PDA

View Full Version : GameCube 99.99 New !!!!!



BFett88
09-24-2003, 06:57 PM
It's official the Cube is now $99.99 brand new. I think it will still come with a free game as well, not sure though. That is a great deal, same price as the Advance SP. Makes you think Nintendo might be going the way of SEGA. Since the PSP will be out in about a year, it will kill the Advance SP. Nintendo should be worried. They have some lackluster games coming out this christmas.

Lord Malakite
09-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Makes you think Nintendo might be going the way of SEGA.
I find that to be doubtful. Nintendo is already working on their successor to both their console and handheld.

DewMan37
09-24-2003, 09:16 PM
I fail to see them lose the handheld market as well.

BFett88
09-24-2003, 10:11 PM
What makes you think the PSP won't domanate. And working on the next Nintendo system. Good for them, but SEGA was the first to release last time and they went belly up. Nintendo isn't even producing new cubes now. They are back logged. Lets put it this way GameCubes are turning into Episode 1 pegwarmers that don't sell.

Lord Malakite
09-24-2003, 11:04 PM
What makes you think the PSP won't domanate. And working on the next Nintendo system. Good for them, but SEGA was the first to release last time and they went belly up. Nintendo isn't even producing new cubes now. They are back logged. Lets put it this way GameCubes are turning into Episode 1 pegwarmers that don't sell.
The company's senior vice president of marketing and communications George Harrison first announced that effective September 25 GameCube will retail for the reduced price of $99.99.
A timed press release crossed the wires at exactly the same point. The following quotes are from the release:

"So far in 2003, Nintendo GameCube is the only home console showing an increase in unit sales compared to 2002," said George Harrison. "Every time a generation of technology has moved into the true mass market, Nintendo has prospered. This incredible new price and our great software offers are designed to accelerate that trend like never before."

"This is not only good for Nintendo, but great for consumers," said Lucky Evani, Toys 'R Us representative. "For $99, you can now buy video game technology that you couldn't have purchased for $99,000 just a few years ago."

Via conference call, Harrison revealed details of the price reduction, including why Nintendo chose to do it, and then fielded questions from reporters. Here are some of his key points from the call:


"This is an aggressive move by Nintendo. This is an indication that this generation of consoles is about to enter the mass market."
"We believe this [GCN price at $99] is the best value in the history of videogames."
"We believe that the most aggressive move we could make was to get to $99 -- under $100."
"Around the world, GameCube continues to be the number-two selling console."
"Between now and the New Year more than 100 new GameCube titles will hit the shelves."
"$99.99 is not the whole GameCube story. Yes, the price is great, but it's only part of the bigger picture."
"We believe Mario Kart: Double Dash!! will become the top-selling new release for the rest of the year."
On GBA and GCN now selling at the same price: ""I don't think it creates a problem. In fact, you can buy an SP and a GCN for the price that you now pay for a PlayStation 2 bundle. We continue to sell as many GBAs as we can get."
"We don't have any plans to do any software bundles."
"Corporate goal for the year is still six million GameCubes to be shipped."
"GameCube production will begin again later this fall."
Harrison also noted that Soul Calibur II for GameCube is outselling all other versions. He said that it is specifically outselling the PlayStation 2 version at a ratio of three-to-two.

BFett88
09-24-2003, 11:17 PM
Calling the move "aggressive," Harrison said shipments of GameCubes had been on the increase during the past weeks as retailers prepped for the announcement. However, Harrison added that he did not expect GameCube manufacturing to resume until later this year.

----------------------------------------------------------------
The Cube manufacturing will not resume until later this year. The Cube is still behind in Sales, and this is a desperate attempt to boost holiday sales and save the cube.

Lord Malakite
09-24-2003, 11:34 PM
The Cube manufacturing will not resume until later this year. The Cube is still behind in Sales, and this is a desperate attempt to boost holiday sales and save the cube.

IGNcube: Nintendo has traditionally never been the first company to drop the price of its console. Why now?

George Harrison: Well, I think we try to run our own business and at this point we felt it was important to really dramatically accelerate the sales of the GameCube hardware. We wanted to get under the $100 price for the holiday season and we also felt that we have the only console that can hit that price point so we felt we would hae the competitive advantage.

IGNcube: There have been a lot of comparisons and parallels made between GameCube and what happened to Sega's ill-fated Dreamcast hardware.

George Harrison: Oh, not at all. This price drop is about setting up the next two or three years of GameCube sales. Key in all of this is to have a strong software lineup, not just for the holiday season but for the next couple of years. It will also help us gain some Nintendo fans who will be prepped to buy the next system when it comes out as well.

IGNcube: We've been hearing rumors that there may be a Mario Kart/GameCube bundle later this year. Is that true?

George Harrison: At this point we're really not talking about any additional bundles. Reducing the price of GameCube to under $100 is probably the most important thing we can do, so the prospect of adding game bundles at this point we don't think is necessary.

IGNcube: Is 2004 the last year of GameCube?

George Harrison: Not necessarily. GameCube will sell well until the next system's launch and I think historically the preceding consoles continue to sell for, say, a year after the following system. We believe now that the next systems won't launch until the end of 2005 or into 2006. That's based on our commitment that we will be at the market at the same time at our competitor's launch and our reading of the marketplace and whether they will be ready by the end of 2005 or not.

IGNcube: So it's likely to be 2005 at they very least before you launch the successor to GameCube?

George Harrison: Again, our commitment from Mr. Iwata is that we will be ready to launch the next system at the same time as our competitors. We won't be behind them as we were in the last two cycles.

IGNcube: In your conference call briefing today, you mentioned that Madden 2004 was the top-selling game. But according to our data it didn't sell nearly as well on GameCube as it did on Xbox or especially on PlayStation 2. Why do third-party sports games continue to be ignored by GCN owners and what does Nintendo plan to do about it?

George Harrison: We would love to have sports games sell better on GameCube. I think serious sports players sort of make their choice for their primary system and that was made over the last two or three years. So starting with the current installed base, it's a little discouraging that we can't sell more sports games. By comparison, though, sales of Madden on GCN this year are up dramatically over the prior year so there is some progress although it may not be as dramatic as we'd hoped.

We recognize that sports is a category where we have to come out of the starting gates strong with the next console so we're going to be making every effort to make sure we've got the best sports games lined up at the launch of the next system.

IGNcube: Why don't you think sports games aren't selling better already on GameCube?

George Harrison: Well, some of it can as simple as functionality. When we launched GameCube we didn't have a memory card at the time that was big enough to hold, say, a full season. People really fanatical about sports demand to have that memory whether it's in a hard-drive or a memory card capacity. So we kind of missed a beat there. Sports games were very important to the US market but maybe not quite as important to the Japanese one and as a result [memory card capacity] was overlooked at launch.

IGNcube: Is the GameCube/Game Boy Advance connectivity feature a gimmick?

George Harrison: Since we've launched the GameCube we've seen a really big opportunity for enhanced gameplay with the Game Boy Advance. We haven't seen the killer application for it yet which is why I think it's hard for consumers to fully get it, but there are some more things coming this fall. Clearly we've not shown the full potential of connectivity. We either have to deliver on that or we have to stop talking about it.

IGNcube: We're really pleased about the price drop. It's good to see Nintendo making more aggressive moves.

George Harrison: Yeah, it's a great opportunity for us this fall and we're going to try to follow through with lots of great software as well.

BFett88
09-24-2003, 11:44 PM
The Cube is still in trouble. The price cut might help, but when losing third party support every day doesn't help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Atari today confirmed it would not publish Terminator 3 and Driver 3 for the Nintendo GameCube platform as previously planned.

Atari confirmed today that two high-profile titles had been pulled from continued GameCube development.

An Atari spokesperson told GameSpot today that Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines is indeed scheduled to be released alongside the DVD (scheduled for November) but that "there simply wasn't enough time to develop the game on all three platforms. Therefore, the game will not be published on GameCube."

In addition, Atari addressed its decision to cease development on a GameCube version of Driver 3 by stating that "it is extremely important to both [the game's developer] Reflections and Atari that the game achieve unmatched quality in all aspects of the title when it ships next year. Because of that, we've decided to focus the efforts of our development team on maximizing the game's potential on our lead SKUs, Xbox and PS2. Therefore, the game will not be published on GameCube."

Atari said that Mission: Impossible: Operation Surma is still shipping for the GameCube as previously planned, despite some sources reporting otherwise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
They didn't lose Atari, but they lost some games. Driver 3 could of helped the Cube.

Lord Malakite
09-25-2003, 12:10 AM
The Cube is still in trouble. The price cut might help, but when losing third party support every day doesn't help. They didn't lose Atari, but they lost some games. Driver 3 could of helped the Cube.
You're right, losing third party support dosen't help. But the main point is that Nintendo is far from pulling a SEGA. Even without as much third party support as the other consoles: "Around the world, GameCube continues to be the number-two selling console." That is saying a lot. And on an even brighter note, the GameCube is recieving more third party support than the Nintendo 64 did.

mrmiller
09-25-2003, 10:28 AM
"Around the world, GameCube continues to be the number-two selling console." That is saying a lot. And on an even brighter note, the GameCube is recieving more third party support than the Nintendo 64 did.

But is it #2 in the US? I thought I heard Xbox had overtaken it, but I'm not sure about that.

=MATT=

DewMan37
09-26-2003, 05:23 PM
it isnt like the price 'dropped' persay...at EB, you could grab a 'Cube and either a Gameboy player, or a choice of 3 games for $150. The price of the player, and the games is $50.

CooLJoE
09-26-2003, 09:57 PM
Nintendo is not in trouble. Some of you seem to forget the incredibly popular Gameboy/Gameboy Advance/SP platform. They have the ENTIRE portable market in their hands and are making a fortune off it. Sega had NOTHING to keep them going aside from their consoles and coin-ops. And with gaming systems getting so powerful, coin-ops aren't selling like they used to. They still make coin-ops as far as I know, but obviously they dropped from the console race to put their time into software (which is where the money really is).

Nintendo could drop the GameCube and still live off just the Gameboy platform. However, the PSP is due out in Japan late next year and in the US early 2005. So Nintendo needs to step things up on their next portable console.

So long as Nintendo's next main console is built with a DVD drive in it, great graphics chip, and decent amount of memory, I think they will do ok. Same with internet connectivity (56k modem and ethernet), it needs to come with the system. A harddrive would be a bonus and would definetely net some more sales if they put one in the system.