PDA

View Full Version : What sort of Astromech is THIS??!!!

JEDIpartner
09-16-2003, 11:43 AM
This is on the official site's wallpaper for astromech droids. They showed a couple R5 types as well as the Imperial Forces 4-pack styled R4 droid. Then there's this one...

Anyone got a clue??!!

Rogue II
09-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Aparently, the Ewok witch doctor did the shrunken head thing to one of the Rebel R2 units. That R2 unit was responsible for changing the Ewok celebration scene at the end of ROTJ: SE.:D:crazed:;)

JEDIpartner
09-16-2003, 01:59 PM
I just can't figure out why this thing ended up on something that was released by the official site... it's all so confusing...

dr_evazan22
09-16-2003, 06:50 PM
It's BTL-JC! Just like Artoo is R2, he's Beetlejuice! His close friends just call him Beet though.

Darth Jax
09-16-2003, 07:55 PM
its the other half of the droid from the jedi starfighter.

plasticfetish
09-16-2003, 08:09 PM
I just can't figure out why this thing ended up on something that was released by the official site... it's all so confusing...
Perhaps hackers are to blame.

Jargo
09-16-2003, 09:40 PM
looks like a really bad fan art pic to me. Some veryearly CGI Frankenstein monster of an R2-D2. Looks likethey managed to get half done and forgot to finish the legs.

JediTricks
09-17-2003, 12:25 AM
its the other half of the droid from the jedi starfighter.
I fear you are correct, I remember something claiming we'd see that in Ep 3 too.

jeddah
09-17-2003, 03:55 AM
That has been on the wallpaper from SW.Com for nearly 2 years so I am not sure that we will see it in EP3. I can ask the R2builders when I get my pc online at home and see what the consensus is. Don may be able to tell us exactly which.

In the meantime, I think it may be something to do with the strange 3-pie-segment R2 unit in Wattos shop behind Anakin (You only see the top sections and it certainly looks squat). Failing that, it looks like styrene and foam core mock up to me, especially considering the colours.

jeddah

JEDIpartner
09-17-2003, 01:07 PM
That would be much appreciated. I was wondering if there was some sort of EU history with this weirdo looking astromech...

JediTricks
09-17-2003, 10:22 PM
That has been on the wallpaper from SW.Com for nearly 2 years so I am not sure that we will see it in EP3. I can ask the R2builders when I get my pc online at home and see what the consensus is. Don may be able to tell us exactly which.

In the meantime, I think it may be something to do with the strange 3-pie-segment R2 unit in Wattos shop behind Anakin (You only see the top sections and it certainly looks squat). Failing that, it looks like styrene and foam core mock up to me, especially considering the colours.

jeddah
Ah, very enlightening. When it comes to matters of astromechs, I have no problem believing you since you're building your own. :D

jeddah
09-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Okay, so far we've identified the following (thanks got to Walther Ishikawa from the R2 builders group :) )

I think it's a sort of non-articulated mock-up, made for Mos Espa
streets. I coudn't identify it on the movie, but I found two shots of that
droid in the net, one on Jedinet.com (links below) and the other one on the
official website. It could be the same droid at Watto's junkyard (both have
hemispherical domes...), but I'm not sure.

The reference to the hemispherical dome is a technical one; R2s have an egg-shaped rather than hemispherical dome. Anyway, I've posted a comparative pic below and the links too;

http://www.jedinet.com/cgi-bin/galleries/multimedia/gallery.cgi?action=view&link=Prequel_Trilogy/Episode_I/Locations/Tatooine/Mos_Espa&image=jlmosespa009.jpg&img=16&tt=

http://www.starwars.com/episode-i/feature/19971007/index_me1.html

Hope this helps some :D

jeddah

JediTricks
09-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Jeddah, I fixed your link and checked out the pics. That does look similar, so that seems like the reasonable assumption. The dome is weird as hell, it looks like they took a standard R2 dome, rearranged the various stuff, and cut it off above the upper line... and it's not even that straight a cut.

jeddah
09-23-2003, 03:47 AM
Yes, and it also looks like it has polio. Horrible.

jeddah

JEDIpartner
09-25-2003, 03:56 PM
Thank you for sorting it out for me. Maybe that was an R2 unit that Anakin was trying to make when he was, like, five or something.