PDA

View Full Version : KBToys store & KBTOYS.com 30% off sale

Val Da Car
09-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Did you ever notice the price tags at KBToys stores......

It appears someone did in Illinois....and filed a class action lawsuit...and WON
The benefit for us consumers is a "special sale" for 30% off any $30 or higher purchase between October 8 -14th.

Legal Notice link below....

http://www.kbtoys.com/help/legalnotice.html?place=bfnt&ls=defalt&_e=3f725&_v=3F725F1BzRABa99ECDB77612

enjoy!!!!

force
09-25-2003, 11:43 AM
When I read the suit, it appeared to me that it only references in store sales, so my guess is that online sales will not include this discount. However, I have not made any calls or sent any emails to confirm, so is this the case?

Thanks,
Force

Turambar
09-25-2003, 01:36 PM
I didn't feel like reading all that, so what was the complaint against KB?

plasticfetish
09-25-2003, 02:31 PM
In a nutshell, someone sued KB because their signage was misleading.

I'm pretty impressed that someone went to all the trouble to push something like this through. I've noticed a few problems with KB's signage being either misleading or completely wrong and have complained on a few occasions. Usually the clerk will simply say "Oh yeah, I know, that is kind of confusing." or even better, "Yeah, I'm not sure what that sign's trying to say." It's good to see a company being held accountable for something like this. KB's markup is general higher than other stores anyway ... which makes being misled all the more criminal.

Dr Zoltar
09-25-2003, 02:45 PM
If this does end up being applied to on-line sales, Imperial Shuttle here I come!

At the very least I'll pick up some of the Terminator figures.

force
09-25-2003, 03:57 PM
I have since emailed kb.com (no response yet) and called their 877 number. They would not answer my questions about whether the settlement would apply to only purchases as they said that they could not comment on the issue. I even read the terms of settlement, still no answer. What a bunch of 'Tards', I was just asking for clarification! The Manager of the department seemed to be a little uppity about it, with her "we cannot comment". So, maybe I'll order a shuttle, and ask a local store for a credit adjustment under their "K-B Price Guarantee". If they try getting tough with me about it maybe I'll have to call that attorny for a class action suit on behalf of those customers refused a price guarantee!

From KB.com wording to pay particular attention to:

"...TERMS OF THE PROPOSED SETTLEMENT..."

"Defendants will distribute the Net Settlement Fund by providing a discount at the cash registers of all KB Toys, KB Toy Works, KB Toy Outlet, Toy Liquidator and KB Toys Express stores nationwide, including Guam and Puerto Rico, equal to 30% off all qualifying purchases of $30 or more during October 8-14, 2003. This distribution (the "In-store Distribution") will be done..."

Regards,
Force

Val Da Car
09-25-2003, 04:30 PM
Tie Fighters for $21 each

plasticfetish
09-25-2003, 07:52 PM
The Manager of the department seemed to be a little uppity about it, with her "we cannot comment".
Yeah, I'm sure they're not too excited about giving out info on this one. As well, I'm pretty sure that I read in there somewhere that these settlement terms are still pending on any kind of appeal. They may try to get out of this before they really start announcing, advertising or giving any "helpful" info about it.

I was thinking ... Tie Fighter also ... or Gamorrean Gaurd, but those are $29.99 and the purchase amount needs to be $30 or more. ;)

Turbowars
09-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Did you ever notice the price tags at KBToys stores......

It appears someone did in Illinois....and filed a class action lawsuit...and WON
The benefit for us consumers is a "special sale" for 30% off any $30 or higher purchase between October 8 -14th.

Legal Notice link below....

http://www.kbtoys.com/help/legalnotice.html?place=bfnt&ls=defalt&_e=3f725&_v=3F725F1BzRABa99ECDB77612

enjoy!!!! What about the price tags? :confused:All I noticed is that they are to high and they print them to make you thing that a human wrote them out. This sale will not help me out a bit because the KB around here never get much of anything

plo koon 200
09-25-2003, 09:28 PM
This would only be good if they actually allowed me to get 30% back from my Imperial Shuttle.

JediTricks
09-27-2003, 01:24 AM
I've noticed KB doing this for like 20 years, but the sad thing is, on many of those prices, they are the prices KB would have charged originally, they usually sit like 15% above MSRP and then buy a bunch of old stuff and unload it with that 15-above-MSRP as the crossed-out tag. I think this settlement being something you have to spend money to get is a massive load of crap though.

plo koon 200
09-27-2003, 11:05 AM
110% agree.

Darth Poopypants
09-30-2003, 02:38 AM
....well, Kbtoys.com Is Mentioned As One Of The "kb" Entities Having To Take Part In The %30 Off Sale So I Imagine Online Sales Have To Count. Kb Won't Comment On The Situation Because (if You Read The Contract) They Don't Even Have To Advertise It. Sooooo, Be Sure And Atleast Print Out A Copy Of The Settlement When You Go Down There So They Don't Try And Play Dumb. The Whole Issue Is That Kb Would Take A Fictional Marked Up Price (the "black" Price) And Automatically Scratch It Out And Put The "sale" Price In Red (which Really Is Just The Retail Price). They Did This To Have The Consumer Think The Item Was On Sale And They Were Getting A Discounted Price When They Actually Weren't. For Those Who No Better, It Wasn't So Bad, But For Unsuspecting People Who Actually Thought They Were Getting A Deal It Was Pretty Messed Up. I Remember Seeing A Ps2 ($199.00 Everywhere At The Time) Priced At $229 But The Red "sale" Price Was $199 Which Was Just Bs. All It Is Is A Scam And I'm Glad They Got Caught!

force
10-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Again, per my read, it does not say that kbtoys.com is taking part in the promotions / sale, so they could try and stone wall you. Best of luck anyways.