PDA

View Full Version : Padme's Royal Starship: AOTC

stillakid
09-16-2003, 11:58 PM
One of the few bright spots in AOTC was that opening sequence when we see Padme's chrome ship, reminiscent of a bomber, fly through the clouds with the familiar drone of prop engines.

Please make this ship. I like what you did with the TPM version and I have great confidence that this AOTC ship would be just as awesome...and it would probably sell more as it is far far cooler.

Alas, I say all this knowing that I'm pi**ing into the wind, but it doesn't hurt to ask, does it?

Kidhuman
09-17-2003, 12:12 AM
No never hurts to ask, but it would be cool to have

Battle Droid
09-17-2003, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't mind to have it, and the Yacht.

I think there's a better chance of getting the Yacht though since it's smaller.

JediTricks
09-17-2003, 04:57 AM
I would much rather have both of these in Action Fleet form than in 3 3/4" form where they'll have their lines messed with.

stillakid
09-17-2003, 08:51 AM
I would much rather have both of these in Action Fleet form than in 3 3/4" form where they'll have their lines messed with.

The same way they did justice to Dooku's sailer? :sur:

JediTricks
09-18-2003, 12:38 AM
Nice! No, I mean real Action Fleet. :p

RussUAE
09-18-2003, 08:47 AM
I go with stillakid. I would love to get either the AOTC starship or Padme's Yacht.

We can dream that one day it'll happen. The Starship from The Phantom Menace was (and indeed remains) my favourite SW vehicle made my Hasbro.

JEDIpartner
09-18-2003, 11:34 AM
I go with stillakid. I would love to get either the AOTC starship or Padme's Yacht.

We can dream that one day it'll happen. The Starship from The Phantom Menace was (and indeed remains) my favourite SW vehicle made my Hasbro.You know, people complain about this toy all the time and I cannot figure out why. I was certainly NOT going to buy it for $125.99 but I jumped on it as soon as it went to $49.99! This ship was amazing. It took some good engineering to figure out how they would make this a multi-level play piece without having to amp up the scale on it. No, it wasn't completely movie accurate but it was good enough for imaginative minds like mine. I can't see them making another ship of similar "style" and scale since the first one fared so poorly. It's a nice dream, though... *sigh*

stillakid
09-18-2003, 07:08 PM
You know, people complain about this toy all the time and I cannot figure out why. I was certainly NOT going to buy it for $125.99 but I jumped on it as soon as it went to $49.99! This ship was amazing. It took some good engineering to figure out how they would make this a multi-level play piece without having to amp up the scale on it. No, it wasn't completely movie accurate but it was good enough for imaginative minds like mine. I can't see them making another ship of similar "style" and scale since the first one fared so poorly. It's a nice dream, though... *sigh*
As good as the TPM one was done, I wish they wouldn't have blown there wad on it and just waited for the AOTC version. I just saw pictures of it again and, by far, it is soooo much cooler. Less "sci-fi-y" and more reminescent of a WWII bomber.

JediTricks
09-19-2003, 01:28 AM
JP, the Ep 1 royal starship started at $99, not $125, that's how much I paid for mine (the day it came out too). I think if the Royal Cruiser had played a much larger part in Ep 2, then maybe that could justify making a toy as big as this, but it barely has 5 minutes in the film. The Ep 1 Royal Starship, by comparsion, is in the film almost 75% of the time.

stillakid
09-19-2003, 03:23 PM
JP, the Ep 1 royal starship started at $99, not $125, that's how much I paid for mine (the day it came out too). I think if the Royal Cruiser had played a much larger part in Ep 2, then maybe that could justify making a toy as big as this, but it barely has 5 minutes in the film. The Ep 1 Royal Starship, by comparsion, is in the film almost 75% of the time.

Just sitting there for most of it...with a special cot all made up for "What-Happened-To-My-Part?-Obi Wan." :D

I know what you're saying, but I'd hate to see a decision made based on screen time. While it certainly didn't play that huge of a role in the film, the design (in my opinion) is far superior and could offer a similar range of play options, including exploding exterior panels so "you and your friends can recreate the scene from the exciting new movie, Star Wars Episode II, Attack of the Clones!"

JediTricks
09-19-2003, 11:23 PM
Since the line isn't GI Joe from the '80s, the larger vehicles are made in proportion to their screentime - you don't see a Trade Federation Battleship in 4" scale because even though it had several major scenes in TPM, Hasbro is banking that parents and kids won't recognize it enough or care enough to recreate only a few scenes. Sure, it'd be nice if Hasbro pulled a GI Joe and did stuff like the USS Flagg or the Defiant Launch Complex for Star Wars, but they ain't because the market has very little room for such risks these days. That's what made Action Fleet so great, they're all $10, any good design won't be a risk on a parent's wallet or store shelfspace.

stillakid
09-19-2003, 11:30 PM
Since the line isn't GI Joe from the '80s, the larger vehicles are made in proportion to their screentime - you don't see a Trade Federation Battleship in 4" scale because even though it had several major scenes in TPM, Hasbro is banking that parents and kids won't recognize it enough or care enough to recreate only a few scenes. Sure, it'd be nice if Hasbro pulled a GI Joe and did stuff like the USS Flagg or the Defiant Launch Complex for Star Wars, but they ain't because the market has very little room for such risks these days. That's what made Action Fleet so great, they're all $10, any good design won't be a risk on a parent's wallet or store shelfspace.

Yes, I suppose you're right. I wonder if any of the scale model companies would consider something like this? Heck, I don't really care if my action figures will go in it. In fact, I'd actually prefer a decent sized accurate reproduction. My hesitation over Action Fleet is that they wind up looking a lot like cheap renditions. What they'd do to that shiny chrome is open for debate.

JediTricks
09-20-2003, 12:42 AM
My hesitation over Action Fleet is that they wind up looking a lot like cheap renditions. What they'd do to that shiny chrome is open for debate.Hey now, them's fightin' words! The Action Fleet Royal Starship and Series Alpha Royal Starship (concept design) are both beautifully chromed and have near-perfect lines. I highly doubt Ertl is going to reproduce any model with this much chrome, much less chrome this nice. Then again, these were products from Galoob, so I guess your reservations about how Hasbro would handle it are valid. :(

Have any of the US model companies shown any interest in Ep 2 vehicles of late?

BTW, this isn't Padme's royal starship in Ep 2, it's the Naboo Royal Cruiser, I believe.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2003, 03:51 PM
This ship is cool and all, but I just can't see it ever happening. From this scene, they first need to make Cordé, a different Naboo Royal Guard, and Captain Typho's green astro droid.

JEDIpartner
09-22-2003, 09:55 AM
JP, the Ep 1 royal starship started at $99, not $125...
Oh, there was a little more luck in your area, then. I had only seen it for that ridiculous price here in the Cleveland area. *shrug*

Anyhow, I do agree with you on the part of producing toys per the actual screen time and playability factor. There wasn't really enough "cool" potential for the Trade Federation ship versus something like the Death Star or Imperial Star Destroyer.

jeddah
09-26-2003, 07:18 AM
I agree with JT,

This ship would look far cooler in AF format than Saga. With the obvious proviso that it should be done by Galoob personnel :) The RS from EP1 was such a perfect model and divine to look at. I love the Naboo Bomber from Ep 2 and could flank it with a few MM N1s for effect.

jeddah

hawkeye
11-06-2003, 05:50 AM
i dont care as long as they have retractable landing gear.