PDA

View Full Version : double post...ignore

Gonk 1979
09-20-2003, 02:13 AM
.....bye bye

plasticfetish
09-20-2003, 03:19 AM
Either way it sucks.

It doesn't matter what he has now or what he had then, he still had to steal to get any of it. I'd feel like crap no matter what.

"for more, LEGIT star wars stuff like a true fan!"

I'm not sure exactly what we mean by fan here, and I'm not sure why this thread's in the Saga section either.

Jaff
09-20-2003, 07:15 AM
It's neat to have some stuff that other people don't have, but who really want's one great piece like a baseball that sport fans have. I would probably have traded in the one thing for many things like your friend. There would also always be questions of authenticity, and presentability. IMO

Exhaust Port
09-20-2003, 10:52 AM
I told him he did the right thing...
You mean he returned it to the owner from which he stole it?

It seems your definition of the right thing is a bit warped.

If your friend is in Texas it's considered a felony if the item is valued at more than $1,500 but less than $20,000. I'm sure anything taken from ILM or whatever has a pretty high value.

Section 31.03 Theft (4) a state jail felony if:

(A) the value of the property stolen is $1,500 or more but less than $20,000, or the property is less than 10 head of cattle, horses, or exotic livestock or exotic fowl as defined by Section 142.001, Agriculture Code, or any part thereof under the value of $20,000, or less than 100 head of sheep, swine, or goats or any part thereof under the value of $20,000;

Felony then puts it into a different catagory which is beyond just the petty theft statute of limitations time frame. I don't know what state would be procecutig the theft but I'm sure they have similar laws.

Your friend also seems to be assuming he knows when the statute of limitations clock started counting down. It definately wasn't from the day that he stole it. Even if those limitations were exceded he still can be procecuted for selling stolen property. Even if he was able to keep his trap shut for 3 years what makes you think the guy that he sold it to can? The problem people have with stuff like this is the compulsion to show it off. And when the cops show up at that persons door (or the person he sold it to) I'm sure they'll sing like a canary pointing their fingers to the previous seller.

No matter what your friends interpretation is of the law a big factor that you can't account for is that their lawyers are bigger than your lawyers. They want to punish you, they'll find a way.

Jayspawn
09-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Heck, I want to know what he got from Lucasfilm!?

Anyways, I would want a bunch of cool stuff rather than the one thing. It can drive somebody mad too, like in LOTR!

bobafrett
09-20-2003, 01:40 PM
I must have got in late on this thread. Oh well, from what I read, someone stole something. I say we brand his forehead, with the words "Thief". That will teach him!

Exhaust Port
09-20-2003, 02:36 PM
It seems Gonk 1979's friend stole something from LucasArts/ILM or something, held onto it for 3 years with the hopes of avoiding penalty by exceeding the statute of limitations for theft. Then after the 3 years, traded it for tons of "legit" Star Wars merchanise. The original question was whether he did the right thing by trading it for common legit Star Wars stuff or should he have kept the obviously rare/unique piece. The "right thing" wasn't having the thief return the item but rather the decision of keeping vs. selling. Idiot.

I guess this thread just proves once again why criminals eventually get caught, they can't keep their bloody mouths shut. The urge to brag becomes impossible to silence and next thing you know they're talking about it on a public forum. Duh!

Hey George, you reading this? :rolleyes:

Exhaust Port
09-21-2003, 12:03 AM
It seems Gonk relized he said too much.

plasticfetish
09-21-2003, 02:59 AM
For sure too much.

(Paraphrasing for latecomers.)
"Hey my buddy stole something from a guy most of you really admire and then he traded it for a bunch of cool toys that you all probably couldn't afford. What do you think of that?"

Sorry, but ... duh!
I suppose there's a reason the Gonk droid can only say "Gonk, gonk."

Exhaust Port
09-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Perhaps Gonk is Basic for "Duh, Duh." ;)

bobafrett
09-21-2003, 11:46 AM
Personally, I would have returned it if it had been stolen. But if your intent is not to return it, then I would keep it, not trade this item for more stuff that you could get everyday. I have a few items that I wouldn't trade or sell ever because they are unique. And if you are going to help yourself to others property, then by all means you shouldn't tell anyone, unless you like serving time in jail, or going to court.

BTW, I don't condone stealing by any means. I have worked long and hard for every piece of Star Wars collectibles I own. If I can't afford it, then I don't buy it. If you take it from me, better pray that I don't find out.

Gonk 1979
09-21-2003, 01:09 PM
....tisk, tisk. I removed it at my friends request. AND, after checking once again, my friend is out of harms way. The statute of limitations has expired. AND you dolts, my friend did not "steal" anything from Lucasfilm...the item came to him from someone else (I do not know the exact history of the item but it seemingly got passed around for a while). Soooo, to those who said my friend should "return" the item I remind you of a report of a theater worker who returned certain theater merchandise to Lucasfilm and they STILL prosecuted. Anyways, it all seems for naught since my friend was in the military at the time and acquired it overseas. You all need to CHILL out....you think the Lucasfilm police is going to break down your door at any second and stick a Jawa up your rear? I know enough about the judicial system to understand (unlike ya'll) that a certain legal process has to occur. Someone saying their "friend" has something of Lucasfilms in a "toy chat room" does not make me prosecutable or liable. Thats like saying "I smoke weed" in a chat room and the police coming and busting down my door.

Beast
09-21-2003, 01:18 PM
....tisk, tisk. I removed it at my friends request. AND, after checking once again, my friend is out of harms way. The statute of limitations has expired. AND you dolts, my friend did not "steal" anything from Lucasfilm...the item came to him from someone else (I do not know the exact history of the item but it seemingly got passed around for a while). Soooo, to those who said my friend should "return" the item I remind you of a report of a theater worker who returned certain theater merchandise to Lucasfilm and they STILL prosecuted. Anyways, it all seems for naught since my friend was in the military at the time and acquired it overseas. You all need to CHILL out....you think the Lucasfilm police is going to break down your door at any second and stick a Jawa up your rear? I know enough about the judicial system to understand (unlike ya'll) that a certain legal process has to occur. Someone saying their "friend" has something of Lucasfilms in a "toy chat room" does not make me prosecutable or liable. Thats like saying "I smoke weed" in a chat room and the police coming and busting down my door.
You may have removed it, but that doesn't mean that what was posted was forgotten. And you're not going to recieve friendship points by calling people dolts. Or being basically rude, because people didn't applaud your questionable morals. Even if he didn't steal the item himself, he still accepted stolen goods. As for that theater worker that returned stolen merchandise and still was prosecuted, good for them. Even though they returned it, they still stole it in the first place. So they got what they deserved, as should your friend. For you're information, none of us are upset, so we have no need to 'chill out'. And of course Lucasfilm isn't going to break down our doors, because we're not theives. We've nothing to fear, by respecting the law. By the way, don't mind the quoting. Just wanted to be sure you didn't edit yourself again. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
09-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Ah, so he only received stole property? Right, that's not illegal. :rolleyes:

Your story seems to be changing too. He didn't "steal" anything yet your friend was worried about the "statute of limitations" on theft? Now the item was aquired overseas yet you're still worried about the statute of limitations? He has nothing to worry about yet he wanted you to remove any mention of it from the website? Sounds fishy...

plasticfetish
09-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Perhaps Gonk is Basic for "Duh, Duh." ;)
hahaha.

10 say "duh"
20 goto 10

You know what Gonk? I think you're missing the point.
You asked us what we thought ... and we told you.
If anything, your friend is "guilty" of bad form ... and you're guilty of getting ****y when we tell you that it's not cool.
So, next time don't ask if you don't want an answer that you might not like.

Exhaust Port
09-21-2003, 10:56 PM
I'm suprised that Gonk expected a different response from those here.

Banthaholic
09-22-2003, 12:35 AM
I don't think I'd even want an item that is 'hot' part of my collection. Everyone wants to have a unique collection and I'm not different. Fortunately with SW there is wide a range of available products it's extremely difficult to have every last one.

IMO it's be just as easy to pick up a can of EP1 shapped Spaghettio's (sp), a few SW Bend Em's, some THX POTF-2 figures, EP1 Pit droid sets and call my collection different.

Now if I could get authentic movie items at a legal auction, sale, etc.. for a decent, affordable price, yeah I'd jump on it. Being a man of business, I feel it my personal, ethical obligation to act within the limits of the law.

Darth Poopypants
09-22-2003, 03:07 AM
....you know what, even though I don't agree with stealing or the acquisition of stolen property, I have to agree with Gonk on this one. Alot of these posters are saying that "....I hope Lucasfilm is reading this!" or "Lucasfilm is going to prosecute you!". The only thing Lucasfilm is guilty of is using SCARE TACTICS....just like the MPAA and music industry. I am pre-law, so even I know that there has to be a little thing called PROOF and EVIDENCE! Gonk can say that his friend was once in possession of Lucasfilm property all he wants and nothing can be held against him for dozens of reasons, but by far the most important being that Lucasfilm does not know who this "friend" is, who he got it from, who he traded it to, or probably not even WHAT the item is! Come on, people! Sure, Lucasfilm could send him an email trying to scare him into talking, but that's as far as it can go. That's how scare tactics work, and how it looks from posters in this forum, it sure is working!

Believe me, this is not the first post I was expecting to make on this forum, but I find everyone's reaction to his statement quite hostile. He merely stated a situation and everyone blasts him and in some cases call him names, etc. He replies by calling out the "dolts", and the same posters that blasted him take offense! I don't know, but that's crazy to me! Sure, I don't agree with some of his statements regarding the situation, but I took far greater offense with some of the comments by JarJarBinks and Exhaust Port. I also feel bad for some of these posters who seem to live in fear of the Lucasfilm brand name! Again, the lawyers at Lucasfilm or any other organization realize that mere statements on the internet do not constitute a good court case! "My friend" and "an item" are not statements to which one needs to be concerned about!

Lastly, and I hope that my statements do not set me on a bad footing with posters here considering I am new (though have been an observer for a while but this topic caused me to finally register!). I hope that if I pose a general question such as he did that I am not greeted with the same consternation. I also hope that certain posters here would learn more about the law and the American judicial system before they say such ridiculously ignorant statements (no offense meant!). Don't let the scare tactics of Lucasfilm or any other media entity get to you!

Turbowars
09-22-2003, 03:16 AM
Hell, what was the item in question?

Beast
09-22-2003, 04:06 AM
....you know what, even though I don't agree with stealing or the acquisition of stolen property, I have to agree with Gonk on this one. Alot of these posters are saying that "....I hope Lucasfilm is reading this!" or "Lucasfilm is going to prosecute you!". The only thing Lucasfilm is guilty of is using SCARE TACTICS....just like the MPAA and music industry. I am pre-law, so even I know that there has to be a little thing called PROOF and EVIDENCE! Gonk can say that his friend was once in possession of Lucasfilm property all he wants and nothing can be held against him for dozens of reasons, but by far the most important being that Lucasfilm does not know who this "friend" is, who he got it from, who he traded it to, or probably not even WHAT the item is! Come on, people! Sure, Lucasfilm could send him an email trying to scare him into talking, but that's as far as it can go. That's how scare tactics work, and how it looks from posters in this forum, it sure is working!

Believe me, this is not the first post I was expecting to make on this forum, but I find everyone's reaction to his statement quite hostile. He merely stated a situation and everyone blasts him and in some cases call him names, etc. He replies by calling out the "dolts", and the same posters that blasted him take offense! I don't know, but that's crazy to me! Sure, I don't agree with some of his statements regarding the situation, but I took far greater offense with some of the comments by JarJarBinks and Exhaust Port. I also feel bad for some of these posters who seem to live in fear of the Lucasfilm brand name! Again, the lawyers at Lucasfilm or any other organization realize that mere statements on the internet do not constitute a good court case! "My friend" and "an item" are not statements to which one needs to be concerned about!

Lastly, and I hope that my statements do not set me on a bad footing with posters here considering I am new (though have been an observer for a while but this topic caused me to finally register!). I hope that if I pose a general question such as he did that I am not greeted with the same consternation. I also hope that certain posters here would learn more about the law and the American judicial system before they say such ridiculously ignorant statements (no offense meant!). Don't let the scare tactics of Lucasfilm or any other media entity get to you!
My my my. A mysterious first time poster, leaping to the defense of someone who needed no defense at all. Ya know, something stinks here. And I'm pretty sure it's the large load of BS coming off the new poster, as well as Gonk. And where are these mysterious invisable posters, who are saying things like 'I hope Lucasfilm is reading' or 'Lucasfilm is gonna prosecute you'. Scare tactics my eye, yes I'm sure the person that stole files from Lucasfilm of pre-visualization for E2 was hit with scare tactics. Theft is theft, no scare tactics needed, pally.

And don't go waving the 'pre-law' status around like it makes you a big man on the block. That and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee now a days, and that's not even true anymore. Proof and Evidence are easy to show now adays, whoever receieved the item just has to indicate who he got it from. There's your proof, and there's your evidence. It's clear case of the sale of stolen property, and I doubt that they will need scare tactics for that to stick.

Why should scare tactics be working against us. We're not theives, or deal in stolen goods like the friend of the poster. So scare tactics have no effect on us. It's called morals and right and wrong, look into them sometimes, you might actually realize the truth. Take the reaction of the forum members to his cheerfulness of his friend getting 'cool items' from a 'hot item' how ever you like. It was honest, and was heardly an attack. He wanted an honest reaction from the members of the forums, and that's what he got.

He was the first one to start the mudslinging with his comments and reaction to people's honest opinions of thieves. When all he did was get exactly what he was asking for. I guess the saying really is true, 'Truth Hurts'. Why should you take offense for something that wasn't directed at you? Maybe because you're Gonk, or Gonk's buddy. You sure popped out of nowhere, spouting your rhetoric and shaking a proverbial finger at us for being naughty. Seriously, grow up. It's embaressing.

We're hardly afraid of the Lucasfilm Brand name. We just don't have questionable morals. You sure do seem awful worried to get this to be dropped. Personal stake in this, mayhaps. You do realize that the Admin will probably check your I.P. addy with that of Gonk to see if your the same person, especially since you're looking to start trouble. And that a second account is a bannable offense here. So I'd be a bit careful with how you shake that finger.

As for your comments putting you on a bad footing, have you been mountain climbing. That's about as stable as your footing is. You come in, out of nowhere, supposedly having observed for the longest time, and yet the only thing that compels you to join our charming community is the chance to attack members who just merely answered the questions put forward by someone who was asking questions that deserve such answers. You my friend, as well as Gonk, are the only two coming off as hostile.

It was hardly a 'general question'. It was a 'hey my friend stole a cool item, and I wanna make sure that the item won't get them prosecuted any longer, cause they traded it for some wicked swag'. General questions typically imply that that is a commen question. This is quite un-commen, compared to the typical questions asked around here, I can assure you of that. Being quite the chatterbox that I am. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-22-2003, 04:25 AM
Wow Jar Jar, aren't you at least going to proffer a basket of duct tape and a JJB figure? :D

Ya know, something stinks here. And I'm pretty sure it's the large load of BS coming off the new poster

Well . . . his name IS Darth Poopypants. ;)

Beast
09-22-2003, 04:32 AM
You're right, I should atleast get that taken care of. Sometimes I can be so forgetful. Welcome to the foruns, Darth P. He're your complimentary gift basket of duct tape and POTJ Jar Jar Binks Action Figure. :)

And Caesar, I hate you for making me laugh. I didn't even think of the stinky BS and Darth Poopypants connection. I must really be tired. Night all, until tommorow. And remember, I know when you've been sleeping, and I know when you're awake. I know if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
09-22-2003, 05:57 AM
It was hardly a 'general question'.
Exactly.

Exhaust Port
09-22-2003, 09:25 AM
Alot of these posters are saying that "....I hope Lucasfilm is reading this!" or "Lucasfilm is going to prosecute you!".
A lot of posters? Please quote who all are saying such please.

I am pre-law, so even I know that there has to be a little thing called PROOF and EVIDENCE!
This is like taking medical advice from a pre-med student. You have a long way to go before your in a position to start throwing your weight around.

Let's see, the gentleman who traded all his goods for the stolen ILM artifact gets caught with the item. While being questioned where he got the stole property he says that he got it from "Steve." The cops then show up at "Steve's" house and arrest him. They have the EVIDENCE (the stolen item) and they have the PROOF (the confession from the first suspect).

the most important being that Lucasfilm does not know who this "friend" is, who he got it from, who he traded it to, or probably not even WHAT the item is!
Have you ever seen how they catch those art thieves? They never get the thief with the first arrest, they catch a person who's trying to sell or is in possession of the stole artwork. That person then gives his source (i.e. the thief) for a reduced sentence for recieving stole property. The guy who traded for the stole item will at some point show it off (it's what collectors do), word gets around (because people love to talk about it, look at Gonk here) and there is a good chance that at some point word will get to someone who might investigate the story.

Come on, people! Sure, Lucasfilm could send him an email trying to scare him into talking, but that's as far as it can go. That's how scare tactics work, and how it looks from posters in this forum, it sure is working!

He merely stated a situation and everyone blasts him and in some cases call him names, etc.
He merely stated a situation of THEFT! What did you expect people to say, congradulations? You're going to be one hell of a lawyer.....

Called him names, where?

He replies by calling out the "dolts", and the same posters that blasted him take offense! I don't know, but that's crazy to me!
What would you expect someone to do? Dolt!

Sure, I don't agree with some of his statements regarding the situation, but I took far greater offense with some of the comments by JarJarBinks and Exhaust Port.
Our comments were based solely on ethics. Do you know what ethics are? Gonk's lack of concern and his friends actions of theft show incredible lack of ethics. I'm sorry you took offense to our disapproval of that. :rolleyes: Again, you're going to be a lawyer?

I also feel bad for some of these posters who seem to live in fear of the Lucasfilm brand name!
I don't live in fear of Lucasfilm action or any other legal action because I DON"T STEAL! This has nothing to do with Lucasfilm being involved, the same comments would be made if Gonk's friend would have stolen from anyone else. What if it was a fellow forum member? Hey, he got away with it so we shouldn't concern ourselves with it or take offense?

"My friend" and "an item" are not statements to which one needs to be concerned about!
Um, when you post it on a public forum and ask for advice regarding the situation you're letting others become involved. This wasn't a private email that we intercepted, this was posted here in plain view of thousands. You don't want others to be concerned then don't go blabbing.

I hope that if I pose a general question such as he did that I am not greeted with the same consternation.
Hey I killed a man and kept his wedding ring, what should I set the reserve to on eBay? I hope I don't get any negative comments about my actions. :rolleyes:

I also hope that certain posters here would learn more about the law and the American judicial system before they say such ridiculously ignorant statements (no offense meant!).
I hope to God that you learn a bit about ethics as well as law before you defend or procecute anyone let alone post such comments here.

Exhaust Port
09-22-2003, 09:38 AM
Hey look at this brief article:

http://www.infinitelybetter.com/index.cfm/page/NewsStory/prodid/648/head/3/cat/3/productzone/news

Hmmm, it seems that Lucasfilm got their leads from internet "chat rooms." But you said that it couldn't happen? I mean, you ARE pre-law.

Darth Poopypants
09-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Exhaust Port, I hope that either you are under the age of 16 or have been watching too many episodes of Law and Order, because your statements are juvenile. We're not talking about a bank robbery or a drug bust - were talking about a movie prop that someone at one point in time had, and whose only reference for legal action would be a vague statement by someone on the internet. The article you referred us to is like comparing apples to oranges...the guy WORKED FOR Lucasfilm, took directly from Lucasfilm (in the tens of thousands of dollars worth of items), and Lucasfilm probably had evidence that he had done so. Again, we're talking about a vague statement on the internet that has no backing whatsoever. Gonk could be lying or exaggerating, we don't know! And neither does Lucasfilm. I suggest you turn off the TV for a while and come to reality and atleast get a basic overview of our judicial system. Sure, I am not board certified and do not pretend to be, but the sole lack of basic knowledge on your part was what made me register in the first place. And second, you ask "who called him names", well, if you don't consider "idiot" a name-call (and you were the one who wrote it!), then I don't know what is. Maybe it's one of those hip new words like "phat".

And to JarJarBinks, you must think you are the "all-knowing God of the Star Wars forums" to think that if someone disagrees with your opinion that they are "up to something fishy" or "one of Gonks friends". You know, people DO have differing thoughts on particular subjects, and just because they differ from your own does not make grounds for conspiracy theories. If you'd like to live in such a place, I suggest you hop on the next plane out of America! (thanks for the "action figure" or whatever it was and I hope that you posters don't take offense to what we call at school a "spirited debate"!)

bobafrett
09-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Does Mr. Poopypants need a diaper change?

Gonk 1979
09-22-2003, 01:32 PM
hey, this thread has gotten out of hand. Thanks for backing me up, Darth P, but I'll go ahead and put a stop to this. THERE WAS AT NO POINT IN TIME ANY "ITEM", OK? I wrote it for conversations sake, and I guess I see where everyone stands on it. So, all this stupid little thread served to do was bring out some of the bad sides of people and get people riled up. Again, I apologize, and seeing as I'm probably hated in these here forums I'll probably just pack it up for good. Soooooo, again I'm sorry. Ciao!

bobafrett
09-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Has Gonk gone? Gone is the Gonk. Goodbye Gonk.

Beast
09-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Exhaust Port, I hope that either you are under the age of 16 or have been watching too many episodes of Law and Order, because your statements are juvenile. We're not talking about a bank robbery or a drug bust - were talking about a movie prop that someone at one point in time had, and whose only reference for legal action would be a vague statement by someone on the internet. The article you referred us to is like comparing apples to oranges...the guy WORKED FOR Lucasfilm, took directly from Lucasfilm (in the tens of thousands of dollars worth of items), and Lucasfilm probably had evidence that he had done so. Again, we're talking about a vague statement on the internet that has no backing whatsoever. Gonk could be lying or exaggerating, we don't know! And neither does Lucasfilm. I suggest you turn off the TV for a while and come to reality and atleast get a basic overview of our judicial system. Sure, I am not board certified and do not pretend to be, but the sole lack of basic knowledge on your part was what made me register in the first place. And second, you ask "who called him names", well, if you don't consider "idiot" a name-call (and you were the one who wrote it!), then I don't know what is. Maybe it's one of those hip new words like "phat".

And to JarJarBinks, you must think you are the "all-knowing God of the Star Wars forums" to think that if someone disagrees with your opinion that they are "up to something fishy" or "one of Gonks friends". You know, people DO have differing thoughts on particular subjects, and just because they differ from your own does not make grounds for conspiracy theories. If you'd like to live in such a place, I suggest you hop on the next plane out of America! (thanks for the "action figure" or whatever it was and I hope that you posters don't take offense to what we call at school a "spirited debate"!)
Nope, I don't consider myself an 'all-knowing God of the Star Wars forums'. I'm just a huge fan, like most of the other folks here. You're more then welcome to your differing thoughts, but I would suggest an alternate career path to lawyer. You're morals and ethics do not make a proper lawyer, unless you're planning to become the next Johnny Cochrane or Robert Shapiro. ;) :D

You're suggesting that because I think you have ties to Gonky, that I should hop on the next plane and leave america? Over the possibility that you know or are Gonk? The hell? Yes, let's get rid of all the folks that have morals and ethics in America. For no good reasons. Please, grow up. Seriously.

And to quote that charming Grand Moff Tarkin: "Charming to the last." :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
09-22-2003, 01:46 PM
hey, this thread has gotten out of hand. Thanks for backing me up, Darth P, but I'll go ahead and put a stop to this. THERE WAS AT NO POINT IN TIME ANY "ITEM", OK? I wrote it for conversations sake, and I guess I see where everyone stands on it. So, all this stupid little thread served to do was bring out some of the bad sides of people and get people riled up. Again, I apologize, and seeing as I'm probably hated in these here forums I'll probably just pack it up for good. Soooooo, again I'm sorry. Ciao!
And the story changes again. This is cute, sounds like a Jedi Mind Trick to me. "There was no item" *waves hand* :rolleyes: Seriously, you've already changed the story twice, don't try to do it again. I highly doubt that you wrote asking about the statute of limitations on a theft, merely for conversations sake. You didn't bring out any bad sides, you brought out people's moral and ethical sides. What did you expect? Seriously? As for hated, not really. Remember the words of those charming collar jockies, "Hate the Sin, Not the Sinner." ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Poopypants
09-22-2003, 02:13 PM
Nope, I don't consider myself an 'all-knowing God of the Star Wars forums'. I'm just a huge fan, like most of the other folks here. You're more then welcome to your differing thoughts, but I would suggest an alternate career path to lawyer. You're morals and ethics do not make a proper lawyer, unless you're planning to become the next Johnny Cochrane or Robert Shapiro. ;) :D

You're suggesting that because I think you have ties to Gonky, that I should hop on the next plane and leave america? Over the possibility that you know or are Gonk? The hell? Yes, let's get rid of all the folks that have morals and ethics in America. For no good reasons. Please, grow up. Seriously.

And to quote that charming Grand Moff Tarkin: "Charming to the last." :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JarJar, when did I ever say that I condone being in possesion of stolen property (because if he didn't take it himself it's just possesion)??? All I said was that there was no grounds for legal action. Period. It's called objectivety and it's the first thing you learn in law school. The "moral" aspect is not in question - the grounds for legal action is. AGAIN, I never commented on it being right or wrong, I commented from a legal standpoint (again, something you learn the first day in law school). Questions of "do I agree with what this guy did" are NOT in question.....whether or not there is sufficient grounds is. And that's what you and Exhaust Port seem to be confused on.

Darth Poopypants
09-22-2003, 02:19 PM
...and for someone who seems to lurk on a Star Wars-toy website all day long to tell someone else that they need to "grow up" is absolutely laughable. Take a look in the mirror, son.

Beast
09-22-2003, 02:36 PM
JarJar, when did I ever say that I condone being in possesion of stolen property (because if he didn't take it himself it's just possesion)??? All I said was that there was no grounds for legal action. Period. It's called objectivety and it's the first thing you learn in law school. The "moral" aspect is not in question - the grounds for legal action is. AGAIN, I never commented on it being right or wrong, I commented from a legal standpoint (again, something you learn the first day in law school). Questions of "do I agree with what this guy did" are NOT in question.....whether or not there is sufficient grounds is. And that's what you and Exhaust Port seem to be confused on.
You never condoned it. But you sure the heck lept to his defense, awful quickly since you just joined our charming community. And it wasn't just possesion of stolen property, note that he traded the item for some 'cool Star Wars swag'. So now were also talking about the sale of stolen goods. As for what the discussion is about, it was in reply to questions involving questionable morals. And Gonk recieved a proper response. I can assure you, neither myself or Exhaust Port are confused on the issue. The only confusing aspect, is someone who just joined, who decides to cause trouble. :p :)

...and for someone who seems to lurk on a Star Wars-toy website all day long to tell someone else that they need to "grow up" is absolutely laughable. Take a look in the mirror, son.
As for this comment, I wasn't even going to dignify it with a response. But I shall anyway. Yes, I am here a lot. But my work allows constant access to a computer, and it allows me to spend my free time here. Which there is quite a lot of it. There are also other factors, which are frankly none of your business. So I'd suggest you take your smart arse comments and aim the at someone who could give any amount of care for your opinion. I'm more then comfortable with my life and my position. And I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
09-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Exhaust Port, I hope that either you are under the age of 16 or have been watching too many episodes of Law and Order, because your statements are juvenile. We're not talking about a bank robbery or a drug bust - were talking about a movie prop that someone at one point in time had, and whose only reference for legal action would be a vague statement by someone on the internet.
You seem to be confused about the conversation here. No one said that the original post alone will get someone it trouble, but it's blabbing like that that gets people asking questions and investigating the claims. Once people start looking into those claims is when they can find evidence. It's how crimes get solved and you don't need to be a Pre-Law student to know that.

This discussion orginally was about stolen property and ethics. You come barreling in here saying your a Pre-law student and stuff said on the internet can't be used against you. Well it seems you're new to the world of the internet and law as you are unaware that yes, things said and posted on such forums can be used for grounds for legal action. My company and it's parent company have both gone after employees for nothing nearly as great as theft as a result of statements on public forums. If you truly feel that I'm wrong then show some proof.

Lucasfilms wants to investigate a claim, they can contact the ISP to track the poster that way or just contact the forum administrator for the contact information of the poster. Notice that your IP is logged for every post. Find them out and see what connection they have to your company. Perhaps it turns out he's a warehouse supervisor or works for a delivery service used by Lucasfilms. We know the theft took place 3 years ago, what went missing at that time? Was it anywhere near the location of the poster? Start gathering leads and go from there.

The article you referred us to is like comparing apples to oranges...the guy WORKED FOR Lucasfilm, took directly from Lucasfilm (in the tens of thousands of dollars worth of items), and Lucasfilm probably had evidence that he had done so.
So theft severity depends upon whether or not you work for the victim or not? Lucasfilm would only punish those from the inside? I doubt they would pursue one theft any different than any other. Plus, you never know if something is done from the inside or not unless you investigate it anyway.

Again, we're talking about a vague statement on the internet that has no backing whatsoever. Gonk could be lying or exaggerating, we don't know! And neither does Lucasfilm.
True, but you're so blinded by your belief that no one can be held accountable for statements made online that you missed the whole point of our original comments that FIRST it was illegal and SECOND it was just poor ethics.

I suggest you turn off the TV for a while and come to reality and atleast get a basic overview of our judicial system. Sure, I am not board certified and do not pretend to be, but the sole lack of basic knowledge on your part was what made me register in the first place.
Let's see, all you've done is state your in Pre-Law and said that everyone else doesn't understand the judicial system. Bravo. So we're all wrong? Prove it.

And second, you ask "who called him names", well, if you don't consider "idiot" a name-call (and you were the one who wrote it!), then I don't know what is. Maybe it's one of those hip new words like "phat".
Calling a thief sympathizer an idiot is what you take offense to? I think you need something thicker than onion paper for skin.

Darth Poopypants
09-22-2003, 03:29 PM
exhaust port, I responded to this thread not based upon morals or ethics but to the statement that Gonk's statements made him a possible target for legal action. Yes, Lucasfilm could try and backtrack Gonk's ISP, but to what end? Gonk said "his friend"....do we know which friend? Do we know where he lives or his name? NO! And Lucasfilm is not going to spend the time and money on such vague and unsubstantiated comments and even if they did Gonk has no responsibility to answer those questions. He could merely say "oh, I was just messing around" and that simply would end it. Proof is needed, my friend. I also found it funny how you called him an "idiot" and then questioned who called him a name. Hilarious. I'm not backing or sympathizing with anyone, but just responding to the earlier comments made by you and others that suggested that Gonk was going to somehow pay for his statements. I also found it hilarious how someone like JarJarBinks, who has close to 9,000 posts on a Toy Website, could tell someone to "grow up. seriously." That's all.

Darth Poopypants
09-22-2003, 03:37 PM
....another thing that's laughable is JarJar's statement that he spends pretty much all his so-called working hours online at a toy website. Hmmmm, it's probably "adults" like you who are causing our economy to falter. You criticize Gonks friend for being devoid of morals, and yet you seem to have all of your priorities straight by posting 9,000 posts at work. Glad to see your employer is getting their money's worth. And we were talking about morals???

Beast
09-22-2003, 03:39 PM
exhaust port, I responded to this thread not based upon morals or ethics but to the statement that Gonk's statements made him a possible target for legal action. Yes, Lucasfilm could try and backtrack Gonk's ISP, but to what end? Gonk said "his friend"....do we know which friend? Do we know where he lives or his name? NO! And Lucasfilm is not going to spend the time and money on such vague and unsubstantiated comments and even if they did Gonk has no responsibility to answer those questions. He could merely say "oh, I was just messing around" and that simply would end it. Proof is needed, my friend. I also found it funny how you called him an "idiot" and then questioned who called him a name. Hilarious. I'm not backing or sympathizing with anyone, but just responding to the earlier comments made by you and others that suggested that Gonk was going to somehow pay for his statements. I also found it hilarious how someone like JarJarBinks, who has close to 9,000 posts on a Toy Website, could tell someone to "grow up. seriously." That's all.
Funny, I've re-read everything in the entire thread, and not one person every said that 'Gonk' himself was going to pay for anything. And find it hilarous all you like, I've also been here over 2 years, and my current average posts per day is only around 11. So not that bad, in the long run. And it's more then a mere 'toy website', it's a community. And I enjoy speaking and discussing things with my on-line friends. I would consider myself quite mature, atleast I'm not rubbing pre-law status in peoples faces. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
09-22-2003, 03:45 PM
....another thing that's laughable is JarJar's statement that he spends pretty much all his so-called working hours online at a toy website. Hmmmm, it's probably "adults" like you who are causing our economy to falter. You criticize Gonks friend for being devoid of morals, and yet you seem to have all of your priorities straight by posting 9,000 posts at work. Glad to see your employer is getting their money's worth. And we were talking about morals???
And like I said, find it laughable all you like. And don't blame myself for the so-called faltering of the economy. My morals are perfectly in place, as my job allows me computer access. And who said all my posting takes place at work. And who said I have an employer/boss? And you don't even know what my field of work is in. There are jobs that allow people computer access you know. Seriously my friend, use that charming pre-law brain of yours to actually think before you open your trap. Not to mention I did say there were other factors to consider, that were none of your business.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
09-22-2003, 03:51 PM
exhaust port, I responded to this thread not based upon morals or ethics but to the statement that Gonk's statements made him a possible target for legal action. Yes, Lucasfilm could try and backtrack Gonk's ISP, but to what end? Gonk said "his friend"....do we know which friend? Do we know where he lives or his name? NO! And Lucasfilm is not going to spend the time and money on such vague and unsubstantiated comments And you know what a company will do how? Do you know what was taken? Do you know how much it is worth? Perhaps it might be in their interest to try and track it down.

Proof is needed, my friend. I never said that it didn't but assuming that someone couldn't get a lead from a public forum shows ignorance.

Plus, I'm not your friend. Do you need proof of that too?

I also found it funny how you called him an "idiot" and then questioned who called him a name. Hilarious.
I find it funny that you think writing the word "idiot" is worth getting your panties in a bunch. I figured by your accusation that someone had attempted to insult GONK by name calling. I used "idiot" as a means of classification determined by observation and not used directly as an insult. Sympathizing with a thief makes someone an idiot.

I also found it hilarious how ... I find it hilarious that you've done nothing to prove your point. I thought big fancy lawyers used precident and facts to prove points. You've done neither. I guess they must teach that in your second year.

Darth Poopypants
09-22-2003, 04:12 PM
hmmmm, nice one. So, in your warped world "idiot" is no longer an insult but a "classification of observation". Nice try at spinning it, but it doesn't quite work my friend. Your lack of knowledge about anything other than toys or paint decals has gotten me bored pretty fast. Again, I point to your early posts insinuating that I wouldn't make a good lawyer because I don't act based on my morals or ethics. Son, doing exactly that makes you a horrible lawyer. You MUST watch too much Law and Order to have that sensibility. AND, if you read your earlier posts, your statements weren't so much based on the ethics and morals of the situation but more of an "your an idiot, your going to get caught, George are you listening?" reasoning. Now it's shifted to morals and ethics once you finally realized that Gonk's statements were not liable and have no grounds for even a passing glance. My advice, do the nation a favor and go to college or if you have, you need to go back. I'm tired of my taxes paying your welfare/unemployement checks....

plasticfetish
09-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Has Gonk gone? Gone is the Gonk. Goodbye Gonk.
That's pretty good bobafrett, but your Haiku form is a little off. Try this ...

Has the Gonk gone now?
Gone is the Gonk that asked us.
Goodbye to you Gonk.

Exhaust Port
09-22-2003, 04:26 PM
I guess in the world of a man who calls himself Poopypants, idiot is as big of an insult as it comes.

idiot n. A foolish person.

Gonk is a foolish person for sympathalizing with a know thief. There, is that better.

As for your ability to act as a lawyer, you seem to be easily influenced by emotion, not a good trait. If you don't believe me, remember you went from being a long time lurker to registering to posting 7 times in the matter of a few hours. That seems to be blinding you to the actual statements being made.

Please quote me where I said that his comments are grounds for legal action.

Rather, my comments said that his comments are grounds for investigation by others. Don't make me write this again.

As for college, I've been there, done that. Your still in school and your talking trash? How about getting out in the real world and earning a professional living. Thinking that college is going to validate your self worth shows ignorance. The education doesn't make the man, his actions do. So far all you've done is sit in a class room.

Darth Poopypants
09-22-2003, 04:33 PM
sorry, exhaust port, but my "going back to school" statement wasn't meant as an isult. It was just a classification of observation. See-ya! Have fun with your toys, boys!

....and for the love of God, Bobafrett, I hope thats not you in screen-avatar. If it is, I'm sure you mirror the action feature of the "Obi Wan Acklay Battle".

....ps - "The things you own, end up owning you"
There is no greater proof than this forum....

Exhaust Port
09-22-2003, 05:02 PM
sorry, exhaust port, but my "going back to school" statement wasn't meant as an isult. It was just a classification of observation.
Boy you can't even throw out insults well either. So now you're saying that "going back to school" is a classification? "Uneducated" would be a classification. It seems you need to stay in school and learn a thing or two.

You also seem to be poorly attempting to bash SW collectors. And why were you coming to this forum "for quite a while"? I'm sure it was to brush up on your school work. Pot calling the kettle black.

Pretty fancy quote there. Did you get that off your "Quote a Day" calander.

Why don't you stick to sitting in a sterile classroom and while the rest of us live our productive lives out in the real world. Your attempts of showcasing your non-existant lawyer skills are only embarrassing yourself here. Heck, even Gonk left you standing alone.

Kidhuman
09-22-2003, 05:17 PM
And I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Aint that the truth brother.

In my opinion, this thread is ridiculous. The original question was answered. I say just let it be. Dont bring yourselves down to that level of others. Let this thread fall to the bottom of the heap of abandoned threads. If Gonk and darth Poopypants(hehe, I had to laugh at that name) want to go or still argue let em. Or maybe a mod could just lock this thread for good since it is going nowhere.

Beast
09-22-2003, 05:21 PM
sorry, exhaust port, but my "going back to school" statement wasn't meant as an isult. It was just a classification of observation. See-ya! Have fun with your toys, boys!

....and for the love of God, Bobafrett, I hope thats not you in screen-avatar. If it is, I'm sure you mirror the action feature of the "Obi Wan Acklay Battle".

Don't mind me, just quoting to avoid him editing himself, before a mod sees his charming posts. But really Darth P, if you're going to be a lawyer someday, I'd suggest working on the schoolwork for your convincing arguments class a bit more. Because you're terrible at it. If you acted this way in court, I can imagine you getting disbarred really fast. Or atleast fined and held in contempt. ;)

And you're comments about Bobafrett, highly immature. And you call us boys, please. It was especially rude, because Bobafrett didn't even hardly have much imput on the thread. And to attack him for what he looks like, now that is just being a big infant. If you must know, he wore that Tusken Raider costume to a recent Star Wars convention, where he was helping out at the Paizo booth. But of course you're a newcomer, even though you've supposedly been lurking for ages. ;)

And I agree with Exhaust Port, on all his above statements. You're here for what reason, unless you're a Star Wars collector or fan? Just to start trouble with those who are? Doubtful. Charming case of a pot calling the kettle black. And if you need an even bigger example who's the 'boy' in this case, look no further then your rude attitude and your charming forum handle. :stupid: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
09-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Alright, I read through this entire . . . . I can't even call it what I want to. Anyways this entire thread went straight into the Porcelain Bowl quicker then I could scroll down. The insults will stop, from everyone. Everyone will just go their seperate ways and agree to dissagree. And if you have any problems with this, you can contact myself, Jeditricks, or SirSteve.

THREAD CLOSED