PDA

View Full Version : Actor John Ritter Dies at 54

Jayspawn
09-12-2003, 09:38 AM
Actor John Ritter died today from a heart attack at the age of 54. John was best known as the star of the 70's sitcom "Threes Company." As well as the Problem Child movies among several others. Recently he made a comeback to ABC with "8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenage Daughter."

Threes Company was a great show, groundbreaking with John's off the wall humor, he was one of the few actors who have mastered physical comedy. 8 Simple Rules was another great program.

We'll miss you John, when you knock on our door, we'll be waiting for you!

Sentinel18725
09-12-2003, 10:18 AM
Wow! That was totally unexpected. Peace to all of his family and friends.....go gracefully to the next world John!

kool-aid killer
09-12-2003, 10:27 AM
This suprised me too. I was never a big fan of the Problem Child movies but enjoyed Threes Company. I havent seen 8 Simple Rules but it will be sad to see the commercials run. Rest in peace Mr. Ritter.

stillakid
09-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Wow! What a surprise. We just did a press thing for ABC last weekend and indeed, he didn't show up for his show. I wonder if he'd been having problems that were keeping him laid up?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-12-2003, 11:14 AM
This is really strange. I never watched his shows but he seemed like a really nice guy, like on Hollywood Squares. That's really too bad. :cry:

Pendo
09-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Whoa, quite shocking :sur:.

RIP John :zzz:.

PENDO!

AmanaMatt
09-12-2003, 11:42 AM
Some news you do not expect to find here. To me, John Ritter was a total comic genius. As a fan of Three's Company, I'll have nothing but a smile when I think if him.

Dr Zoltar
09-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Very, very sad. I grew up on Three's Company. I even enjoyed him in Steven King's "It". Good bye John...

scruffziller
09-12-2003, 02:05 PM
I didn't realize he was that old. He was great in Sling Blade.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-12-2003, 02:19 PM
When I heard I was totally shocked. He was still really young.

I guess we have our triad of celebrity deaths now: Warren Zevon, Ritter, and Johnny Cash.

JediTricks
09-12-2003, 09:51 PM
from AP wire:

...Ritter fell ill Thursday on the set of his ABC sitcom "8 Simple Rules ... For Dating My Teenage Daughter," said Susan Wilcox, his assistant of 22 years. The cause of death was a dissection of the aorta, the result of an unrecognized flaw in his heart, said his publicist, Lisa Kasteler.

Ritter died at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday...

Hard to believe, so very sudden.

RooJay
09-18-2003, 11:59 PM
I was watching TV Land's Three's Company marathon the other day, and noticed something. Not having seen the show in awhile, I found myself looking at the pictures on the wall of their set. I was thinking to myself, "who do I know that had those pictures on their wall when I was growing up?". Then I realized that it was actually Jack, Chrissy, and Janet who had them on their wall. Not only had I grown up with that show, it actually felt as though I knew the characters as know my own family; I realized that I could even picture in my head every small detail of not only that apartment, but also of the Roper's apartment, Jack's Bistro, and even the Regal Beagle.
I know it might sound a bit sappy, but I actually took it rather hard considering when I'd heard that John Ritter had passed. He was not only far too young, and too good a person - he was practically family. More to it...I lost one of my uncles, whom I was very close with, several years back. Not only had he always reminded me of John Ritter growing up, but he was actually quite fond of the actor as well. Mr. Ritter was my uncle's favorite comedian/actor, and he also did a pretty awesome Jack tripper impersonation (my uncle was the family clown, and his Jack impersonation was often the highlight of our family get-togethers).
I may not actually have known him in person, and I realize that I may never have even seen the real John Ritter while he was alive, but for what I did know of the man and what his career has meant to me throughout my life - he will be sorely missed and long remembered.

jjreason
09-19-2003, 12:53 AM
Im saddened by this. He was a fixture of my childhood as well (so many of us near the same age, huh?). I loved Three's Company, and probably saw each and every episode numerous times including the follow up Three's a Crowd shows after Jack got married. Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV was Jack hitting himself with the hammer in frustration over having troubles with the stewardess he wound up marrying - his face was priceless. Backwards somersaults through the kitchen door, Larry and Lana, Roper and Furley overhearing every comment they could possibly take to mean something "perverted"..... that stuff was priceless then and kills me to this day. John Ritter was absolutely hilarious. RIP.