PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the new Screen Scenes?

Jaff
09-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Went to a Target in Vestal, N.Y. today, and on the shelves I grabbed me the new WA-7 (kinda neat), Emperor (I still haven't decided if I like it or hate it), and most notably the new 2nd set of Screen Scenes!

I've noticed a few posts where folks have mentioned that they have seen these sets in passing. Some shown excitement about finding them, while others just noted as if they were no big deal.

My question is this: Do you love these screen scenes as much as I do? They are totally superior to the old three packs because each one released to date had all new figures except for Dooku and Windu, and each of these figures are great.

In the first Jedi Screen Scene Evan Piell was beyond expectation, and Oppo was a pretty cool unique figure even though he is a little odd. I do like his extra pair of hands under his shirt! The 2nd Jedi pack is the best! Yaddle is terriffic, and although I'm not a fan of soft goods, Yarael Poof is a figure I've been dreaming to see. I wasn't moved by Depa, but the great thing about her being in this pack is that now every single Jedi council member from Episode I is made! I've heard people dreaming about this for a long time, and to get them all in one three pack saves on allot of hunting.

I will say that the first Geonosian War Room screen scene is the worst of the bunch. San Hill is a little weak, but Poggle is awesome. The 2nd Geonosian War room set is great. Although Nute has the exact same body as the first Nute, his cape, head, and head dress are correct. I would recomend that you don't stand the screen scene Nute next to the TPM Nute when you display them because they are almost identical. As for Shu Mai, and Passel they are great additions, and now almost all of the Separatist commanders are made!

In one post someone did bash these new three packs saying they were too expensive ($20), but they were the exact same price as the old three packs, and those did not come with chairs, accessories of any kind, or a table that could connect! These things to me are very exciting, I hope to see more of these and I was wondering if you folks thought the same!

Turbowars
09-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Went to a Target in Vestal, N.Y. today, and on the shelves I grabbed me the new WA-7 (kinda neat), Emperor (I still haven't decided if I like it or hate it), and most notably the new 2nd set of Screen Scenes!

I've noticed a few posts where folks have mentioned that they have seen these sets in passing. Some shown excitement about finding them, while others just noted as if they were no big deal.

My question is this: Do you love these screen scenes as much as I do? They are totally superior to the old three packs because each one released to date had all new figures except for Dooku and Windu, and each of these figures are great.

In the first Jedi Screen Scene Evan Piell was beyond expectation, and Oppo was a pretty cool unique figure even though he is a little odd. I do like his extra pair of hands under his shirt! The 2nd Jedi pack is the best! Yaddle is terriffic, and although I'm not a fan of soft goods, Yarael Poof is a figure I've been dreaming to see. I wasn't moved by Depa, but the great thing about her being in this pack is that now every single Jedi council member from Episode I is made! I've heard people dreaming about this for a long time, and to get them all in one three pack saves on allot of hunting.

I will say that the first Geonosian War Room screen scene is the worst of the bunch. San Hill is a little weak, but Poggle is awesome. The 2nd Geonosian War room set is great. Although Nute has the exact same body as the first Nute, his cape, head, and head dress are correct. I would recomend that you don't stand the screen scene Nute next to the TPM Nute when you display them because they are almost identical. As for Shu Mai, and Passel they are great additions, and now almost all of the Separatist commanders are made!

In one post someone did bash these new three packs saying they were too expensive ($20), but they were the exact same price as the old three packs, and those did not come with chairs, accessories of any kind, or a table that could connect! These things to me are very exciting, I hope to see more of these and I was wondering if you folks thought the same!I think these set are cool. It's nice to get a few new figures togther. One thing about the cost. The POTF2 3 packs where not 19.99 or 21.99, they were more like 14.99. I kind of like the them better than the Saga sets, but I tend to like the POTF2 line much better anyways. In those days, they were action figures. I do think the packaging is nice and you can totaly see that Hasbro made these to stay in the box. I mean look at the bubble with the SW molded in it. I think they are totaly geared for us collectors. At least thats how I see it. I'm sure someone will say I don't care about the packaging, I just want the figures, but I think Hasbro did a good job on these for the most part.

Sidiously Darth
09-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Turbo's right about the price. The original Cinema Scenes were a bit cheaper. I believe $14.99 is a much better price than $19.99. When it comes to comparing the packaging & base between the Cinema Scenes and Screen Scenes, you're really not getting much more for your extra $5.00.

Jaff
09-19-2003, 07:51 PM
The price is not necessarily the point of this post. Even if the price is more, so are figures nowadays in many stores, after all some folks pay for figures by mail and after shipping they come out to $6 or $7 a piece.

This post is about the figures mainly, but package examinations are good too. I, myself opened all of my screen scenes so the packaging although it looked better than the old ones, meant nothing to me. I want to know if your happy with these sets or not, and why!

Tycho
09-19-2003, 09:16 PM
I am very excited about these figures.

Poggle the Lesser is probably my favorite. I like Even Piel a lot, too.

I do think the price is fair granted the softgoods and accessories.

I wished the Jedi had lightsabers though. Easily enough fixed kind of all the extra sources of sabers out there.

San Hill and Depa Billaba are about the same as they would be as individually carded figures. So they're ok.

But I agree with everything JAFF said, about us waiting a long time for the Jedi figures and the accessories and packaging being cool.

By the way: Oppo Rancisis has to be one of the coolest figures ever. We have plenty of characters with 2 arms and two legs. This is the rare exception when we get 4 arms and no legs but a tail instead!

Oppo, along with Geonosians, Hutts, Amanin, Chevin, Kitik Keed Kak, and probably very few others are the most original SW characters in the entire line (excepting droids).

So Oppo is more cause to flip out for joy than the next version of a Clone Trooper, in my opinion. (but I really like Clones!)

TheDarthVader
09-19-2003, 09:52 PM
PRICE I was one of the people that felt that these screen scenes were too high in price. There are three figures...$4.77 X 3= $14.31. Besides, the first AOTC yoda came with cane, rock, 2 piece base, and lightsaber!! All of those accessories for $4.77! The chairs and war room table does not justify the extra $5.68 (19.99-14.31) in my opinion.
Sets 1 of 2 I liked the holographic death star in the first set. I liked the Poggle figure. San Hill was lame.
In the Jedi set, I like Even but Oppo was kinda crummy IMO. Mace was average. But I liked his soft goods.

Sets (2 of 2) I have not found these. Because I am a completist with figures, I will buy them like I did the first sets.

Banthaholic
09-19-2003, 10:18 PM
I think these sets are great.

I see absolutely no problem with the price. I'd rather spend $20 on these than a Jedi Starfighter.
3 figures and a mini playset for $20 is a bargain.

I lucked out and got all mine in decent condition. Although I've seen a number of them beat to heck. Funny though, they still fly of the shelf.

These scenes have allowed us to get 5 new Jedi some of us thought we wouldn't get in awhile. I know of people that were hoping for 2 new council members a year, and would have been happy completing the council in 3 years off that formula, well Abra Cadabra, we have a complete Jedi Council, from EP1 & EP2, awesome!

The genisian war room is beyond words, after seeing it immediatley future scenes of the rebel briefing room, Yavin war room, and Death Star 1 meeting room come to mind.

I hope the more I'll eat them up!

JangoFart
09-19-2003, 10:50 PM
I think they are too expensive. Has that kept me from getting them? No - I just buy them under protest :) I really like the line and they have chosen some great figures to produce that we otherwise most likely would have never seen.

I was surprised at how small the packaging is on these items. I was expecting a box at least the size of the Trash Compactor sets, but these are decently smaller than that. They just seemed larger in the photos, I reckon.

J

thespar
09-19-2003, 11:08 PM
I thought the price was just TRU high pricing items. I guess i was wrong. I have only seen one of jedi and conf. set 1. I did not even know who was in part two until in picked up this mont issues of Lee Toy Review. Should i kick myself know or latter for not pick them up when i saw them.

JediTricks
09-20-2003, 12:36 AM
I've seen these a few times, all 4 sets, but today was the first time I paid any notice to 'em in person and I found them pretty lacking for the price and concept, not enticing at all. I only was looking at the 2nd wave sets, but both seemed to be pretty small and lightweight, the paint apps weren't up to the quality they could have been, and the accessories weren't as large or detailed as I would have liked. Ultimately, even though I sorta want that Yareal Poof figure, I don't see these being much of a temptation on my collecting dollar.

plasticfetish
09-20-2003, 04:42 AM
I've seen the second two sets a bunch of times, but only spotted the first sets once. I grabbed War Room set #2 when I saw it ... it looked great, but for $20 I'm keeping it boxed. They do look good in the package. I still haven't found War Room set #1 ... well, OK ... I spotted one that had the Death Star holo tied on sideways and San Hill was kind of leaning to the side. The figures look great, but I'm gonna hold out for a nicer one.

I passed on Jedi Set #2, because I wanted to see set #1 first. I spotted a banged up one just yesterday and was a little disappointed with Mace. He looked a lot cheaper than I expected and seeing just how limited his articulation is ... I may wait a while on the Jedi sets. Oh yeah, and the little holo stand thing was completely warped ... a pretty good 45 degree angle.

Seems to be some random quality issues with these.

In all, the Screen Scenes are pretty nice. The War room sets look great to me. The Jedi sets are a mix of cool and "could be better." As for price, I'll admit that I'd love to see them for cheaper. If they were less expensive, I probably wouldn't be hesitating to spend my money. My guess is that we're paying more for these sets, because Hasbro is producing less of them ... and frankly the demand is higher because we've all been toy starved for so long.

Hellboy
09-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Well I absolutely love these sets and hope Hasbro continues to make saga scenes. I expressed most of my feelings about these in the review section so I won't repeat myself here but I'm really enjoying the overall product now that the 2nd sets are out and putting these together as dioramas is a lot of fun. :D

keithfite
09-20-2003, 01:47 PM
I love these things. The 2 war rooms are awsome and the 2 jedi councils are the coolest thing hasbro has made. Every time I see my yaddle figure I am just blown away. its so cool and amazing to finally have the council members like her and oppo. I give all 4 scenes a perfect 10. They are good fun to open, and look great in the package.

bobafrett
09-20-2003, 01:52 PM
I've got the second set of each, and I have the first set on backorder through EE. I almost passed over the sets when I saw them in the store. I mean, they are smaller than I had envisioned, and the package they come in is also different. By "passed over" I do not mean I thought about not buying, I mean I was looking through the TRU SW section, and didn't even see these the first couple times I looked for new items. Like I mentioned, the package is smaller. Since they are retailing for around $20 each, I will only get one set, and they will stay closed and sealed in the box in which they are displayed. Over all, I do like the sets, and I'm happy as a kid in a candy store to get some new figures with these sets.

kool-aid killer
09-21-2003, 04:16 PM
I picked up the second sets of both the Jedi and Separatist groups today. I only seen one Jedi set whereas there was three Separatist sets. They look nice and im glad that i was able to get all four of them at retail as opposed to online. Unfortunately i seen the Geonosian starfighter, Hailfire tank, and Hoth four pack today too but didnt have enough money to pick them up. Hopefully they will still be around by Friday when i do have enough cheese. Now if only Hasbro would make a Ewok screen scene....

evenflow
09-21-2003, 04:46 PM
I am personally a big fan of these. I guess I am just happy to get the remaining Jedi Council Members. I hope they continue to make more scenes though.

Tycho
09-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Beru, owen, and Cliegg would be nice.

So would Dauldry Dofine, Tey How, and a blue Battle Droid (or Nute Hologram).

Finally the 3 remaining Separatists, Tonbuck Toora, Tiikes, and the Niemoidian would be great.

Or maybe some unmade Jedi: Sora Bulq (Weequay), Boltar Swan (Asian female), that new alien wih the eyes below the mouth first seen in AOTC - some were Jedi, some were aliens on Coruscant.

Luke Recvovery Room, Leia Recovery Room, and 21-B re-released -or using some liberty with accurateness, Lando Smuggler (though that figure would sell well carded by himself).

Ewoks would be great as well of course.

As could a Gungan dignitary, female, and child.

Droids in groups might work, too. I'm thinking sandcrawler droids, not combat ones.

Val Da Car
09-23-2003, 10:21 PM
btw if you are lucky enough to have gotten a Wat Tambor figure with his command console....the holographic Death Star does fit in his console and the holo ship that comes with him fits on the War Room table....

very cool

rherk
09-23-2003, 10:47 PM
The 1st sets were alright. However, whenever they do these 3 pack sets, Hasbro seems to charge more money for less quality of a product and nothing proves this best then the series 2 jedi set. The girl (sorry, don't remember her name) is obviously a Princess Liea head with a few slight wrinkles added. To me this is unacceptable. I paid 21.95 retail to get 3 figures and a couple chairs. The least they can do is provide an all new sculpt.

All in all, I like a few of the figures from the set but I would much rather them just card them individually and focus on quality.

Banthaholic
09-23-2003, 11:03 PM
All in all, I like a few of the figures from the set but I would much rather them just card them individually and focus on quality.

Ideally this would be the best option, although just think EP1 has been out over 4 years now, and up till the screen scenes we only had 7 of the 12 EP1 Jedi members.

In within a month stretch we got 5. That's pretty darn good. The figures aren't the best ever, but they do the job pretty well.

Also just though of that some of the figures included in the genosian & Jedi sets are more obscure characters, which have a better chance to peg warm. If only they owuld have made a Senate 3 pack of Palpatine, Orn Free Taa, and Lott Dodd. Would have freed up alot of shelf room in early '03 when we couldn't find squat.

Old Fossil
09-24-2003, 11:31 AM
I have seen ONE Jedi Council Scene (w/Mace), at Geoffrey's (TRU) in Meridian, MS, yesterday. Like several have mentioned already, it seemed a bit small and lightweight -- not like I remember the POTF2 Screen Scenes. I had picked up the store's remaining 2 Clone Pilots and the lone 12" Lando Skiff disguise, and felt that I was getting more with Lando, ounce for ounce, than with the Saga Scene, so I put the latter down.

I about to leave when a guy came down the SW aisle, browsing, and gasped when he saw the Scene sitting on the shelf. Of course he snatched it up and held it like it was the Holy Grail. I don't blame him; it's a nice scene, just not nice enough for the price.

fishyfett
09-24-2003, 11:55 AM
I'm glad to have finally completed these sets. Yes, I agree, they're a little too pricey, considering Yarael, Oppo and San Hill looking a little too small compared to their movie versions. And yes, Depa's head is the same one on Bespin Leia. Thus, the price we all had to pay for wanting these figures.

However, its either this or none at all. If you're not a big fan of these scenes, then great. You'll save more money down the road. If you are a fan, well, swallow your pride and expel your cash. To me, these are definitely worth having figurewise. I just hope Hasbro won't release bigger version of the three just to improve them. Then, I'll be tempted to expel some more cash. :cry:

Then, again, we'll never know w/ Hasbro.

JEDIpartner
09-24-2003, 11:59 AM
I'm just keeping this brief. I love them and my non-SW friends think that they are really nice sets- even at the price point for which they are selling.

Jaff
09-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Quoted from Rherk

I'm going to disagree with this just because imagine all these figures being released on carded versions. 1st they are all jedi so they will be in demand like Coleman Trebor, Jedi Younglings, the POTJ Plo Koon and Sae See Tinn. 2nd: now imagine trying to find five different jedi on cards with such unique sculpts at the same time. If folks think the Wat Tambor, Ashla and Jempa wave is hard to find just imagine what these would be like! 3rd: think about gas spent on trying to find all of these. 4th: Shipping?

To me this set is a bargin.

plasticfetish
09-24-2003, 01:32 PM
I found & bought War Room set #1 today (I dig it) and actually, I saw a ton of all four sets. I'm thinking their won't be a big shortage of these ... they were all pretty banged up, and the internal packaging is a little wonky on each ... but there seems to be plenty of them. (So, you know ... if you can wait, I wouldn't be surprised to see them on clearance some day.)

Hellboy
09-24-2003, 04:12 PM
If this has been mentioned somewhere I don't remember seeing it but I made an interesting observation when I got my second set. Why is it that the first Jedi Council set says AOTC but the second says TPM? I would think they both should have been labled from the same episode that being EP1.

JangoFart
09-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Yarael Poof gets killed in between the movies and can't rightly be popping up in a seat at the High Council in AOTC. That would explain why they can't both be AOTC. But, why they can't both be TPM? I have no idea and think they should have been both TPM. Maybe there's a stigma with TPM appearing on toys that doesn't carry over to AOTC appearing on toys. Hell, I don't really know :)

J

Turambar
09-24-2003, 06:46 PM
I just hope these sell well enough to inspire hasbro to make new scenes. I would love to see two 3-packs each for the cantina aliens and Jabba's palace. That would be great to get 6 more obscure aliens for each place.

JediTricks
09-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Here's a question for everybody, if these were OT-based instead of prequel-based, would your opinions be the same?

Jaff
09-25-2003, 02:00 AM
Would my opinion remain the same if the Screen Scenes were based on the classic Trilogy?

NOT AT ALL!

I am much more eager about classic figs since that was what I played with in the 70's. I love the three packs now, but if they made them from the classic trilogy I would most likely foam at the mouth of obtaining new classic figures.

I will say that if Hasbro makes classic screen scenes they MUST have all new figures in them. The rehashes are so numerous, and although this can be good for some figures (like lobot, R5-D4, etc..) it really would not impress me to see new screen scenes with resculpted figs. Ewoks, Death Star, Cantina and Jabba palace would be sure bets for all new figs. Maybe one remade figures (like dooku and Mace) would be allright, but to me the real glory of the new packs are that there are three new figs in 2 of them, and two new figs in the other two, and each pack has a masterfully done figure (Poggle, Evan Piell, Yareal Poof!). Imagine Hermi odle in one of these three packs! That would make fans love these packs instantly!

fishyfett
09-25-2003, 02:14 AM
Here's a question for everybody, if these were OT-based instead of prequel-based, would your opinions be the same? I'd say bring them on!!!! I still want to see some obscure Cantina aliens or Jabba's minions made as 3-packs. Maybe they should pack that mantis alien (in limbo) w/ Hem (Arcona) Dazon and Feltippern (Gotal) Trevagg. Or how's bout a Hermi Odle, J'Quille (Whiphid) and Elom from the Palace. Anything just to continue the line. As long as its better than another Luke, Han, Vader or Kenobi 3-pack rehash. More aliens, the better. The geekier, the better. :D

Old Fossil
09-25-2003, 08:16 AM
Here's a question for everybody, if these were OT-based instead of prequel-based, would your opinions be the same?

Excellent question, JT.

Probably not, depending on the scene. While the Jedi Council is very cool, I do not think I could have resisted buying so easily if the scene had been, say:

1. Destruction of Alderaan, with resculpted Vader, Tarkin, and Leia; or
2. Rebel Briefing at Yavin, with Rebel Technician, Rebel General (NOT
Dodonna), and Red Leader

In other words, OT Screen Scenes with either resculpts or all background characters -- or a mix of both -- would likely get my money before Prequel-based scenes like the Jedi Council. And I probably would pay $20 for them. Why? Not sure. Nostalgia, probably.

Turambar
09-25-2003, 07:00 PM
I found #2 of each screen scene today. I am just really pleased with these since I wanted jedi council figs from the moment I saw E1. Now I echo everyone else by saying: BRING ON SOME OT 3 PACKS!!!

Oh, by the way, I do think these are over-priced. About $15 would be perfect.

Hellboy
09-25-2003, 07:19 PM
I can't understand how some of you feel these aren't a good deal when the old Cinema Scenes were the same price and I don't remember hearing to many complaints about those. With the exception of Final Jedi Duel CS that had the Emperor's chair none of these sets included any accessories equivilant to the War Room table or the Council chairs. Basically you're paying $5 per figure and $5 for the accessory and I fail to see how thats "over-priced".

To anwser JediTricks question I would be buying these whether they were OT or Prequels as long as they were mostly packed with unproduced figures. I would like to see more OT sets produced in the future but eventually I'd like to have as many of the characters from the SW universe in my collection as I can so I'm happy getting these for now.

Jaff
09-25-2003, 07:23 PM
I can't understand how some of you feel these aren't a good deal when the old Cinema Scenes were the same price and I don't remember hearing to many complaints about those. With the exception of Final Jedi Duel CS that had the Emperor's chair none of these sets included any accessories equivilant to the War Room table or the Council chairs. Basically you're paying $5 per figure and $5 for the accessory and I fail to see how thats "over-priced".

To anwser JediTricks question I would be buying these whether they were OT or Prequels as long as they were mostly packed with unproduced figures. I would like to see more OT sets produced in the future but eventually I'd like to have as many of the characters from the SW universe in my collection as I can so I'm happy getting these for now.

Hellboy I totally agree with you on this one. I still have my Kay Bee reciept from 98 when I got my Purchase of Droids three pack (I bought a game system and I looked at the reciept in the box!). Kay Bee charged $19.99 for the Droids and Final Duel cinema scene. I see no overexpendatures with these new packs!

JediTricks
09-27-2003, 01:27 AM
Yeah, but KB always charges more, look at the lawsuit they just settled.

BTW, to answer my own question, I would feel differently if they were OT. Of course, I asked myself the same thing when the Ep 1 Cinema Scenes came out and it was the same result, but I bought those pieces whereas here I just look at these Ep 2 scenes and shrug.

Dooku and Poggle sure have a big pizza to share though! :D

Mad Slanted Powers
09-28-2003, 10:11 PM
I enjoyed getting all of these sets. Each time a new Jedi Council member had been released, I would think of how much closer we were to having the whole council. Now we have them all.

I didn't even note what the price was when I grabbed them, so I was a bit surprised at how high the total came to at the checkout. Still, I think it was worth it for me to get these figures along with the scenes they come with.

As for whether I would feel the same about OT scenes, I look forward to ANY new figures, especially ones that have not been done before. I think another Cantina Alien scene would be great, as well as a Death Star meeting room scene.

evenflow
09-28-2003, 10:35 PM
I am down for a Hoiday Special scene. The wookie family scene woul dbe cool i think. Well maybe not cool, but i would buy it.

Banthaholic
09-28-2003, 11:09 PM
I am down for a Hoiday Special scene. The wookie family scene woul dbe cool i think. Well maybe not cool, but i would buy it.
How about a Holiday Special Cantina scene, featuring a Beau Arthur figure. Now that would be just plain funny... we then then only need a Blanch, Rose and Sophia to complete the set...

Banthaholic
09-28-2003, 11:12 PM
I still want to see some obscure Cantina aliens or Jabba's minions made as 3-packs... ...Or how's bout a Hermi Odle, J'Quille (Whiphid) and Elom from the Palace. Anything just to continue the line. As long as its better than another Luke, Han, Vader or Kenobi 3-pack rehash. More aliens, the better. The geekier, the better. :D
Good prediction of this one Fishyfett, looks like we're getting two of your requested scene, not bad!

fishyfett
09-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Good prediction of this one Fishyfett, looks like we're getting two of your requested scene, not bad! Yo!!! Which ones are we getting??? I'm excited now...... :eek: :sur:

Dr Zoltar
09-29-2003, 01:52 AM
If Hasbro makes them, I'll buy them. Just please don't make them exclusives.

jawachef
10-04-2003, 06:16 PM
I think the price for these are just fine for the number of figures that come with it, and I do remember the old packs being $20 so what's the big deal.

What I do have a problem with is the short cut paint jobs on figs. Take San Hill and Passel Argente. They could have been painted allot better. On top of that the rehashing is obvious. Nute Gunray is the same fig as the ep I fig with just a new hat and robe! Not to mention the princess leia jedi in the 2nd jedi set. Add two rehashed figures (Mace and arthritis forever Dooku) and the sets really equall less than two figures per set for $20. That does not add up in my book!