PDA

View Full Version : Er

InsaneJediGirl
09-21-2003, 10:11 AM
When is the show supposed to air again?This Thursday?The only problem is I forgot about last season.Carter went to Africa and came back..Thats about as far back as I can remember.Did it end there?

James Boba Fettfield
09-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Seaspn premiere is this approaching Thursday night. Last season ended with the episode you described about Carter going to Africa and leaving in the end.

InsaneJediGirl
09-30-2003, 10:14 AM
Thanks.I missed ER Thursday,but I doubt I missed anything important or exciting:rolleyes:

dr_evazan22
09-30-2003, 08:00 PM
The show began with Carter letting himself into Abby's apt. Instead of being happy to see him, she asked for her key back. Later in show the hospital received a call saying that Kovac was dead. Of course the person who took the call was new to the show and didn't know that Kovac was a doctor there, so she kind of announced it to the entire ER. Everyone stopped at the news.

Carter and Abby continued to fight thru show. When Carter heard about Kovac he decided to return to Africa to retrieve the body. Abby asked him to stay, but he goes anyway...

This week is Carter back in Africa.

InsaneJediGirl
10-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Well,Kovac isnt dead,So I'm wondering if Carrie Weaver dies.Shes been on the show forever,so she might want off.Interesting

kool-aid killer
10-03-2003, 10:12 AM
Im glad to see im not the only ER fan on this site. I didnt start watching it until about two years ago and i cant believe i spent so many years thinking the show was wack. I didnt get to see the premiere either due to a Husker football game showing at the same time but seen last nights episode. I wonder if they will flip between showing Carter working in the Congo and everyone else at the hospital in Chicago or if they will give him a few episodes off and then bring him back to Chicago.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-03-2003, 10:27 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting sick of Carter. His defeatist attitude toward everything is getting monotonous. We need more Romano and his ****y attitude. That's what makes the show interesting right now for me.

James Boba Fettfield
10-03-2003, 11:07 AM
Agreed! Romano is who needs to be focused on. I miss the Carter of the old days. Take a look at seasons 1 and 2 for an idea. He was someone you could relate to, now he's in love with a character that should have never been brought to the show (how many episodes have been about her and her messed up family?!) I swear, after Greene was killed off and Benton left, I've been having a hard time trying to identify with the show.

JediTricks
10-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Well,Kovac isnt dead,So I'm wondering if Carrie Weaver dies.Shes been on the show forever,so she might want off.InterestingMAXIMUM SPOILERAGE

You've been warned...

Romano supposedly dies in about 6 eps.

dr_evazan22
10-04-2003, 02:19 AM
Good! I'm sorry, but I don't really care for him. And seeing him act w/ his arm inside his shirt doesn't do it for me.

I used to like Abby, but I agree that they've spent a little too much time on her and her family.

InsaneJediGirl
10-04-2003, 07:26 AM
The character that dies..eh..was okay.Ever since the arm incident he hasnt been right.

dr_evazan,I agree.Sally Fields had a wonderful performance in my opinion as her mother,but taking it so far that Abby's brother is messed up to is just not needed.

James Boba Fettfield
10-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Right about the time they introduced Abby's mother was when I started to miss the first few seasons of the show.

kool-aid killer
10-04-2003, 02:30 PM
I really dont care too much for Dr. Romano but agree with you guys in regards to Abby's family (the brother irks me to no end, just take your medicine fool!) having a little too much screen time.

James Boba Fettfield
10-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Boy, tonight's episode was one of the worst I've seen lately. The only redeeming factors were Romano and Weaver having their verbal fight, and seeing Romano get into that tangle with that new doctor who had the asthma. This episode was missing Carter, too, something I didn't like, even though his character has started going south in the last season. The patients didn't interest me in the episode, either. This episode felt Abby centered, like she's become the main character. Deb Chen and Pratt's relationship went nowhere, the nurses situation was pointless, and Elizabeth has a new man in her life. BOO, I say. This series used to have something to it, an edge, it balanced the ER and the peronal lives of the doctors perfectly...but lately it's like there is no focus on the ER and it's patients, and it's all about the what's going outside the ER. Oh well, maybe next week's episode will bring some faith back to me.

dr_evazan22
10-09-2003, 10:47 PM
I thought that last week Abby looked very old... Lot's of age / laugh lines on her face. This ep brought her back to the young Abby that I fell in love with a couple of years ago.

Too much new blood on the show! I didn't like the guy that got into the argument w/ Romano. And I can't stand Weaver! B!

kool-aid killer
10-10-2003, 07:13 AM
I thought Cooper (the guy who got in the argument with Romano) was funny. "Coop" can stick around a bit more IMO but i feel there are too many cast members. I think the point of having the nurses walkout was just to help create a hectic day for Abby. Anybody else ever notice how Romano seemed to like Elizabeth? I dont know if he couldnt express himself correctly, if she knew but wasnt interested, or if she didnt know at all.

dr_evazan22
10-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Romano had been hitting on Elizabeth before she was married to Greene. He had been sexually harrassing her after she spurned him.

InsaneJediGirl
10-10-2003, 03:30 PM
"Coop" is okay,the new "love interest" for Elizabeth though,I hate.He's really a jerk,like a young Romano.

As for Abby,I thought the episode was far to centered on her.(Dont like the char)What do you think next weeks big suprise is?When the little girl says stop when the doctors are working???

James Boba Fettfield
11-13-2003, 09:21 PM
So is Carter gone from the series for good now.....or what?

darthzirock
11-14-2003, 01:48 AM
So is Carter gone from the series for good now.....or what?

Noah Wyle's wife had a baby last year and he wanted less time on the series to spend it with his family. So, he won't be in about 10-12 episodes this season. That's why the first two episodes from this season were actually filmed last year!

Btw, I've been watching ER since the pilot first aired. Same with Law & Order and NYPD Blue. I used to watch The Practice, too, but last year just ruined it for me. The Dragnet revival with Ed O'Neill ("My name is Bundy, I carry a shoehorn") was good last year, but it stinks now that they've made him a lieutenant and given him a whole squad of detectives to work with (and the title change to L.A. Dragnet was just idiotic!).

Getting back to ER ... yeah, once Erique LaSalle and Anthony Edwards left, the show just started to lose it. I thought Noah Wyle would hold the series together, but his relationship with Maura Tierney has been tedious and repetitive. If they're losing Paul McCrane now, too, it's gonna really suffer. Laura Innes is barely in it anymore, and this new crew of med students just ain't cutting it for me (pun intended). And why did they bother bringing Sherry Stringfield back just to waste her? Susan hasn't had a single decent storyline since coming back, and this guest stint by Bob Newhart--sheesh, but it's actually so dull it's painful to watch!

InsaneJediGirl
11-14-2003, 05:47 AM
I didnt watch last nights episode.I doubt I missed anything good or exciting.A helicopter is supposed to crash land next week,that will probably be the best show of this season.

James Boba Fettfield
11-14-2003, 07:42 AM
The only exciting things were Romano using his fake hand to grab that new nurse's butt and she pulled his hand off. The other thing was that guy (played by Bob Newhart) who was losing his vision that Dr. Lewis was visiting, he shot himself in the head and was brought into the ER with a DNR attached to his body. Dr. Lewis said she knew him and it's what he would have wanted, so they did not try to save him. Oh, and Chen's (spelling?) parents were hurt in China, so she left to go see them. I believe that's all the major stuff.

dr_evazan22
11-14-2003, 03:57 PM
When the little kid was getting his ehad X-rayed, I thought he was going to end uop getting hurt somehow, b/c he was being ignored except that Corday kept looking over.

I liked the way that Abby looked. Kind of back to the way she looked early on.

kool-aid killer
11-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Im just waiting for the day that Pratt socks Romano. I wasnt too big on the Bob Newhart guest appearance either. It just seemed very boring and a waste of time. Im hoping they keep Abbies brother out of this season, hes wack and it gets tiring hearing, "But youve got to take your meds!" I wish Gallant would get more screen time, he just seems kind of wasted. As for the new people, i dont like the red head guy but the two girls are okay.

dr_evazan22
11-14-2003, 08:48 PM
Im just waiting for the day that Pratt socks Romano. i dont like the red head guy but the two girls are okay.

Yeah, I want to see Pratt do that also. I like the new nurse, with the kid, but the kid is getting very annoying.

James Boba Fettfield
11-20-2003, 10:11 PM
Looks like JT was right about the Romano thing. Even though we knew it was coming, it still was shocking. Donal Logue's character surprised me by staying alive, I thought he had died.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. Carter's appearance was nice, though I don't like seeing him with whoever that woman was. Hope the next new episode continues with the level of quality that this episode had.

Lord Malakite
11-20-2003, 10:59 PM
Looks like JT was right about the Romano thing. Even though we knew it was coming, it still was shocking. Donal Logue's character surprised me by staying alive, I thought he had died.
The look on Romano's face was priceless. :D That chopper really hates him. :p :crazed: Only thing I was disappointed with is that nobody in the ER knows...yet. It would of been nice if they included that at the very end.

darthzirock
11-21-2003, 03:09 PM
I almost soiled myself laughing at poor Robert "Rocket" Romano's squishy demise! It was just so ironic and mean-spirited, yet ultimately well-deserved. Although Romano was a generally rotten little man, there were flashes of actual humanity throughout his tenure on the series. His signing at little deaf Reese Benton; his tender advice to Elizabeth Corday regarding Mark Greene's upcoming demise (granted, that was motivated mostly by his lust for her, but it appeared he did genuinely care for her, too); and his bringing his own dog into surgery rather than letting a vet do it. However, he was mostly an abusive, vulgar jerk with serious misogynistic and racist tendancies. It seemed that he had already received his karmic comeuppance last year with the loss of his left arm and his career as a surgeon. But, to be squashed by the crashing helicopter and then not even have anyone in the ER notice--oh, man! I just lost it!

Yeah, I was kinda thrown when Chuck didn't die, too. And which nurse got snuffed with the chopper blade impaling her through the back? At first I thought it was Chuny, but then I saw her in the ER later. Man, I wish I'd taped that episode now!

Anybody know when new episodes are scheduled?

dr_evazan22
11-21-2003, 11:18 PM
I wish that red head pot smoker had bought it too!

It was a good way to have him go out. The only other way that I can think of would be to have him succumb to a moment pain and kill himself (or someone else kill him).

JediTricks
11-23-2003, 06:12 PM
They should have a separate sub-channel that you can turn on so little animated sections can be added to the screen. For Romano's death, the sub-channel should have added Nelson Muntz to the shot so he could point and deliver his famous catch-phrase. :D

I believe the nurse that was killed was just a redshirt.

darthzirock
11-24-2003, 01:44 AM
I believe the nurse that was killed was just a redshirt.

No, it was a floral-print smock.

Was it the slightly chubby Asian-Hispanic nurse, Helene, perhaps?

Lord Malakite
11-24-2003, 12:20 PM

I'm not certain if you really don't know what JT meant by "redshirt" or if you are just trying to be smart. :p

In case you really don't, "redshirt" I believe is JT's Star Trek phrase of saying she was a "no name character" who had no other reason, backstory, etc. to be on the show except to be killed off for a dramatic effect. If you go back and watch the classic Star Trek series, you will see that these "no names" who were always killed happen to be the red shirted officers. :D

dr_evazan22
11-24-2003, 03:56 PM

That was kinda funny! lol

I thought it was some term for an extra, but thatnks for the info.

JediTricks
11-24-2003, 11:31 PM
So which was more gruesome, Romano's death in ER or in Robocop? :D

James Boba Fettfield
11-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Robocop, hands down. His character was cooler in Robocop, too.

You a college boy or something?

Think you can outsmart a bullet?

kool-aid killer
11-25-2003, 08:19 PM
Ahhh! I missed this episode. Sounds like it was a good one too. Well hopefully when Thursdays show begans it will do a quick recap and i can see how he meets his end. Darthzirock, i completly agree with your description of Romano. Instead of him becoming a better person after he lost his arm he seemed to turn colder.

One last question, will they be showing a new episode this Thursday? I hope not because i probably wont be able to watch it with the Thanksgiving feast going on.

JediTricks
11-25-2003, 11:50 PM
No new eps of any regular show this Thursday.

James Boba Fettfield
11-26-2003, 06:00 AM
You can't fault Romano for becoming worse. Losing an arm and losing any chance of continuing doing what you love to do would get even to the best of us.

Romano took it very hard not being allowed to perform surgeries anymore after Anspaugh removed him from the surgical team. Then he gets stuck taking care of the ER, which is something he'd never enjoy doing. Rocket Romano lost all purpose, and now he's gone.

darthzirock
12-03-2003, 11:30 PM
No new eps of any regular show this Thursday.

The first new ER, post-squishing of Romano, airs tonight (12/4/03) at 10 PM! Think they'll have his squished & scorched prosthetic arm mounted over the ER doors?

darthzirock
12-05-2003, 01:06 AM
Well, last night's ER finally acknowledged the death-by-helicopter of Dr. Robert "Rocket" Romano. And once again, it was a festival of love--NOT! No one but Lizzie Corday showed up for the memorial service that she had to organize. Not even hospital chief Donald Anspaugh! Yet, Neela admonished Pratt for his comment about Romano having "seriously p1$$ed off a helicopter in a previous life." At the episode's close, Lizzie and Kerry Weaver are at the makeshift memorial for all those killed in the helicopter crash, and after Lizzie says, "This hospital was his life, it was all he had," Kerry admits that, "We'll all miss him, even if we don't know it."

Paul McCrane is an excellent actor, and he really made Romano the sort of character you love to hate. I wasn't thrilled with the whole "Romano loses his arm and gets kicked down to the ER" storyline, but it made sense to do that since he was leaving anyway. If he'd stayed, I think the writers would pretty much have been forced to explore a Romano/Corday relationship, which might have been interesting--after all, Lizzie has been known to have a thing for bald guys!

James Boba Fettfield
12-05-2003, 07:31 AM
It was an alright episode, and I'm glad no people showed up for the memorial from the ER. None of those remaining ER hacks have been around long enough to know the greatness that was Romano.

Dr. Green dies, everybody shows up...even Wild Willy and Benton! Romano dies, only Elizabeth cares enough to actually do anything in his memory.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-05-2003, 12:39 PM
So did Paul McCrane flat out quit or did he get written out like most people that pass through the show? I can't imagine him wanting to quit. What else is he going to do?

dr_evazan22
12-05-2003, 09:47 PM
I really think the new nurse is cute, but I hate hate hate her kid. The kid is written in to so many scenes i'm inclined to think something is going to happen to him (not soon enough though!). What's up with his fascination with blood and gore? And why in the world steal a finger?

Looking forward to Carter returning.

darthzirock
12-06-2003, 12:24 AM
So did Paul McCrane flat out quit or did he get written out like most people that pass through the show? I can't imagine him wanting to quit. What else is he going to do?

It seems to have been a mutual thing. McCrane can now do movies and just about whatever else he can find. People tend to forget that the man can sing, too--after all, he was in Fame! He might do Broadway, or any one of several movie musicals looking to ride the coattails of Chicago.

I really think the new nurse is cute, but I hate hate hate her kid. The kid is written in to so many scenes i'm inclined to think something is going to happen to him (not soon enough though!). What's up with his fascination with blood and gore? And why in the world steal a finger?

Looking forward to Carter returning.

Yes, Linda Cardellini (http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/2173/LindaCarde_Grani_1726570_400.jpg), who plays Samantha Taggart, is quite the looker. You do realize that she played Velma Dinkley in Scooby-Doo (and reprises the role in next summer's Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed)? :eek: Her son, Alex (Oliver Davis), is a bit annoying, true. I believe his fascination with blood and body parts stems from his desire to be a doctor, as well as from wanting to be around his mother more. Kids are tricky to deal with in this series, although I always thought Rachel Greene was handled well until they recast her with a slightly older actress.

dr_evazan22
12-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the info DZ! I had never seen Scooby Doo, and even she won't get me to see it. That kid needs to die! And enough with Disney's match maker. Or parent trap or whatever. Imagine how bad Sam will feel when she finds out that Kovac's family was killed in Bosnia. they'll be an instant couple.

James Boba Fettfield
02-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Tonight's episode (even if it is not over yet) surprised me. First the Roman dedication. I thought it was funny.

My main point for this post, though, is the bit of editing NBC did during the scene where Pratt and Carter tried to revive the older woman.

Blur blur! What was up with that blurring? Were the rumors I read on the internet about NBC censoring at the last minute true because of the Janet Jackson mess? Makes sense, as an earlier episode this season showed a similar thing in an earlier episode this season without any blurs. In fact, I believe it was just recently rerun in the last week or two.

Anyway, just wanted to say I was kind of disappointed to see NBC do that editing for whatever reasons. Not a big deal or anything, but still.

Oh, please my fellow ER fans, don't turn this into a political discussion. I just thought I'd point out the editing in light of recent events. Maybe it will be turned back to normal without the blur when the episode is in syndication. They did let Dr. Green say s**t in the episode where he died for its syndicated run, so we shall see!