PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Star Wars: Galaxies

JangoFart
09-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Now that it's out and some of you have gotten this game, what do you think about it? If you didn't get it, what influenced your decision to pass on it?

I beta tested Galaxies for about 6 months and playing it created some of the most boring memories in my head. I found it entertaining for about 3 hours of play; then, the tedium sets in and the repeated tasks and lack of Star Wars-type activities lead me to grow very tired of it.

So, what do you think?

J

Boba Rhett
09-19-2003, 02:37 PM
I thought about getting it for a while but when I started hearing how tedious things got and that it didn't have much of a Star Wars feel, that and the monthly cost made me pass.

JangoFart
09-19-2003, 02:59 PM
The cost is a major detraction from this game. I played it for FREE for months and enjoyed MAYBE 20% of the time that I put into this game. I couldn't imagine having to pay to be bored.

I did truly put this game through its paces when I beta tested. I hit each planet multiple times, tried 3 different races, tried almost all skills (except dancer and doctor), and I'm sure put in as many hours on it as the next guy/gal. It just didn't float my boat.

I don't want it to do badly, mind you. I want all Star Wars properties to do well; because when interest falls off we're all dead in the water with our main hobby - ala the late '80's/early 90's. However, I don't think this game will do much to advance waning interest in Star Wars. (Games like Jedi Academy and Rebel Strike might, though - great demo for each!)

J

Tonysmo
09-21-2003, 03:01 AM
I'm not understanding what you arent getting out of this game? I mean, of course , to each his own. I have found so far, that I have a hard time walking away.. maybe thats the appeal to me, is that I have to walk away. leaving me wanting to go back and work more towards building my character. There are a few bugs that I cant wait for them to work out, but overall, I really have enjoyed the concept n such. I cant wait for the next wave of developments. I guess, again, it boils down to how much time you have to spend on the game. If you sit for hours upon hours you may get bored. I cant do that. I have yet to visit all the planets, and havent even come close to leveling out any certain fields. ( Im close to filling all my marksman slots.. )

anyhow. Im diggin it. Hope to see you come back soon.

CooLJoE
09-22-2003, 02:33 AM
Same, I love the game. It definetely has the StarWars feel to me.

I went through an argument about the "feel" of the game with someone on another msg board. To me, the "feel" is not about hacking and slashing with a light saber. It doesn't have to do with finding or knowing the characters from the movie. It doesn't have to do with being a part of the movies at all. The "feel" to me has to do with being a part of the StarWars universe. The look is a major factor as well as the content. Being able to travel the planets and see more than what the movies show. Being able to be like one of the background characters from the movies that don't do anything important, but are there. Not to mention, you have SO much freedom in the game to do almost whatever you want. Be a dancer, medic, bounty hunter (after lots of xp), setup a shop, make items, etc, etc. Heck, in a coming add-on you'll be able to create an actual city of your own with friends and be the mayor. You'll also be able to fly your own ship to travel across the planet or between other planets.

I mix up my game play in SWG. I'll do missions for awhile and then later heal people in the med centers or dance in the cantinas. And while I do missions, if I see a house I'll check it out. I found one where the guy had an R2D2 and C3PO sitting at the front greeting people. And then inside he had 2 more that were actually named R2D2 and C3PO. Not sure how he pulled it off (they check for names matching ones from the movie and block them). Its just fun doing various things in the game. If you do just one thing every time, yes it will get boring quick. I was on beta for like 7 months or so. It got boring at first because no one was around. Even towards the end it got boring. But eventually more and more people were testing it and they had more features available. It is definetely better in its released state than in beta. Sure there are some bugs, but those exist in all games. And still there are over 300,000 active users of SWG. Its a great game in my eyes. Way better than DoAC, AC2, EQ1, UO, etc. They just don't have the same freedoms which is what makes SWG so great.

BenQuad
09-27-2003, 08:08 AM
Yeah I have to agree with Tony and Cool, it is my absolute favorite waste of time. :)

The content is there to be found, and what isn't is meant to be created by the players.

Nearly 2 months in for me and I can ALWAYS find something new.

Although by no means perfect, the combat system is a refreshing change... I'm not much good at FPS, so even I get to win sometimes. :)

And when I finally max out my skill points, I'll surrender them and learn a whole lot of new stuff............ hmmm, entertainer maybe? :)

Daxxy Dyrll
Bounty Hunter (0,2,2,4)
Creature Handler (1,2,1,2)

BenQuad
09-27-2003, 08:10 AM
...........and as for cost, it's cheaper than drinking beer. (my other favourite waste of time.)

2 months with no alcohol..... I would never have believed it. :)