PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Girl (spoilers)

derek
09-24-2003, 05:21 PM
i just saw the trailer for Jersey Girl, and i think kevin smith has a potential big hit on his hands. though it stars bennifer, it looks like j-lo dies and leaves matt murdock to raise their daughter. it looks like a really nice, sweet(as in sensitive, not cool) movie, and i'm not ashamed to say i got a little teary eyed while watching the trailer....even though smith jipped Springsteen's "Secret Garden" for the trailer....i love the song, but it was already used in jerry mcgwire.

so, for the record, i thought mallrats sucked, loved dogma and jay and silent bob, but am not ben and jen fans, but will definately see this movie.:)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-24-2003, 05:35 PM
Derek- I've been lookin' forward to this movie for a while. I personally can't believe he made a PG-13 movie!! Also, i couldn't care less about the Bennifer press and whatnot; this movie is going to be awesome. Where did you see it at?

Also, hated Mallrats?!? Blasphemy!!! :D

El Chuxter
09-24-2003, 05:37 PM
"Hey! It's a boat!!"

"AAAARRRRRRGGHH!!!"

:p

I've been looking forward to this as well, entirely because I've loved all the KS movies so far. I can't stand J-Lo whatsoever, but I can overlook her for this one.

[DSS]Pedr0
09-24-2003, 05:50 PM
"Hey! It's a boat!!"

"AAAARRRRRRGGHH!!!"

I've been looking forward to this as well, entirely because I've loved all the KS movies so far. I can't stand J-Lo whatsoever, but I can overlook her for this one."He hasn't heard of LaFlours...(pfft).." ALL OF THOSE MOVIES ARE GREAT!!!

derek
09-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Derek- I've been lookin' forward to this movie for a while. I personally can't believe he made a PG-13 movie!! Also, i couldn't care less about the Bennifer press and whatnot; this movie is going to be awesome. Where did you see it at?

Also, hated Mallrats?!? Blasphemy!!! :D

here is the link for the trailer. it's in quick time and took forever to load on my PC

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=jerseygirl

as for mallrats, i wanted to like it, as i loved smith's last 2 films. i saw dogma and J&SBSB first and then rented mall rats, and i just found it stupid and not funny at all. it was apparent smith's writing improved 1000% from mallrats to dogma, in my opinion.:)

*EDIT*

dag-nabbit!!! the trailer has already been removed! but there is a link to the movie site and it says the trailer is coming soon. if the movie is as good as the trailer, smith will have his first big hit. it's too bad jay and silent bob can't make a cameo though. :cry:

mrmiller
09-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Sorry- just got to throw my vote in for Mallrats- you gotta watch it many times, and be a child of the 80's like KS. Jason Lee just rules.

So here is my Thumbs up Wolvie Bezerk Style- Bikity Bam!

As for Jersey Girl- I wanted to see it, but now I"m sick of the Ben and Jen stuff and may just with for the video.

=MATT=

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-24-2003, 09:08 PM
Mr Miller- no, dammit!! This is the kind of talk that the film does NOT need. Its' going to be a great film, trust me!!! Smith won't let us down!!! :D

mrmiller
09-25-2003, 12:13 AM
I have faith in all things K-Smith, but I'm just not excited about this like I once was. Stupid media oversaturation.

=MATT=

bobafrett
09-25-2003, 03:28 AM
"Hey! It's a boat!!"

"AAAARRRRRRGGHH!!!"

Are you talking about J-Lo's caboose? I mean that Butt is a boat. BTW, I saw a story on the entertainment news that Bennifer are back together. I give it 2 weeks.

Beast
09-25-2003, 03:37 AM
I'm eagerly looking forward to this movie, as I'm a huge fan of Kevin Smith's movies. It's a shame we won't see anymore Jay & Silent Bob movies. But it's good to see KS branching out into something different. And there is the Animated Clerks movie that's in the pipeline.

As for Mallrats, I like it. It would have been so much better if the studio hadn't tried to reign KS in from doing what Smith does best. Sure his films are foul mouthed, and full of dirty jokes. But damn there's some good writing behind them. Chasing Amy is a wonderful example of what Smith can do with a more serious film.

I wish they would use Kevin's script for Superman Lives. After reading the treatment it would have atleast stuck to the classic Supes character. But alas, they'd rather destroy the Superman character with something else. And if you're a fan of Kevin Smith, make sure to grab the 'An Evening with Kevin Smith' 2-Disc DVD set. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-25-2003, 04:40 AM
I attended Lunchbox's Q&A at WizardWorldChicago and he has me curious about this movie, for sure. :)

Gigli wasn't too bad, I kinda enjoyed it - so I'm not at all turned off by Bennifer Afflez in this movie.

Kevers was really hammering away at the death plotpoint (and how little she's in it) and the crowd was really eating it up. Of course, this was the same crowd who booed at hissed at cheap shots over comic books and summer movies. :rolleyes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-25-2003, 07:34 AM
Uh, Caesar, you MIGHT wanna put spoiler spoiler or something on that post; it gives away some plot dude. :D

2-1B
09-25-2003, 01:30 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, no.

derek already mentioned it in his opening post so I didn't think it was necessary.
That's actually why I made my post to begin with. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-25-2003, 04:25 PM
oh, crap!! hehehehehe i think i skimmed over it! Then maybe the title of thread should be "Jersey Girl (some spoilers)" or something along those lines.

Sorry for singling you out; i just missed that part of the first post. Sorry again! :D

derek
09-25-2003, 04:35 PM
oh, crap!! hehehehehe i think i skimmed over it! Then maybe the title of thread should be "Jersey Girl (some spoilers)" or something along those lines.

Sorry for singling you out; i just missed that part of the first post. Sorry again! :D

since it's pretty obvious in the trailer that lopez's character dies, i wouldn't call her "death" a spoiler. what i got from the trailer is the film is about afflect meeting lopez, they get married, have a kid, lopez dies, afflect regrets getting married and having a kid, liv tyler hits on afflect, afflect rejects her and then he decides to be a good father. :D :confused: :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-25-2003, 05:23 PM
See, I knew about Lopez death and all, but nothing else, cos i haven't seen the trailer yet though. Thanks for giving me more info i didn't need to hear though. :D

James Boba Fettfield
09-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Reader beware, Guyute, reader beware.

derek
09-25-2003, 07:11 PM
sorry JMG. ;) i guess we have a different view of what a spoiler is. if it's shown in the trailer, i don't consider it a spoiler. :crazed: ......sorry though. :happy:

James Boba Fettfield
09-25-2003, 07:15 PM
I changed it to read spoilers for those who might be heading here without any caution, but for future movie things, maybe caution should be taken before reading any thread in this forum that specifically discusses a movie, since it usually gives away some plot. But for now, I'll put the warning in just in case.

scruffziller
09-26-2003, 07:57 AM
My first impression of this when I heard about it, with Smith doing it, this would be somewhat spoofed.

Beast
02-17-2004, 02:25 PM
I hope it's just Kevin Smith talking out his butt. Because he could be possibly slitting the throat of the box office. Kevin Smith thinks the movie is so great, he's offering refunds to those that don't like it. Because with how many people download movies off the net, just so they don't have to pay to see them. I can imagine a lot of folks just saying they didn't so they can see it for free. :(

Hollywood director Kevin Smith is so confident his latest movie Jersey Girl is a masterpiece, he's offering a ticket refund to anyone dissatisfied with it. Smith, who directs Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez in the film, claims Affleck has given the performance of his life in the forthcoming movie. But he does admit to worrying about how the critical and commercial mauling given to the ex-couple's last film, Gigli, will affect the box-office takings of Jersey Girl. Smith says, "After Gigli, I was, like, 'Oh man - our jobs just got much harder.' But it's not Gigli 2: Bennifer Strikes Back. We're a comeback picture. Affleck has never been as good as he is here. If you're not satisfied, I'd be willing to pay you back, or to even stand at the door of theaters and be like, 'You don't have to pay.'"
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
02-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Soooo.... Jay and Silent Bob are not in the movie?

El Chuxter
10-08-2004, 10:56 AM
I finally saw this about two weeks ago.

If you have not done so, watch this movie immediately! This is easily Kevin's best movie. But fret not, he still works in a SW and a Batman reference.

It's a pity this didn't do better. It deserved a wider audience, and had it done better he might do more movies like it. Don't get me wrong, I dig the Jay & Silent Bob stuff, but this is so much better.

Maybe if they completely downplayed J-Lo's involvement so people didn't think it was Gigli 2. Or if they'd even mentioned the fact that Liv Tyler (sound of mindless drooling) and George Carlin were two of the main characters. I mean, Carlin fans would even watch Spice World if he had a cameo in it.

Rocketboy
10-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Agreed.
Great movie.
Kevin did an amazing job and the movie should have done a lot better.

Stupid JLo.