PDA

View Full Version : Takara's new Microman figures put all others to shame!

RooJay
09-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Granted these guys aren't widely available in these parts (I'm even certain that many of you have never even heard of them before now), but these things truly do put all other 3 3/4" figure lines (and even a lot of the larger scale lines) to serious shame!
Known as Microman in Japan, this line has been around since at least the early seventies and had previously been imported to the U.S. as the much revered Micronauts.

Here's a list of what I feel really makes these something special:

- with ball-jointed neck, unique (and highly effective) double ball-jointed shoulders (these figures, even at such a small scale, can shrug, cross their arms to touch opposite shoulders, and even hold swords double-handed out in front of them! pics to follow), cut-joint biceps, double-jointed elbows, cut-jointed wrists, pivoting hands, ball-jointed upper torsos and waists, ball-jointed hips, cut-joint thighs, double-jointed knees, cut-joint lower legs, and ankle joints of the style seen on Toybiz's Marvel Legends figures - all on a 3 3/4" figure!!! :eek:

- all the figures in the line come with no fewer than EIGHT complete pairs of interchangeable hands - each in a different pose!!!

- they're all made of rigid, solid, and yet still very durable plastic

- though only one has been imported to the states thus far, the line actually includes several licensed and quite popular anime characters

- a literal handful of accessories are included with each figure - all fully appropriate, all fully compatible with the figure

- each figure comes in more or less completely collector friendly and easy to store (being a clear plastic tube, no more than 4 1/2" tall and 2 1/4" wide) packaging

- most of the pieces on each figure can be easily popped off and interchanged with the other figures

- most of the figures in the line include plenty of vac-metallized pieces

- the paint ops are at least on par with anything put out by Hasbro or Mattel

...and all of this in an IMPORTED figure (read - import taxes included!) that retails for $4.95!!! :eek:

You'd think that a figure that small with THAT MUCH articulation would have some major issues with gaps and loose joints, but that's honestly not the case at all. In fact, the figure I own (Jason from G-Force/Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman in Japan) I had posed swinging his sword while standing on one foot atop my dresser for nearly a week before I took him down to mess around with. There literally is not a pose that a human being is capable of that this figure can not copy and hold indefinitely. I have even used the figure as a very useful artists model to aid in drawing human figures.
Compare that with any figure ever offered by Hasbro, and it's easy to see why I say these put all others to shame. Imagine what it would be like if we were to get Star Wars figures (or G.I.Joe anyone?) from Hasbro with the same 30 plus points of articulation, half a dozen accessories each, in collector friendly packaging, all for less than five bucks before tax! Now, more than ever, do I wonder how these other companies manage to justify the lack of articulation, accessories, and especially the prices on their own products.
Currently being imported to the U.S. (sorry to my european friends, but I have no info regarding their availablility elsewhere) through Diamond Comic Distributors, and should be readily available (or at least available for order through Diamond Previews magazine) at your local comic store. Hopefully, with the success of this first wave of imported figures (Force Commander, Gunner, Ninja, Spy, and Gatchaman Jason) more will become available. Even more hopeful - with the excellent Palisades company currently holding the license for Micronauts figures and supposedly gearing up for a brand new version of said line, perhaps they will choose to import, or at least emulate this latest Microman line! I honestly CANNOT recommend these figures more. At five bucks a-piece, how can you afford to not buy 'em? :D

RooJay
09-15-2003, 04:23 PM
I'm planning on doing some comparison shots of these guys next to some recent Star Wars figures as soon as possible in order to give a better idea of what their articulation makes them capable of; I have managed to match them up pose-for-pose with every one of my Star Wars figures so far (and they're still capable of standing perfectly neutral, not to mention that they all fit easily into every one of my Star Wars vehicles!!!).

plasticfetish
09-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Man, am I jealous.
JediTricks did a mention on these a while back also ... I'd read about them ages ago and have never seen them in person. I have pretty much all of the Microman 2000 line from a few years ago (and a few Takara vintage re-issues) ... but these are something completely different. If you've ever seen any of the Neo Henshin Cyborg figures ... they're like little versions of those. Really cool!

Known as Microman in Japan, this line has been around since at least the early seventies and had previously been imported to the U.S. as the much revered Micronauts.
Micronauts was licensed to Mego, not really an import. The Japanese Microman stuff is actually even more well made than the old Mego stuff. Brilliant toys ... my very favorite.

Even more hopeful - with the excellent Palisades company currently holding the license for Micronauts figures and supposedly gearing up for a brand new version of said line, perhaps they will choose to import, or at least emulate this latest Microman line!
They've already had 2 waves of these out. The first wave was a bomb that suffered from incredible quality problems ... which Palisades has blamed on the factory in China. The second wave is out now, and Palisades claims that they've corrected many of the quality issues. I started a thread about it a while ago ... I've only bought one figure from wave 2 so I was holding off before I basically said that they looked to be pretty bad also.

Takara makes great stuff. I'm glad to hear that the quality on these new figures is really good ... most of their stuff that I have is the same way.

It's funny, when I was a kid my Micronauts and Star Wars figures spent a lot of time together.

RooJay
09-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Man, am I jealous.Micronauts was licensed to Mego, not really an import. The Japanese Microman stuff is actually even more well made than the old Mego stuff. Brilliant toys ... my very favorite.

I suppose I could've been more specific by what I meant here: the Micronauts line was directly inspired by, and directly resulted from Takara's original Microman line. As I've always heard it, several pieces from the Microman line were included as part of the Mego Micronauts line, although I admittedly have never seriously researched the line.

They've already had 2 waves of these out. The first wave was a bomb that suffered from incredible quality problems ... which Palisades has blamed on the factory in China. The second wave is out now, and Palisades claims that they've corrected many of the quality issues. I started a thread about it a while ago ... I've only bought one figure from wave 2 so I was holding off before I basically said that they looked to be pretty bad also.

Actually, those two waves were only rereleases of some of the original Micronauts figures, and were never intended as Palisades new Micronauts line, which as I understand are still in the works. I have even heard that at least a single pilot exists (possible an entire mini-series) for the new animated series which is intended to support this line has been completed. The series, as I recall was originally to have debuted this past winter, but was pulled and put on hold until Palisades was ready with their all-new Micronauts line. I have heard little news since, although I do recall hearing that the line was still in development a while back. In fact, while I could be imagining it - I swear I recall seeing the prototype for the new Acroyear earlier this year...

plasticfetish
09-15-2003, 10:43 PM
As I've always heard it, several pieces from the Microman line were included as part of the Mego Micronauts line...
Yeah, that's basically it. For the most part all of the figures, except the aliens, were remade by Mego from Takara's original figures. The only significant difference being that the Micromen figures say "Takara" and/or "Japan" on them and the Mego ones say "Mego Corp." and "Hong Kong." Mego switched around some of the accessories on some of the figures also.

Actually, those two waves were only rereleases of some of the original Micronauts figures, and were never intended as Palisades new Micronauts line, which as I understand are still in the works ... In fact, while I could be imagining it - I swear I recall seeing the prototype for the new Acroyear earlier this year...
Yeah, that's pretty much how I understand it ... after a while they intended to start introducing "all new" figures into the line. Up until now, they have been doing never before seen color variations of the basics and some super rare figures. All of their past problems aside, I'm still rooting for them to work out the bugs and put out new figures ... I'd love to see vehicles and play sets as well, but only if they can get the quality issues fixed for good.

Likewise, I'd love to see Takara expand on this new Microman line ... it'd be great to see what else they can come up with.

JediTricks
09-16-2003, 12:09 AM
Here's my thread on these figures:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20458

BTW, didn't mention it there, but I finally got the BOTP/Gatchaman/G-Force figure (which a lot of collectors are calling "Ken" and "Mark" so I'm not even bothering to choose a name ;)) and Ninja & Gunner, which are all totally awesome. Ninja has these 2 itsy bitsy throwing star accessories that peg onto part of the armor. I still haven't found Commander yet, and my local comic shop raised the price on these to $10 each but still sold out of 'em all.

Microman is where part of Transformers spawned from.

Micronauts from Mego became very different from the Microman line of Japan and even switched to a different scale - they share little in common but lineage at this point.

plasticfetish
09-16-2003, 01:45 AM
Heck, I've checked my local comic book shop a few times ... they've never gotten the new Microman figures in. Oh well.

And you know that "Ken" is the Gatchaman name and "Mark" is the BOTP name right? I'd pick "Ken" ... considering that it's a Japanese toy. But, I'd simply like to see one at all really.

Microman is where part of Transformers spawned from.

Micronauts from Mego became very different from the Microman line of Japan and even switched to a different scale - they share little in common but lineage at this point.
Yeah, Transformers ... the original bunch of them anyway ... came from the Diaclone line. Diaclone being Takara's attempt at blending their own "mini cyborg" idea with Popy's (now Bandai) diecast robot ("chogokin") thing. Thankfully Hasbro came along and gave the line a boost when it started to fail, helped it to evolve.

Diaclone was an evolved version of the Microman line ... simply smaller cyborg type robots to fit the new transforming vehicles. (Smaller figures, means selling more vehicles, playsets and accessories. Same reason Henshin Cyborg ... a G.I Joe knockoff ... evolved into Microman.)

Pretty much all of the Micronaut line came from Takara's designs. The cyborg figures ...Time Traveler (M-101), Space Glider (M-211), Galactic Warrior (M-221), Pharoid (M-161), Galactic Defender (M-171) ... as well as Acroyear (A311), Acroyer 2 (A301), Biotron (Bioman), Microtron (Microrobot) and Baron Karza (Geeg). Most of the Micronaut vehicles came from the Microman line. Just about the only truly original Mego things, as far as I can remember, were those module type playsets (which I loved, and I remember using one to make my own Bespin as a kid) and the alien figures. Also there were some weird and rare vehicles and variations that came out near the end of Mego's life. Marty Abrams was an incredibly smart guy ... it's just amazing to think how much time I spent as a kid playing with his toys. Of course we can't forget about his one big mistake ... missing out on the chance to produce toys for a certain science fiction movie that came out in the late '70s.

There's a great Japanese book about Takara's toys ... Henshin Cyborg to Microman to Diaclone and then some of the off shoots. The book is called "The Official Guide of Takara SF Land" ISBN4-06-330086-2

I've seen it on eBay a few times ... you might also find it in the toy and collectibles section of your local Japanese bookstore. It comes with a great CD-ROM of vintage Japanese television commercials for the toys also. Super stuff ... here's a pic of the cover.

RooJay
09-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Since these are being imported through Diamond, your comic shop would definitely be able to order them for you. Diamond may have sold through their initial stock, but they do back order, and I certainly wouldn't put it past them to restock if they sold well enough. You may even be able to order direct through Diamond's website.

plasticfetish
02-03-2004, 04:36 AM
Bringing this one back up front...

There's been a lot of toy anniversaries lately, and now it's the big 30 for Microman. Here's a link to the Takara Hobby site ( www.takarahobby.com ) and their latest page on what's coming out next in the Microman line.

http://www.takarahobby.com/kaihatsu/0402microman/index.html#

Makes me drool.

mabudonicus
02-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks PF!!
Now that's what one would call "action figures".... you could use them as a base to make painfully awesome custom stuff......

plasticfetish
02-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Yes, those things are crazy. If you go back and look at the earlier takarahobby pages, they show plain, flesh colored bodies that I'd assume are for customizing (?) or whatever.

After I posted above, I saw that Diamond has all of these new figs up for preorder... $6.99 a pop!

http://previews.diamondcomics.com/products/toys_models/feb_04/06_microman.html

Let's see... print page... bring to local comic book shop...

JediTricks
02-04-2004, 10:06 PM
I want the Batman Microman figure so badly. These look awesome too, it looks like my MM2003 figures are about to get some company, I don't know why Takara doesn't import these themselves and offer them at mass-retail.

RooJay
02-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Toys just don't get anymore awesome than that. Hey...did my pants just get tighter? :eek:

jjreason
02-07-2004, 11:49 PM
Im trying to locate these on ebay, with no success. Searches of Microman are only turning up vintage Micronauts and Japanese small Transformers. The only one I've found so far that matches this line is the Gotchaman Mark or Ken, which Im looking at buying from a Canadian vendor I've dealt with before. Can anyone offer up some help with key "search words" that might help me locate the 4 Micromen from 2003 (Spy, Commander, Ninja, etc.).

Thanks for any help, I'm just blown away by those new pics. Unreal. JT, where did you hear about a BatMan figure???????

plasticfetish
02-08-2004, 12:42 AM
You may still be able to get them though Diamond... same as the new ones.

You might also try this place in Japan...

http://www.hlj.com

...they ship pretty much all over the world.

jjreason
02-08-2004, 02:27 AM
I will check out the site, and will pester my local comic shop geek to see if he can swing anything. Thanks very much.

JediTricks
02-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks for any help, I'm just blown away by those new pics. Unreal. JT, where did you hear about a BatMan figure???????Figures.com forums had a link to this:
http://tfkenkon.com/heading/microman01.jpg

RooJay
02-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Figures.com forums had a link to this:
http://tfkenkon.com/heading/microman01.jpg

I'd like to see it too, but that link ain't workin'. ;)

RooJay
02-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Im trying to locate these on ebay, with no success. Searches of Microman are only turning up vintage Micronauts and Japanese small Transformers. The only one I've found so far that matches this line is the Gotchaman Mark or Ken, which Im looking at buying from a Canadian vendor I've dealt with before. Can anyone offer up some help with key "search words" that might help me locate the 4 Micromen from 2003 (Spy, Commander, Ninja, etc.).

Thanks for any help, I'm just blown away by those new pics. Unreal. JT, where did you hear about a BatMan figure???????

The newest series only recently became available to order through Diamond. Your local comic shop will be able to oder them for you, no problem. Of course, I'm pretty certain that they've not yet been shipped to the states - the latest Diamond Previews catalog is (as always) for items shipping three months from now. Hope that helps!

jjreason
02-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Any tips on getting the older one? I don't have any, and would like to go back and get the first 5.

RooJay
02-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Sorry, I was only able to grab the one figure myself as I hadn't even realized they'd shipped. They all went pretty fast what with the five dollar pricetag and all. I'm afraid you might be stuck with Ebay as the only serious option.

JediTricks
02-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Take that URL, put it in the address bar, add a 2nd slash to it right before the file name, then hit enter. It will work this way, they just don't want you to click the link, they don't want folks linking to their files (which isn't what I wanted to do anyway, but the forums turn URLs into links automatically).

jjreason
02-13-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm afraid you might be stuck with Ebay as the only serious option.

That's not a problem as far as the buying goes, I've had good luck on there for the most part. My concern is actually trying to find the bloody things... are there any other search words I should try besides "Microman" or "Micro Man"? I've tried "Takara" and a few other things, but I'm not seeing anything close to what I'm looking for. If you get the chance to look on there and can find any, please advise me of how you did it.

That Batman figure is actually making me want to weep - it's SO wicked.

jjreason
02-23-2004, 10:10 PM
One of the banners on SSG today announced that ActionHQ was taking preoders for the Microman Batman figureS. Holy moly, I didn't know they'd be cranking out a whole line. I didn't manage to get over there to check it out, but I'll post up the links if there's anything great to see.

JediTricks
02-24-2004, 05:42 PM
The image I linked to earlier shows a classic Comics-style Batman and a Microman-style Batman with chrome head and techy wings and whatnot.

plasticfetish
05-06-2004, 03:34 AM
Oh, oh, oh, oh... the latest Microman series hit my local comic book shop.

Microman "Master Force" is amazing! There are four cyborg Master Force heroes and four AcroyearX villains. I picked up three of the heroes: "MF2-01 Skymaster Hayate" and "MF2-03 Divemaster Roberto" and "MF2-04 Automaster Ryan." I also grabbed one of the villains: "AX-13 Acrovoltech."

It was 30 years ago this year that Takara first introduced the Microman line. It was nearly that long ago (maybe 28 years) that I first saw a Micronaut toy, which was Mego's licensed version of the line. I remember being stunned by the tiny clear plastic figures. Amazed by the design, the detail, the figure articulation and just how versatile these toys were. The whole idea was that each figure and every vehicle could be combined or assembled to form an infinite number of variations. Those toys were very fun. They stand out in my mind today as being some of the most entertaining toys ever made.

I own a number of vintage Mego Micronauts, I own a bunch of Takara Microman vintage reissues, I own probably way too many Microman 2000 toys... and now I'm adding this most recent micro effort to my collection. So how do they compare? They're an amazingly appropriate and "modern" addition to this historic line of toys. They have amazing articulation, they come with tons of shiny chrome parts and accessories, they're fun to fiddle with and they look just as cool as any Microman toys made during the past 30 years.

I'm still playing around with them right now, but I'll try and shoot some pics of the ones that I have some time soon. I'm no doubt gonna go back for the other four that I don't have yet, 'cause they're too good to pass up. If you can get them through your local comic shop (and Diamond I'd suppose) then I recommend heading down and grabbing or ordering a set ASAP.

LTBasker
05-06-2004, 03:45 PM
So..what's with the Batman figure being $15? Thought these things were supposed to be $5-7 after import?

JediTricks
05-07-2004, 10:02 PM
I hadn't heard a set price on the Microman Batman figure, is it a Diamond price or just grey market speculation price?

PF, glad you found 'em, how much were they? My local comic shop was asking $10 each, which is $4 more than what they were selling last year's models for (until they realized they could get... you guessed it, $10 each, and jacked up the price on the last handful they had laying around), so I passed hoping to find cheaper. I have heard of prices as low as $7 each, but haven't actually seen evidence. I really want Skymaster, Automaster, Divemaster, and all 4 Acroyears.

LTBasker
05-07-2004, 10:25 PM
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/micro_menu.asp

$15 each on Batman. :( That bites...I really don't think it's worth it.

JediTricks
05-07-2004, 10:56 PM
I think the reason they're charging so much is because that figure wasn't imported by Diamond, they probably had to deal with shipping charges and import tariffs. Plus, let's face it, this is a hot piece and it's going to be more expensive to get yer hands on. But it's one of these items anybody into action figures is going to want, not just Microman or Batman fans, so you have a lot more competition trying to get this import beauty.

plasticfetish
05-08-2004, 05:45 PM
PF, glad you found 'em, how much were they?
My shop had them for $6.99 which is what they're supposed to be selling for.

The only other thing I can say about these, is that they're not for anyone who's a little afraid of chipping chrome parts. When you snap the bits and accessories together, you're bound to do a little damage -- there's no avoiding it, but nothing major.

---

Oh, and... that "lady figures" set looks great!! Thanks for that link LTBasker. I had no idea those were coming.

JediTricks
05-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Microman 2003 had a lot of chrome, but not much chipping (yet), so I'm hoping the same can be said about these - I still wish Takara didn't chrome this stuff though, vac metal looks cheap and knockoffy to me.

$7 a piece is a steal, I gotta find me a comic shop with that price.

RooJay
05-10-2004, 09:01 PM
I now have a complete set of these guys minus Acrobiom - who was oddly missing from the case I ordered - and they are frikkin' incredible! My favorite is Divemaster Roberto for his awesome dive bell accessory (I just love the way he pilots that thing with his hands behind his head!), followed closely by Automaster Ryan whose motorcycle accessory is the coolest (he loses out to Roberto only because the lack of foot pegs on his bike's pedals makes positioning him riding it a bit more of a challenge). Acroscorl ain't no slouch either with his wicked giant claw armor thingies!
The upcoming "lady" figures look pretty amazing too!
Oh, how I would love to see some licensed import versions of the the old Marvel comics Micronauts characters done in this line - especially Bug and Marvel's version of the original Acroyear!!!

plasticfetish
05-11-2004, 03:13 AM
Yeah, Roberto's my favorite also. I think it's the "2001" kind of thing with that pod looking accessory.

Oh, how I would love to see some licensed import versions of the the old Marvel comics Micronauts characters done in this line - especially Bug and Marvel's version of the original Acroyear!!!
That's a great idea. I wonder how hard it would be for them to get Marvel and Abrams to go for it? I cringed when there was chatter about Palisades doing the comic book figures, but having Takara do them would be really cool.

plasticfetish
05-11-2004, 11:56 PM
I now have a complete set of these guys minus Acrobiom - who was oddly missing from the case I ordered
That's really weird. Today I picked up three more -- Acroscorl, Acrocleve and Grounmaster Alan (all awesome BTW) -- and Acrobiom was no where to be found. Now that I think of it, there wasn't any there last time either. It looks like he's been held back for some reason.

---

JT, if you're still looking, my local shop (Amazing Comics in L.B.) still has a bunch for sale. As of today, I'm pretty sure that they still had one of each... minus Acrobiom.

JediTricks
05-12-2004, 11:19 PM
If that's the shop I'm thinking of, man, I haven't been to Amazing Comics in half a lifetime. Anyway, thanks for the mention, but Long Beach is way too far for me right now, what I'd save on the figures I'd probably burn up on gas and drivetime.

I've heard that some import sets aren't coming with Divemaster Roberto, maybe Takara is monkeying with us.

Reefer Shark
05-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Hey folks... I've folded for the microman.

I just got back from a vacation in New York, and I managed to find 5 at $6.99 ea while I was there at a few random comic stores. I got all 4 "Acros" and the Divemaster Roberto. I'm surprised at how much I actually like Acrobiom... I thought he looked kinda weak in the package, but after I busted him out I really enjoyed putting him together and messing with him! I think My favorite of the bunch has to be Acroscorl, he looks very evil and scary.

They are just awesome!! And I really wish I could've found the other 3 Masterforce figures (especially Skymaster and Automaster). And now I especially wish I would've pre-ordered the Batman when I had the chance... probably too late to get one of those at a decent price now.

Reefer Shark
05-20-2004, 01:23 AM
I think I'm starting to get hooked on these...

Went down to the local scalper convention "Frank-n-Sons" today, and found some interesting Microman figures. I scored the following:

Grounmaster: This guy is another one that I didn't think would be that cool, but after opening it I really like it.

Gachaman & Volter (from '03 collection "Micro Action") These are pretty cool too. I don't know who Volter is, but I do recognize Gatchaman from the Battle of the Planets/G-Force/Gatchaman shows. He comes with a bunch of acessories, Volter only comes with the extra hands. Both are really cool looking. Wish I could've found the other "Micro Action" figures

four different Japan TRU exclusive "material force" figures: just plain yellow/red/flesh/white colored microman bodies in tiny cardboard boxes. These are actually really neat. They come with the extra hands, and a little drawing diagram to design your own microman. Looks like I scored all but the black one going by the little included catalogs.

Microman "Kicker" A pretty cool looking figure with a Transformers logo on his chest. He was in a little cardboard box too, and only came with a big silver sword (no extra hands unfortunately).

I also saw the Batman (comic style and flight gear). They looked great, but the dealer was asking way to much for them. It's all good though, I ended up finding an online store that still had pre-orders available. I pre-ordered them for $12.95 each, can't wait to get 'em!

Anyways, here's a pic of that Transformers "Kicker" figure (with a couple of buddies). Does anyone know if this is an actual character in the Transformer stories? I don't know jack about him, but I thought he looked neat:smoker:

plasticfetish
05-20-2004, 03:25 AM
Hey, cool!

Gee, maybe there's a reason for me to go to F&S after all. That's cool that you found some of those "blank" micro bodies. I was kind of hoping to find those some day.

As I understand it, "Volter" is a character from a Takara released Playstation video game, "Tatsunoko Fight". All five of the figures from this set (Gachaman, Casshan, Tekkaman, Polymer and Volter) are in the game. Kind of a cross promotional thing with these figures.

Anyways, here's a pic of that Transformers "Kicker" figure (with a couple of buddies). Does anyone know if this is an actual character in the Transformer stories? I don't know jack about him, but I thought he looked neat:smoker:
Yeah... Kicker's a Transformers Energon human character. He comes bundled with another TF (can't remember which one) in a Japanese set. I wouldn't mind scoring that one either.

Yeah. These suckers are really addictive.

JediTricks
05-21-2004, 04:18 AM
Kicker's sword there is actually made up of 3 "Minicons", human-sized transformers that are their own faction. Here, it's called the Energon Sabre, originally the team made up the Star Sabre in TF:Armada.

And Kicker also comes chromed in a 2pack with a chromed version of Deluxe-level Optimus Prime (this OP is not being released in the US at all, according to Hasbro, even though in Japan he's not only in that 2pack, but also a regular Deluxe figure).

Reefer Shark
05-21-2004, 11:01 AM
That's cool, I'd love to get an all-chrome microman. Bet that sucker goes for big $$$.

PF,
If you go to F-n-S, I found those blank bodies at the last booth by the side door (over by the Magic card area, and wrestling ring). It's an all import booth with lots of gashapon and such.

I got lucky with those... I noticed them in a bag in the back of the booth. The dude said he brought them for someone else, but decided to sell me a set since he had so many in the bag (they weren't cheap either, $10 a pop :greedy: )

Reefer Shark
05-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Hey,
I noticed that they have some new Micromen listed for pre-order at BigBadToystore. They've got pics of the machine ones and Devilman, but not the others yet.

Some pretty interesting character choices here. We'll get a microman Spider-Man, that's pretty cool!

BM-01 Machine Miller (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pre956)
BM-02 Machine Stinger (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pre955)
BM-03 Machine Tiger (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pre957)
BM-04 Machine Kong (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pre958)
MA-09 Devilman (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pre959)
MA-10 Spider-Man (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pre960)
Cat Woman (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pre961)
Batgirl & Batman (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pre962)
Devilman & Silence (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pre963)

JediTricks
05-29-2004, 12:31 AM
OH MAN!!! Why can't Diamond or some other (read: better) distributor get those licensed figures out here in the states, or get these non-licensed Microman figures released at one of the major retailers?!?

plasticfetish
05-29-2004, 01:55 AM
Oh. Wow, that sounds great! Spiderman? Very nice.

Those micros with the big vehicle things look really cool... gonna need to track those down. Gonna need even more shelf space for micros now.

Just scored Acrobiom. Seems a few hit the pegs at my local shop at last. It's great. Complicated and a bit crazy with that tail weapon thing, but looks super and it's fun to play with. So that makes the whole set of 8 for me. Bring on this "BM" series now!

Reefer Shark
05-29-2004, 11:16 AM
OH MAN!!! Why can't Diamond or some other (read: better) distributor get those licensed figures out here in the states, or get these non-licensed Microman figures released at one of the major retailers?!?
Man.... no kidding.. After cleaning out Frank-n-Sons, I cant find any of these at any of my local stores. My local comic shops haven't even heard of them! I still need Skymaster and Automaster myself....

I have a feeling that these are going to get much more popular though, and we will probably see some better distribution in the future (hopefully).

RooJay
06-02-2004, 10:22 PM
I finally got my Acrobiom figure too. Seems he was just left out of the case I bought and was still plenty available through Diamond at the time. I wasn't sure I'd like him after first seeing him in person (he's got one huge noggin!), but I bought him anyway and he turned out to be pretty awesome! I have him posed with his snake tail holding his body up off the ground and he looks great!
Those BigBadToystore pre-order figures...I'll believe 'em when I see 'em. Hopefully it's true though. I'd love to have all the Batman figures and Spiderman would be great also! I have my retailer friend tracking down some of the blank figures for me; I plan on making a few superhero customs. Green Lantern will be my first project.

JediTricks
06-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Picked up all the good guys but Groundmaster Alan from Suncoast the other day, they had 'em for $7.99 and that beats the $9.99 my local comic shop wants for 'em so what the heck. They're all pretty neat, though I like the accessories on last year's figures better than these suit/vehicles. The chrome has been a bit of a problem on some of the accessories here, with several pieces chipping off already, but the figures are awesome none the less. If they had been made w/out chrome though, I wouldn't worry about breaking those tiny little pieces.

All in all, seems like this line just continues to kick arse!

RooJay
06-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Wow, you must've got hold of a bad batch; I've had mine for at least a month now and not a single piece has chipped chrome.

Reefer Shark
06-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Suncoast huh? That's cool, for some reason I didn't think they would show up there. I'll have to check my local stores when I get some $$$.

I've had a little bit of chipping, but very small pieces. Almost too small to notice. Other than that, the only problem I've had was that when I tried to turn one off the claw arms on my divemaster. It twisted the little post right off, so no more right claw/arm :cry: .

JediTricks
06-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah, these are little chips I'm having with too, glitter-sized stuff, but it still bugs me.

That sucks about your Roberto's mechanical claw, I thought I was gonna bust the ball-joints off that sucker when attaching those pieces to the main unit, and thought I was gonna destroy the handlebars on the motorcycle because the chrome wouldn't allow one bar to slide all the way in so I had to pull it out and sand it slightly.

RooJay
06-28-2004, 04:47 PM
Nobody's seen these yet?! I'm surprised no one beat me to this one - these pics have been online for quite a while now...

Batgirl:
http://www.action-figure.com/ImageBank+index-id-43905.html

Catwoman:
http://www.action-figure.com/ImageBank+index-id-43906.html

Just concept art so far, but they look pretty cool already!

plasticfetish
06-29-2004, 02:35 AM
Ooooh. Yeah, I read about those some place (probably here :) ) but haven't seen any pics of any kind. Very nice!

Just sucks that they'll be so hard to find.

JediTricks
06-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Very cool! I wish these were mock-ups though, I have a hard time picturing toys from the concept art, mainly because the art always seems way cooler than the actual toys they produce. ;)

LTBasker
06-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Now if only they weren't gonna about around $15 after import...I haven't heard of anyone else importing them but basic stores, so that means $$$$ :(

Reefer Shark
06-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Looks pretty cool. I'm glad to see that it's the comic version of Catwoman, for some reason I thought it was going to be the lame Halle Berry version. Now I might actually pre-order her. Batgirl looks cool too, but I probably wont get her becuase I really cant afford to buy a second Bat-Man....

I'm pretty curious about the Spider-Man figure too, cant wait to see some pics of that.

RooJay
06-30-2004, 07:06 PM
There's still a fair chance that Diamond will pick them up for US distribution. The other recent figures seemed to do so well for them - these would surely be instant sell-outs (and would hopefully send a message to those fools at Mattel). There is still hope...

Reefer Shark
07-01-2004, 09:00 PM
They've got a pic up of Spider-Man over at BigBadToyStore (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pre960).

Looks pretty cool, Spider Man is a given for this line too. Now I'm curious what kind of accessories will come with him?

RooJay
07-04-2004, 03:30 AM
Cool. He'd be much cooler if Toybiz hadn't already done plenty of super-poseable Spideys. Still, I'm itching to get one in this scale regardless. Having been raised on 3 3/4 inch scale figures I think they'll always have a place in my heart.

plasticfetish
07-26-2004, 05:13 AM
Well, first up, the Takara booth at Comic-Con was selling (for $5) an exclusive figure -- see pics below -- and boy was I surprised. :sur:

I managed to tell the rep from Takara just how great the new line was, and how everyone was crazy for more superhero stuff, as well as the other figures. I also told him how I've pretty much loved everything that they've done for the past 30 years, and he was surprised when I brought up "Diaclone" in relation to the next question that I asked him...

I asked the person from Takara, as well as Hasbro's Transformers people, about the possibility of ever seeing the two lines -- Microman and Transformers -- merge in some kind of way. Both times I was told no. Hasbro (the marketing person I think) said, and I'm paraphrasing, that Microman type figures weren't a familiar enough thing in the states, and that it wouldn't be something that they'd want to pursue.

Now... I know that Hasbro's gonna be busy with pushing the TF feature film figures and that's where most of their concentration and effort is going to be, but just the same, Microman figures have a long history here in the US, as well as other countries outside of Japan. Micronauts were a huge money making hit in the '70s for Mego, and they inspired just about every other small scale figure line that's come out since. I think it's wrong to underestimate their potential -- but, ehh, what do I know?

Anyway, the DC Direct booth had Microman Batman figures on display also. They were really enthusiastic about the toys, and I asked about distribution and if we'd be able to really find them at retail. They said that they'd be out there in the smaller retail stores and easy to find. I asked them again -- if they were sure -- and they said yes. Probably in the comic shops as well as maybe places like Suncoast and Tower. They couldn't name a retail price, but I'm gonna guess that they're around the same amount ($10 and under) as other Microman figures.

Reefer Shark
08-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Man..... they've got a ton of new Microman pre-orders listed at BigBadToySore.com:

Predator Set of 4 (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pr097)
Alien Warrior & Alien Queen (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pr098)
Kingidora from Godzilla (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pr077)
Microman & 1st Gen Godzilla (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pr078)
Godzilla & Kingidora (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pr079)
AL-21 & AL-22 Acro Ladies (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pr080)
AX-21 & AX-22 Phantom & Golem (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pr081)
Megaro & Jetjaguar (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pr082)
Military Force Set of 8 MF-01 to 08 (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/toystan.asp?Queryid=pr083)

Just when I was planning on dropping the line (due to $$$). I honestly don't think I'll be able to resist the Aliens/Predator figures though.

JediTricks
08-26-2004, 01:52 AM
Wow, too bad no pics, but they all sound pretty wild. Apparently, the Batman microman figs will be released in the US after all! :D

LTBasker
08-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Most of the sites that I've seen them for pre-order now say $10.95 since DC Direct has planned to import them. Alot better than the $18.99+ that the regular Batman was pushed up to! While it still seems unsettling for $10 on a 3" figure, sounds like a good Christmas list candidate to me. ;)

Any pics anywhere of the Microman Godzilla? I think my mom might be really interested in that. :eek:

RooJay
08-26-2004, 10:41 PM
The Batman Microman figures are currently available for order from Diamond Previews through your local comic shop!

These new figures sound like a dream come true also! I can't wait to get my hands on some super-poseable Microman Predators and Aliens. wonder how big the Alien Queen will end up being. Hopefully they actually plan on using a larger sized body to keep her in scale. I'm also pretty interested in what their Godzilla will look like; he's so much different from everything else they've done in the line so far.

plasticfetish
08-27-2004, 01:37 AM
Predator Set of 4
Alien Warrior & Alien Queen
Kingidora from Godzilla
Microman & 1st Gen Godzilla
Godzilla & Kingidora
AL-21 & AL-22 Acro Ladies
AX-21 & AX-22 Phantom & Golem
Megaro & Jetjaguar
Military Force Set of 8 MF-01 to 08
That's some amazing stuff there! I can't wait to see what all of this stuff ends up looking like. (I almost hope that the Godzilla ends up being an MM figure in a small rubber suit -- they did it for the "Combat Joe" line.)

I tried digging up photos over at the Takara site, but didn't find any of these (I don't think.) I did find some other cool stuff...

http://www.takarahobby.com/kaihatsu/0408microman/0002.html

Check out the pic of that MM inside the big chrome suit. Wow!

JediTricks
08-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Wow, that looks really really cool! Takara needs to get a main market importer on these, STAT!

plasticfetish
11-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Heads up, the ladies are here!

Found Micro Lady and Acro Lady figures at my local comic shop yesterday. Picked up "Commanderlady Diane" (ML1-01) and "Acrovena" (AL-11) -- they're, as usual, completely amazing.

More later after I pick up the other two figures.

plasticfetish
11-29-2004, 03:51 AM
Looking around, I found this (http://www.action-hq.com/cgi-bin/action-hq/oth001993.html) and these (http://www.action-hq.com/cgi-bin/action-hq/oth001992.html) pics of the "Alien" Microman figures. Honestly, I can't think of anything toy related that I'm more excited about. (Except maybe the Microman Godzilla (http://www.takarahobby.com/kaihatsu/0411microman/index.html) figure that I saw a fuzzy picture of over at the Takara site.)

Now... give me a Vader Microman figure, and I can die happy. :)

-----

BTW, I've got all 4 Micro/Acro Lady figures now, and they really are amazing.

mabudonicus
11-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Yes... yessssss... there is also a Microman Spider-man figure, but I think Liscensing has kinda quashed that over here
But Jet Jaguar may make up for that, I've been waiting on pics of these for months :beard:

RooJay
11-29-2004, 05:35 PM
What'd I tell ya folks?! Are these the coolest toys ever or what? Looks like they're going the man in costume route with the Godzilla figure from the looks of those fuzzy pics. Probably the coolest way to go about it anyway - a super-poseable Godzilla figure would still be fairly limited in articulation anyway. I mean, let's face it, the big guy's not exactly known for his dancing ability. Still would've been nice either way, though.
Good to see Takara's not shy about giving us completely new sculpts on this line! I half expected the Alien Warrior figure to be the standard Microman body with the Alien head, new hands and feet, and an attachment for the spine and tail. That's something any of the big american companies would have done if they were producing this line. What am I saying?! The big american companies would never be producing a line this cool to begin with! :stupid:
Can't wait to see the Predators!

plasticfetish
11-30-2004, 01:41 AM
Yeah... I'm really interested to see their Predator figures also. :)

Looks like they're going the man in costume route with the Godzilla figure from the looks of those fuzzy pics. Probably the coolest way to go about it anywayYep, and it's also kind of a tribute to their '80s "Combat Joe" figure w/ Godzilla suit... let's see if I can find a picture...

mabudonicus
11-30-2004, 05:51 AM
I wonder if they'll make a Spectreman, that would rock :D

It's too bad those Gojira pics are so fuzzy, I bet it's going to be awesome.... the 2 pack Megaro and Jet Jaguar should be a killer :beard:

Oh, and about the Predators, one of the 3 that were announced has been discontinued, just a heads up

plasticfetish
12-01-2004, 01:02 AM
I wonder if they'll make a Spectreman, that would rock :DI could happen. Check out this page...

http://www.microforever.com/2004Thunderbirds.htm

It mentions the Godzilla figure, and puts it as part of this same "EX" series. I could see Spectreman (they'd have to do Dr. Gori also!) and a whole bunch of others being done this way.

I'm gonna guess that the Godzilla pics are fuzzy on purpose. They're probably holding off for a bit before they show them.

plasticfetish
12-15-2004, 04:48 AM
Takara has put up picks of the upcoming Godzilla Microman figures...

http://www.takarahobby.com/new/0412kiguru-microman/index.html

Looks great! can't wait!

plasticfetish
12-15-2004, 05:08 AM
Oh WOW! Here's a photo that I found on this...

http://www.takarahobby.com/kaihatsu/0412microman/0002.html

...page.

Amazing!

mabudonicus
01-11-2005, 06:57 AM
Another heads-up. apparently the "Final Wars" version fo Gojira in microman form has been cancelled/discontinued...
That pic of megar/jet jagaa and gojira/king ghidorah is awesome, thanks PF, I totally want to score the megaro one....
From other pics I've seen, it looks like the figures will be made of that nice soft rubber and will fit a microman just like the original costumes, which is sorta cool- hopefully if the Gojira ones do well Takara will get some more liscenses (why can't I spell that word???) it would be wicked to get some of the Ultra brothers done right, as well as spectreman (gokinosaurus or maybe that stupid catfish/mole crossbreed- that has to be the stupidest daikaiju I've ever seen, but if it existed I would be driven to posess it)
:beard:

plasticfetish
01-23-2005, 04:19 AM
it would be wicked to get some of the Ultra brothers done right, as well as spectremanI don't see why they couldn't or wouldn't do these. Heck, you can buy Henshin Cyborg with an Ultraman suit right now in Japan, so I'd assume the Micro version will come some day. (I hope!)

And speaking of awesome, here's what my local Suncoast Video had on the pegs...

mabudonicus
01-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Those are sweet, the Catwoman one is fantastic.....
Henshin Cyborg has pretty much everything you could want, I've noticed, but I am more of a 3 3/4 kinda guy..... Pretty much anything would beat the 6 inch "vintage" Ultraman figs, though, the ones whose feet get so bent just from standing there that you gotta prop them up.... and what good is an Ultraman if he can't do a single Ultra-attack pose???
Still, a Stormtrooper like this would be the ultimate action figure...... too bad on that..... :beard:

plasticfetish
07-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I think this may count as some kind of a milestone moment or something, but I walked into KB toys today and found Microman Biomachine figures hanging on the pegs. Priced at a very reasonable $9.99 I might add. (That price sure beats $14.99 at my local comic-book shop.)

After 30+ years Takara finds it's way to mass retail here in the U.S.

So... go buy 'em! :)

JediTricks
07-03-2005, 11:42 PM
I was wondering when these things were going to come out, they've been talking about the US retailer release for months now without 1 item.

plasticfetish
07-04-2005, 02:02 AM
Well, it is KB. They could've been sitting on these for ages--not putting them in the stores. They aren't putting them where you can easily find them either (not that this really applies to the merchandising wizards at KB.) I found them hanging in at the back of the store wedged between some clearanced Hulk figures and something else, (knowing KB, it was probably 6 pegs of old Robocop "Pudface" figures.)

I hope these turn up in other places. I'd hate to see this line die in the toy graveyard that KB has become... only to be sent to Big Lots purgatory.

JediTricks
07-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Geez, Takara seems to be really trying to put a hurting on my wallet with all these new upcoming Microman releases:
http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=82&show_article=72
(I am a sucker for MM and motorcycle toys, vehicles rule!)
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAK64916 (damn you Mattel for not being half as cool as this!)
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAK64917 (not even the "real" Ra's Al Ghul and yet this one blows my mind)
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAK59214 (makes me wish Takara did a second MM line that was exactly the same as these except twice as large)
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAK59215 (if only we could get Takara to stop using chrome, they'd rule the world!)
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAK59215 (ditto)
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAK59216 (those weapons I bet are super breakable, I'd love to find out in person though ;))
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAK59212 (love those accessories!)
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAK59213 (hey look, she gets her own Predator action figure to play with :D)

kool-aid killer
08-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Does anybody know of stores here in the states that carry Micromen figures? I really like the AVP figures they recently put out, along with the Godzilla ones that came out a little earlier. I was just curious about whether there were any stores i could walk into (like a Suncoast) and expect to find these or if i would have to order online.

plasticfetish
08-09-2005, 12:48 PM
At this point, I've seen Microman figures at my local comic book store -- distributed through Diamond/Previews. I've seen a few at Suncoast, and I'd guess (hope) that they're likely to get the Alien/Predator stuff. I've also seen some of the MM "Biomachine" stuff at K*B toys.