PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on SW Lego at Wal-Mart

bobafrett
09-11-2003, 11:28 PM
I got a real sweet deal on the Lego Jango Fett Slave I with the black bonus case. They had it on clearance at the Wal-Mart in Northlake Illinois. I picked it up for $13! I also bought the Lego Jedi Star fighter for $5. I already had the Jango slave I, but I wanted the case because it has "Star Wars" on it. I can ship the Slave I to my son, as well as the Jedi Star fighter! (or I can keep them, and use them for parts, :evil: )

Battle Droid
09-12-2003, 12:56 PM
Mine (Beckley, West Virginia) has Bounty Hunter Pursuit for $5.00 .

Dr Zoltar
09-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Dang, I'm going to hold off getting these then. The Wal-Mart near me has these on clearance, but still for around $20 each. I'm hoping they put Jabba's Palace on clearance sometime soon as well.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Mine (Beckley, West Virginia) has Bounty Hunter Pursuit for $5.00 .

Another reason why I despise inconsistent WM clearances. Mine still has the BHP for $18. However I did get the Starfighter for $2 at Target so clearances aren't all bad. :happy:

Battle Droid
10-01-2003, 08:31 PM
Today at the same Wal-Mart I found,

Bounty Hunter Pursuit: $1.00
Jedi Starfighter $1.00 (Got 2)
Jabba's Message: $1.00
Jango Fett's Slave I: $3.00
Ewok Attack: $1.00

LTBasker
10-01-2003, 09:43 PM
A buck?! I still need BHP :eek: I'll have to chech out WM soon, but last I checked they didn't have 2002 sets anymore.

Battle Droid
01-06-2004, 02:45 PM
New finds,

Jabba's Palace $21.00
Hailfire Droid $35.00
T-16 Skyhopper $11.00
Cloud Car $1.00 (they only had one)

Ric Olie
01-09-2004, 02:31 PM
The last Lego set I bought was the Cloud Car which was marked down to 4 for a $1.00!. They only had one so it only cost me 25 cents.

That same Walmart has tons of the latest wave of mini sets on a large display. The display also has about 10 Dagobah X-Wings. I don't think they have sold any of the Legos in the last 2 weeks. Since it's a big display that's taken up a bit of room that they will really mark them down so I can buy them.

Who else only buys Legos if they're marked down?

Mandalorian Candidat
01-09-2004, 03:50 PM
I'll get the MINIs at regular price, mostly, but for the larget sets I always wait until either a great sale or clearance time. The price is way too high for me otherwise.

bobafrett
01-10-2004, 12:53 AM
I've bought a majority of my SW Lego sets at full price. The UCS X-Wing and TIE interceptor I picked up on clearance though. Also a lot of the Episode I sets since I really was unhappy with the movie, and didn't care for a lot of the sets from that line. In fact, some of my EP I sets have yet to be assembled. I did pick up a lot of the Jedi Dual sets to build my Stormtrooper armies from KB discounted to 3 for $10.

JediTricks
01-10-2004, 06:23 AM
I picked up a $5 Jedi Starfighter at WM tonight, I keep forgetting how little I like that set though. My plan was originally to fix up the one I already have, but this set just doesn't cut it for much in the way of upgrades, so I'm gonna toss it in the parts case where it will do the most good.

I don't condone waiting for clearance prices on all Lego - if we don't buy the stuff we want at regular price or at best a non-clearance sale price, then Lego doesn't make money and won't have reason to release more product. After the bath they took last year ('03), they need all the help they can get in this department too. I think they need to cut NBA and NHL loose, these are licensed junk that never sell in my area at all and are too specialized to make for good general parts.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-12-2004, 06:16 PM
I don't condone waiting for clearance prices on all Lego - if we don't buy the stuff we want at regular price or at best a non-clearance sale price, then Lego doesn't make money and won't have reason to release more product. After the bath they took last year ('03), they need all the help they can get in this department too. I think they need to cut NBA and NHL loose, these are licensed junk that never sell in my area at all and are too specialized to make for good general parts.

I disagree. It sends the message to Lego that the sets are priced higher than the general public wants to pay. Pure supply and demand. Anyways it's the stores that ultimately clearance off the stuff, so if they're sick of lowering the prices for shelf-warmers then they can get on the wagon too and maybe Lego will finally come around.

I'm surprised Lego's stuck with the sports theme especially after that excreble soccer system. It may sell in Europe, but in the US? Come on and get your heads out, Lego marketers! With all the nonselling sports systems Lego has turned into McDonalds. They used to be famous for their burgers but now they offer just about any type of food under the sun. The goofy gimmicky sports sets just makes Lego look like they're trying to enter the foosball market or something.

JediTricks
01-12-2004, 08:12 PM
IIRC, the Soccer sets actually did pretty well in the US and even better overseas, but that didn't require licensing and is a very popular and under-recognized worldwide sport (not that I see why personally, but I do have a small soccer set so make of that what you will ;)). There aren't a lot of soccer toys on the market and that probably helps keep it alive whereas basketball has a few toys and McFarlane wants us to buy more hockey toys. ;)

The cost issue is an interesting factor, it's not simple supply and demand. Lego generally charges X-amount per piece in sets, the larger the set, the cheaper the price usually, but it's around 8 to 15 cents per piece on average (pieces like canopies and other exotic pieces cost more while standard 2x1 plates cost a little less) - what goes into those costs are things like ultra-high-tolerance piece designs, consistant material quality and color, and a combination of packaging and set design. When you get companies like Mega-bloks, Hasbro, Toy Biz and others ripping off Lego's interlocking brick design, getting away with it, and then offering lower prices for their sets by making severely inferior bricks that have flaws and inconsistancies and lesser-quality designs, it makes Lego look bad in the public's eyes because people say "why doesn't Lego charge less like Mega-bloks?" even though those Mega-bloks sets have tons of flash on the pieces and much weaker interlocking.

But if Lego lowered their prices by putting out product that inferior, that same buying public would complain because it ISN'T up to the quality that Lego is known for - you pay less but you also get less. The prices of toys in the past 20 years haven't gone up all that much due to a market willing to pay only so much for something like a Star Wars figure, so Hasbro has used advances in materials and designs and manufacturing to lower their costs in order to keep their product roughly the same price -- when you take a C-3PO figure from 20 years ago and compare it to one from today, you find that old figure is worn out and doesn't have a design as nice as its modern counterpart; but when you take a Lego piece from 20 years ago and compare it to one from today, the color might have faded a little but the part still interlocks perfectly with its modern counterpart and they have pretty much the same feel because they're pretty much the same material. So do you fault Lego for being 20 years ahead of their design (actually more like 35) and finally having the times catch up with them financially, thus having both the company and the consumers suffer? It's not an easy dilemma to deal with, and obviously the company's leadership in the past few years failed to deal correctly with the problem, thinking Lego could simply diversify into other markets to overcome the problem - it failed to the tune of $240 mil unfortunately. :(

Personally, I'd like to see Lego a little more choosy about the sets they put out, I'd like to see more quality bucket assortments (buckets usually equal good parts at lower per-part prices), I'd like to see a product roll-out schedule that worked a little better for the company, and of course I'd like to see a decrease in price as well.

bobafrett
01-12-2004, 11:47 PM
I have always enjoyed Lego's, and was thrilled when they started putting out the SW line. I have bought most of the sets, and I'd say about 90% of those I have paid full retail. I was glad to read the news tonight on the SSG homepage, that Lego is not going to discontinue the Star Wars line.

JediTricks
01-14-2004, 12:57 AM
I was glad to be able to report it. Then I hit my local stores and saw how many NBA lego sets are just collecting dust, even on clearance, and it's not hard to see why Lego appears to have lost money on that deal. :( Hopefully, 2004 and especially 2005 will be big years for Lego and Lego Star Wars products. When the new Falcon comes, I don't know WHAT I'm going to do with my old one though. I can't bring myself to turn it into parts, but I'm way out of space already.

bobafrett
01-14-2004, 01:03 AM
I was glad to be able to report it. Then I hit my local stores and saw how many NBA lego sets are just collecting dust, even on clearance, and it's not hard to see why Lego appears to have lost money on that deal. :( Hopefully, 2004 and especially 2005 will be big years for Lego and Lego Star Wars products. When the new Falcon comes, I don't know WHAT I'm going to do with my old one though. I can't bring myself to turn it into parts, but I'm way out of space already.

I saw a ton of the NBA 3 player sets on clearance at Target for under $2. I was going to buy some to exchange out some of the plain face Imperial officers. Problem is, all the NBA players look way to happy to be imperial officers.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Yeah, the whole pricing issue is a dilemma, JT. Darned if you do and so forth. I'm still sticking with my almost clearance-only policy since the prices are generally too high for my budget.

JediTricks
01-15-2004, 08:34 PM
I hear ya, I was glad my grandma got me the Republic Gunship for xmas at nearly 40% off (this wasn't a clearance, TRU was having a sale price on it and had a Lego special going at the time), and I only bought the Jabba's Palace and AT-TE on final clearance last night, though both are sets I really didn't think I was going to buy at full price.

bobafrett
01-16-2004, 12:03 AM
I wish I had waited for a sale price on the AT-TE, and I almost picked up a second set yesterday when I saw one on clearance for $30, but to tell you the truth, I'm running out of space to display them all.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-16-2004, 06:11 PM
I wish I had waited for a sale price on the AT-TE, and I almost picked up a second set yesterday when I saw one on clearance for $30, but to tell you the truth, I'm running out of space to display them all.

Just get it if the price is great. You'll very likely never get another chance to find it that cheap, let alone somewhere other than online (in other words costly). If you can't display them all, do what I do and just tear down your older sets to make room for the newer ones.

ACPin
01-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Just get it if the price is great. You'll very likely never get another chance to find it that cheap, let alone somewhere other than online (in other words costly). If you can't display them all, do what I do and just tear down your older sets to make room for the newer ones.
Or do what I do, build other vehicles using the parts from the extra sets that I own.

bobafrett
01-22-2004, 12:33 PM
I took your advice, but not on the At-Te, but instead I was at a Wal-Mart today and they had the TIE bombers for $8 each. I bought three to use for parts. They also had Jabba's palace for $15. I missed out on that one though as a lady picked it up before I could.

JediTricks
01-29-2004, 05:28 AM
Picked up a Jabba's Palace tonight for $7! WOO!!!

Kidhuman
01-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Picked up a Halfire Droid for 25 bucks last night. It was marked 35, but when I scanned it, it came up for 25. Jabba's Palace, I want that one, havent seen it.

Kidhuman
01-30-2004, 05:10 PM
I picked up a Slave 1 today for 12 bucks. Iwas tempted to buy the AT-TE also. It was marked down to 40 bucks from 70. I think I will get that when I get the rest of my tax return, praying they still have it. BTW does the AT-TE come with that speeder bike too? or was it just show on the box?

Mandalorian Candidat
01-30-2004, 05:32 PM
BTW does the AT-TE come with that speeder bike too? or was it just show on the box?

I haven't opened mine yet, but it does come with the bike. They won't show it with the rest of the set, if it isn't included, without a set number. Plus there's a place at the AT-TE's rear to stow it, similar to the AT-AT. From the looks of it I think it's the same as the one from Ewok Attack.

JediTricks
01-30-2004, 08:57 PM
It does indeed come with the speederbike. I think the bike is the same design as that Ewok set version (I don't have it) but I'm pretty sure that one is brown whereas this one is dark crimson which would be accurate.

KH, you picked up Jango's Slave 1 for $12 or the old Boba Fett version? If it's the Jango one, that's awesome! One of my favorite sets, though I did add some floor panels and a hinged rear door to it. Recently, I've been thinking about redesigning the wings though to make them more accurate, but if I want the cockpit to rotate, I'll need to do some sort of gearing system... which as soon as I typed that sounded mega cool. :D

The AT-TE is a good toy, I was very surprised when I finally got it earlier this month, I was expecting it to be only ok.

Kidhuman
01-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Twas Jango Fett's Slave 1. I got the last one as well to boot. I will get the At-TE next week. When I go there toomrrow I will put it in the clearance aisle on the top shelf with a bunch of others to hide it until then. <laughs evily at his diabolical plan>

JediTricks
01-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Best of luck! :)

Ric Olie
01-31-2004, 02:19 PM
My local Walmart hasn't marked down any of the 2003 Legos yet. I always make sure and run them under a scanner every now and then.

Kidhuman
02-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Best of luck! :)

Still hidden behind all of the Spider-man Lego playsets.

And KB is clearancing out some of their Lego sets as well. Here is the link. (http://www.kbtoys.com/Results.html/previous_keywords/%7bstar+wars%7d/D/star+wars/Ntt/star+wars/Dx/mode+matchall/Ntk/Record_Search/Ntx/mode+matchall/N/2228/Nty/1/displayKey/Name/sortedBy/Name_Match/ls/default)

Ric Olie
02-08-2004, 02:32 PM
I checked my local Walmart again and the Hailfiar droid was down to 25.00, the Skyhopper was 9.00 and Jabba's palace was 17.00. I'am going to wait and hope they mark'em down some more.

I did see the Geonosian Star Fighter for 10.00 at another Walmart and I though about getting it but I put it back.

Kidhuman
02-10-2004, 09:50 AM
I picked up the last AT-TE that I had hidden thismorning. Icouldnt believe it was still there. Got it for 30 bucks. Couldnt let it hang out there much longer.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-10-2004, 01:34 PM
I did see the Geonosian Star Fighter for 10.00 at another Walmart and I though about getting it but I put it back.

Wise choice. I got one months back when KMart clearance them out and finally opened it last week. Man, what a disappointment. Didn't like anything about it. Good thing I only paid $3 for it.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Closing KB stores may have lowered prices to 30% off. One of my local stores did so on Monday. This may be a great time to grab a bunch of those Final Duel II sets for extra Stormies.

Kidhuman
02-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Just got me R2-D2 from 2002 for 6 bucks today at Wal-MArt, they must of found one in the back cause I havent seen him in a long time

JediTricks
02-27-2004, 09:50 PM
I saw a bunch of that figure on clearance at WM just after this holiday season, probably because WM got in more shipments of that set in the middle of last year. In fact, WM was pretty stocked on all the Technic SW figures last year IIRC.

Kidhuman
02-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Yeah I saw them around Christmas, but then they sold out. I wish I could of gotten a few others but what can ya do? The Jango looked like a nice piece.

JediTricks
02-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Check your local KBs, they had a bunch of 'em last time I was there.

Kidhuman
02-29-2004, 08:49 PM
My local KB's are shut down. :( No clearances for me.

JediTricks
02-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Wow, that stinks! Sorry to hear that.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-01-2004, 12:17 PM
My last area one shut down Sat. and it blows. At least there's an outlet about 30 min away.

Ric Olie
03-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Jabba's Palace and the Skyhopper are still 17.00 and 9.00 at my local Walmart. I'd hope they mark them down soon.

Kidhuman
03-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Picked me upa T-16 today for 5 bucks on final clearance. Got the last one. Also picked up an extra Jabba's prize for 3 bucks. Needed the extra figures. I plan on getting the rest of that series

Mandalorian Candidat
03-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm baffled that some of you guys still have SW Legos on clearance at WM. All the ones in my area just suddenly went dry. No clearance, no nothing.

Kidhuman
03-10-2004, 01:10 PM
These have been laying around for months. They have been on clearance since the Dawn of Time it seems. They had like 200 Jabba's prizes and 400 T-16's. They still have some Jabba's Prize left in anyone is interested.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-10-2004, 08:45 PM
These have been laying around for months. They have been on clearance since the Dawn of Time it seems. They had like 200 Jabba's prizes and 400 T-16's. They still have some Jabba's Prize left in anyone is interested.

I got a bunch of JP's at Target when they were something like $1.76. Another T16 wouldn't be too bad though. How many of them are left, KH?

JediTricks
03-10-2004, 09:25 PM
WM toy clearances are not determined by the headquarters, but instead by each store's toy manager, apparently they have a "clearance allowance" they're allowed to "spend" in terms of discounts and can see fit to use that however they want. In my area, 1 store has a few Jabba's Palaces left while another store a few miles from there has none, but several T-16s.

Kidhuman
03-10-2004, 11:04 PM
They dont have anymore T-16s Man Can,but JT, how much are the Jabbas Palace? I could use one.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-11-2004, 10:24 AM
WM toy clearances are not determined by the headquarters, but instead by each store's toy manager, apparently they have a "clearance allowance" they're allowed to "spend" in terms of discounts and can see fit to use that however they want. In my area, 1 store has a few Jabba's Palaces left while another store a few miles from there has none, but several T-16s.

Yes, and how much are the T-16s going for, JT?

JediTricks
03-11-2004, 09:12 PM
To KH's question, $18.

To ManCan's, er... um... I hate to say it, but I don't actually remember, that set's also on clearance at Kmart for like $8.50 or $7.50, I think.

Ric Olie
03-24-2004, 03:45 PM
I got the Mini Lego Podracer set for a $1.00 at my local Walmart. Jabba's palace was still $17.00 and the Hailfair Droid was still $25.00.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-24-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the update Ric. Has the price dropped recently on the JP? It seems like Wal-Mart takes their time lowering clearance prices.

Kidhuman
03-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the update Ric. Has the price dropped recently on the JP? It seems like Wal-Mart takes their time lowering clearance prices.

Wal-Mart usually lowers once a month. They are allotted "x" amount of dollars per department each month and go from there. Thats why each stopre has different clearance items. I think it should be more uniform with clearancing, each store has the same items. If it isnt on the list dont do it. Plain and simple.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-25-2004, 10:10 AM
I don't think I posted this item on SSG so I'll just do it here.

ShopKo has the Rebel Snowspeeder on sale this week for $16. All the other Lego sets are 10% off. I think the X-Wing is normally $45 (weird for a ShopKo cause they always jack up the prices) so now it's about $40.

Ric Olie
03-25-2004, 05:06 PM
I think the 17.00 price on the Jabba's Palace was the second reduction on the price. I belive it went from the full price $29.99 to $20.00 or $25.00 then down to $17.00. I'll get it if it drops to $10.00 or lower or if there's only one or two left.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-31-2004, 11:34 AM
These prices are from KMart, but I'll just keep them in this thread.

Found Jabba's Palace for $15 and T16 for $7 this past week.

Kidhuman
03-31-2004, 04:28 PM
Nice finds, I saw Jabbas Palace and Tie bomber for 17 yesterday. Didnt get them though. :beard:

Ric Olie
04-01-2004, 06:33 PM
They sets are still $17.00 and $25.00 at my Walmart.

Ric Olie
04-13-2004, 04:16 PM
My local Walmart has moved nearly all of the toys out off the mark down section and I could find where they put the Lego sets. I'm afraid they just shipped them off to rot in a warehouse instead of marking them down.