PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk "Underworld" (spoilers)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Alright, i caught this flick last night and i had pretty good hopes for it. I'll just say that it was better than what i thought, but not as good as i had hoped. I loved how the film was shot; very moody, dark, and atmospheric. Kate Beckinsdale is a sweet sweet goddess, but i felt that she was kinda wasted in this movie. She did an excellent job, but some of the other actors (namely that guy who played Kraven) didn't cut it for me. He just seemed too whiny to be head of the convent.

I must say that the film had numerous plot angles and most of them worked, but towards the end it got really cliche'. Like about how the master betrayed Selene and whatnot. Still, it had some good action sequences and whatnot, and it nearly pulled everything off without a hitch. I'd hafta give this flick 3 out of 4 stars. :D

derek
09-20-2003, 11:42 PM
i saw it today and liked it. i wish the other vampires were as talented a fighter as kate beckinsdale, as they all seemed rather helpless against the werewolves. i also would of preferred to see more of the werewolves in action, especially a lot more gore.........i say, if you're going to have an "R" rating, go "hard R" or go PG-13! :crazed: this film could of easily of been PG-13. :o

i really enjoyed the flash back scenes and think those would of made a better film. maybe they will make a pre-quil.......or a crossover flick with Blade.

Hellboy
09-20-2003, 11:55 PM
I saw this the other day and really enjoyed it. The opening sequence in the subway was incredible and if I have any complaints its that I would've liked to have seen more scenes with that sort if intensity. The acting was good especially the beautiful Kate Beckinsale but I agree the guy who played Kraven was a bit weak. He had a great look but what was up with that broken accent he had? The guy who played Lucian was great and the way the story ended up playing out made me like his character a lot. Even though it's basically Romeo and Juliet with vampires and werewolves it has enough thats unique about it that it stands on it's own. It's so set up for a sequel too. 3/4 stars for me as well.

scruffziller
09-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Yea it was a cool flick. I am trying to figure out who were all the actors were and what else they played in like Lucien and Victor. It was funny that some folks didn't know what had happened right at the very end. But I did.......:D
Also wasn't he the next one to rule??

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-23-2003, 03:14 PM
Scruff- Yeah, question about that. Am i to assume that the wolf blood that leaked into him caused him to die? cos that's sure what it looked like. So, i take it that Selene (grrrrrrrrrrowl!) and the other dude are set to rule now? :D

derek
09-23-2003, 03:32 PM
Scruff- Yeah, question about that. Am i to assume that the wolf blood that leaked into him caused him to die? cos that's sure what it looked like. So, i take it that Selene (grrrrrrrrrrowl!) and the other dude are set to rule now? :D

the vampire in the underground tomb at the end was a relative of the doctor, if i recall correctly. both of them had a genetic ability to be both werewolf and vampire, and i think at the end, when the vampire's eyes went black meant he was turning into a super vampire/werewolf hybrid, like the doctor.

Beast
09-23-2003, 03:38 PM
the vampire in the underground tomb at the end was a relative of the doctor, if i recall correctly. both of them had a genetic ability to be both werewolf and vampire, and i think at the end, when the vampire's eyes went black meant he was turning into a super vampire/werewolf hybrid, like the doctor.
Derek's right. But he's not a relative of the doctor, but a close relative of the original vampiric bloodline. So when he drank of the werewolf blood he become a hybrid. Just look at his eyes turn black, just like Michael's did before he changed. So I assume the next movie will be Hybrid vs. Hybrid. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
09-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Derek's right. But he's not a relative of the doctor, but a close relative of the original vampiric bloodline. So when he drank of the werewolf blood he become a hybrid. Just look at his eyes turn black, just like Michael's did before he changed. So I assume the next movie will be Hybrid vs. Hybrid. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Yes that is exactly what I meant......:D
My friends said they didn't catch that the first time around.
That Vampire in the ground crypt that was absorbing the doctor's lyken blood was of the Corvinus ancestory. Did anybody think they made these vampires out to be wimps? It sure seemed that way except for Victor.

Does anybody remeber the Scooby Doo ep where at the end the Vampires and Werewolves were fighting and they were biting each other and were all becoming half and half.:D

Beast
09-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Does anybody remeber the Scooby Doo ep where at the end the Vampires and Werewolves were fighting and they were biting each other and were all becoming half and half.:D
Actually, if I recall correctly that was an episode of 'The Real Ghostbusters'. As I remember that one quite well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
09-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Did anybody think they made these vampires out to be wimps?

Well when you put the 2 species up against each other in a straight up fight the werewolves would most likely come out on top because of their physical superiority. Thats why we see the vampires resort to using so much weaponry in their fights. I wouldn't say they were protrayed weak just outmuscled. I thought the vamp with the whips was way cool but in the end what chance do they really stand even with weapons. I do think part of the message of the film though was the fact that they had become overconfident and complacent in their decadent lifestyles so I suppose that could be precieved as being wimpy.

scruffziller
09-25-2003, 11:54 AM
Actually, if I recall correctly that was an episode of 'The Real Ghostbusters'. As I remember that one quite well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Yea. I think you're right.

AmanaMatt
09-25-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm glad some seemed to like this; I thought it was a lot of fun, and pretty kick ***!

I am easy to please these days, but I think some are being a bit hard on this one....to each their own, I guess.

Beast
09-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Oh my god. The movie was fine, but they're pulling a trilogy on us. We already knew that there would be a sequel, but now they're also working on a prequel. Actually a prequel would probably be better then a sequel, especially if it details the origins of the lines more, and has the full Viktor vs. Lucien storyline. The news is from Creature-Corner, so don't pay any attention to the Star Wars/Indy comparison. Especially since UW is no where near the quality of those films. And Star Wars isn't a Trilogy, and once Indy IV comes out, neither will Indy be. :)

Well, Underworld kicked some *** at the box office (though I'm curious to see if it suffers the 50% slide most other movies that debuted at #1 have been seeing), and just to remind us all how predictable Hollywood is, it's been announced that Danny McBride and Len Weisman would be writing/directing (respectively) not one but TWO sequels to the vampires vs. werewolves movie.

We already knew there was set to be another, but now it seems the film will be just a part of a trilogy, destined to be up there with Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

On a serious note, this is nothing but good for us fans of monster fighting, and it sure as hell is better than sequels to Uptown Girls or something as horrific. Despite what's been reported so far, it looks like the second film will be a direct sequel, and the third film will be the prequel the cast and crew have mentioned during their promotional interviews. No word of the delicious Kate Beckinsale would be returning, but who else could fit in that outfit if she doesn't?

Now, it's been determined these definitely on their way...can we stop talking about it for a while?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
09-25-2003, 06:51 PM
Man it seems that any sci-fi/horror/action movie that does well at the box office these days automatically becomes a franchise. :greedy: Not that I'm complaining but sometimes it does keep the flow of new ideas from getting produced in favor of what might be precieved by the studios as being a sure thing. I guess Hollywood is realising that most of these comic book fan-boys are reaching middle age and have money to spend on seeing the things they've been reading about for years come to life on the big screen. I do agree that a sequel to a movie of this caliber is much more appealing to me than say Charlie's Angels 3 or Leagally Blonde 3.

derek
09-25-2003, 07:13 PM
as i said earlier, i think a prequil would be really good. i thought the flashback scenes were really cool.

did anyone besides me think vicktor was doing a pretty good "gary oldman" impersonation?

darthvyn
09-29-2003, 11:58 AM
yeah, i saw this last night... it was really cool. i was pretty sure they would do both a sequel and a prequel. that's at least a little cooler than two sequels...

i thought the lycans were cooler than the vamps... all the vamps except for celine were a-holes. all the guys hanging out in the lobby of the vamp mansion looked like foppish euro-trash... the lycans were a pack of wild animals with a purpose - that was what made them cool... i told my g/f that i would rather be a lycan than a vamp in this movie. this annoyed her as she loves vampires. i said i would really rather be the hybrid, but if i had to choose...

i almost had to walk home...

;)

Beast
03-10-2004, 01:14 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for the news, but there's an uncut extended edition of Underworld coming out May 25th. It's going to be 2 discs. :)

Due on May 25th from Columbia is Underworld: Unrated Extended Cut.

This two-disc set will feature an anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, new commentary track (with director Len Wiseman and actors Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman), "Fang vs. Fiction" documentary, featurettes ("The Look of Underworld," "Designing Underworld" and "Visual Effects"), deleted scenes, trailers & TV spots, a 16-page design sketchbook, an Underworld mini-comic book, and the bonus materials from the first DVD ("The Making of Underworld," "Creature Effects," "Sights and Sounds" and "Stunts" featurettes, Storyboard Comparison, music video). Retail is $34.95.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks