PDA

View Full Version : Geonosian Starfighter Review

Darth Sidious
09-14-2003, 07:01 PM
Well, I got this today so I figured I'd review it. Here it goes.

The detail on this ship is pretty much what I expected. There is not a whole lot of detail, but then again, it is not a very detailed ship in the first place. So in this sense, it is accurate. Some may consider the paint job dull, but, once again, this never was a bright, flashy ship. I think the gold paint looks great, especially. If Hasbro had decided to paint it more, well, it just wouldn't be movie-accurate. The paint that is on it is very cleanly applied; no sloppy edges or anything like that. The plastic on this ship is hard, hollow sounding plastic like most ships, but gets floppy and limp near the pointed tips a la Naboo Starfighter. They don't sag too too badly, but it can be a little annoying. Still, it doesn't detract too much from the overall appearance. The canopy is one of the coolest canopies I have ever seen on a ship, probbaly the coolest period. It is yellowish/golden, and it almost looks like it is made of some sort of liquid, like the Gungan underwater bubble-shields. The pack in figure is an exclusive pilot Geonosian, and it's pretty cool, for a pack in at least. He has a sort of vest that reminds me of Clonetrooper (On the back of the vest at least.) It has shoulder and hip articulation, and a ball-jointed head and, surprisingly, a ball jointed waist. (Mine fell apart at the giant ball joint when I was bending it, but snapped right back together. :D ) He also has a muzzle-like breathing mask with a life support hose that looks quite cute on a Geonosian. :D The air hose is nice and long and plugs into a hole on the control panels, which is pretty cool. Also, the canopy distorts the hose and the Geonosian a bit. Needless to say, this makes for a VERY eerie effect when you look into the cockpit. The gimmick is...well...a gimmick. You push a button and two side panels pop open, occasionally shooting a missile when they open. You push the button after they are opened to shoot the two missiles. The guns are small, though, and I am wondering if they will break... The opening panels are rather well-hidden while they are shut, though. The other gun, the exposed one in the "crotch" of the starfighter between the bases of the two points, is, in fact, a missile, which fires pretty far at the push of a different button. Missiles are not too bad as far as gimmicks go, really, and the gimmicks do not upset me. Finally, the size. It is about 15 inches long, 5 1/2 inches high, and 4 or so inches wide at the widest point. It is small. But the size seems pretty accurate, I mean, they WERE small ships. It would be kind of dumb if they were the size of AT-ATs.

I like this ship, and it is well worth the $20 I paid for it, in my opinion. It has flaws, but so does every ship, and this ship's flaws are overlookable, even the bendiness. I highly recommend this ship to anybody who sees it; I am really glad I found it so early. I give it an 8.75/10. If you have any questions about the Starfighter, let me know. :)

SirSteve
09-14-2003, 08:55 PM
Nice review. What store did you find it at?

Battle Droid
09-14-2003, 09:07 PM
"It has shoulder and hip articulation, and a ball-jointed head and, surprisingly, a ball jointed waist."

And I guess Hasbro couldn't have gave the carded released one that kind of articulation. :frus:

I want a Geonosian Guard with tons of articulation.

Great Review by the way, hope I can find it someday. :)

Darth Sidious
09-15-2003, 05:56 AM
Nice review. What store did you find it at?

Thanks! :) I found my Starfighter at Target.

JEDIpartner
09-15-2003, 08:28 AM
Does this thing have landing struts? :confused:

Darth Sidious
09-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Well, in a way it has a form of landing struts. They are not extendable or retractable, but there are little bumps of plastic at the bottom which keep it standing up, so to speak.

JediTricks
09-19-2003, 10:44 PM
I just picked this set up tonight. I wasn't expecting so much of the ship to be made of that rubbery gumby plastic material, it's over 1/3rd of the ship's length. I've only had my set out of its box 2 hours and already the damn things are sagging well beneath the line of the ship, I have it on top of a Cinema Scene box and the bottom one is now sagging half an inch below that lip; the top one is sagging so far down that it's now blocking the blaster missile. This alone is so annoying that I don't want to play with it, and I really have to wonder why Hasbro even bothered using this material when the ship isn't particularly pointy and certainly not dangerous this far back - I could understand making the first inch or so rubbery, but this is totally ridiculous.

The figure is as good as advertised, although the ball joint is upper/mid-torso, not waist. It does come apart fairly easily since it's made of more of that rubbery stuff, but it's got a good sculpt and paintjob. I wish the face mask was removable, that would have been the bee's knees, but it's pretty cool as it is.

I wish the main gun wasn't a missile, it's off-center and LOOKS like a missile rather than a blaster, I would have preferred if it rotated around like the LEGO one or reciprocated or something. The hideaway missile launchers are cool in theory, but the right panel doesn't stay flush when closed and fires prematurely; other than that, it's a nice feature and I don't mind it.

Finally, as for size, it seems about 15% too small, but looks good with the Rep Gunship this way, so I give it a 7/10.

berkovw
09-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Did it come with a Clone Wars short story?

Darth Sidious
09-20-2003, 12:25 PM
Yes, it did come with a short story, as did the Hailfire Droid, which I got today. :D I kind of like the short stories, they're an entertaining read.

Hellboy
09-20-2003, 10:34 PM
I really like this ship but I'm having major problems with the rubbery noses of the ship bending too. Its annoying but hopefully after reshaping them multiple times it will eventually stay straight. The Geonosian Pilot looks great but the color of the breathing apparatus is a bit more gold than the orange looking picture on the box. The ship's action feature isn't an issue as far as I'm concerned but I can see how it might be unpopular with others. I love the color and the cockpit is cool too but I would have liked to have some sort of landing gear. I was thinking it would have something similar to Dooku's ship's landing struts but I guess not. Other than those few gripes I think it's a good buy and easily worth $20. I'd give it a 8/10.

jedibear
10-11-2003, 11:30 PM
...my issues are the same that others have brought up already. This ship is very definately a TOY first. The rubber nose tips aren't sagging as bad as others have had on mine, but the bigger distraction for me is the color variation between the rubber parts and the hard plastic. I like the clear canopy but wish it had been packed individually. Mine ended up with a couple of scratches (probably from rolling around with the missles in transit).
The pack-in figure is fun albiet fragile (but he does snap back together pretty easy. I'm relieved that the opening "wing" guns are hidden so well. I'm not so hot on "play-value" added gimmicks, but at least they don't detract from the overall look of the ship.
Not a bad addition to the clone war fleet...but out of the two I found this week, I definately like the Hailfire Droid better...