PDA

View Full Version : Hoth 4 pack

keithfite
09-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Has anyone found this in stores yet? Also, have any of you got yours from TRU.com I thought they werent to ship for awhile but on TRU it says it will ship in 24 hours. So does anyone have theres from the store or got theres from TRU.com

JEDIpartner
09-15-2003, 03:54 PM
I haven't seen this one yet but I am looking to pick one up for sure! I was going to pre-order that Jedi 4-pack from TRU.com but the shipping comes up as $13.00+ USD (!!!) :eek: So... I am going to hold off on this until a little closer to the release date if I pre-order it at all.

FYI: for those who didn't pre-order this; the shipping is only a little over $5 USD on the item, which is why the $13 USD shipping amount seems so ludicrous.

Dr Zoltar
09-15-2003, 06:54 PM
No signs of this yet in my area as well. Since the Bounty Hunter pack just came out, I don't expect to see it for another 3-4 weeks. The stores in my area seems to get the new stuff about 3 weeks after someone posts for the first time that they found something new.

Kidhuman
09-15-2003, 06:59 PM
Havent seen them either. This is the only 4-pack that I am interested in because of the Taun Taun. Will be on the look out though.

TheDarthVader
09-15-2003, 11:07 PM
My TRU has some of these 4 packs. If you want to trade me, PM me and I will get back to you and let you know what I need (Saga figures and some green package LOTR figures).
I picked this set up the moment I found it. This is by far the best 4 pack exclusive to TRU. I love the new droid and the taun taun is cool. Of course, I collect MOC so...I did not open it. ;)

RussUAE
09-15-2003, 11:52 PM
I bought mine online.

And it is very nice - I was stoked that this came out cos I didn't collect POTF2, so it's fantastic to get my hands on stuff like the Tautaun.

AmanaMatt
09-16-2003, 06:20 PM
So, does everyone want the Tautau with or without broken horn? Does this appeal to you variation hunters out there?

I'll hook up with one with corrected horn (that is apparently hitting or will).

stillakid
09-16-2003, 09:26 PM
Just got mine today. The entrails are great. But I thought they smelled bad...on the outside. ;)

JangoFart
09-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Just FYI, guys/gals: TRU's website now has the Hoth pack in stock and ready for shipping! I just snagged one!

J

Banthaholic
09-17-2003, 05:24 PM
I got this today from Amazon.com, was pleasantly surprised, they shipped me a mint one.
First time ordering SW from them, so I was a bit worried, but glad I did. BTW the set looks great

tagmac
09-17-2003, 09:37 PM
Got mine today from amazon.com. Came in mint condition, and has the correct tauntaun (with the broken horn). Haven't opened it yet, but I will soon.

Banthaholic
09-17-2003, 09:54 PM
I finally got the time to look at mine, it looks like I have the Taun Taun with the broken tusk.
From preproduction images I assume this is the initial offering. Then they switched to Han's Taun (ie the correct non-broken tusk)
Has anyone seen Han's taun-taun in this set yet?

tagmac
09-17-2003, 10:45 PM
My bad....I forgot that it was Han's tauntaun that gets cut open. No matter...I'm not buying a new 4-pack just to get the one with the right horn.

JediTricks
09-18-2003, 12:01 AM
I saw this set today in the store, and I put it back because it didn't seem worth $20. Do you guys think it's worth the money? (and is your opinion based on having or not having the POTF2 Han Tauntaun set?)

RussUAE
09-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Mine came with an unbroken horn. Bought it online though.

I would say this set is definitely worth having (based on not having any tauntaun but the vntage one)

kool-aid killer
09-18-2003, 09:57 AM
I plan on getting it when i see it. My decision is based on wanting one that is "cut open" and not due to the fact i dont have a Han and Tauntaun. The droid looks cool too. My only complaint is that i have no need for the Luke figure but i could try to customize him into a generic Hoth soldier one day.

stillakid
09-18-2003, 06:00 PM
I saw this set today in the store, and I put it back because it didn't seem worth $20. Do you guys think it's worth the money? (and is your opinion based on having or not having the POTF2 Han Tauntaun set?)

For the record, I have both. But I like the set. The two things that make it worth it are the entrails, as I mentioned before, and Chewy. Leia is pretty good, but she kinda looks like she's holding her breath, ya know, by puffing her cheeks out a little bit. The Tauntaun itself is as good as the others except for the slit where you shove the entrails.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-18-2003, 06:41 PM

I have one of the POTF2 Tauntauns (Luke?), anyways, I'm not getting one for $20. Yes you get several figures with the gutbusting Tauntaun but I don't feel like shelling out that much for stuff that's not too articulated or sculpted well or even a first time sculpt. I bet they'll end up on clearance sooner or later.

mista_carrot
09-19-2003, 05:01 AM
Just recieved my set from Amazon.com...and the Tauntaun has the broken horn! :cry:

I guess that's the gamble of buying the set online. I really want Han's tauntaun since I've already got Luke's. In the meantime, I'll just keep this one in the box and hopefully I'll see the correct tauntaun at the store.

I think the set is worth the 20 bucks if you don't have a tauntaun and/or are an astromech freak. Chewy's also a good figure, but Luke and Leia look like garbage IMO.

DarthBrandon
09-19-2003, 12:21 PM
I picked up my Hoth set today and I've got to say it's quite a disappointment.
Luke and Leia are crap IMO, Chewy is O.K. but he's just a Bespin version painted with some snowflakes. The Tauntaun is all right and it does come with a split belly and some guts to boot, my R3 Droid actually came apart when I tried to pull him from the plastic prison he was in. After about five minutes he was back together and looks great with the other Droids. The only plus to this set is that my new Han Hoth looks great on the Tauntaun and the Droid fits in with the others just fine. If I had to do it all over again I would buy it just for the Droid alone, not enough of them out there IMO.

Jaff
09-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

I walked into the Vestal Toys R Us today and saw the Hoth 4 pack price label and an empty spot for the pack next to the Imperial and Bounty hunter sets. I immediately went to the front desk and asked if they already got them, or sold out. They said: "We just sold the last one about an hour ago, but we should get more in soon!"

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

JediTricks
09-19-2003, 11:26 PM
Here's another question, how does Luke look tucked inside the Tauntaun?

rbaumhauer
09-20-2003, 11:40 AM
My local TRU has these, and I thought for sure I was going to buy it, but on closer inspection, I came to the same conclusion as some others - not worth $20.

As others have said, the Luke and Leia are pretty lousy - Leia because they used cheap/odd plastic for the head (she looks like she has a fake tan), Luke because the head is molded in the color of the headgear, so his face is all painted on, and badly at that. His torso is also molded out of a cheap, shiny plastic that just looks off. I'd much rather wait for the new Hoth Luke that is on the way.

Chewie is nice, certainly better than the earlier Hoth Chewie, but still not a particularly exciting figure. My TRU had the broken-horn Tauntaun, which helped make the decision easier, as well - if it had been the corrected pack, I might have purchased.

So, in the end, I just didn't feel like paying $20 for the astromech, as much as I liked it. If I happen upon one with the corrected Tauntaun, I might change my mind, but it will probably depend on my mood at the time.

mm74md
09-20-2003, 01:55 PM
I got one as a Christmas gift for my son. These 4 packs are going to make great gifts this year for the little SW fans!

gtrain29
09-22-2003, 07:47 PM
I picked up the last one they had at TRU today. I think its worth about $10. The luke is just a repack of the poft2, the chewie is the bespin repack, I noticed the tan leia thing, too, but I love the R3 unit. I don't care about the taun taun, so basically I paid $20 for leia hoth and R3-A2 which is probably what I would have paid on ebay.

Jaff
09-24-2003, 11:14 AM
Went to Syracuse, N.Y. yesterday, and stopped by two Toys R Us, and behold I found one.

What a disappointment. The Leia looked like an ape, the chewie and luke was no big deal. Although the Tauntaun had a better paint job than the original one it too was no big deal.

The R3 droid was the only real thing I wanted. Since I have every character loose I bought it, because I don't want an uncomplete loose collection. However I agree with most of you it was not a bargain, or worth the money. If I didn't own the $14.99 Tauntaun and Luke beast assortment from POTF it would have been, so for those of you who never got that it would be a different story.

plasticfetish
09-24-2003, 01:27 PM
I found one this morning and I'm pretty happy with it.

It's always nice to have another Chewy figure. So what if it's only Bespin Chewbacca with snow ... that was a great figure and now I have a Hoth version of it. The bowcaster is a little odd, mine was glued a bit crooked (and it looks nothing like the one on the box) but no big deal. Leia is weird! The face is such an odd color and I'm pretty sure that her blaster is made out of bubble gum ... I haven't tried to chew it yet, but I may later. Luke is just fine, hardly any different than the POTF version. Frankly, that figure was pretty ugly and this one is the same. The Tauntaun is great! I really hated the POTF Tauntaun ... with the button and the simulated "running" action. This guy's made out of vinyl instead of hard plastic and the paint job is super. You can actually pose this one and it'll stay standing! I would have paid $15 for that alone. Also, I didn't know that the belly would come un-split and that you have a choice of opening it (or not) yourself. I'm leaving mine alone and saving the guts for ... I dunno, perhaps I'll chew them along with Leia's bubble gum blaster. The droid is nice ... fits right in with the rest. It's a little funny that the photo they use is really of an R2 unit (not a big surprise.)

All in all, easily worth $20. If I ever see another version of this set, with the Han Tauntaun, I'll buy it also. You can never have enough Tauntauns, R3 units or chewy gut blobs.

Jaff
09-25-2003, 01:09 AM
Here's another question, how does Luke look tucked inside the Tauntaun?

Not very good. The plastic around the opening of the Tauntaun belly is very tight, and you really have to use muscle to open the belly enough to fit a fig in there. By the plastic I can tell if you open the belly too much it will strain easily and hang open, and never reseal properly so I didn't test the belly but once. When you get the fig in there it looks good cause you can put the guts against Luke hanging out. The guts are like fish lures (gooey like a soft gummy bear). I just leave the guts in the belly, and the Luke on the tauntaun. I just don't want to risk stretching that tauntaun tummy anymore. It's a really nice tauntaun, superior to the first POTF version.

fishyfett
09-25-2003, 10:02 AM
I haven't seen this set yet. However, I don't plan on buying it, just like the first 2 sets (BH's and IF's). The sets all have rehashed figures.
Bounty Hunters' only selling point is the souped up Swoop (which is also a rehash from SOTE line). Other than that, everything else is rehashed.
Imperial Forces - I really liked the black Imp Astromech Droid (which is a rehashed R4-M9). Other than that, everything else is rehashed.
Now this Hoth Pack, NO, I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for one droid (rehashed R2-D2, R2-B1, however you wanna call it) that I really liked. And YES, I have both Tauntauns from the POTF line. Having one w/ spilling guts doesn't matter. Two tauntauns are enough. If I want to see some guts, I'll take out my Acklay figure and mess with it.
For those who missed out on the Tauntauns, completists and Droid fans, this is a great opportunity to fill in the holes in your collection. As for me, there's a difference between buying NEW stuff and rehashed items. There's is nothing new about these packs for me. If they go on clearance, maybe, just maybe, I'll change my mind. But till then, for the rest of you, have fun buying these sets. :)

JediTricks
09-27-2003, 12:19 AM
Jaff, thanks for the info on the Tauntaun's slit belly, that pretty much sealed the deal for me as that was the main feature I was interested in. Now I'm not even going to look for the horn missing or not. :D

evenflow
09-27-2003, 07:52 AM
Well I picked this up yesterday and have to say i think this is my favorite of the 4-packs so far. I split belly TaunTaun with entrails is what does it for me. I have the broken horn version, thats all they had. I like the droid too. Personally i think the price is worth it. You are pretty much getting at least 5 figures when you think about it. Not abad deal in my book.

Turbowars
09-27-2003, 01:57 PM
Got mine today and there were 3 still there when I left, no one else was interested. I think it is worth 20 for those that don't have any of the figures, but not for the rest of us. I do really like the R3 unit and dig on the Chewy and Tauntaun. Well if I think about it, it was worth it, because I bought it right?

Turbowars
09-27-2003, 02:00 PM
I picked up my Hoth set today and I've got to say it's quite a disappointment.
. Question for you, if it was a disappointment why did you buy it?:confused:

DarthBrandon
09-28-2003, 09:28 AM
Question for you, if it was a disappointment why did you buy it?:confused:

I bought it for the droid and the Tauntaun, read the post where the droid fell apart when I tried to take him from his plastic prison. Oh! and there is nothing but zero here in Canada for new Star Wars items besides the Hoth and Bounty Hunter packs if you must know. Read the last part of the post, I bought it for the droid plain and simple and if I found it (luke and Leia) to be a disappointment when I got it home that's my business and my own opinion. :rolleyes:

Turbowars
09-28-2003, 10:30 AM
I bought it for the droid and the Tauntaun, read the post where the droid fell apart when I tried to take him from his plastic prison. Oh! and there is nothing but zero here in Canada for new Star Wars items besides the Hoth and Bounty Hunter packs if you must know. Read the last part of the post, I bought it for the droid plain and simple and if I found it (luke and Leia) to be a disappointment when I got it home that's my business and my own opinion. :rolleyes: Hey, I meant if you saw it in the store you should have seen that is was going to be an disappointment and just passed on it. No need to be nasty.:rolleyes::frus:

DarthBrandon
09-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Hey, I meant if you saw it in the store you should have seen that is was going to be an disappointment and just passed on it. No need to be nasty.:rolleyes::frus:

Not getting nasty turbowars, I think my first post on the issue should have been enough for most to get my point (my opinion). I didn't think this pack warrants any praise from my end, so I gave an honest opinion. I bought it for the droid primarily like I mentioned in my first post, secondly for another Tauntaun, thirdly because we have nothing new and that's about it. If i were to have given it praise it should have had the new Han Hoth as Luke is coming out in 2004 and Leia should have had a bag over her head or a new sculpt or at least something better than what we got. I passed on the Bounty Hunter set because there was nothing new about it IMO. The Imperial pack is waiting for me in a trade right now and I have to say that Vader will be donated to someone because he's another figure that I don't need right now. I want that one as well for the droid, AT-ST driver and the stormtooper. All I can say dude is I bought for the droid. :D Was it worth it? IMO Yes :D