PDA

View Full Version : WA-7 ... good service!

plasticfetish
09-16-2003, 03:33 PM
OK. First some photos.
There's one of the front, side and rear.

plasticfetish
09-16-2003, 04:24 PM
I didn't really know what to expect from this figure. Honestly, my hopes weren't too terribly high and though I'm up for just about any and every droid figure, I didn't know if I'd care about this one. As it turns out, it's a reasonably well done and pretty cool looking toy.

It looks very good. The sculpt and all of the texture and weathering given to it are super. Little dents and scratches make it happen! The paint is pretty good, I'm not sure that I'm really wild for just how matte looking the golden areas really are. The photos on the card back (obviously of a prototype figure) seem much more golden. I guess I should just assume that the days of really using chrome metallics on droid figures is over huh?

It feels fair. Thin spindly figures all tend to be a bit delicate, and this one is no exception. For what it is, I think it's put together pretty well. If it had been done with softer or cheaper plastic, then the toy would have been awful ... as is, it's pretty solid and I'm happy.

It plays surprisingly well! Ball socket shoulders, ball socket neck, pivoting (sort of) waist and the slightly funky wheel at the bottom give it some value. I'm really into the fact that you can tilt the head up and down to make it look like "she's" talking. There's a little peg on the right hand (not the left like the card back shows) so she can hold the tray ... that works and looks cool. Then, there's the stand so that you can make this figure ... well, stand up ...

<rant>I don't know for sure how it works at Hasbro. Does one person design the figure and then the duty of designing the add-ons, like this stand, are pawned off on someone else? If so, I really think that it's time for them to find a new person to design this kind of stuff. From the photos, it's hard to tell just how it works or just how barely functional it is. The wheel sits loosely on the groove and then you wedge a bit from the back up and into the wheel well. It tends to pop the wheel off and is extremely wonky. Over time, I can see the wheel and figure being warped to where the stand doesn't really work anymore. Not the best solution for this problem ... not very well thought out or designed. I'm frankly pretty surprised that this is the best they could come up with. Again, who ever it is that's in charge of making sure that things work on a mechanical level ... needs to be spanked. Hasbro's in Rhode Island right? Why not wander over to the Rhode Island School of Design and snatch up a good industrial design student or two? Might help to fix a lot of the other mechanical problems that we've seen with figures in the past.</rant>

OK, done. Other than that, the stand looks pretty nice.

To sum it up. A mighty nice little droid figure after all ... and well worth buying.

Kidhuman
09-16-2003, 06:48 PM
Thanks PF. I hoped it was a nicely made figure. I have been eyeing it since the first pics of it. the only problem is now finding it.

jjreason
09-25-2003, 07:01 PM
Well, my figure has moved to "Pending" on the Kebco site, so I guess she'll be here soon. I too have been excited about her since first seeing pictures - mainly because of the completely original sculpt. Should be a good one.

bobafrett
09-26-2003, 12:22 AM
I got mine yesterday. It took several attempts to figure out just how the whell was supposed to sit in the notch. I had problems with her falling forward, the wheel kept popping out duue to short pegs designed to hold it to the figure. It also took me awhile to get the tray to sit properly on her hand. Not quite sure on this one yet. Overall I give it a C in my gradebook. I think Hasbro could have done better with as long as they have been making figures.

plasticfetish
09-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Yeah, the stand is a big handicap. The more you fiddle with it, the worse it gets also.

jedibear
09-26-2003, 02:37 AM
I like this figure. The stand is a bit of a pain & it's obviously from the figure's delicate & fragile nature that she's made more with the collector in mind. More like a figure that would have fit into the POTJ banner a few years back. My only niggle is the tray. I ended up posing her holding it in the other hand and using one of the clear rubberbands to hold it.

She rates **** out of 5...

Jaff
09-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Well WA-7 was my least favorite figure out of this wave for two reasons. The first is the annoying wheel. It is too fragile, and too easy to pop out making playability almost impossible. The Wheel could have had a simple axel to prevent this problem. Though the sculpt is nice her tray has a hard time resting on her hand. You can use her thumb to fit in a circle of the tray, but the bendability of her thumb causes the tray to lean. All in all she is a nice figure, and since she is just being displayed on a shelf I don't mind her as a statue!

stillakid
09-26-2003, 11:38 AM
My girl is listing to the right.

I used some scotch tape as a temporary way to get that tray to stick in her hand.

Good looking figure but the execution of it lacks.

InsaneJediGirl
10-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Just got mine the other day and shes tilting to the right.Tried putting her hand in her hip for stabalization,but that didnt work too well.This was a figure I was looking foward to,but it falls below expectations.

C-

JEDIpartner
10-21-2003, 10:46 AM
I'm clearly not having the problems anyone else is having with this figure. I've been fiddling about with mine for the last 5 days and she's still fine. I did, however, heat up the lower portion of her "leg" with a hair dryer to get the bend out of it. I also pinched the wheel guard a little closer together as it cooled for "added insurance" and popped the wheel back in. She's been great, great, great!!!

I have one gripe and that's the fact that the peg on her hand is mcuh smaller than originally designed and that she can't hold the tray very well.

B+

stillakid
10-21-2003, 11:30 AM
She should have been cast in stronger plastic or metal. The wheel should have been put in ala a Matchbox axle.

No quality control at all over there in RI.

plasticfetish
10-21-2003, 01:56 PM
The wheel should have been put in ala a Matchbox axle.
Yeah ... that's a fact. But, there's probably some safety issue having to do with a kid ingesting the sharp little metal axle pin. (Why it would be any worse than a kid busting a car and eating the wheels I have no idea.)

On mine, the tray stays on just fine ... "luck" of the draw I suppose. And she's still standing just fine ... but I haven't touched her at all in a while.

Sidiously Darth
10-21-2003, 10:38 PM
I've been one of the lucky ones on this figure. She stays in her stand, stands erect & holds that tray. The only problem I have is the service. She hasn't greeted me yet since I pulled her out of the package. :frus: That tip just keeps getting smaller and smaller. :crazed:

JediTricks
10-21-2003, 11:51 PM
Right after I posted on the forums yesterday that my troubles with her stand had ended, she came tumbling down. I've finally given up on using this stand as intended, so while I figure out a new stand, I've devised a way of using the included stand to keep her upright: I stood it on its side and now have her holding herself up against it. :D

vulcantouch
10-23-2003, 11:40 PM
. . .i still haven't decided whether i like it enough to keep :p so your reviews have been kinda helpful, thanx :) meanwhile i Might want just her stand, so if anyoen doesn't want theirs checkout my accessotrade offer (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=276426&postcount=15), maybe we can do biz :)
vt