PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question

Barefoot Matthew
09-18-2003, 06:36 PM
OK, so I'm just a little overwhelmed by the immense amount of enthusiasm and the scope of information out there and in about 3 days of searching various websites and magazine price guides I am still stumped so I thought I would try posting to this forum in hopes of finding some answers.

First off, my sister-in-law recently discovered a bounty of Star Wars toys that her ex apparently chose to leave behind when they split up. Well, she has hung on to them without thinking much about it...but I urged her to catalog the collection and send me a list (I am not a figure collectore, but I am familiar with the movies and novels and so I figured I might be able to give her some insight into whether any of them are valuable).

This last week I got the list, and what she has are a bunch of Power of the Force figures, which as most of you on here probably wouldn't be too impressed with. In total, her collection numbers around 120 figures, and nearly all of them are listed in the price guide. One of them has me stumped as to its value-

It's a Red Card Boba Fett, and on the back there is Japanese text on a sticker that was put on the card, presumably for export. My price guides don't make any mention of that, but I do see it in the database on this site. I still don't know how much this figure might be worth - so my question is: how do I go about finding out this information so I can complete the list and tell my sister in law how much the collection is worth? What are the best resources for getting prices on action figures? I have picked up Toyfare and Lee's Toy Review in the past, and know they have fairly comprehensive price guides. Is there a source that lists foreign/odd figures, just in case there are other anomolies in her collection?

ANY help anyone can give me would be greaty appreciated!

- Feeling Lost

Beast
09-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Unless you can find a collector that likes the foreign release figures with the stickers on them, they are generally worth less then the regular version. Basically just take the priceguide value and cut it by either 1/4 to 1/3. Probably closer to 1/3, since it's just a sticker slapped on the back. There are exceptions to this rule though, like the THX insert figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
09-18-2003, 09:50 PM
What are the best resources for getting prices on action figures?

i'd check e-bay for a few weeks. this will give you an idea of what stuff sells for. of course there will be occasions when something sells for way more than it's worth and other times when somethng sells for almost nothing, but generally e-bay is a good indicator of what the "market" is paying.

unless something is super, super rare, you can forget those price guides.

JangoFart
09-19-2003, 12:58 AM
i'd check e-bay for a few weeks. this will give you an idea of what stuff sells for. of course there will be occasions when something sells for way more than it's worth and other times when somethng sells for almost nothing, but generally e-bay is a good indicator of what the "market" is paying.

unless something is super, super rare, you can forget those price guides.
Well said.

J

swjunk
09-19-2003, 02:46 AM
I believe that the figure that you are talking about is a US red carded Boba Fett with a Japanese sticker on the back. It most likely has a stand up bubble (sub) or slanted bubble. It is usually worth a little more than the normal US version, but again it all depends on the buyers on ebay.

Turbowars
09-22-2003, 02:59 AM
I believe that the figure that you are talking about is a US red carded Boba Fett with a Japanese sticker on the back. It most likely has a stand up bubble (sub) or slanted bubble. It is usually worth a little more than the normal US version, but again it all depends on the buyers on ebay. Yeah OK, what do you know???;)

Jaff
10-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Hey Barefoot Mathew is the sticker your talking about 1/3 the size of the blister card, and is on located on the bottom half of the back blister?

Turbowars
10-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Hey Barefoot Mathew is the sticker your talking about 1/3 the size of the blister card, and is on located on the bottom half of the back blister? Hey Jaff, he got what he came for and probably wont be back.