PDA

View Full Version : Waitress Droid

stillakid
09-25-2003, 03:50 PM
I don't usually complain about the figures, but the Waitress Droid has gotten me down. The poor girl is falling over. It's difficult enough that she has to stand on one wheel, but why didn't you make her with some stronger plastic? The wheel itself doesn't really want to stay within the peg holes and the top-heaviness which is inherent to the design is making the "leg" bend to her right.

Overall, it's a good looking figure and all, but please think through some of the execution after it gets off the page. Thanks. :)

Jaff
09-30-2003, 08:44 PM
I second that bigtime. If you make a fig with a wheel, make sure the wheel stays in, rather than falls out. It would have been better if her wheel was just molded to the figure. This figure can only remain a statue. It has no playability whatsoever with that weak wheel. I thought you made toys for kids! Wasn't this researched. :p

darthzirock
10-26-2003, 01:18 AM
The WA-7 Waitress Droid figure was going to be problematic at best when it came time to convert a CGI character into a 3-dimensional plaything. I can imagine there were several debates at Hasbro as to whether or not that mono-wheel should roll. I can see the argument for making it roll as being appealing to kids, but did they truly think that kids would be the primary buyers for this character? If so, then they need to fire a bunch of folks up there in Rhode Island! :eek:

Obviously, this figure was going to mainly appeal to collectors. For those that keep everything MOMC, the question of the wheel is moot! For openers and displayers--like me!--the wheel is pure Hell! It should have been molded in place and the entire lower body made from a very hard plastic. Even if you can get the wheel to stay on the figure, the figure itself is bending! Not a terribly attractive way to display a figure, is it? (I have the exact same problem with Mattel's Justice League Wonder Woman--the base only has one peg, even though there are holes in the bottoms of both of her feet!--whose shin starts to bend after awhile when you display her pegged). :mad:

So, it appears that Hasbro is incapable of making figures such as WA-7 for either children (who could care less about an obscure droid onscreen less than a minute) or collectors (who can't display the figure once it's removed from the package)! :stupid:

2-1B
10-26-2003, 01:54 AM
I have this figure still on card and I was very concerned about the wheel. Because of that, I figured I should keep the old gal on card as part of my "visual timeline" of the various packaging changes.

Looks like I made the right decision.

:)

Sith Lord 0498
11-01-2003, 07:40 AM
I'm surprised at all the problems everyone's been having with WA-7. I picked one up at Wal-Mart last night, and I have ZERO problems with the wheel and the base. Mine stays firmly attached. I was even holding the base UPSIDE DOWN for a good ten seconds, and the figure remained in place.

stillakid
11-01-2003, 09:04 AM
I'm surprised at all the problems everyone's been having with WA-7. I picked one up at Wal-Mart last night, and I have ZERO problems with the wheel and the base. Mine stays firmly attached. I was even holding the base UPSIDE DOWN for a good ten seconds, and the figure remained in place.

Your's is obviously the defective one. ;)

B'Omarr Monkey
12-20-2003, 07:50 PM
I haven't actually put mine up for display yet since all my figs are temporarilly packed up, so I can't say if mine is problematic or not. Off hand though, my feeling is that this is one of those characters I'm just glad they made, especially since it looks real nice.

The main reason my figs are packed up is that I'm rethinking the display. I get tired of some of them falling over and producing the domino effect on the others and the commercial stands take up too much space. Some of the figures if you want them to stand on their own have to be posed in some bizarre configurations as if they are doing the limbo. My goal is to build shelves with pegs for the figures built in. For WA-7 I was probably going to put in a longer peg/dowel behind her and use thin wire around her waist (or one of those clear rubber bands that we're all too familiar with) and wire it to the peg for support. This was going to be my solution to all the awkward figures without holes in their feet like the pit droids, as well.