PDA

View Full Version : Toys For Tots

ACPin
11-27-2001, 10:05 AM
Itís the season for giving and Iíd like to get your support for the USMC Toys for Tots campaign. Look for the extra toys that you have (donít have to be SW as long as itís unopened) and donate it to your local Toys for Tots coordinators. Click on the link to find out more about this campaign.

Toys For Tots (http://www.toysfortots.org/)

JediTricks
11-28-2001, 10:13 PM
Here in California, there are a few other toys for kids charities, so you folks may want to check your own areas for local toy charities as well as using Toys for Tots. Last year, I donated mostly to CHiPs for Kids because it was more convenient than TfTs, who had too few local drop-off points.

BTW, besides giving just extras you already have laying around, stores like TRU and KB have a lot of last-year's toys which are still in packages but are on major sale, so I strongly suggest that if you want to give toys for charity, that you also buy up some of that old stock. Clear out your local stores of $1.50 Darth Mauls and make a few kids' x-masses a little brighter.

GNT
11-29-2001, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Clear out your local stores of $1.50 Darth Mauls and make a few kids' x-masses a little brighter.

In the process your making room for more new Star Wars toys or in TRUs case more EP1 Darth Mauls :)

Why does it have to be unopened?Surely the kids who get them will open them and wont keep them carded thinking of future sales price :) :greedy:

ACPin
11-29-2001, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by GNT
Why does it have to be unopened?Surely the kids who get them will open them and wont keep them carded thinking of future sales price :) :greedy:
That's the main idea of getting Xmas presents as a kid. Ever seen their eyes light up when they receive a toy as a present? ;) The other half of the fun starts at the time they rip up the box to get to the toy. :D

JediTricks
11-29-2001, 11:20 PM
Over the past few years, I've warned folks willing to donate Star Wars toys to kids that they should crush the bubble or crease the card just enough so some grinch-of-a-volunteer doesn't see a mint figure and keep it for their own. However, I don't think that will be as necessary this year as I don't think there are as many casual collectors or HTF figures. Ultimately, I would rather eat cheap ramen for a few weeks than see a kid have no toy for christmas, but the idea of some jerk taking my good deed and stealing the toy because it might be collectible, I hate that idea more than anything.

ACPin
12-14-2001, 09:14 AM
Just one more week to go! Post here if you've already given some toys to the Toys for Tots. I already did and would give more after I find the other extra pegwarmers that I have.

Thanks for your support...

bigbarada
12-14-2001, 09:59 AM
My unit has a yearly program that we participate in called Operation: Santa Claus in which we stage a parade that goes out to the boy's clubs downtown and hand out toys. This year I just drive a replacement truck in case one of the parade trucks breaks down. From what I've heard there is going to be four semi-truck trailers full of toys!

2-1B
08-31-2002, 03:57 AM
I'll certainly be participating this year.
Good points about local charities JT, but around here Toys for Tots is our best bet. There are many great food and clothing programs, but the toy distribution seems to be not nearly as wide scaled.
One local TV station (or is it all of them?) just smothers their News studio with some of the toys they get, it's a nice way of promoting the drive. So from that perspective I guess Toys for Tots is pretty "local" in our area. :)

rynobot
08-31-2002, 05:22 AM
I love giving to the needy, defintlty the kids, I like to see them happy. :)