PDA

View Full Version : What ranks would be in a Bounty Hunter path?

JediTricks
09-16-2003, 03:19 AM
Suppose we were adding a new rank path of Bounty Hunters, what would the titles of each rank be? Here are some of the ideas I've come up with in the past hour or so, along with a few forumite suggestions: Petty Thief Loose Cannon Mercenary Marauder Spice Smuggler Hutt Bodyguard Hired Gun Imperial Puppet Shadow AssassinRemember that we have several steps, so Petty Thief isn't going to be the same level as Marauder.

2-1B
09-16-2003, 03:44 AM
"Llama Su with Clone Youth" . . . minus the "Llama Su with" part. :crazed:

I like those ideas JT, with the exception of 'Imperial Puppet' - sure, WE know that they can be puppets but to the person along that path, he/she would not see him/herself in that light . . . the bounty hunters in progress would see themselves as getting over on the Empire by taking their money to do a job. Not the other way around. :D

Pendo
09-16-2003, 04:24 AM
Nice list JT :), but I agree with Caesar about the Imperial Puppet. If it was moved back on the list it would be better :).

When the Bounty Hunter ranks come, I may just stray from the Jedi :sur:.

PENDO!

Rogue II
09-16-2003, 08:08 AM
Suppose we were adding a new rank path of Bounty Hunters, what would the titles of each rank be? Here are some of the ideas I've come up with in the past hour or so, along with a few forumite suggestions: Petty Thief Loose Cannon Mercenary Marauder Spice Smuggler Hutt Bodyguard Hired Gun Imperial Puppet Shadow AssassinRemember that we have several steps, so Petty Thief isn't going to be the same level as Marauder.

This (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=261822&postcount=31) was my idea. As a bonus, I threw in some ideas for the Smuggler Ranks as well.;)

Kidhuman
09-16-2003, 08:47 AM
These were mine (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=261796&postcount=26)

mabudonicus
09-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Vandal as the low one, then thief... mebbe start with tough guy?? How bout "grifter"??

Mebbe ne'er do-well??

Sabacc hustler???

how bout the high rank being "Perfect Clone Stock" or "Army Builder" :D as a joke in a joke kinda thing???

Anakin2121
09-16-2003, 09:07 AM
In games like Hitman2 and the Soldier of Fortune series, they have a nice list.

Try something like:

-Inept bounty hunter wannabe
-Gun-toting thug
-Hired gun
-Mercenary
-Mass murderer
-Professional
-Silent Assassin

El Chuxter
09-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Clone
Journeyman Protector
Scum
Sarlaac Food
Dengar's Best Man

LTBasker
09-16-2003, 06:17 PM
Ehh, maybe

-Basic Thug
-Total Brute
-Paid Killer
-Wanted in every system
-Fearless Hunter
-Merciless Assassin

Mandalorian Candidat
09-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Clone
Journeyman Protector
Scum
Sarlaac Food
Dengar's Best Man

LOL! Freakin' funny!

On a serious side I proffer the following:

-Cameo podrace observer
-Cheesy action figure model
-Sequel cast participant
-Unemployed film rejectee

vulcantouch
09-16-2003, 11:48 PM
kidh: "These were mine"
rog2: "This was my idea"
-sorry guys, mancandi beat you both to it (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1615) (see that thred's post 8), after which i came up w/the coolest track titles (post 9) :)
vt

JediTricks
09-17-2003, 02:17 AM
A big part of the problem here is that there are absolutely no established bounty hunter ranks - real or SW - to base this off of. Even with the Sith rank path, I had 2 or 3 items to start with.

Caesar, "clone youth" doesn't make sense to me when 99.999999% of the clone youths don't become Bounty Hunters. ;)

I liked "thug", but it needs something else I think to put it in the SW realm.

Oh, and I'm adding "Mysterious Drifter" to my list as a possible first rank.

2-1B
09-17-2003, 02:26 AM
Caesar, "clone youth" doesn't make sense to me when 99.999999% of the clone youths don't become Bounty Hunters. ;)

Oh.
Oh really? :mad:

Well, let me inform you that 99.999999% of the clone youths don't become Dengar's Best Man, either. :mad:
Yet I don't see Chux's idea getting criticized. :evil:

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

I like that "Mysterious Drifter" idea, you should keep that as an opener. I think it's a nice companion to "Angry Loner" from the Sith Rank. :)

jjreason
09-17-2003, 03:28 AM
What about incorporating some of the more well known hunters' species into the mix? "Trandoshan", for example, would be an awesome rank to hold - one that only fans would recognize for what it was.

2-1B
09-17-2003, 03:40 AM
Cool Reason ! ! ! Trandoshan would rule ! :)

How can we incorporate IG-88? Maybe the end rank could be "CPU of the second Death Star" ? :D

I'm serious about Trandoshan, Rodian, etc.
There's a good one. Rodian would be a good early ranking. Whether it's because you got blown away under the table or because you shot and missed from 3 feet away . . . either way . . . YOU SUCK. :crazed:

JediTricks
09-17-2003, 03:48 AM
Well, let me inform you that 99.999999% of the clone youths don't become Dengar's Best Man, either. :mad:
Yet I don't see Chux's idea getting criticized. :evil:Yeah, but I didn't say I was using that one either. That's what you get for being first to reply. :p

Mysterious Drifter came to me while reading kidhuman's ideas, only problem is it sounds way cooler than the other ranks at that level. :D

Besides Rodian, how would you determine a rank though?

LTBasker
09-17-2003, 04:10 AM
Hey now, Rodians kick butt, Greedo was just a poor represenative! We've got cool Rodians (Rodian Jedi in figure form) to sweet loving Rodians (lovey-dovey couple in the senate scenes).

Rodians kick, that Greedo sucked. :p

mabudonicus
09-17-2003, 09:08 AM
hah.... chux and caesar, I'm touched... CPU of 2nd death star and best man.. it's too early in the morning for high comedy like that :D

I like mysterious drifter.... wanna make it sound less "cool"?... "misfit", mebbe... whatabout "schoolyard Bully"?? "unprincipled Wretch"...

What about "con man".... "henchman" would work for a more intermediate level.....
EDIT- what about "Hired Goon/Gun"??

EricRG
09-17-2003, 07:21 PM
What about some of the old AD&D names for assassins? I've always liked Footpad, Cutpurse, Cutthroat, Rutterkin, and Waghalter.

Darth Sidious
09-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Well, if you don't want Mysterious Drifter to be as cool, maybe just Drifter?

I can't really think of any others right now though...

Kidhuman
09-17-2003, 07:32 PM
Mysterious Drifter came to me while reading kidhuman's ideas,

Woo-hoo, I influence people :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

What about Rogue II's smuggler ideas. I think those are pretty cool as well

Rogue II
09-17-2003, 09:03 PM
If you are going to have a Bounty Hunter scheme, you have to start off as an Orphaned Clone. :)

JediTricks
09-18-2003, 12:25 AM
How about "Aimless Drifter"? It's even sort of a pun. :D

I'd like to concentrate on "Bounty Hunter" path for now, especially making a rank path with a specific and obvious order.

Lord Malakite
09-18-2003, 12:50 AM
Aimless Drifter
Petty Thief
Loose Cannon
Lone Mercenary
Space Marauder
Hutt Bodyguard
Hired Gun
Imperial Puppet
Mysterious Assassin

LusiferSam
09-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Street Thug
Paid Informant
Hired Gun
Hutt Bodyguard
Loose Cannon
Bounty Hunter
Feared Assassin
Mandalore Warrior

Well here's my list of ideas. I really think Bounty Hunter needs to be in the list somewhere. And Mandalore Warrior was a bit of a last minute though for the top rank. By the way I love most of the ideas you guys have come up with. Thanks for the inspiration.

JediTricks
09-19-2003, 12:21 AM
BTW gang, there are only 6 ranks in the path.

Kidhuman
09-19-2003, 12:34 AM
I thought we were a brood more than a gang!!!

Lord Malakite
09-19-2003, 12:52 AM
Six only. I'd go with this then.

Aimless Drifter
Loose Cannon
Lone Mercenary
Hutt Bodyguard
Imperial Puppet
Mysterious Assassin

Bel-Cam Jos
09-19-2003, 07:51 PM
If it's a bounty hunter path, would "bounty hunter" actually show up as a category then? There's no "Sith" category, no "Jedi" one either. They have other terms included.

How about?
Quicker-Picker-Upper
Hunts Catsup
Fruitful Bounty
Mutinous Bounty
Bounty Hunted
Catfish Hunter

Hee hee... :D

JediTricks
09-19-2003, 10:49 PM
Well, we have "Jedi Knights" and "Sith Lords", so I think Bounty Hunters would be in there... somewhere.

Rogue II
09-19-2003, 11:44 PM
So....can I still be Catfish Hunter (http://baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/hunter_catfish.htm) ? I used to have his baseball glove when I was a kid. Sadly, I bet 95% of the boardmembers don't know who he is. I didn't realize he died in '99. :cry:

And just so I stay on topic, I've revised my suggestions.

Orphaned Clone
Cantina Brawler
Imperial Snitch
Mercenary
Assassin
Bounty Hunter

But, if you don't like it, some combo of Lord_Malakite's and LusiferSam's list works too. :D

JediTricks
09-20-2003, 12:48 AM
"Imperial Snitch", that one definitely caught my attention. :D

Kidhuman
09-20-2003, 12:58 AM
Okay, so far I like:

Orphaned Clone
Aimless Drifter
Cantina Brawler
Imperial Snitch
Mercenary
Bounty hunter

stillakid
09-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Holy mackeral, you guys are missing the obvious Star Wars reference: SCOUNDREL!

5 entries found for scoundrel.
scoun·drel ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skoundrl)
n.
A villain; a rogue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Origin unknown.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
scoundrel·ly adj.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
[Buy it]

scoundrel

\Scoun"drel\, n. [Probably from Prov. E. & Scotch scunner, scouner, to loathe, to disgust, akin to AS. scunian to shun. See Shun.] A mean, worthless fellow; a rascal; a villain; a man without honor or virtue.

Go, if your ancient, but ignoble blood Has crept through scoundrels ever since the flood. --Pope.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

scoundrel

\Scoun"drel\, a. Low; base; mean; unprincipled.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

scoundrel

n : a wicked or evil person [syn: villain]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

scoundrel

scoundrel: in CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary

Source: On-line Medical Dictionary, © 1997-98 Academic Medical Publishing & CancerWEB

JediTricks
09-23-2003, 02:09 AM
Ok, what do you folks think of this?

Aimless Drifter
Petty Thug
Imperial Snitch
Mercenary
Bounty Hunter
(level 6 yet unnamed)
On the 2nd one, I am currently torn between "Petty Thug" and "Petty Thief". Also, I came up with "Hutt Errand Boy" as an early rank but it came off a little high-concept.

The reason I'm not sold on most of these assassin and smuggler ranks is that they seem too specialized for bounty hunter ranks, more like a career change than a pure step-up.

Kidhuman
09-23-2003, 07:57 AM
Insert Orphaned clone boy as the first level and the you would have 6, otherwise they seem fine to me.

Rogue II
09-23-2003, 08:35 AM
Would "Crime Lord" be too far out of the way for the top Bounty Hunter spot? How about sliding "Wanted Criminal" somewhere in the middle? I was also trying to think of a way to make Jango Fett sound cool but "Clone Template" and "Headless Corpse" just didn't seem to cut it.;)

I'll try to re-work the Smuggler. It may take a while.

stillakid
09-23-2003, 11:24 AM
Ok, what do you folks think of this?

Aimless Drifter
Petty Thug
Imperial Snitch
Mercenary
Bounty Hunter
(level 6 yet unnamed)
On the 2nd one, I am currently torn between "Petty Thug" and "Petty Thief". Also, I came up with "Hutt Errand Boy" as an early rank but it came off a little high-concept.

The reason I'm not sold on most of these assassin and smuggler ranks is that they seem too specialized for bounty hunter ranks, more like a career change than a pure step-up.

#6? ...uh, scoundrel...

jjreason
09-23-2003, 04:10 PM
1. Drifter
2. Thug
3. Rodian Accomplice
4. Trandoshan Hunter
5. Mandalorian Warrior
6. Hutt Crime Lord

Exhaust Port
09-23-2003, 04:14 PM
#6? ...uh, scoundrel...
did anyone hear anything? :D

Teeska Mon Eebon
09-23-2003, 08:05 PM
THis is so far sounding cool but using the clone orphane and clone stuff is a little too specific... Boba isn't the only bounty hunter out there... I mean unless Bossk, IG-88, 4-Lom, Zuccuss, Aura Sing, and Dengar are all bounty hunters that didn't start out as clones (At least I don't think so...) and they have all gained a large fan base so to use clone it seems way too specific

vulcantouch
09-24-2003, 12:40 AM
. . .and since jt's specified that six is the magic number, here's how i'd winnow my list:
1 "random element"
2 "cashiered soldier"
4 "loose cannon"
5 "nonaligned freelancer"
6 "autonomous lawgiver"

i also like the "drifter for hire" a few of you have suggested, as it acknowledges the leone-eastwood spaghetti-western inspiration for sw's bountyhunters, so that could be #3 :cool:
again, the whole point of a bountyhunter track would be to emphasize one's neutrality and rejection of the jedi/sith dichotomy, and i think all 6 of mine not only straddle that line w/style, they avoid getting too species- or background-specific :cool:
"assassin", "brawler", "bodyguard", "informant", "smuggler" and "thief" are too specialized to convey the versatility a formidable freelancer would offer. "mercenary" and "scoundrel" don't have that problem but they're both too predictable and unmemorable- just what a notorious bountyhunter shouldn't be :evil: meanwhile "crime lord", "puppet" and "imperial snitch" are too bad-side-specific and would rule out earning money doing amidala's dirty work :kiss:
vt

JediTricks
09-24-2003, 12:47 AM
I think I'm more confused than when I started. ;)

darthvyn
09-24-2003, 01:44 AM
"mercenary" and "scoundrel" don't have that problem but they're both too predictable and unmemorable- just what a notorious bountyhunter shouldn't be :evil:

i think that would qualify them as lower echelons in the ranking system... angry loner and moisture farmer are pretty predictable and unmemorable...

stillakid
09-24-2003, 12:33 PM
did anyone hear anything? :D

Uh, apparently not. :(

But I thought the definition for Scoundrel pretty much summed up everything one thinks about when pontificating about a Bounty Hunter. That and the obvious dialogue reference from the film itself should make it a shoe-in. :confused:

Or isn't it "cool" enough sounding like "dirtbag" might be?

Kidhuman
10-28-2003, 11:36 AM
What going on with the Bounty Hunter Path? Has it been decided? :confused:

vulcantouch
10-28-2003, 01:04 PM
still: "isn't (scoundrel) 'cool' enough sounding?"
-uh, apparently not :happy: i appreciate it when a person answers his own quextion, saves me the trubble :evil:
vt

stillakid
10-28-2003, 03:06 PM
still: "isn't (scoundrel) 'cool' enough sounding?"
-uh, apparently not :happy: i appreciate it when a person answers his own quextion, saves me the trubble :evil:
vt

It's a public service I provide. Usually I already know what the answer from the peanut gallery will be by looking at the lowest common denominator and extrapolating from there. :)

DarthChuckMc
10-29-2003, 02:29 AM
It's a public service I provide. Usually I already know what the answer from the peanut gallery will be by looking at the lowest common denominator and extrapolating from there. :)

Lowest common denominator is where it's at man. Get with the times.

Kidhuman
02-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Is this ever gonna happen?

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 01:01 AM
mebbe. ;) still waiting for Steve on this.