PDA

View Full Version : More Spy reports about Tarkin: Tarkin a Republic Commander? More spoilers.

I am Jabba the Hutt
09-18-2003, 09:21 AM
EP3: SPY REPORT: Extreme Makeover
Wed, Sep 17, 03 11:09:13 PM EDT

After yesterday's SPY REPORT: Face Lift fans have been anxiously waiting today's sequel report for an extended explanation of the discussion there. If you missed it - start with yesterday's news then highlight to read what's new today. We heard from this first fellow way back in July, before we even knew for sure this character was in the film:
A surfing buddy of mine at Bondi in Australia was at a pub and there was a group of people talking about a commander for the Republic named Captain "Torkin" in a battle.
He only caught part of the conversation but he didn't think about it until he got home that they might have been talking about Episode 3 - which is filming nearby and that Torkin they were talking about was actually Tarkin. Thing is I dont know if tarkin is in the film or not - he knows I am a Star Wars fan so he thought I might know what they were talking about. I told him that Tarkin was an Imperial not a old Republic - and actually dont know if he's in it ... but then again I started to think maybe thats where he got his start and then went to work for Palpatine. If he's not going to be in the film then my buddy had too many stouts but if Tarkin is in the film maybe my friend is right and that Tarkin is actually a Republic commander.

Thought I would pass it on. Someone said I should pass this on to you. I dont know why - Tarkin's probably not in it anyhow ... but if Chewie is ... then who knows.

Then a verified informant told us this that confirmed the news sometime later in the summer:
Tarkin is in the film - I've seen him with my own eyes. Well, actually just a picture of him. He IS in the film though all that anyone has seen so far is his makeup tests - we've yet to hear a name about the guy who plays him and what kind of a role he will have. But he is in it ... shoot, I wish I had been able to take a picture for you. He's perfect!
Then we heard from Gotta take a LEAK about just who is behind the mask:
Um, anyway, I have been on the lot a few times and besides seeing some cool props/ships and a LOT of blue, I have something to add to that Tarkin post and I think it's reliable.
Here's the deal. Tarkin's being played by an extra in a mask.

Really? Another source, who wishes to remain without even a code name chimed in with this:
I can confirm it is just an extra as Tarkin. In face, as far as a speaking role I would think that if he's in a mask (he didn't say prosthetic makeup for sure) I'd doubt it. That's just conjecture on my part though.
I guess there's a possibility that the extra in the mask could be for shots where Tarkin's in the background and they could use a featured actor in makeup for 'hero' shots later on down the line. More guessing there.

And the unproven insider Darth Bonk swears that Rohan Nichol will play the "young" Captain Tarkin in Episode III - and that we'll thank him later for the info. So there's the latest from this side of the rumor mill - hopefully now that production has wrapped we'll be getting lots of great stories, pictures and tidbits soon!

RooJay
09-18-2003, 11:18 AM
I told him that Tarkin was an Imperial not a old Republic - and actually dont know if he's in it ... but then again I started to think maybe thats where he got his start and then went to work for Palpatine.

Naturally, since Palpatine is Chancellor of the Republic, and since the Empire would not even exist until near the end of the movie anyway - it would pretty much be a given that Tarkin would first be a Republic military officer.

Also - HIGHLY doubtful that they'd use an extra in a "mask" for a character like Tarkin (read - HUMAN).

I am Jabba the Hutt
09-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Also - HIGHLY doubtful that they'd use an extra in a "mask" for a character like Tarkin (read - HUMAN).

You never know. Peter Cushing did have very prominent and distinguishing features. In a recent movie, Nicole Kidman had kind of a face mask to make her look older and to have a bigger nose and the end product was quite impressive.

plo koon 200
09-18-2003, 04:51 PM
I can't believe TF.N would bother to post such a incomplete story on their site. We already got the picture that Tarkin is in it. Also if Rohan Nichol is playing Tarking why on earth would he need to wear a mask. TF.N is dumb and ridicolous.

RooJay
09-18-2003, 06:08 PM
You never know. Peter Cushing did have very prominent and distinguishing features. In a recent movie, Nicole Kidman had kind of a face mask to make her look older and to have a bigger nose and the end product was quite impressive.

There's quite a big difference between a prosthetic nose and a mask.

I am Jabba the Hutt
09-18-2003, 07:39 PM
There's quite a big difference between a prosthetic nose and a mask.

Not really. You heard of Steve Bridges? He's a George W. Bush impersonator and he looks nothing like Bush but he has a full prosthetic face and a wig and he looks exactly like Bush. He's fooled so many people. It could sure be done. I guess time will tell.

greengoblin3825
09-19-2003, 12:14 AM
Not really. You heard of Steve Bridges? He's a George W. Bush impersonator and he looks nothing like Bush but he has a full prosthetic face and a wig and he looks exactly like Bush. He's fooled so many people. It could sure be done. I guess time will tell.

TF.n put a post up with a "spoiler" pic of tarkin up looks real enough to me

RooJay
09-19-2003, 02:03 AM
Ewww...bizarre!
If that turns out to actually be the real thing (they actually look rather photoshopped if you ask me), then I guess I'll just have to wait and see it in action.
For one, why is it that Tarkin, of all the characters the prequels have shown us, would look the closest to his age in the OT? Then of course, why wouldn't they have simply cast an actor who resembles the young Cushing? Weird.

plo koon 200
09-19-2003, 10:36 AM
I have the same problem RooJay. He does look to close to the one in ANH. On the bright side we can at least see that Lucas is making an effort to make EIII more like the OT.

Jargo
09-19-2003, 11:03 AM
It all looks very photoshopped to me. vcery suspect indeed how it doesn't have a background in the pic just white. If those were real shots they would have been from costume and make-up continuity sessions and they certainly aint that. You don't pose for those shots in character. Looks to me like someone got a bit creative and used Rohan Nichols eys and a few other bits and bobs and just 'shopped it all together. TFN gets lots of 'shopped work submitted and they will do anything for a scoop even if it's bogus crap.
Nope, just not buying that picture as being the real deal at all.

I am Jabba the Hutt
09-19-2003, 04:28 PM
It all looks very photoshopped to me. vcery suspect indeed how it doesn't have a background in the pic just white. If those were real shots they would have been from costume and make-up continuity sessions and they certainly aint that. You don't pose for those shots in character. Looks to me like someone got a bit creative and used Rohan Nichols eys and a few other bits and bobs and just 'shopped it all together. TFN gets lots of 'shopped work submitted and they will do anything for a scoop even if it's bogus crap.
Nope, just not buying that picture as being the real deal at all.

Fair enough but why would Lucasfilm request the picture be removed then? Would they ask fake pictures to be removed? I don't know much about Lucasfilm's policy.

jad
09-20-2003, 12:12 AM
TF.N just made up all that crap about lucasfilm wanting it removed i'm sure. They've posted tons of bogus stuff like this in the past, it's just to get more hits. No matter what they tell you i'm pretty positive they make tons of profit off of their advertisers, so they want all the hits they can get. Besides I bet they know once episode III is released the hits on their site will go way down, and then it's down hill from there.

Just my two cents though.