick I hardly had time to enjoy it anyway).

What the heck was Adam doing in the girls' locker room anyway? How did he know where to find Lana. OK - guess you could follow all the commotion.

Oh - and by the way: Lana would be EXPELLED from high school for trying to kill another girl with a fire axe. I would have taken the story that way anyway. Then Lana could meet more psychos of the season like Adam, while in Smallville's reform school.

I hope the producers and cast and all had fun with the horror-flick romp. Clark trying to run over Chloe was an omage to "Carrie."

In any case, did that Doctor ever appear on Smallville before? They made him familiar with Clark - oh yeah - I guess with the little brother Ryan stories... I think that's what he was alluding to. Because surely the Doctor would have heard about Lex's bout with brain trauma. And it's coming together - he wasn't involved in that part.

Anyway on to ADAM:

That guy gives me the creeps. And Lana is going to let him live above her coffee shop? She knows nothing about this guy, he's alone, orphaned (his parents killed under dubious circumstances), and so he's got an inheritance or he's on welfare, or what? How old is he? Is he a 20-something into teenage high school girls? Lana's what? 16 now I guess?

They were freshmen in Season 1: age 14-15
Sophomores in Season 2: 15-16.

So we're in Season 3: and she's gotta be 16-17 now.

Anyway, they're doing the same thing with the almost-kissing sexual tension that they did with Clark and Lana last season, only now it's Adam.

And what's up with the look Chloe gave Clark at the end of the episode? They're starting that again?

Oh - she did give the name Lois Lane - remember that? I wondered for a moment, IS Chloe going to turn out to be Lois Lane? Everything I heard before said that Lois does exist and has never been seen on the show before. She is Chloe's cousin. So perhaps because Chloe makes the "pen name" Lois Lane famous, her cousin will come in and steal a job at the Daily Planet, in true ruthless reporter form (as she was always written).

I still think that Chloe will have to die at some point on Smallville, as she is not in Superman's life later. Then Lois inherits her legacy?

I don't know. There are still some good possibilities.

But the writers kind of fumbled the show tonight. I usually sing high praises for Smallville, but tonight was a strange experience to be sure.

-Tycho

mrmiller
01-30-2004, 06:36 AM
You're not talking to yourself, I'm listening just not replying. I agree to most everything. Smallville seems to just be gettgin a bit flat lately. I don't know why, because they keep trying to throw in that "twist" or "hook" but it just hasn't done anything for me lately. The show hasn't gone bad or really downhill, it just hasn't really progressed either.

=MATT=

Tycho
02-05-2004, 02:15 AM
Tonight was a great episode, but it could have ended on the worst possible downer!

I know in the Superman legend that Jonathon Kent dies at some point, leaving Clark to send home the money he earns at the Daily Planet to his Mom, but tonight?

Do you think Jonathon's really dead? He has been such as asset to the show! This is so unexpected!

I hope it's not true. Maybe it was a heart attack or a stroke. He's been acting kind of like his health's been getting worse in several shows. But dead? So suddenly?

That was not predicted. What a shocker, too!

Please tell me it isn't true.

JediTricks
02-05-2004, 09:59 PM
I was surprised to see the Superman cape, that seemed like something they didn't need to do in the kid's vision (especially since he doesn't mention it to Clark).

As for Superman lore, there are versions where Pa dies, where Ma and Pa die at the same time, where Ma dies soon after Pa, and where neither die. It seems like in this Smallville version, Pa Kent gave up some of his life energy to the spirit of Jor-El in order to save Clark from his red-kryptonite-induced alternate life in Metropolis. I saw this coming a mile off, but I don't think the show can work with Jonathan dead or incapacitated, he's a core element to the series and to Clark's life, since Clark isn't done growing up, Jonathan's job isn't done.

JediTricks
02-12-2004, 05:13 PM
What a "surprise", Pa is back in the house and on his feet by the middle of this rather flat episode. This was the first ep in a long time that I liked less than that night's Enterprise. Those cars didn't seem to have much speed, and the "kryptonite-nitro" was possibly the stupidest CPD (contrived plot device) of the whole series... and THAT is really saying something.

Bosskman
02-13-2004, 12:50 PM
I thought that the last few episodes I've seen were some of the best ever. (I think Canada is a week behind the states) The Chloe killing episode was, I thought, one of my favorites ever, albeit very "unrealistic" but this is a show about a guy with superpowers afterall. That Adam guy is definately weird but I don't yet know if he's good or bad. It gave me the creeps then that guy said he was dead before though. Didn't see that one coming. BTW Am I the only one who can't wait to see tha %^$#& of a sherrif get what's coming to her. She's such a snotty nosebag. When it happens it's gonna be sweet.

JetsAndHeels
02-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Hey if anyone is interested I have a card set from Season 1 available for trade. It is the basic set (no inserts) and I have an extra if anyone wants it.
I will post it in the trading forum too but just thought I would let you guys know in case anyone wants it. Thanks.
email me if youre interested
stevenmccr@hotmail.com

Tycho
02-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Last night's Smallville was great! One of the best episodes in a while!

My thoughts:

1) Clark should have gone for the girl!

2) If you like the girl already, and she goes all too fast and gets too obsessive, set a time frame (like so many months you'll tolerate it) and then roll with it. Chances are she'll mellow out and you'll wind up with a normal-intensity relationship. Don't ever deter a girl you already like, if she suddenly becomes way too interested in you. The most scared (of committment) I've ever been were on several occasions when girls I thought I'd dated casually, tried to suddenly move in with me. Looking back, at least on one or two occasions, that actually might've worked out and we'd still be together today if I hadn't pushed them away. Clark should have just let her chill down on her own. Think about how much fun they could both have with their powers and stuff!

Anyway, Clark should have known how delicate the girl's feelings would be if she were discovered, and then found someone she could share herself with.
He could have been her confident and counselor, boyfriend, and all.

I mean she wouldn't have done what she did to her father, if given time, Clark had handled her delicate emotions right.

Anyway, hot chick! Nice job casting. I especially liked you-know-what-scene.

And I finally saw a choice close to being comparable to Lana...

anyway....

3) Lionnel bringing people back to life with Clark's blood? That explains Adam, but how did Lionnel know? Does Lex actually know?

What would Lionnel and Lex actually do if they knew everything about Clark. I doubt they'd want to destroy him, but:

a) exploit Clark's love for his family and need for privacy to get him to do criminal things for the Luthors? (blackmail Clark, in other words).

- in light of his friendship with Lex, would that be so bad? Lionnel doesn't want to get caught in any of his shady deals anyway, so why implicate Clark who could spill the beans on him.

b) use Clark's meteor-rock sickness against him to control him? Is that why Lionnel had all that purified meteor rock? Does he know? Does Lex?

c) try to use Clark to get his blood to sell anti-death agent, providing immortality at an exhorbinant price? (or for medical applications)?

All of this sounds none-too-pleasant for Clark, but survivable.

It is immoral and goes against everything Johnathon Kent is trying to teach his son, though.

4) So what will become of Adam and this girl? More enemies of Clark's to be put in that insane asylum? Did throwing lead on her stop her powers temporarily or permanently?

JediTricks
02-19-2004, 10:08 PM
That was the worst-looking prop knife ever, the one the freak o' the week was threatening Lana with, they should be ashamed of that.

The rest of the ep was very manipulative I felt, writing the girl as mega-needy simply didn't come from anywhere and I never was able to get into it because of that. The ending didn't make sense to me, how are they going to keep her in lead paint forever?

JetsAndHeels
02-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Just found out tonight that Season 2 will be released on dvd this May. Not sure what exact day, but definately this May. The setup will be the same as the Season 1 set, with 5 discs of episodes and one other with bonus features.

scruffziller
03-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Man........what a jaw dropper.:eek:
I am not sure how to feel about Lionel but I am feeling lots of sympathy for him right now.(that's if we see him next month);) But I am sure those feelings will be reveal to be a bit hasty.

Tycho
03-04-2004, 02:16 PM
It's human and decent of you to feel sympathy for Lionnel, though we know he'd hardly show it to anyone else if his role was reversed.

But what about Lex? He had moral objections to what was going on in the lab, and his initial feelings about his father's doings were right on. But then he asked to be put in charge of the project??? What was up with that?

And then his father scape-goated him!

Bet you Lionnel uses the syrum from Clark's blood on himself. It'll make him extremely dangerous in comparison to Adam.

Then if he's realizing he's doomed anyway, he can take the fall in one last kind gesture to his son, letting Lex off the hook to inherit Luthorcorp.

I think the end of this season will have major reprocussions (possibly). If it doesn't, then at least we'll know exactly what they'll be dragging out.

In any case, the show is maintaining the level of quality I've come to expect from it!

scruffziller
04-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Well noone has chimed in here since the restart. I should say that the Luthors are getting more interesting all the time. But it seems they keep veering to where everyone should know Clark's secret now but somehow it doesn't get known in somewhat of a cheesy way where it makes me think, Oh there is no way his secret is safe now. And then the people conveniently dying so it becomes predictible. But I still find the Luthors becoming very intersesting.

Tycho
04-29-2004, 02:10 PM
The Luthors are always interesting.

Really cool twist on what happened with Julian and Lex's involvement in it. Wow!

I was touched by Clark remembering his mom, and a great scene with Clark and Martha at the end, always parralled with Lionnel and his son and their issues.

Smallville has stayed consistantly interesting and entertaining. However, I suspect that great changes on the show will start to have to happen to move the story along. Everything's in place...

JediTricks
04-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Good ep, lots of solid acting, minimal "wall of weird" mess, but Kryptonite usage was kinda obvious. I'm still kinda annoyed with how Chloe got the truth out of Lionel but then just fritters it away and even tells him exactly how to destroy her proof, and doesn't even go tell anybody (especially when she was such a jerky blabbermouth that whole ep), but that was last week's ep.

mrmiller
05-02-2004, 02:25 PM
I'm actully getting tired of the show. I still like it, but ceritan aspects are starting to wear on me. Like how convenient everything is. Then one where Chloe can get the truh out of everyone, and her and the guy trying to push her off the bridge just happen to get knocked out right as Clark arrives. How every problem is solved with Clarks super speed, and everything revolves around the Kryptonite. Tghe constant- oops, they almost found out my secret. And especialy the Clark and Lana stuff. It just seems to be the same thing from week to week in a new package with about 5 minuites of new and interesting stuff to move the story forward ever so slowly. I'm just ready for him to get on with fighting crime. No more freak of the week crap, real bad guys. The only thing saving the show is the Luthors who are great in every episode.

my 2 cents.

=MATT=

JediTricks
05-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Matt, your complaints sound like a lot of what I said around the 3rd or 4th episode of season 1... yet here I am near the tail end of season 3 still watching.

mrmiller
05-04-2004, 10:30 PM
Matt, your complaints sound like a lot of what I said around the 3rd or 4th episode of season 1... yet here I am near the tail end of season 3 still watching.

Yea, we are suckers huh? I'll gripe all the way until next weeks episode.

=MATT=

JediTricks
05-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Yeah, suckers for sure, but I'm more of a sucker for still watching The Simpsons. ;) Tonight's ep looks kinda weak IMO, another freak of the week who gets powers similar to Clark's, but at least this freak integrates the cave into his issue.

JediTricks
05-07-2004, 10:12 PM
You know, if the writers had the courage to have the Naman-wannabe kid end up dying from his impact with Clark, I would have ended up liking this episode, but instead he's just another Smallville coma victim.

mrmiller
05-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Yea, this episode was supprisingling better then the last few. I liked this one with the exception to the all too easy ending- c'mon, it's getting old already.

=MATT=

JediTricks
05-13-2004, 12:10 AM
You know, considering how many pieces of tonight's episode went thin, I was surprised at how entertaining it was. They did a pretty good job of wrapping up a lot of big plot threads from throughout the season, not closing those stories off but getting them ready for next week's (almost certainly a cliffhanger) season finale. Having Lex finally get Lionel really washed away how cheap it was to once again have Clark not tell his secret, and having the freak-o-the-week just resolve and disappear with such less effort than usual also just fell to the wayside as actual stuff was *gasp* happening in other parts of the story.

Tycho
05-13-2004, 02:11 AM
Tonight was ok, but I think Smallville is moving to more "plateau."

The show will have to take some drastic, brave new steps to keep it really interesting.

Lex having Lionnel arrested was one such step, but it was sort of a b-story sidestep in the episode.

The show has been more intelligent before - why didn't Lana ask Clark "how did he find her? How did he rescue her?"

It kept me hooked (I taped it and stayed on the couch to fast-forward through commercials).

But I wasn't satisfied because I thought Clark should've told Lana and disclosed what happened to Pete because of knowing his secret as the reason he never told her.

But it's illogical to think the FBI agent wouldn't have done the same thing to Lana because she's Clark's ex-girlfriend and everyone knows it. So regardless of Lana not knowing anything, she wasn't really safe, was she? Clark should think about that.

Anyway, I'm sorry I missed Enterprise tonight because I had to tape Smallville. Fortunately, I can catch Star Trek's new episode on Sunday.

Tycho
05-20-2004, 03:46 AM
MAJOR SPOILERS!

Chloe dead? There's no way she'd survived that!

Lex, poisoned? How? How did Lionnel know Lex would drink that?

Is "Superman's enemy" Lex Luthor, not really Lex, but Lionnel Luthor posing as his own son to escape prison (saying the real Lionnel was killed in jail?)

Lana gone? (there goes half the reason I watch the show!)

Pete's gone too.

Johnathon Kent doesn't seem to be dead. But that could go either way.

But here's Clark, lonely, and when a naked girl from Krypton comes knocking at his window, everything has to go wrong...

I hope my life won't fall apart when my prayers are finally answered and a ....

well, you can fill in the blanks.

But what's going on in Smallville?

Geeze I hate having to wait all summer after a season cliffhanger like that!

Droid
05-20-2004, 11:00 AM
I am frustrated with Smallville's season finales because they are so large in scope that I think, "Well this HAS to change everything" then the next season within a few episodes wer're back to Clark back to school facing the Freak of the Week.

My predictions:

Chloe is alive, but near death. Her dad is dead. (Which I think is so stupid. Chole would be dead, dead, dead.) Lex will move her into the mansion for her recovery.

Lex will survive the poisoning. (He has to.) It could be it was a weak poison that Lionel used just as a message to show Lex he could still get to him from prison. Then again, maybe Lex's security will save him.

But will Pete come back or have they written him off? He was rarely used so maybe he has left the show. I think the writers had him find out Clark's secret to make him more useful, but even then he was hardly on. But what about the Chloe-Pete relationship they started in the episode where everyone had to tell Chloe the truth? Perhaps Pete will come back when he hears Chloe was hurt.

I think Lex's father will become more of a mad scientist superhero villain then the evil businessman and the cast will more regularly fight him next season. He will probably escape from prison.

Lana will come back, perhaps to live in the mansion and help take care of Chloe. Maybe they will nurture the Lex-Lana icky relationship to make Clark and Lex grow farther apart. Maybe their ultimate rift is over Lana.

I am so glad they dumped Kara/Supergirl. I would have been wicked upset if there was another Kryptonian surivivor. I have never taken with that interpretation of Supregirl.

Jonathon is alive. He and Martha will spend the summer mourning Clark and wondering if he will ever come back. They will tell those who ask that either a) they sent him away to hide him from Lex's father given what happen to Chloe or b) pretend that Lex's father may have made him disappear.

The fire in the cornfields was probably just an indication that Clark had left.

So is Jor-El really this evil? Is he really Zod? Would he really have such contempt for the people who cared for his son? Does anyone else think it is stupid that Jor-El's spirit lives in cave walls?

And finally, I think Clark will come back at the end of the summer, (just in time to start school again!) reprogrammed by Jor-El and ready to take over the planet. Perhaps he will have more powers, superbreath, flight? (I doubt it). Hopefully, he won't have the power Kara did to disintegrate things. Superman can't do that. Anyway, Clark will be reminded of his humanity by hsi parents and reject what Jor-El "taught" him during his summer in the cave walls. However, he will probably have more knowledge of Krypton. Perhaps we will get a few good scenes of Clark seeing Krypton, Jor-El, Lara, but I doubt it.

And what is the purpose of having a Fortress of Solitude if we have these caves? Will they have the Fortress be in Smallville rather than the North Pole?

Anyways, that's all for now.

scruffziller
05-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Good rant there Droid.:D Priceless to say the least. I forsee you becoming another Jar Jar Binks(a pinacle forumite on this board if you don't know him already).

Is "Superman's enemy" Lex Luthor, not really Lex, but Lionnel Luthor posing as his own son to escape prison (saying the real Lionnel was killed in jail?)

Huh!!:eek: Is that what I think your saying.
Killing Lex and then Lionnel's spirit beeming into Lex's body? He will come back Lionnel reborn.:crazed:

Tycho
05-20-2004, 03:27 PM
No. I was saying Lex is dead. But his father will escape from prison and use his name.

It would be an extremely bold step to take for the show. Too bold.

Besides, that would mean Michael Rosenbaum would be out of a job and he's one of the primary stars of the show that people repeatedly tune in to watch every week. (he's a great actor. So is John Glover (Lionnel), but I doubt the WB, a young-viewers' channel, would trade up Michael for John Glover taking the primary role).

Unfortunately, there are 3 possibilities in general:

1) the show can go back to status quo and nothing got shook up by this season's cliffhanger.

2) the show can get ridiculously into "fantasy" and lose all its good, scientific-sort-of-based explanations for everything that made this show seem more real than earlier, low-tech styles for Superman

3) the show will pull through and maintain being worth watching like it always has been.

Right now the biggest cliffhanger to the plot of Smallville is whether the writers and producers will retain good taste and creative balance.

Droid
05-20-2004, 05:21 PM
I really don't think Lex's father could pose as Lex by shaving his head!

Tycho
05-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Identity theft. Happens all the time.

Lionnel might need some cosmetic surgery to finish off everything if he wants to take it that far, but I don't think he could if he wanted to.

Lionnel's liver (right?) is going to kill him, and there's no treatment for his disease. So he could die looking as young as his son with Lex's credit cards and bank accounts (his dad would know his social security ID and everything etc.) but he couldn't stay alive.

But then it's a TV show. They could have Lionnel succeed in his crazy plan, steal Lex's identity, and get his face lift, and then Mike Rosenbaum could play Lionnel Luthor posing as Lex Luthor and it'd really drive us crazy.

I doubt all that will happen. But a temporary identity theft of Lex's accounts? Sure. Why not?

JediTricks
05-21-2004, 04:15 AM
Droid, I don't see how Chloe could survive catching a fireball like that in the face, but I also don't see how Lionel thinks he will get away with Chloe's ridiculously over-the-top murder AND Lex's poisoning at the same time, it'd more likely just get him thrown deeper into prison.

I think this Jor-El is real and he's just pushing Clark to become the super man that he is destined to be. Perhaps Clark is misinterpretting Jor-El's statement that the boy was sent to conquer them, maybe the word "conquer" is not the actual concept being stated. I've heard theories that it's really Zod, or possibly even Braniac - both are possible, but I don't dig either from this show standpoint.

I too think it's lame that Jor-El's essence lives in these cave walls and has an ancient relationship with local Tribal Americans, but it does sorta get the Fortress of Solitude/Kryptonian knowledgebase thing off the ground.

Hopefully, he won't have the power Kara did to disintegrate things. Superman can't do that.Actually, I think Supes could pull that off, simply vibrate the molecules of the victim so fast and then since they're not super-powered, they fly apart instead of stay cohesive.

My bet is that when Clark is "reborn", the writers will simply hit the reset button, rebooting a bunch of the show's main plots and plot devices. It'll feel cheap and crappy, but will actually be within the Pre-Crisis comic style.

Droid
05-21-2004, 10:39 AM
As I said, I don't think Chloe should survive. I just think she will. Like I also said, no matter what happens on this show, everything gets back to normal. I sitll can't believe how well Martha and Jonathon took Clark accidentally killing their baby. I also don't think Lex's father is trying to get away with Lex and Chloe's murders. I think he is going to escape from prison and just wreck havoc until his liver gets him.

I think it is Jor-El (rather than Zod or Brainiac) too, but I prefer the Marlon Brandon version of Jor-El, who sent his son to Earth both to save his son, but also to save Earth. Why would this evil, calculating Jor-El let himself and his wife die on Krypton? And if they can use the cave walls to travel to and from Krypton as revealed in the really, really lame flashback episode where Jor-El visited Earth (and surprise, looks just like Clark!), then why build Clark a ship. Why didn't the whole El clan just jump through the walls and save themselves?

And speaking of the flashback episode, if Clark knows everything that happened through Jor-El's "diary" then why doesn't he realize he'll be able to fly? And does Jor-El's contempt for the Kents really match up with his attitude towards them in the flashback episode? Aren't we supposed to think he deliberately sent Clark to the Kents?

I know Superman could shake something apart, but the way they showed it, Kara was shooting heat from her hands without moving her hands at all. Maybe the effect was poorly executed, but to vibrate the molecules as suggested I think Superman's hands would have to move so fast we couldn't see them, and we could see Kara's hands in the episode. They were flat and motionless on the hood of the car. But anyway, she wasn't a real Kryptonian so perhaps the point is moot.

Also, if different Kryptonians came to Earth would they have different abilities or all the same abilities?

I wonder if after next year when Clark graduates (and given the way things work on TV he'll probably be valedictorian so he can give a speech) if they will do more seasons in Smallville. Will they end the show after four years? Will Clark go to college or to Metropolis? Will they put off or forego the Fortress of Solitude training years?

Hellboy
05-24-2004, 06:30 PM
I haven't commented to much in this thread because I'm usually 2 or 3 episodes behind but I watched the season finale the other night and it was alright I suppose. :neutral: I've never liked the whole cave premise or the Clark loves Lana but can't share his true feelings because of his secret storyline thats been played to death. I guess I expected some sort of revelation or extreme change to set up next season, but that didn't really happen. I'll admit though the Lionel thing at the end was kinda cool.

Hopefully Chloe is dead because her character has become incredibly annoying and as far as I'm concerned Pete and Lana can stay gone too. I think the show really needs to drop the whole Kryptonite X-Files type shows if it wants to move forward. If Clark was to move to Metropolis it would open a whole new dimension to the show but then it wouldn't be Smallville would it? To me the only really interesting plotlines this season have involved the Lionel/Lex relationship.

Overall I think this show needs a serious shake up. I know the producers said when the show first started "no flights and no tights" but how long can they really drag this coming of age thing out? I mean C'mon Tom Welling is almost 30 yrs. old and I think we all want to see more of what he will become and less of the same old Dawson Creek type melodrama. If the same formula is used next season I may drop off, but then again thats what I said after last season too. :rolleyes:

Tycho
07-14-2004, 03:51 AM
Anybody else enjoying the 2nd season DVD?

The blooper real and Chloe's Chronicles were great!

It brought a tear to my eye on the Christopher Reeve feature.

I also like listening to the commentary on the episodes they offer it.

Sucks that Smallville's main event at ComicCon this year will be at 1pm on Saturday.

They always do that: Star Wars will be from 12-2 across the entire convention center. There's no way to attend both of them.

I ditched SW in favor of Smallville in 2002, because at Celebration 2 I'd seen everything Lucasfilm planned to feature.

This year, with no SW Celebration, I think I have to do my duty as a Jedi and I may unfortunately miss my chance to ever meet Kristin Kruek or see Michael Rosenbaum, Tom Welling, or John Schneider in person. Do you think they'll be there? What about John Glover? They had Pete and Chloe last year (and now Chloe might be dead as of the Season Finale!)

I so wished I could go there and see what's going on, but Star Wars will have:

Episode 3
Clone Wars Season 3
OT on DVD
Star Wars on TV

How could I miss these things when I'll find out if Chloe lives or dies in September anyway - and SW has so much more on the horizon.

In 2005 I'll be going to Indianapolis and Comic Con 2005 will happen AFTER I've seen Episode 3, so I could ditch SW and go to Smallville that year...but what if they show scenes or casting from the SW TV series???

Help me! What am I to do?

mrmiller
07-14-2004, 01:27 PM
You'll love this then:

Lois Lane lives!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=84&e=1&u=/pagesix/20040714/en_pagesix/loislanelives

=MATT=

Tycho
07-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks! I might take some heat for this (if people consider Smallville spoilers terrible) but I'll post a picture of the new Lois Lane! She is cute and quite an opposite enough look to Lana's countrygirl that it works. Still I prefer Lana, but here's Erica Durance -nicely cast!

Next in the news...who's coming back and who's not?

Pete's gone. He'll recurr.

Chloe's dead - but not actually. She's in a witness protection program to testify against Lionnel Luthor. Most of the cast believe she is dead.

Their bringing the modern Superman cast out of this bunch had better mean they will use this cast for movies. It is WB's No. 1 product - written by the guys who handle the Spiderman movie success this summer. Why fix something that isn't broken? NO SUPERMAN MOVIE W/O TOM WELLING!

Tycho
08-10-2004, 03:23 AM
So what is the exact date and time for Season 4 to begin?

Do we want to start a new thread for Season 4? We've done that for each past season now.

I don't care either way, so long as the group sticks together and discusses any particular hot episodes of Smallville!