PDA

View Full Version : Arena Battle

Co Jo-Da
11-28-2001, 04:03 AM
Man there is so much that could be talked about here. As seen in the Trailers so far, Anakin and Pademe’ try to rescue Obi-Wan on Geonosis but are captured. All three end up in a massive GLADIATOR-LIKE ARENA, chained up to tall pillars in the center and forced to fight huge beast. A quote from a spy report at TheForce.net :

In one scene, Obi-Wan is chained up dodging the Acklay's claw. Anakin is fighting the Geonosis Arena Monsters trying to save the day and in one shot is even seen boldly approaching the Reek, using the Force. He is calming the giant horned beast, and at one point he is even sitting on it! As the beast charges, again Anakin uses his special abilities to slow the Reek down before it can do any more harm.

Whether that ends up being true or not, we’ll find out.

Now we know that Anakin, Pademe’ and Obi-Wan escape from the arena but where do other Jedi’s come in? I’ve seen pictures of Jango Fett and Mace Windu in an amazing fight, which Mace is rumored to behead Jango right in front of Boba. Plus we know that many Jedi will die in the arena but by whom or what? Who or what could kill so many Jedi’s in one battle.

Why do the Jedi send an army to Geonosis? How do so many Jedi get killed in action? Do the CloneTroopers come to fight or save the Jedi’s? Who in the Jedi ranks will die and how?

There is so much to talk about here, please post away…

GNT
11-28-2001, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
Plus we know that many Jedi will die in the arena but by whom or what? Who or what could kill so many Jedi’s in one battle.

The Battle Droids,Destroyer Droids and Super Destroyers probably take out a lot of the Jedi :)

bigbarada
11-28-2001, 09:20 AM
In one of the Ep2 selects, we saw Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme all leaping from something with Anakin holding onto a chain. Could this possibly be the Reek they are jumping off of?

JEDIpartner
11-28-2001, 10:57 AM
I'd have to say so...! :)

Co Jo-Da
11-28-2001, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by GNT
The Battle Droids,Destroyer Droids and Super Destroyers probably take out a lot of the Jedi :)

Now Battle Droids had better have been improved over the past ten years to take out Jedi's. In TPM OBi-Wan and Qui-Gonn took out god knows how many droids without breaking a sweat.

I'm still wondering what role the CloneTroopers will play in the Arena. Sure, Obi-Wan gets into a fight with some of them on Kamino. But the shots from the Trailers suggest that they're getting ready for an invasion. Are they coming to fight Jedi's or save them?

Jedi Clint
11-28-2001, 12:52 PM
Obi Wan and Qui Gon fled a fight with destroyer droids. "It's a standoff!" The droids on Geonosis vastly outnumber the Jedi. The locals have been busy little bees making Battle Droids, Super Droids, and Destroyer Droids. If Super Droids have sheild generators, then that makes them at least as formidable as Destroyers.

I haven't read anything to suggest that Obi Wan fights clones on Kamino. He fights Jango. The clones are being created on contract for the Republic. When the Jedi decide to nip a war in the bud and save Kenobi on Geonosis, Yoda and the council know that they will be vastly outnumbered, so while all the Jedi they can assemble are on their way to Geonosis, Yoda is off collecting the clone army that Kenobi found on Kamino. This battle will mark the first time that a standing army has been in the service of the Republic. There were some pages said to be from the script that I read recently. Appearantly Palpatine has been holding off a vote to create a standing army for some time. Thousands of worlds threaten to break away from the Republic, creating an adversary for the Republic and it's loyalists. The loyalists are the ones who are pushing for the army. There were also some pictures from the Art of Episode 2 book cover. In that photo there were Clone Troopers facing off against Trade Federation Droid fighters and figures that were too distant to make out clearly, but they were probably Droid soldiers as well.

bigbarada
11-28-2001, 01:50 PM
I think the twist will be the Jedi getting their butt kicked by the droid army and they have to be rescued by the clonewarriors.

So the clonewarriors show up, pull the Jedi's fat out of the fire so to speak and Palpatine wins on two counts. Many Jedi are killed and he scores a major point in favor of establishing his clone army.

Jedi Clint
11-28-2001, 02:40 PM
PALPATINE
I don't know how much longer I can hold off the vote, my friends. More and more star systems are joining the separatists.

MACE WINDU
If they do break away –

PALPATINE
No! I will not let that happen!

MACE WINDU
But if they do, you must realize there aren't enough Jedi to protect the Republic. We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers.

Palpatine then addresses Yoda.

PALPATINE
Master Yoda, do you think it will really come to war?

The little green Jedi Master closes his eyes to concentrate.

YODA
Worse than war, I fear... Much worse.

PALPATINE
What?

MACE WINDU
What do you sense, Master?

YODA
Impossible to see ... The Dark Side clouds everything. But this I am sure of -(opens his eyes). Do their duty the Jedi will.

DAR WAC
The loyalist committee has arrived, my Lord.

PALPATINE
Send them in.

They all stand as SENATOR AMIDALA, CAPTAIN TYPHO, JAR JAR, MAS AMEDDA, DORMÉ, and THREE SENATORS (BAIL ORGANA, LUMINARA UNDULI, AND HOROX RYYDER) enter the office. As YODA and MACE WINDU move to greet the SENATOR, YODA taps AMIDALA with his cane.

YODA
With you, the Force is strong... young Senator. To see you alive brings warm feelings to my heart.

PADMÉ
Thank you, Master Yoda. Do you have any
idea who was behind this attack?

MACE WINDU
Our intelligence points to disgruntled spice miners, on the moons of Naboo.

PADMÉ
I don't wish to disagree but I think that Count Dooku was behind it.

There is a stir of surprise. They look at one another.

MACE WINDU
You know, M'Lady, Count Dooku was once a Jedi. He wouldn't assassinate anyone, it's not in his character.

KI-ADI-MUNDI
He is a political idealist, not a murderer

PALPATINE
Count Dooku has always avoided any kind of conflict. It appears he has no desire to start a war. Why would he kill you? To what end?

PADMÉ
I don't know, but everything in my being tells me he was behind it...

YODA
In dark times nothing is what it appears to be, but the fact remains Senator, in grave danger you are.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Padme who's been following this dispute finally raises her voice:

PADME
if I may comment, I do not believe the ...

...and Palpatine finishes her sentence

PALPATINE
...situation is that serious. No, but I do.

PADME
Please! I don't want anymore guards!

PALPATINE
I realize all too well that additional security might be disruptive for you, but perhaps someone you are familiar with .... an old friend like ... Master Kenobi.

The Chancellor then nods to Mace who nods back

MACE WINDU
That's possible, he's just returned from a Border dispute on Ansion.

PALPATINE
You must remember him, he watched over you during the blockade conflict.

PADME
This is not necessary,

PALPATINE
I insist, do it for me. I will rest easier.
We had a big scare today. The thought of
losing you is unbearable.

At this point Amidala lets out a sigh and the Jedi get up to leave.

MACE WINDU
I will have Obi-Wan report to you immediately.

Yoda leans into her ear.

YODA
Too little about yourself you worry and
too much about politics. Be mindful of
your danger and accept our help.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The door to the apartment slides open, and Obi-Wan enters.

OBI-WAN
Captain Typho has more than enough men downstairs. No assassin will try that way. Any activity up here?

ANAKIN
Quiet as a tomb. I don’t like just waiting here for something to happen.

OBI-WAN
You look tired.

ANAKIN
I don't sleep well, anymore.

OBI-WAN
Because of your mother?

ANAKIN
I don't know why i keep dreaming about her now. I haven't seen her since I was little.

OBI-WAN
I'm not sure what it means... but dreams pass in time.

ANAKIN
I’d rather dream of Padmé. Just being around her again is… intoxicating.

OBI-WAN
Mind your thoughts, Anakin, they betray you. Remember you’ve made a commitment to the Jedi Order… a commitment not easily broken… and don’t forget she’s a politician. They are not to be trusted.

ANAKIN
She not like the others in the Senate, Master.

OBI-WAN
It's been my experience that Senetors are only focused on pleasing their corporations that fund their campaigns. My young Padawan... and they are more than willing to forget the niceties of a democracy to get those funds.

ANAKIN
Not another lecture, Master. At least not on the economics of politics. It’s too early in the morning… and besides, you’re generalizing. The Chancellor doesn’t seem to be corrupt.

OBI-WAN
Palpatine’s a politician. I’ve observed that he is very clever at following the passions and prejudices of the Senators.

ANAKIN
I think he is a good man. My instincts are very positive about that.

Obi-Wan’s starfighter is ready for takeoff. Obi-Wan and Mace Windu stand beside it.

MACE WINDU
Be wary, the disturbance in the Force is growing stronger.

OBI-WAN
I’m concerned for my padawan. He is not ready to be on his own.

MACE WINDU
He has exceptional skills. The council is confident in its decision, Obi-Wan. If the prophecy is true, he will be the one to bring balance to the Force.

OBI-WAN
But he still has much to learn. His skills have made him, well, arrogant. I realize now that you and Master Yoda knew from the beginning... the boy was too old to start the training, and...

MACU WINDU
There’s something else?

OBI-WAN
He has an emotional connection with his mother. It has been there since he was boy. Now he is confused, distracted.

MACE WINDU
Why?

OBI-WAN
Master, we should not be given this assignment. I’m afraid Anakin won’t be able to protect the Senator.

MACE-WINDU
Obi-Wan, you must have faith that he will take the right path.

Obi-Wan then climbs into the cockpit of his starfighter.

OBI-WAN
Has Master Yoda gained any insight into whether or not this war will come about?

MACE WINDU
Probing the Dark Side is a dangerous process. He could be in seclusion for days... May the force be with you.

Anakin and Padme are outside with a beautiful backdrop of waterfalls behind them.

PADME
I don't know...

ANAKIN
Sure you do... you just don't want to tell me.

PADME
Are you going to use one of your Jedi mind tricks on me?

ANAKIN
They only work on the weak-minded. You are anything but weak-minded.

PADME
All right... his name was Palo. I was twelve. We were both in the Legislative Youth Program. He was a few years older than I... very cute... dark curly hair... dreamy eyes.

ANAKIN
All right, I get the picture... whatever happened to him?

PADME
I went to become a Queen. He went to become an artist.

ANAKIN
Maybe he was the smart one.

PADME
You're so bad! (laughing) You're making fun of me.

ANAKIN
Oh no, I'd be much too frightened to tease a Senator!

He moves off the landing platform toward nearby shelter. He quickly begins to dry off his cloak when he looks up to see a tall, thin Kaminoan native named TAUN WE.

TAUN WE
Greetings Ambassador. I am Taun We, assistant to our grand president, Lama Su.

OBI-WAN
I trust you know of my arrival?

TAUN WE
Yes, your Council informed us. We have arranged our tour to suit your needs, Jedi Ambassador.

OBI-WAN
I appreciate your hospitality.

TAUN WE
Let me show you around, you will be most pleased with our progress.

OBI-WAN
Your planet has technology which every planet wants. I understand your need for secrecy.

TAUN WE
President Lama Su has asked for your attendance at the unveiling of our clones.

OBI-WAN
I am honored.

INT - CLONE BARRACKS – DAY
TAUN WE and OBI WAN KENOBI walk down a vast corridor. Its only furnishings are tall statues of heroic KAMINOANS. OBI WAN looks at the tall structures and rubs his beard in curiosity. TAUN WE points at various different rooms. The CLONE BARRACKS are METALLIC GREY and very IMPERIALISTIC in style. The vast CITYSCAPE of KAMINO can be seen through the bulbous viewing ports.

TAUN WE (continued)
And these are the clone quarters. From an exceptionally young age, the clones adapt quickly and are very
knowledgeable in the ways of the universe. We have our scholars to thank for their superior intelligence.
SMALL BOYS wearing white outfits rapidly move complex puzzles into the correct formation within seconds. Other CLONES are firing at virtual targets.

OBI WAN
Remarkable. Any defects?

TAUN WE looks at OBI WAN with a penetrating gaze and studies the JEDI AMBASSADOR closely.

TAUN WE
Some, mostly early stage production problems. Our team has been fortunate to obtain outside help from the Bank Clan. Their financial help has provided us with enough capital to ensure production will carry on into the far future.

OBI WAN looks closely at a small CLONE infant, its features perfectly formed. The CLONE gives OBI WAN a little smile. OBI WAN winks his eye at the infant and smiles back.

OBI WAN
Can they communicate? They are perfectly lifelike.

TAUN WE
Certainly. Come, I will let you see the first subject. A gifted child, although somewhat outcast. He lives here on Kamino, along with his father.

OBI WAN
What is the subject’s name?

TAUN WE
Boba Fett, son of Jango.

As they continue the tour, Taun We explains that they used the essence and DNA of Jango Fett for the Republic`s clone armies. He claims that in return for his services, all Jango wanted was a cloned son.

78 INT. TIPOCA CITY, FETT APARTMENT – DAY
Obi-Wan and Taun We arrive at an apartment. The door slides open to reveal a young boy identical to the ones in the classrooms they saw earlier. His name is BOBA FETT.

TAUN WE
Boba, is your father here?

There is a brief pause, then Boba Fett nods.

TAUN WE
May we see him?

BOBA FETT
Sure.

OBI-WAN, TAUN WE, and BOBA FETT enter the apartment. OBI-WAN looks around the room.

BOBA FETT
Dad! Taun We’s here!

JANGO FETT comes in from the bedroom. He wears a jumpsuit. He is unshaven and mean looking, his face pitted with scars of old wounds. There are a couple of weird tattoos on his muscular forearms. He eyes OBI-WAN with suspicion.

TAUN WE
Welcome back, Jango. Was your trip productive?

JANGO FETT
Fairly.

OBI-WAN and JANGO FETT size each other up. BOBA FETT studies both of them.

TAUN WE
This is Jedi Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi. He’s come to check on our progress.

JANGO FETT
That right?

JANGO FETT’s eyes fix coldly on OBI-WAN.

OBI-WAN
Your clones are very impressive. You must be very proud.

JANGO FETT
I’m just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe, Master Jedi.

OBI-WAN
Aren’t we all?

Feelin spoiled ;)

Jargo
11-28-2001, 07:41 PM
Wow.

That's cool 'n' all but it doesn't really feel like a movie geared towards kids does it? The dialogue is very adult. better than TPM but still adult. Are kids gonna get any of this complexity? I know they'll be wowed by the effects and all the clones and Jango and all of that electrickery. but will kids get it? All of the original films worked on a dialogue basis as well as a filmic visual basis. This seems like a two tier movie from that dialogue. Eye candy for the thick and dialogue and plot for those that can read subtext and understand the subtle and not so subtle nuances. Hmmmm, I'm not sure........

Cool spoiler though JC.

Co Jo-Da
11-28-2001, 10:05 PM
Wow is an understatement Emperor Jango.

I agree that the dialogue is very kid unfriendly but I do remember GL saying (in an article a few months) that Episode II and III would be much darker than the other films. That suggests to me that GL heard the pleas of many fans that were put off by TPM’s video game attitude. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the TPM but I thought and still think that it was geared to much towards kids, with characters like Jar Jar Binks and lines like, “ARE YOU BRAIN DEAD, I’M NOT GOING IN THERE WITH TWO JEDI’S”.

After reading those screen pages (keep in mind, this is not the finished dialogue but it will be very close to what we see and hear from the finished film). I am glad to hear more adult conversation; after all having your Mother die in front of you or slathering a whole pride of Tusken Raiders (including women and children) isn’t exactly for young people’s eyes. Now I know that GL will play it down alittle for kids but most Star Wars fans are in there twenties and up.

GNT
11-29-2001, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
JANGO FETT comes in from the bedroom. He wears a jumpsuit. He is unshaven and mean looking, his face pitted with scars of old wounds. There are a couple of weird tattoos on his muscular forearms. He eyes OBI-WAN with suspicion.

So is Jango not wearing his blue suit at all in this scene?Could the tattoo be the red scull thing thats on Boba Fetts suit?

Co Jo-Da
11-29-2001, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by GNT

So is Jango not wearing his blue suit at all in this scene?Could the tattoo be the red scull thing thats on Boba Fetts suit?

That would be a very cool new angle for the Fett legend...Carrying on a mysterious red scull emblem from generation to generation...

derek
11-29-2001, 10:56 AM
it's interesting that obi-wan and jango would meet. what event leads to their fight? and what ties does jango have to dooku or palpatine?

Co Jo-Da
11-29-2001, 12:18 PM
Yeah the fact that the two meet before they fight would so very cool and could make their later fight much more intense...MAN I CAN'T WAIT, THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME...

Jargo
11-29-2001, 02:53 PM
Okay so we know Obi cuts off Zam's arm in the bar/nightclub and then Zam is assasinated. Possibly Obi looks up and sees a glimpse of a guy in a blue and silver suit hightailing it away. maybe Jango jets off into the night making it impossible for Obi to follow?

cut to kamino:

As obi is going around tipoca investigating the cloning facility he gazes at the city through a big round viewport, becomes aware of jango in his suit heading for his ship with boba and speeds to the landing pad to confront jango ( who has already recognised Obi having observed him on Coruscant ). hence the fact that jango is still near the landing pad entrance as Obi comes running out saber ignited. There follows the battle in the rain that we've seen so much of.

My only other guess is that one of the Kaminoans, who seem to be a little naive and innocent of worldly affairs, gives something away about Jango's identity when Obi enquires about the Kyber dart that killed Zam ( Dexter Jettster the coruscant diner owner friend Of Obi having informed him that they are only produced on Kamino). thus leading to Obi racing to the landing pad to confront Jango.

Guestimation of the chain of events but I'm pretty satisfied that it'll happen something like that.

Bothan187
11-30-2001, 01:32 AM
Excellent spoiler JC! I love the chemistry that is building between obi and jango. That scene is a great example that someone making this movie actually knows what is best, which is to build charactors up. At first i really didn't like it that we would see the face of jango and boba, but now it seems cool. Great stuff, mesa so happy about that! And EMPEROR JARGO has pointed out some great possibilities I think that something will be seen, be it something in jango's apartment or seeing him walking somewhere else, in either case that surly will triger a confrontation to a follow up of what insued on Coruscant.

They all stand as SENATOR AMIDALA, CAPTAIN TYPHO, JAR JAR, MAS AMEDDA, DORMÉ, and THREE SENATORS (BAIL ORGANA, LUMINARA UNDULI, AND HOROX RYYDER) enter the office. As YODA and MACE WINDU move to greet the SENATOR, YODA taps AMIDALA with his cane.

I think this is also another great highlight of this spoiler. Not only does yoda have lots of things to say, and i don't know about you but i love listening to that little green guy, but he has some cane action on padme! That just seems more like yoda! Don't it? Hitting something, or someone, with his cane. Bloody brilliant!

Jedi Clint
11-30-2001, 02:22 AM
Thank you all.

I agree Bothan, Jargo does have some excellent points, as do you. Perhaps Obi spies the armor in the corner or something to that extent. Jargo's idea of Kenobi catching a glimpse of the 2 jetting for the Slave 1 works out well also, as does Kenobi asking about the kyber dart that killed Zam. I think between the 2 of you, the clue that tips Kenobi off has been uncovered!

Derek,

It appears in the storyboards that Jango is working for Count Dooku and or the Trade Federation, as he is standing with them watching the heros being fed to monsters. Just a guess really. As for the events leading to their fight, I think Jargo and Bothan nailed it. Kenobi figures out who Jango is, slaps his forehead in disbelief that he didn't figure it out sooner, leaves Taun We standing dumbstruck, and jets to where Jango and Boba are. How does he know where to go? Maybe he does discuss Jango with one of the Kaminoans before he rushes off to confront him......
Obi Wan, "Where is Jango now????"
Taun We, "He is headed toward his ship"
Obi Wan, "Where???"
Taun We, "At space port bla bla bla"
And Obi........is the wind :)

What do you all think??????

GNT,

It would be neat if the tat was the same symbol Boba has on his OT outfit. If I had to guess what he is wearing in that shot, I would say that there was a picture on the internet a while back of Jango in an off white long sleeved shirt. If that was a pic from the flick, then I bet that is what he is wearing when Kenobi comes calling.

EJ,

I agree that that dialogue seems to be geared toward the more mature portion of the audience, and I have absolutely no problem with that! :)

GNT
11-30-2001, 03:35 AM
GNT,

It would be neat if the tat was the same symbol Boba has on his OT outfit. If I had to guess what he is wearing in that shot, I would say that there was a picture on the internet a while back of Jango in an off white long sleeved shirt. If that was a pic from the flick, then I bet that is what he is wearing when Kenobi comes calling.

It'll be pretty interesting to see how this plays out on screen,I sure cant wait to see it though!

What if Obi Wan senses something about Jango when they were talking on Kamino, what if it was the same feeling he had outside the Coruscant dinner when Jango shots Zam??? Could that be a tip off and thats the way he puts 1 and 1 together?

Co Jo-Da
11-30-2001, 12:39 PM
I agree that that dialogue seems to be geared toward the more mature portion of the audience, and I have absolutely no problem with that! :)

I doubt anyone would even younger fans...

mylow thehutt
12-12-2001, 04:32 PM
Ok I know that there are lots of battle droids,deystory droid,and supur battel droids,but besides the new supur battel droids how can the the battle droids,& deystory droid kill Eeth Koth Yaddel and the rest.I mean Jar-Jar lived the same army:confused: also what happens to oppo rancsis he's like a huge snake dude.:happy:

kit fristo
12-13-2001, 08:02 PM
:D
hey all, we all know how cool the arena will be. think about it, hundreds of jedi thousands of battle droids.
think what KIT FRISTO will do, and all the other jedi.
Dont forget the leader of geoneosis POLLGE THE LESSER. (NOT CORECT SPELLING) who knows what he will do during the arena battle.

well have to wait and see.

THE KIT

mylow thehutt
12-13-2001, 08:16 PM
:) Oh man fristo you said it,and personaly i can't waite to see kit in action hope he makes it to ep3:D

Rollo Tomassi
12-14-2001, 11:07 AM
I think we all have Jonathan Hales to thank for this superior dialogue.

And whenever somebody doesn't proofread their post before sending it, I get a Sith Ninja feeling. Anybody else get that little hair standing up on their neck?