PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

Exhaust Port
09-21-2003, 12:15 AM
Anyone here have/use a digital camera? I figured I'd see if anyone does before I ask questions.

bobafrett
09-21-2003, 02:05 AM
I just bought one used from a trusted friend. I've been experimenting with it. The cards are kind of pricey, but you can use them over as long as you delete the pictures you have stored on there. Once they are downloaded to the computer though, you shouldn't have to much difficulty with that. I have kept all my cards though as I still don't feel comforatable using the computer to store pictures, without having the cards as a back up. You must realize though, I came from having a APS camera which you can keep a copy of your negatives in a roll. Other than that, I find the advantages far out weigh the isadvantages. I really enjoy being able to see the thumbnail size print on the back right after taking the picture. This way if the shot is to dark, you can make the corrections while you still have the subject matter in front of you. I also like how easy it is to download the photos to the computer to share with family and friends.

plasticfetish
09-21-2003, 03:37 AM
Yes, I use a Canon Power Shot. It's a few years old now, but it's still great. My wife has a little Sony camera ... it has really good picture quality also.

Exhaust Port
09-21-2003, 09:46 AM
I recently got an Olympus C4000 and have been playing with the settings in different environments trying to figure out how to use it to it's fullest potential. A lot of times the AUTO settings seem to do a pretty good job but as soon as there is an overcast sky or limited light I've found that adjusting the settings I can get better results. The problem is that since I'm still a novice that it takes a few minutes and a few shots to get the new settings. That's fine and all but sometimes I feel I'm wasting time rather than shooting the subject.

Anyone have any advice for settings in low light?

plasticfetish
09-22-2003, 01:28 AM
Well, low light is the big killer when it comes to digital photography. Digital cameras tend to need a lot of light and when it comes to a big wide outdoor shot with very low light, you're probably going to end up with a blurry image. Digital cameras are a lot less sensitive than film and no where near as "fast" for the most part. The more you learn to use your camera ... where all the buttons are and what they do ... you will probably spend a little less time messing about. When I shoot in low light situations, I try to use a tripod (I've one of those tiny ones that I carry around.) If the camera moves at all when it's dark, you'll get a blurry shot. It's really just a matter of shooting a lot of photos and learning what will and will not work. When it's better to use the auto settings and when it's best to push them around yourself. Get a big memory card and rechargeable batteries and waste as many shots as you want. That's the benefit of digital ... experimenting is cheap.

Exhaust Port
09-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Luckily years ago my girlfriend bought me an awesome tripod which I've realized as you've said is a necessity in low light. Luckily I took it with me to USAF museum this summer as it would have been impossible to take pictures in the dark hangers.

Do you have any experience with monopods? I'm thinking about getting one to use when I'm on the road or in confined areas.

Here's some of my lowlight pictures:

darthvyn
09-22-2003, 12:50 PM
i have an olympus d-40z. i love it! when you're talking about low light conditions, i find the only time i get grainy is when i'm zoomed in a lot digitally (it has a zoom lens and digital zoom after that...)

here's a nice pic from when i was at my friend's summer house...

Exhaust Port
09-22-2003, 01:43 PM
I have an Olympus C-4000 which I just love! That's a great outdoor shot. I still haven't done any low light outdoor stuff yet.

dr_evazan22
09-22-2003, 09:37 PM
I'm planing on purchasing a digital camera soon adn have been keeping my eye on the Best Buy circulars, tearing out pages to get an idea of prices and features.

I don't take a lot of pic's usually, but I've been wanting to catalog my collection (in photo's). I've been looking for camera's with a higher visible zoom and as high as possible megapixel for what I can afford.

Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Exhaust Port
09-23-2003, 12:17 AM
I know the Olympus C750 has a big optical zoom (one of the biggest for non-SLR digital cameras) and has gotten good review for it's picture quality with 4 Megapixals. The C740 is cheaper but with 3.1 MP. If zoom is a big feature for your future purchase I would recommend either of these 2 models.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_c750uz.asp

My camera is the second Olympus that I've used and have noticed a great quality to the final product.