PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Collector’s Series Snowspeeder

Sweden
09-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Well, it seems like we’re in for yet another (surprise) release this year with the “Ultimate Collector Series” Snowspeeder according to sources over at the “From Bricks to Bothans” forum but it’s still to be confirmed by Mr. Tim Saupé and pictures are also yet to be seen.

A last minute note: After completion of this article it’s now made official by Mr. Tim Saupé.

With this in mind I’d also like to share a few thoughts and facts about the Star Wars line that might be “old news” to some but totally unknown to others but still it makes a topic for a real good debate and some really interesting speculations about the future of this awesome line.

Over the years that have past ever since The LEGO Group in 1999 purchased the license to make the Star Wars line we’ve been teased with pictures of so called “prototype models” or “made just for fun models” not to be released to the public but what’s the truth behind this?

I don’t have the links to every picture of the bellow mentioned models that The LEGO Group have released so far but take my word for it when I say that I find it hard to believe that these
Models just would be “prototype models” or “made just for fun models” and I’ll explain why.

Here’s a list of what The LEGO Group has shown us so far as well as comments on them.

Ultimate Collector’s Series:

Aldar Beedo’s Podracer

Judging from some of the larger parts on this model this definitely has to be a “USC” model of a Podracer whatever the supposed scale might be (not 1:28) and the way it’s built makes it look just like a final product that’s about to be released to the public on the official market.

I truly hope to see this awesome Podracer released before the license finally expires in 2007.

Picture found in “LEGO Adventures! Magazine” Issue: Unknown.

Darth Vader’s T.I.E. Fighter

The rather large and clear cockpit piece with the frame printed on it and that also can be found on the T.I.E. Interceptor reveals that this is truly a 1:28 scale “USC” model and just like Aldar Beedo’s Podracer it look just like a final product that’s about to be released to the public.

Being made in light gray color with black solar panels it’s a slightly different take on the craft then the one “Guybrush” has in his gallery over at the “From Bricks to Bothans” website and I actually like the LEGO version better and I truly hope that it’ll be released in the near future.

Snowspeeder

Judging from the large size and counting the “studs” this definitely has to be a “UCS” version of the Snowspeeder and there’s an ongoing debate over at the “From Bricks to Bothans” forum on whether this is the actual version we’ll see being released or not but I truly hope so.

Looks just like a final product that’s about to be released to the public on the official market.

http://home.nc.rr.com/pageofg/lego/ysnow.jpg

Picture found in “LEGO Magazine” Issue: May/June 2002 on page 6.

Speeder Bike

This is truly an totally amazing model of the Speeder Bike that almost could pass as a “real” model kit and this is truly a “USC” model (not 1:28 scale) judging from its size and just like the T.I.E. Fighter it look just like a final product that’s about to be released to the public.

Being made with bricks, plates and “Technic” pieces etc it’s a “totally” different take on the vehicle then the one “Guybrush” has in his gallery over at the “From Bricks to Bothans” website as his is made to scale (1:28) with the X-Wing Fighter and the T.I.E. Interceptor etc.

In my very own and humble opinion the large (scale unknown) version of the Speeder Bike that the LEGO designers has made is far superior to the 1:28 scale one “Guybrush” did and I truly like the LEGO version much better and I hope that it’ll be released in the near future.

Mini Figure Scale:

Jawa Sandcrawler

This is a “Mini Figure” scale vehicle that there’s been some debate over and if it’s going or could be released at this size but if one take a real close look at it one can clearly see that it’s not that bloody huge but however a set in the Imperial AT-AT price range and size or scale.

On the 2nd picture of the “Jawa Sandcrawler” I’ve seen the forward loading ramp was lowered and a mini figure R2-D2 was placed on it and one could clearly see that the vehicle weren’t that big at all but more in the size and scale of the AT-AT body just slightly wider and taller.

The awesome “Jawa Sandcrawler” is also built in a way that actually makes it look just like a final product that’s about to be released to the public on the official market and just like the MTT it contain pieces in odd colors so I strongly believe that this set will see the light of day.

However, it’ll probably be a $100.00 set but I’d buy it without hesitating one little bit. Yeah.

1st picture found in “LEGO Adventures! Magazine” Issue: Unknown.
2nd picture found in “LEGO Magazine” Issue: Unknown.

Y-Wing Fighter

A whole lot of people on the Internet has called this one a “USC” model but ever since I saw the first picture (the same one as the one bellow but not as scaled up) I’ve believed this one to be a super detailed “Mini Figure” version and I truly believe that I’m “right” about this one.

Why you people ask?

Well, just barely visible in the first picture I saw of this Y-Wing Fighter but much clearer on the one bellow is the “Mini Figure” sitting in the cockpit that gives it away as a “Mini Figure”
scale version and even if it looks “UCS” because of the details it’s actually not that big at all.

What also gives it away as a “Mini Figure” scale version is its size especially if one count the “Studs” on the cockpit and engines and just like the original filming miniatures used on film the details give the illusion of vehicles and spaceship being much larger then they truly are.

I’ll have to admit that I find this version of the Y-Wing Fighter to be an true work of art as it really shows what actually can be made and how detailed even a mini figure scale version of a Starfighter can be and this is what The LEGO Group should have released in the first place.

As the “Mini Figure” scale sets of vehicles and spaceships are being made for and aimed at children and younger teenagers in the first place this would of course have been difficult if not impossible due to the fact that it’d probably be a $90.00 set way to expensive for children.

Still I truly hope that it’ll be released as a “Special Edition” model just like the “so called” Special Edition Naboo Fighter as it looks just like a final product that’s about to be released to the public on the official market but then again who knows what The LEGO Group will do.

http://home.nc.rr.com/pageofg/lego/ysnow.jpg

Picture found in “LEGO Magazine” Issue: May/June 2002 on page 6.

Also seen in some of the above mentioned scans so called “protype models” are being shown off but they’re nothing like the other models I’ve described and commented on here but rather real prototype models and not products that looks ready to be released to the official market.

That’s why I came to the conclusion that the above mentioned spaceships and vehicles “must” be products put on hold awaiting to be released some time in the future as they look way to perfect just to be “prototype models” or “made just for fun models” but I could be wrong or?

There’s one thing I find really strange though…

Over at Mr. Tim Saupé’s “From Bricks to Bothans” website there’s a section in the forums called “Ask LEGO” (totally useless however as LEGO doesn’t answer relevant questions) but as far as I know “NO ONE” has ever asked about the above mentioned spaceships & vehicles.

Why not is anybody’s guess as I’m totally clueless myself…

I mean The LEGO Group has showed them off to us so why not tell us the fate of them?

Anyway I’m looking forward to the release of the “Ultimate Collector’s Series” Snowspeeder.

Kindest regards,

Lars “Sweden” Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.