PDA

View Full Version : Inbound Hurricane

Exhaust Port
09-17-2003, 11:14 AM
I was just wondering if any of the forum members are going to be getting hit by the Hurricane. It looks like it's going to be passing over eastern OH/western PA (albeit a lot weaker) by Saturday depending on the track. We probably won't get the high winds but I'm sure we'll be floating in the heavy rains. We've already lost one building downtown thanks to the rain this summer, something like this should prove interesting for the building left standing. I've got to make sure that I have extra batteries for the digital camera.

Exhaust Port
09-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Just in case you haven't seen a plot of Isabel's track here's a picture.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/AL1303P.GIF

Rogue II
09-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Speaking on behalf of the 20+ members who participate in the MD/VA/DC thread, we should all catch a decent part of the storm, especially the Virginia members. Last I read, DC and Baltimore are going to get 3-6 inches of rain, while VA and West VA could get 6-10 inches.

I live just east of DC and my backyard usually floods during normal storms, so we'll see what happens Friday.

Just hope for the best for our friends in North Carolina.

Exhaust Port
09-17-2003, 12:03 PM
My brother just moved to Baltimore last week and is preparing for the worst. 2 years ago he lost his car to a hurricane/flooding in Houston. It seems Mother Nature is trying to teach him a lesson. Bad Karma? :)

scruffziller
09-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Just in case you haven't seen a plot of Isabel's track here's a picture.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/AL1303P.GIF
Wow, all the way up into Canada.:crazed:
I never realized a hurricane could reach so far.

Exhaust Port
09-17-2003, 01:59 PM
Yeah, but with the exchange rate it'll only hit there with 80% force.

scruffziller
09-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Yeah, but with the exchange rate it'll only hit there with 80% force.
True, I could tell that from the map. But it always seemed to me that it would completely stop where the green would end there on the map. Do alot, or even most hurricanes reach that far(in the yellow) or is this one extremely bad. Like compared to hurricane Andrew.

Exhaust Port
09-17-2003, 02:59 PM
I think what the map is showing is were the center of the low pressure will track. Obviously the eye of the hurricane won't last very long over land but the low pressure will still exist. You can assume then that with the low pressure that the hurricane rain will be brought with it. So looking at the map, Ohio is in the 10-19% range which means that is the chance that center of the low pressure can pass over us. Then you can assume that a majority of the rain will be associated along that path and decrease/fan out from that point.

I think most hurricanes have long reaching effects in land, even the weaker storms. The biggest decrease will be seen in wind speed leaving the rest of the country to suffer under the tons of rain. The flooding is what ends up killing most people which is why even the land locked need to watch out and prepare for the passage of the low pressure.

Exhaust Port
09-17-2003, 03:01 PM
Also, my 80% force comment was a joke about the US/Canadian exchange rate. It seems my humor was lost there. :D

Rogue II
09-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Also, my 80% force comment was a joke about the US/Canadian exchange rate. It seems my humor was lost there. :D

I thought it was pretty funny :D

Looks like I don't have to go to work tomorrow or Friday. The DC Metro System (train and bus) is shutting down as well...and since that is my ride to work. My wife went to 4 stores to day and all of them were sold out of batteries. :eek:

Kidhuman
09-17-2003, 05:13 PM

I got that one too and had a chuckle out of it.

Hope I dont get it too bad where I am in Va. Well the map just loaded and I am gonna get drenched in it.

Darth Jax
09-17-2003, 08:28 PM
if a hurricane has a bright side, it can be forecasted ahead of time so you can prepare to ride it out or leave the area. leaving in tornado alley there's always an unknown touch of danger when even a thunderstorm is in the area.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
09-17-2003, 09:20 PM
School's cancelled for tomorrow, since Isabel's eye is in direct route to the DC Metro area.

Off topic, but somewhat relevant- There's a 2nd Hurricane on the way of the DC Metro area... in the form of a wrestler! The Hurricane and the rest of the WWE RAW Superstars hit Washington, DC with the fallout from WWE Unforgiven! :D :crazed:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Where I live in WNY, Isabel's center will apparently pass right over our area, albeit in weaker form. It'll spoil the first day of the weekend.

We've had a lot of rain this spring and summer and we do not need anymore. The good news is that forecasters believe she will be just a one day event, and will pass quickly out of our area.

One thing that gets me, is the amount of coverage dedicated to this storm. When it was a catergory 5 hurricane, it lead the newscasts even though she was days away from landfall. That I can understand. But now that it has considerably weakened, she is still causing a lot of hype, even though it is not near the powerhouse it used to be. The amount of coverage has drove thousands of people to stock up on needless supplies and even evacuate the areas they live in. While that might be good precaution wise, I think it is a little bit of overreacting.

Exhaust Port
09-18-2003, 04:45 AM
The first of the outer bands have started making land fall. It looks like we're another 10-12 hours before the eye hits. Be safe out there.

InsaneJediGirl
09-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Not going to get hit here,luckly missed FL this time:)

LBC,The reason it continues to make headlines is the fact that a storm such as this has not been seen for 70 years.Second,I would guess it because Northerners dont experience hurricanes or tropical storms very often.

Exhaust Port
09-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Talking to my friend in DC, it seems the big stuff hasn't made it there yet. They cancelled all the flights after 1:00 PM for her airline out of Dulles because of the inbound weather. We only canceled a few flights to Norfolk and a couple other airports. I spent the morning at work pulling up the weather down there on the computer and Norfolk seems to be getting the brunt of it with gusts already pushing 50 knots (65 mph). It looks like we might be getting our rain in OH early tomorrow morning. I've got my digital camera ready with spare batteries to take pictures if any of the usual spots flood.

Exhaust Port
09-19-2003, 07:20 AM
Well my brother lost power in Baltimore and I guess it's probably going to be out for a few days. We're still getting rain in OH but I don't think the flooding they worried about will happen. Of course I could be wrong as the center of the low pressure has still to pass.

Anyone else suffer under Isabel?

mabudonicus
09-19-2003, 08:14 AM
It's not as sunny here as it could be....

It IS raining a little bit here, but ya wouldn't know it was the worst storm ever from what ya can see right now.... I guess it could get worse, but I figger it's lost all of its oomph by now/here

Kidhuman
09-19-2003, 08:45 AM
Got some heavy winds and strong rain but that was about it. Didnt lose power or anything, just some internet connection problemsas the weather must of messed with phone lines.

Rogue II
09-19-2003, 09:13 AM
We lost power a few times and our back yard is covered in small branches, but nothing serious.

Exhaust Port
09-19-2003, 09:29 AM
Well, that's all good to hear.

JEDIpartner
09-19-2003, 10:16 AM
Glad that we are getting positive reports from those affected...! Property can be easily repaired or replaced; People cannot...

My friend in D.C. sent me this pic in an e-mail this morning. It's a very dramatic shot of the storm as viewed from an inbound tanker... It's good to be in the "cheap seats" sometimes!

Exhaust Port
09-19-2003, 10:26 AM
WOW, that is an awesome/dramatic picture JEDIpartnr!!!

InsaneJediGirl
09-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Agreed,Very awesome picture:D

Kidhuman
09-19-2003, 11:37 AM
That is a great picture. Iwouldnt exactly call those the cheap seats. More like the 3rd base line on the dugout

mabudonicus
09-19-2003, 11:44 AM
wow that's a CRAZY pic... I always liked being up notrh near a lake when rain came across it towards you... that pic is something else, though
HARD STARBOARD!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Jargo
09-19-2003, 12:07 PM
Is the island of Mighty Joe Young hidden behind that mysterious cloud?
So where is the eye of the storm now? All inland or still off to the coast? Big buggar aint she? Been tracking her on the BBC weather site but it doesn't update often and is only a prediction. Kinda scary though. It's sent a switchblade of rain and wind our way too. From lovely sunny blue skies we got black cloud and rain all day today. I was watching the news the other night and they had a shot from the international space platform looking right down into the eye which was really weird because it looked so huge, just a great big hole in the cloud like milk going down a wash basin plug hole. and it seemed like it wasn't moving at all. very strange.

El Chuxter
09-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Gorgeous pic, JP. :)

So I've not heard a whole lot on the news about one thing: for those of you who can remember Hugo, was Isabel as bad?

Rogue II
09-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Here is the latest on the storm. It is in Canada now. http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/stormdetails.html --www.weather.com is a pretty cool website.

From what I heard, a total of 15 people died in the storm. One was an electrician fixing power lines in N.C. The only other one I heard about was a driver on I-95 in Richmond, VA.

That's a pretty amazing pic, JEDIpartnr.

scruffziller
09-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Wow......................... how ominous....................:zzz:

Dar' Argol
09-19-2003, 09:10 PM
WOW!! That pic is . . . . WOW!!!!

Isabel hit me pretty hard here in South Central PA. Hits were gusting pretty hard, my property looks like a tornado went through it . . but it didn't. I had one big friggin limb smack the house as it broke. Thankfully there was no damage (Good ole Cinder Block Houses!!) but scared the Bejezes out of me. I was standing on the front porch as it happened. Tomorrow I'll get some pics hosted and I'll show you what happened to my trees :cry:

But I still hate them in the fall :mad:

Exhaust Port
09-21-2003, 10:14 PM
It seems that picture of the hurricane aren't quite that. I just found this explaination here:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/isabel.asp

Kidhuman
09-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Still a good pic none the less

Exhaust Port
09-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Very true. I'd be scared seeing those clouds ahead no matter what it really was.

JEDIpartner
09-22-2003, 09:14 AM
Duped by false postings... but, still- don't mess with nature! That is completely amazing and I had to share.

Hope all is well with the clean up and recovery!!!