PDA

View Full Version : Boss Nass is not a Gungan!

Turambar
09-24-2003, 06:35 PM
I just wish I could see some x-rays. Anyway, I've always wondered why the gungans allow themselves to be ruled by a giant frog. After examing the movie, the 3 3/4" and 12" figures of Nass, I have to conclude that he is not a gungan. It's possible that he is half gungan and half. . . I don't know maybe Hutt or something, but there's no way he is the same species as the gungans.

Okay, we see hundreds, maybe thousands of gungans in TPM. From looking at the films and figures, it seems their average height is about 6'5" or 6'6"; Nass is shorter that Obi-Wan. Wouldn't that make him about 5'8" or 5'9"? Also, all of the zillions of gungans we see are some shade of pink, orange, or purple; Nass is the only green alien living amongst them.
Finally, and this is where x-rays would be useful, just by looking at his head and body, I don't see how the skeleton could be identified as the same species with the rest of the gungans. First of all, his eyes are on the front of his face and more sunken in while all gungans' eyes are on top of there heads and protrude on stalks. Also, the slope of Nass's bill is almost vertical and fairly broad while all the rest of the gungans have very prominent narrow bills that are at almost a 90 degree angle from their face. From that there is no way Nass's skull would be considered the same species.
Does anyone else see my point? I know this is irrelevant to the movie, but it just is very distracting to me.

Beast
09-24-2003, 06:44 PM
It's been discussed here before, but yes he is a Gungan. He's a member of a much older part of the race. Note that the original E1 figure is much to small. Take a look at E1 when Nass and Jar Jar are standing side by side and talking. The POTJ figure corrects his height difference. JJB is listed as 1.96 meters which is the average for the Otolla Gungan. Nass is 2.06 meters. :)

There are at least two distinct Gungan races. The Otolla Gungan is characterized by a tall and lanky build, long ears (or haillu), inquisitive eyes atop short stalks, and a pronounced bill. The Ankura Gungan is an older race, with a stockier build, shorter bill and haillu, and hooded eyes. Gungans are hatched from eggs in water cradles, and are born as tadpoles. They quickly grow limbs and are able to walk on land within a standard month of hatching.

Unlike most of the Gungans in Otoh Gunga, Nass is of the old Ankura lineage, denoted by his green skin and hooded eyes.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

CropDuster
09-24-2003, 07:43 PM
So, what you mean is that there WERE 2 races, because from what I saw Nass was the only green blob gungan in TPM, also I have to wonder about him being a different race of the same species. Because, to be included in a species one must be reproductively viable, and I have serious doubts as to whether or not Nass could get the deed done with a female gungan. Regardless, jar jar and a majority of the cg cartoons were a disgrace to the old trilogy.

Beast
09-24-2003, 08:29 PM
He's the only one shown, because there arn't that many of them. They mostly hold respected positions in Gungan Soceity. As for JJB and the other CG characters, I'll take them anyday over most of the aliens in ROTJ. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turambar
09-24-2003, 08:49 PM
He's the only one shown, because there arn't that many of them. They mostly hold respected positions in Gungan Soceity. As for JJB and the other CG characters, I'll take them anyday over most of the aliens in ROTJ. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Interesting bit of EU. However, if they hold respected positions I would think we'd see them among "da bosses." So that is inconsistent with TPM. All of them are gungans except for the one frog who is their leader. IMO, it seems the EU was written to attempt to correct for Lucas' blunder in creating Nass as their leader.

Beast
09-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Interesting bit of EU. However, if they hold respected positions I would think we'd see them among "da bosses." So that is inconsistent with TPM. All of them are gungans except for the one frog who is their leader. IMO, it seems the EU was written to attempt to correct for Lucas' blunder in creating Nass as their leader.
What blunder? This isn't a Stormtrooper hitting his head, or a lightsaber not being colored correctly. This is creature design that took months. It's all detailed in the books that came out at the time, detailing E1. Remember Otoh Gunga is not the only Gungan City on Naboo. Just like Theed is not the only 'Nabooian City' on Naboo. There are other Ankura Gungans, they're kind is just rare. You do realize that related species can look different. It's commen on Earth, why not in the Star Wars Universe. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

CropDuster
09-24-2003, 09:14 PM
As for JJB and the other CG characters, I'll take them anyday over most of the aliens in ROTJ. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I have to agree if you are referring to the "aliens" in the musical at Jabba's Special Ed. Palace. :D

CropDuster
09-24-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm just relieved that most everybody agreed that the character of Jar Jar Binks required a role of lesser importance in the prequels and was justly demoted to a part of less significant status in the story (and less annoying).

Jaff
09-25-2003, 01:48 AM
quoted from Jar Jar

This is creature design that took months. It's all detailed in the books that came out at the time, detailing E1. Remember Otoh Gunga is not the only Gungan City on Naboo.

What Jar Jar is talking about is thouroughly detailed in the Episode I Visual Dictionary which is actiaully compiled from the SW sets and through crewmembers of the film. The book is still in many bookstores in the U.S., and here is a quote from a data file in the book, page 39 to back up Jar Jar's descriptions:

Boss Nass has the distinctive green skin and hooded eyes of the old Ankura lineage that hails from an isolated swamp village. His distant ancestors united with the Otolla Gungans who founded Otoh Gunga.

Get what you want to see from this passage. From reading it, without extrapalating what I want to see it says that he is a DISTANT ancestor to Gungans. So he is a Gungan in some way, he just doesn't look like one!

2-1B
09-25-2003, 02:44 AM
It's not a blunder on George's behalf.
They made him look different to stick out as a leader. Same with Poggle the Lesser. :)

IMO the average Gungans look like frogs while Nass is more of a toad.

Turambar
09-25-2003, 03:34 AM
It's not a blunder on George's behalf.
They made him look different to stick out as a leader. Same with Poggle the Lesser. :)

IMO the average Gungans look like frogs while Nass is more of a toad.

LOL!
How true.

I just started the thread as a joke, but seriously, cro magnon skulls look similar to humans yet are different species. And from observation of Nass's head, the differences between his skull and a gungan's would be much more extreme than that of the cro-magnon vs human -- so it leads me to conclude that he is a different species although probably in the same evolutionary tree! From watching TPM I thought it looked as if gungans evolved from the kaadu, so maybe nass is a more advanced species which would explain his position as their leader. haha

Jaff
09-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Painting evolutionary dogma on SW belittles the series. He's just a different race within the species, just like man or woman, black, or white, dwarf or giant.

El Chuxter
09-25-2003, 11:55 AM
Why is it so hard to "buy" Boss Nass as a Gungan? Take a Gungan, shorten his eyestalks slightly (not too farfetched), change the color of his skin (even less farfetched), and put a lot of fat on him. Voila! Boss Nass.

If Nass isn't a Gungan, Tarpals must not be either, since he has whiskers.

stillakid
09-25-2003, 12:01 PM
Despite the post-movie reading material excuses, to be fair to Turambar, having just one Boss Nass looking creature in that environment does raise legitimate questions. Sure, we can all study the extracurricular texts which explain away the reason he looks so different and why there is only one of him, but to just watch the movie, it really is odd.

CropDuster
09-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Painting evolutionary dogma on SW belittles the series. He's just a different race within the species, just like man or woman, black, or white, dwarf or giant.
Huh? Men and women are different species? Dwarfs and giants? I better ask my genetics professor about that one.

Exhaust Port
09-25-2003, 09:11 PM
He didn't say they are different species.

What Jaff was pointing out is that there are plenty of variations between the genders and races across our globe so why is it a suprise that it would exist on a different planet. Imagine the reaction of an alien after seeing a Korean and a Nigerian standing next to each other. They vary in hair type, stature, skin color, eye color, speech, etc.

Turambar
09-26-2003, 01:59 PM
I can't keep a straight face and try to defend my claim anymore, so I'll drop it. Thanks for the info, though, JJ & Jaff. It still bugs me, but hopefully that can ease my mind.

scruffziller
10-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Painting evolutionary dogma on SW belittles the series. He's just a different race within the species, just like man or woman.
Yes if you are talking the Zintradi from Robotech.:D