PDA

View Full Version : I have to tell this story

Darth Cruel
09-17-2003, 11:45 AM
I was in KB Toys yesterday looking for Lord of the Rings figures for myself and Star Wars for a friend. One of the associates saw me looking at the T.I.E. Fighter/Pilot KB exclusive and asking my buddy if it was a variation (as I could have sworn that the one I got from KBToys.com had an insert depicting a hanger bay and not the Death Star trench). He comes up to me and tells me that he too got the hanger insert in the mail and that yes, this is a variation. Then he procedes to tell me about the Jorg Sacul figures that they are recieving at 1 per 100 cases and that they got a case that accidentaly came with two JS's in it.

About this time, my buddy (who is hearing the entire exchange via my cell phone) tells me he knows this guy and he is full of crap (which I was 63% of the way toward figuring out all by myself). Then the guy throws off all the covers to reveal himself as a true liar by telling me that there is a T.I.E. Fighter Pilot variation of Jorg Sacul.

I wonder why people feel the need to create such idiotic stories. The only explanation I can think of is that they are desparate for attention because they are too socially unskilled to develope a friendship.

On the other hand, I did Buy two of the T.I.E. Fighters because I collect errors and there were three of them with the ship packaged upside-down. Now I need to do some research to see if he opened them and turned the ships upside-down himself.

Jedi Teacher
09-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Was he referring to a 3 3/4" fig? There IS a Micro Machines tie fighter pilot that has a removable helmet that reveals George Lucas. I own one!

plo koon 200
09-17-2003, 12:31 PM
I was in KB Toys yesterday looking for Lord of the Rings figures for myself and Star Wars for a friend. One of the associates saw me looking at the T.I.E. Fighter/Pilot KB exclusive and asking my buddy if it was a variation (as I could have sworn that the one I got from KBToys.com had an insert depicting a hanger bay and not the Death Star trench). He comes up to me and tells me that he too got the hanger insert in the mail and that yes, this is a variation. Then he procedes to tell me about the Jorg Sacul figures that they are recieving at 1 per 100 cases and that they got a case that accidentaly came with two JS's in it.

About this time, my buddy (who is hearing the entire exchange via my cell phone) tells me he knows this guy and he is full of crap (which I was 63% of the way toward figuring out all by myself). Then the guy throws off all the covers to reveal himself as a true liar by telling me that there is a T.I.E. Fighter Pilot variation of Jorg Sacul.

I wonder why people feel the need to create such idiotic stories. The only explanation I can think of is that they are desparate for attention because they are too socially unskilled to develope a friendship.

On the other hand, I did Buy two of the T.I.E. Fighters because I collect errors and there were three of them with the ship packaged upside-down. Now I need to do some research to see if he opened them and turned the ships upside-down himself.

Even if he didn't turn them upside down anyone can do so, therefore, the upside down version is worth nothing.

JangoFart
09-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Oh, I love it when "knowledgable" staff try to educate me on various variations, errors, or try to tell me what's "hot" and they can't keep in stock. I had one schmoe at a KB try to get me to buy a Saga Jango Fett because his beard was SLIGHTLY painted lower on his face than the others and, therefore, I could sell it for $100.00 on eBay. I left and the Jango stayed....

I don't know why some folks try to blow things out of proportion like that, but apparently some feel the need.

J

Exhaust Port
09-17-2003, 03:52 PM
Because finding a sucker to buy it helps but $$$ in their pocket. Honesty doesn't sell as much I guess.

JediTricks
09-17-2003, 11:57 PM
DC, might you be mistaking the TIE Fighter's space insert with the TIE Interceptor's hangar insert?

Darth Cruel
09-18-2003, 09:21 AM
DC, might you be mistaking the TIE Fighter's space insert with the TIE Interceptor's hangar insert?

JT - I could (and expect) to be. But I am going to double-check it anyway as I never did get a T.I.E. Interceptor. I am sure I am probably confusing it with either having seen the Interceptor on the shelf, or with another window boxed ship I may have seen or bought.

Turbowars
09-22-2003, 01:55 AM
So you bought a tie fighter because it was upside down? I mean one that is correct for $30 is to high. The tape is easly removable and with care you can open the box. So yeah I bet Mr. KB probably did it. Well maybe not, he's probably to stupid.

Darth Cruel
09-24-2003, 11:24 PM
though this ends up not being Star Wars related, it is related to the overall story.

I am back in the sam KB Toys a few days later and happen upon what I was looking for...a brand new shipment of LOTR stuff...minutes after they stocked it. But of course I notice that the hard-to-find stuff is strangely absent. So I ask the clerk about it and he tells me that he thinks there are more in the back. He went to the back and I did not follow immediately. But when I did, I saw him talking to someone I could not see. I heard him say "Should I give him one of the Gandalfs then?" And then I hear a "No". 2 seconds later, who comes out from behind the door but my buddy the liar. And he tells me that everything has been put out on the floor and that the hard-to-find figures didn't come in the shipment. I took the regional office's phone number and will be having a talk with them.

Turbowars - yes I did buy the upside-down T.I.E fighter as I collect errors as well as variations.

Plo Koon 200 - I don't mind that the error is not worth extra money as I keep my collection for the nostalgia and novelty not to retire on it. And even if I find that I have a piece or two that were changed post-production...it still holds my interest.

Turbowars
09-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Turbowars - yes I did buy the upside-down T.I.E fighter as I collect errors as well as variations.

Yeah I know how it is being an error collector. At the moment I'm putting together my SW room and really can't believe how much stuff I have. I mean listen to this, I not only have the rare variants of figures, but I have crap like 10 EP1 carded R2's with different paint errors and I have to rid of some of this stuff, but it's hard to let go. So far I can fit about 500 figures

kool-aid killer
09-26-2003, 08:36 AM
That sucks to hear. Ive been lied to by employees but nothing like that. Out of curiousity Darth Cruel, why didnt you tell him that you overheard their conversation? I dont know if calling the regional office will solve anything. And now you have to deal with fighting off sneaky employees for the short packed figures.

JediTricks
10-10-2003, 09:36 PM
So you bought a tie fighter because it was upside down? I mean one that is correct for $30 is to high. The tape is easly removable and with care you can open the box. So yeah I bet Mr. KB probably did it. Well maybe not, he's probably to stupid."too". ;)

Anyway, I can personally confirm that some of these are shipping this way, I just bought one at the 30% off "sale" and when I got it home, it turned out to be upside-down, yet it appears to be factory sealed.

Turbowars
10-10-2003, 09:49 PM
"too". ;)

Anyway, I can personally confirm that some of these are shipping this way, I just bought one at the 30% off "sale" and when I got it home, it turned out to be upside-down, yet it appears to be factory sealed. Hay, why dont u go0 throw al me threeds and coret me spelingg.:stupid:

JediTricks
10-10-2003, 11:43 PM
It's only because you used it to 2 times in the one post. ;)

Turbowars
10-11-2003, 09:56 AM
It's only because you used it to 2 times in the one post. ;) thanks teach