PDA

View Full Version : The Top 50 Best Star Wars Figures Proven!

Tycho
09-22-2003, 12:40 AM
In the Wave by Wave favorite figure survey, about 20 of us here rated over 700 different qualifying Star Wars figures from the modern line, then ran them off against each other. The TOP 50 best were (ordered only by date of release from most recent to years back):

Coleman Trebor
Saga Snowtrooper
Anakin Skywalker (secret ceremony)
Saga Han Solo Hoth Gear
Aayla Secura
Republic Gunship Pilot
Ephant Mon
Chewbacca Bespin Escape
Orm Free Taa
Yoda (Hanger Duel)
Dexter Jettster
Jango Fett with removeable helmet
Bo Shek
FX-7
Lando Calrissian Bespin Escape
Darth Vader Emperor's Wrath
Sandtrooper
Darth Vader Dagobah
Darth Sidious Hologram
Mace Windu (Episode One)
Destroyer Droid (Episde One, non-exploding)
Darth Maul (original)
Jorg Sacul
Red Astromech from Queen's Royal Starship
AT-AT Commander
Wedge Antilles
Tusken Raider from the Bantha Set
Max Rebo and Doda Bodonaweido
Darth Vader vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi 2-pack
Klaatu, Barada, & Nikto
Deluxe Clone Trooper
Luke Bacta Tank
Muftak & Cabe
The B'Omarr Monk
CommTech Stormtrooper
Aunt Beru and blue droid
AT-AT Driver
Mara Jade
Luke Dark Empire
Darth Vader with Removeable Helmet
Wicket and Logray
Luke Bespin
Gamorrean Guard
Grand Moff Tarkin
Snowtrooper
Bossk
Sandtrooper
Leia Boussh Disguise
TIE Pilot
Stormtrooper

There were :

33 Classic Figures
14 Prequel Figures

12 from ANH
12 from ESB
9 from ROTJ
6 from TPM
8 from AOTC
3 from Expanded Universe (all Classic EU in this case)

BEST:

Luke Skywalker was either Bepsin, Bacta, or Dark Empire
Han Solo: was the Hoth Saga figure
Princess Leia: was Boussh Disguise
Chewbacca: was Bespin Escape with C-3PO
Darth Vader: was Removeable Helmet
Obi-Wan Kenobi: was in the 25th Anniversary 2-pack
Yoda: was the Hanger Duel with lightsaber
Lando Calrissian: was Bespin Escape
Anakin Skywalker: was the Secret Ceremony
Padme Amidala: was the red Senate Dress
Mace Windu: was the Episode One figure
Jango Fett: was the removeable helmet figure
Darth Maul: was the first one
Palpatine: Hologram Darth Sidious

Most favored droids included:

Destroyer Droid
FX-7
red Astromech from Royal Starship
B'Omarr Monk
Aunt Beru's droid

NO FAVORED FIGURES WERE PICKED FOR:

R2-D2
C-3PO
young Obi-Wan Kenobi
Qui-Gon Jinn
Count Dooku / Darth Tyranus
JarJar Binks

Imperials with battle armor favored the best of any group.

The Total Top 6 Were:

Gamorrean Guard
Darth Vader with Removeable Helmet
FX-7
Ephant Mon
Jabba's Skiff Guards: Klaatu, Barada, & Nikto
The B'Omarr Monk

Some figures might have placed higher than expected due to favorable contests within their respective waves.

Others you might like but don't see listed above may not have made the list because they faced fierce competition in their own case assortment and never made it "out of the box."

I'd be most interested to hear your comments and learn whether all of you think the 20 or so amongst us who chose the best figures did a good job.

Turbowars
09-22-2003, 02:24 AM
Man I wish I could have continued to vote, but my webtv was a hunk of crap! and it is gone! Lets start over:crazed: Anyways I'm happy with the results. Way to go guys.:D

Tycho
09-22-2003, 02:53 AM
There were some figures I wish were recognized:

Cantina Band Member
Slave Leia
Tessek
Amanaman
Dr. Evazan (I actually like the original one)
Wuher
Lak Sivrak
Death Star Gunner
Oola
Jabba's Dancers
Sy Snootles
Droopy McCool

Some of these can hold their own with those that made the Top 50 list.

Some day we can take that top 50 and make nominations for figures new and old and see if any are unseatable.

But yeah, I think we did a really good job at picking the best of the bunch. There isn't a one figure that made that list that was a waste of money, that's for sure!

Kidhuman
09-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Some fascinating picks there, but as usual, an overall poll doesnt speak for us all. Alot of figures were great and didnt get picked because they ran up against Ephant Mon and others. But overall, to rate a top 50 individually would be hard. It was a great time and enjoyed it immensely. Thank you Tycho for reliving what has been a truly great run of figures for the most part.

jeffonthego
09-22-2003, 01:28 PM
My favourite figure is probably a tie between:

Original Darth Maul

300th Figure Boba Fett

Funny, I don't see this Boba Fett on the list.

TheDarthVader
09-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Thank you for consolidating the list Tycho! I was wondering which figures were at the top. Your work is appreciated! :)

Darth Poopypants
09-23-2003, 12:39 AM
Cool list, but saying it's "proven" isn't really accurate. The result of a poll, yes, but not proven. BTW, is this just from POTF2 and on, because there sure aren't that many vintage figs on there...if there were any "Best Of" Star Wars toys list without a vinyl cape Jawa it would be a travesty!

Banthaholic
09-23-2003, 01:00 AM
Cool list, but saying it's "proven" isn't really accurate. The result of a poll, yes, but not proven. BTW, is this just from POTF2 and on, because there sure aren't that many vintage figs on there...if there were any "Best Of" Star Wars toys list without a vinyl cape Jawa it would be a travesty!
It was a best of by wave starting from POTF-2 and on

Tycho
09-23-2003, 02:48 AM
True, No vintage were looked at for this. It was a modern line poll only. And we didn't get into variations since it would have drawn out forever if we did.

I think I skipped 300th Boba Fett now that I come to think about it. He most likely would have gone up against either Luke Bacta or Jorg Sacul. Any predictions what would have happened? Then against Ephant Mon if he got that far? Ephant Mon and FX-7, and also Vader with Removeable Helmet, were some of the unstoppable favorites.

BTW, The Original Darth Maul did very well, JeffontheGo. He lost his duel with FX-7 though because the droid could hold more lightsabers. ;) But seriously, Maul did go down to the droid's detail and articulation. But I Think I voted for Maul in that semi-final round. He was a great figure.

AdmiralPiett
09-23-2003, 03:36 AM
What about Ep. II Senator Palpatine? That figure couldn't have been a more accurate sculpt of Ian McDirmiad. He was a much better figure than the original Darth Maul. In my opinion, the Darth Maul that came packaged with the Tatooine Sith Speeder is much cooler with the soft goods, more menacingly sculpted spikes, etc. Just my two thoughts!
Piett

Darth Poopypants
09-24-2003, 01:25 AM
....Saga Palpatine is the best SW sculpt ever, but they probably took points off due to the utter lack of posability and the fact that he had no accesories. He basically just stood there.

plasticfetish
09-24-2003, 03:10 AM
You guys can go back and read through the thread ...

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19974

... it's pretty epic.

BTW Tycho, that was and is a great thread. I'm already having withdrawals. After reading SirSteve's post about signing up for "survey groups" with Action On-Line, I kind of laughed thinking how Hasbro could never pay for the kind of feedback that they just got with that thread.

I'd be interested to know if anyone from Hasbro read through it ... and what they thought.

stillakid
09-24-2003, 12:42 PM
For the most part, much of the list reflects my own opinions about what the best are. But I wouldn't want Hasbro to go away thinking that the rest that aren't mentioned weren't very good. There were some very difficult choices to make which exluded some very good figures. In fact, I've had very few complaints over the years. Sure, there have been a couple true :confused: moments, like that goofy "flying" R2 from AOTC (the one with the string), but overall, the vast majority of the toys have been pretty good for one reason or another.

Tycho
09-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. Let's continue discussing the figures we love.

You know that Palpatine (Saga) went up against Ephant Mon. I too think the Supreme Chancellor is a very good figure. But he just fell in a good size group to poll on which happened to be the very same group Ephant fell into. Palpatine stood no chance. In fact, Ephant swept I think all but 1 vote from 20 people when they went into their arena.

Another great figure is the Geonosian Warrior (the first one with wings). I like the detail and articulation on this figure, but he lost to Dexter Jettster (who I voted for). But Dexter is a great solid figure with 4 arms and a lot of detail. But it sure is good to appreciate the Geonosian, too.

I think when all the negativity comes out on this site it is when Hasbro decides to do stuff that doesn't seem to make any sense, or doesn't fall within our expectations.

Padme Droid Factory is a good figure, but she also is "screaming." I think when all of us heard they were making her, we expected pretty much what we got - a great figure with good accessories, interaction with a playset, and nice articulation. We never expected her mouth to be agape though.

Now I've waited years for General Rieeken as probably everyone on this website knows. Madalorian Candidate is finally relieved that I can shut up about Old Man Figures ;) - but it's sad if I was scared that they could have made him wincing in pain and flying on a jetpack with a personal proton torpedo launcher. I do think that Hasbro should be stable enough to depend on them NOT to do that. Those kind of things can be sculpted for the Unleashed Line if they so incline to do so. (but Unleashed is awesome the way it was). Yet I think they should know that we expect our mainline figures like Padme to be neutrally posed. With so many outfits of hers, it's not like Anakin where we can wait for resculpts. I hope Padme is not resculpted in the white outfit again until we have 10 different versions of her (NOT counting wedding and Tatooine). But even Mace needs another normal figure released and not a gimmick or scene specific.

That's just meeting our expectations. As long as they do that, they'll be doing alright.

I think all the figures that "won" in the Top 50 list above, and the ones people suggest should have made the count, are all figures that were made exactly the way we wanted them to be, and the way we EXPECT them to be.

That's why they are so darn good.

plasticfetish
09-24-2003, 03:27 PM
I think when all the negativity comes out on this site it is when Hasbro decides to do stuff that doesn't seem to make any sense, or doesn't fall within our expectations.
Yep, for sure.
As well, having seen so many great figures, it's hard to be forgiving when we see something that doesn't live up to what we know Hasbro is really capable of. I mean, if all Star Wars figures came out looking like those Dapol Doctor Who figures, we'd probably never bother to criticize ... we'd just simply ignore the line.

plo koon 200
09-27-2003, 11:39 PM
That's true. As far as Ephant goes he is good but not great. He is an obscure character and flawless but Hasbro needs to do the same thing for their main characters and all their other toys if possible. One problem with Mon is that he interacts more with McFarlane toys than actual Star Wars toys. It is just his paint job, I think. However a cool and great toy. Do not take me negatively.

Emperor Howdy
09-29-2003, 05:33 AM
Holo Sidious? Jorg Sacul? Boussh Leia?

Nah.

mark2d2
09-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Wow, I guess, I must have decidely different tastes.

While I was pleased to see FX-7 so high on your list.
Many of my favorites were absent. . .

2-1B ?---------- C'mon! He was POTJ way back in POTF2 days!
Jawa and Gonk Droid ? --------- The best of both worlds here.
R2-D2 with Hologram Leia ? ----------- Best Astro Unit to date.
Tusken Raider (removable head) ? ------------ This guys rocks!
Cantina Band Member ? --- A childhood desire fulfilled at last!
Duro ? ---------------------- The first Fan Choice is still the best!

PS --- awesome to see that Beru's droid favored so well.
That little guy was one swell unexpected surprise . . .