PDA

View Full Version : Animated Clone Wars Figures - Target excl.

Masterjedi73
09-26-2003, 10:35 AM
I can't wait to see these! Are any pics available yet?

JEDIpartner
09-26-2003, 10:48 AM
No... the official site just posted this information. I kinda figured that these wouldn't be a wide release since the appeal is rather limited. I was rather skeptical about Hasblah releasing these at all since there wouldn't be a huge market on them. It's nice to see they found a niche. I hope they are nice!

Battle Droid
09-26-2003, 10:49 AM
Well that's just great, seeing how there isn't a Target within a 100 miles of my area. Thanks Hasbro, thanks alot! :frus:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Eh, don't worry BD, there are a lot of good people on these forums; they'll be more than happy to help you out! :D

I just hope somehow, someway, KEBco gets their hands on these badboys. If not, i'll hafta kick into my old habit of hunting...or sending my dad to hunt while i'm at school. :D

evenflow
09-26-2003, 11:00 AM
I have passed up all the Clone Wars figures I have seen up until now. If by some chance iever see a Target, I will pick these up if i see them.

plo koon 200
09-26-2003, 12:45 PM
This is good. Hasbro is making the step in the right direction. Making these exclusive so they don't clog pegs. I will buy these. I have waited for cartoonish figures for to long.

Val Da Car
09-26-2003, 04:13 PM
I guess walmart will not have any real figures next year..

Banthaholic
09-26-2003, 05:39 PM
I'm glad to see that they gave the green light to making the rumored animated figures.

I'm glad Target got them. Target has literally completed my whole '03 collection. They've been constantly moving products. They by far are 'THEE' retailer of '03 so far.

I was hoping for a few Animated figures. It's interesting that they say that it's only 4 core figures but then call them Wave 1. Am I reading too far into this? Although why would you have a wave 1 of a line, if there wouldn't be a wave 2 to follow, who knows maybe it's just the starting wave for '04 for basic figures in general.

These aren't for every fan, although they are for me!

keithfite
09-26-2003, 09:05 PM
I think its neat they are making animated figures. I dont know how good they will do though. I will get them, but I dont think everyone is gonna like these. But they will be cool loose, and hopefully awsome MOC . Hopefully the box these come in will be very detailed and colorful. making it an exclusive was right. If the do this right, they could have a huge hit

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2003, 07:04 PM
These might be cool. Hopefully they won't make any vehicles or playsets in the cartoony style, though. I wonder how far they could go with these, I mean the Anakin Clone Wars figure has the headset and stuff from the cartoon pic, and I believe the other figures are also somewhat based on the cartoon (or vice versa). Oh well, should be interesting to see how these pan out.

plasticfetish
09-29-2003, 02:12 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me ... can't wait to see them.

JEDIpartner
09-29-2003, 11:42 AM
I think the exclusive route was a very good idea on these. I don't see too much appeal for these apart from the die-hards. I don't think many of the fans in the general masses will go for these. I will probably get them as long as the line is limited less than ten and without them venturing beyond JUST the figures.

As I stated before, I think a general release of the figures and the current Clone Wars line would just confuse consumers and we would have more product rotting on the shelves. I can't recall people going that wild over the Ewoks and Droids figures back in the 80s... which is why, I think, many of the figures became impossible to find or unreleased in most markets. Too many figures with limited appeal. *shrug*

Dr Zoltar
09-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Well I for one don't plan on picking these up. I will watch the cartoon "snipets" for the story, but I'm still not too excited about the animation style. I have a feeling these are going to become peg warmers. I felt the same way about the Ewoks and the Droid figures as well -- waste of money.

plo koon 200
09-29-2003, 07:04 PM
That's why a carded Vlix cost around $12,000

JangoFart
09-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Oh, yes!! Being a collector of the vintage Ewoks/Droids lines, I am STOKED about this! Of course, the closest Target is a 100 mile round trip and never has jack in stock. But, they will be mine. Oh yes, they will be mine!

J

Banthaholic
09-29-2003, 11:51 PM
Oh, yes!! Being a collector of the vintage Ewoks/Droids lines, I am STOKED about this! Of course, the closest Target is a 100 mile round trip and never has jack in stock. But, they will be mine. Oh yes, they will be mine!

J
JangoFart, we might be the only two who enjoys collecting the vintage 'toon figures, and are actually over excited for the Clone Wars 'toon figures.

JangoFart
09-30-2003, 12:46 AM
JangoFart, we might be the only two who enjoys collecting the vintage 'toon figures, and are actually over excited for the Clone Wars 'toon figures.
Seems that way, Banthaholic. But hey, who needs 'em? The less they buy, the more likely we are to find the figures we want :)

I HOPE Hasbro gives us a card similar to the cards from the vintage 'toon lines. Ya know - a great art picture of the character in action from the 'toon! I was hoping for a 'toon Yoda, as I totally dig his look. But, this IS better than nothing so I'll just be happy with the ones which are confirmed.

J

Emperors_Hand_2211
09-30-2003, 02:52 AM
There are pictures of the Mace, Anakin, Obi and Ventress cartoon figures over at GH via eBay. I have to say I think they're pretty cool, especially Mace. Not sure I'll buy them it depends what kind of premium I'd have to pay (I'm UK so US store exclusives can be really expensive here), but they are pretty cool.

darthzirock
09-30-2003, 03:16 AM
OK, saw these at GH, too. It looks like we are talking very limited articulation, here! Perhaps as little as 4 points, and none below the waist. However, if they look as good as these product samples, and the Target stores in my area actually get them in sufficient numbers for me to ever find them at retail, then I would most definitely say I'll be buying them. :D

Jedi Tech
09-30-2003, 04:32 AM
New pics of the animated clone wars figures are up and RS, they have Mace, Anakin, Obi, and Ventress. They kinda remind me of Jay and Silent Bob figures, just plain awful IMO.

Old Fossil
09-30-2003, 08:07 AM
Man, they look ridiculous. Ob-wan looks like a gargoyle.

I'm glad this is a more limited, Target-exclusive run. It's not the direction I'd want the line to take...

plo koon 200
09-30-2003, 09:00 AM
I love these. They are meant to look like they are out of the cartoon. I cannot wait to get these. Something new and innovative for once. Imagine that. I can't belive there are so many complaints.

JEDIpartner
09-30-2003, 09:06 AM
Okay... I just saw images of these over at TF.N and they are... hmmmm... well... not that great. Well... maybe they are. I can't really tell. The animation, to me, is really good and the characters look fine. They just don't seem to translate to plastic very well. Well... from the first shots of them anyhow. :cry:

http://www.theforce.net/collecting/index.shtml#22119

Masterjedi73
09-30-2003, 09:19 AM
I actually like them. It's nice to see the line do something different. I'm also looking forward to seeing the new cards (hopefully). I used to keep all my figures carded, but now I just keep one or two from each card series unopened and I open the rest.

The animated figures look like they could use more articulation, but Hasbro has been kind of crazy with articulation lately. I can't even get most of my figures to stand up!

I'm looking forward to these animated figures. It's something different, and I think the line needs that.

JEDIpartner
09-30-2003, 09:27 AM
I guess they just look kinda cheap to me. They look more like bend 'ems rather than plastic figures. I think it's mostly due to their legs. I really wish they'd pack those nifty "Star Wars" stands in with all of their figures. It seems as though they felt the need to to that with these because you really couldn't tell what they were supposed to be.

Masterjedi73
09-30-2003, 09:37 AM
I wish they'd put stands in with their figures 'cause I can't get any of them to stand up without them...I have to buy figure stands online.

I guess they do look kinda like bend ems, but still, it's star wars, and it's something different.

At this point, I'll take anything new that I can find. No stores around me have new stuff. I have to pay some outrageous online prices.

JEDIpartner
09-30-2003, 09:51 AM
I'm hearing you on the stand and the outrageous on-line pricing. The pricing KEBco has is the most reasonable pricing I've seen on figures and ships. If it's an exclusive, though... that's another thing all together. They have the Christmas Yoda priced at $25.99 and that's available for $12.99 via the fan club. I really don't mind paying $5.99/figure but I don't think they will be getting these figures in for a decent price. I'll probably pick up one of each and leave them on their cards. I really can't see them being good for anything else.

Perhaps the fan club will start carrying the special stands that they are showing with these figures. I guess we can always suggest it to them.

InsaneJediGirl
09-30-2003, 10:19 AM
Anakin and Obi-Wan look..crappy.Obi-Wan rarely smiles,so why does he have that expression on his face?Mace and Asajj aren't too bad,I'll probably pick those up.Is it me,or does Mace's head look a little..anorexic?

As for the stands,I love them.Too bad Hasbro doesnt pack these Star Wars Logo stands in with every figure.

JEDIpartner
09-30-2003, 10:23 AM
Mace's Head looks like a lightbulb and Anakin looks like Vanilla Ice! :crazed:

I just figured out what the problem was!!! :eek:

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
09-30-2003, 10:34 AM
I actually like how the lightsabers look! :happy:

rherk
09-30-2003, 10:36 AM
I think they look great! Fun looking style. Very refreshing!

Mandalorian Candidat
09-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Are we sure these things aren't made by Applause and not Hasbro? The sculpts are odd but my beef is the lack of apparent articulation. Head and shoulders if anything at all.

Obi-Wan looks like one of the poorly drawn Greek God characters from Hercules.

Battle Droid
09-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Damn they're ugly, I'm glad they're an exclusive now.

JEDIpartner
09-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Here is a single shot of the set for those who don't need all the detail from the larger pics at the link.

It appears there might be waist articulation in addition to shoulder and head but that appears to be it.

JangoFart
09-30-2003, 01:06 PM
I think some folks are missing the point here. I'm not so sure that these limited figures are meant for anything other than to commemorate the show and give collectors a little something extra. I don't see these figures as an extension of the current line; like the Clone Wars carded figures are an extension of the Saga line. Who cares if they have no articulation?

They are meant to be displayed, not played with. Ever dig on the "articulation" of the figures from the vintage lines? I like them exactly the way they are - it's a homage to the old 'toon figures.

My thoughts are: Love 'em. Can't wait to get 'em. They will be mine.

J

Tycho
09-30-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm on the fence as to whether I'll buy these.

Probably not. But you never know. I like Anakin's droid arm! Mace and Ventress do look pretty cool. And they may have hidden articulation. Looks like there could be more to them.

Meanwhile, I thought these'd inspire me like the Playskool line did. But that's different. The Playskool stuff has vehicles, no accessories that can get lost, etc.

But these look just as durable.

JEDIpartner
09-30-2003, 01:17 PM
No articulation on figures do not make these action figures, which is what they are calling them. These would be better named "STAR WARS: Clone Wars animation-styled figurines". I think that's the thing... everyone was expection action figures.

Again... I'll probably buy a set and keep them on the cards.

aceguide
09-30-2003, 01:53 PM
I'm glad to hear all the nay-sayers. Means I might get them!

They are cool looking and will make an interesting display piece.

evenflow
09-30-2003, 01:59 PM
I like them better than the regular clone wars line. I will be trying to pick these up.

plo koon 200
09-30-2003, 02:47 PM
I actually like how the lightsabers look! :happy:

I'm with you there.

mylow thehutt
09-30-2003, 03:07 PM
not to shaby now a clone,3PO,R2 and Yoda wouldn't be half bad.

El Chuxter
09-30-2003, 03:08 PM
Ani does look like good ol' Robert Van Winkle! :D

"Take heed, 'cause I'm a Jedi poet
Tatooine on the scene, just in case ya didn't know it!"

They look pretty okay overall. Nothing spectacular. I'll wait until I see them to decide for sure.

InsaneJediGirl
09-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Is that extra articulation on Mace's left leg or the pant sculpt?

JEDIpartner
09-30-2003, 03:40 PM
methinks they maybe the swivel articulated lower leg thing that happens on figures like Palpatine & POTJ Boss Nass.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-30-2003, 03:55 PM
I like these very very much!!! It's something kinda cool and extra for the SW geek fanbase. It would be kinda cool if they did a Yoda figure in this style too.

My only possible grip is Mace's head; WTH is up with that? It looks like a squished peanut!!

I shall DEFINATELY be picking these figures up! :D

Dr Zoltar
09-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Well I'm going to pass on these. It should make some collectors in my area happy as there will be more for them to get. The only 2 things I like about these figs are the sabers and the stands. The actual figures look terrible but I'll accept them as part of the supposed Lucas supported EU.

OC47150
09-30-2003, 04:42 PM
I was not aware of these figures until today, when the pictures showed up on the internet. Interesting. Like some of the other posters said, it does remind me of the Droids and Ewoks lines of figures.

I will probably cough up the money for them, because they are a novelty.

tagmac
09-30-2003, 06:21 PM
Geez...is that Anakin or Vanilla Ice? :D

plasticfetish
09-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Now that's funny.
I was gonna say Jim Carey ... but Vanilla Ice is much better.

I suppose they're pretty much what I expected. I would like to have seen more articulation ... because I do think that these will be bought by kids, and It'd make them more fun to play with. (And yep, some droids and a Yoda would be great.)

stad
09-30-2003, 06:46 PM
I'm actually kind of shocked at the lack of complaints about these. I mean, it doesn't matter to me that they have these (although the wasted effort could have been used to create some real figures), and I'm not gonna knock anyone for wanting them, you all are entitled to your opinion, but I just don't get it. These things are kinda ***, cartoony style anything pretty much sucks, and I must admit, I really don't look forward to the cartoon as much as I should due to the dumb cartoonish style. I just don't like it, and never did, even as a kid. Oh yeah, the stands are really nice!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Eh, they look pretty good for what they are. I'll get these, but the regular Clone Wars line is (IMO) better. The bases and sabers look cool as hell, though.

plasticfetish
09-30-2003, 07:07 PM
I'm actually kind of shocked at the lack of complaints about these.
I'm not sure what we should be complaining about. They look like "Animated Clone Wars figures", which is what they're supposed to be, so there's no point in complaining.

And I doubt that the Hasbro think tank has been distracted too much by these. No doubt they'll find the time to come up with more "real figures."

RooJay
09-30-2003, 07:40 PM
DUDE! :sur: Those are so mine! :D

Turbowars
09-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Dude they are so _hitty! I hate that Hasbro is wasting their time on this cartoon and line of non action figures. I hope no one buys them so that they will be worth thousands 20 years from now.:Pirate:

Banthaholic
09-30-2003, 10:22 PM
These are just plain horrible, how HAsbro can ruin the Star Wars line is beyond me, OH WAIT These are the 'Animated' figures, oh ok. :)

I like them, they're definitely unique. When rumored, I was hoping for something different that would set them aside from the normal line, and these definitely do that well.

I'm hoping they give these cool packaging. Does anyone know if they are supposed to be individualy carded or in a TRU-like 4 pack? I'm hoping for carded myself.

I really like the stands as well, I hope they're included with the final product (not that I'd need them anyhow since they'll be left carded)

plo koon 200
09-30-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure what we should be complaining about. They look like "Animated Clone Wars figures", which is what they're supposed to be, so there's no point in complaining.

And I doubt that the Hasbro think tank has been distracted too much by these. No doubt they'll find the time to come up with more "real figures."

A good point. Collectors have both the option of animated figures or non-animated as the ones being released now. As well the animated versions are excluisves and do not put a dent on any other possible toy releases for 2004. Basically they are four extra figures that you can buy. If they were never made no one would have noticed and there would have been four less figures released in 2004. Trust me. And like I said Hasbro was smart enough to make non-cartoonish Clone Wars figures so what is there to complain about? I'm at a lost with those who are complaining.

JEDIpartner
10-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Post #29.... I called it first! ;)

Mace's Head looks like a lightbulb and Anakin looks like Vanilla Ice! :crazed:

I just figured out what the problem was!!! :eek:

jedi-cpa
10-01-2003, 09:13 AM
Another eBay exclusive, because there is no target anywhere near me!!!

Target excl. kill my bank account.

TheDarthVader
10-01-2003, 05:01 PM
I agree with Turbowars. These figures suck! I know they are what they are "supposed" to be but I'd rather have Hasbro work on more important figures like Admiral Ozzel, Captain Needa, Yarna, etc etc etc. I will not be buying any of these figures.

Darth Cruel
10-01-2003, 05:16 PM
that we will be able to either choose the version we want or get both. I think these animated style figures would have been cool as chase variation (in reasonable quantities) of the non-animation sculpts of the the characters. Either way, I am glad they did them AS WELL AS the non-animation versions.

amidalak
10-01-2003, 10:22 PM
they are what they are, if i see 'em, i'll probably get them, but if not, eh, who cares?

Masterjedi73
10-02-2003, 07:54 AM
The only thing I think you can blame Hasbro for here is the lack of articulation. The figures are based on the animation (which I'm not really a fan of). They can only design them based on what they're given.

I'll pick them up when I see them. I'm not really a MOMC collector (I have some) but I'm looking forward to seeing these cards.

jjreason
10-02-2003, 02:34 PM
I can safely ignore these for the purposes of my collection. The regular look Clone Wars figures will do fine.

JangoFart
10-03-2003, 01:54 AM
The only thing I think you can blame Hasbro for here is the lack of articulation. The figures are based on the animation (which I'm not really a fan of). They can only design them based on what they're given.

I'll pick them up when I see them. I'm not really a MOMC collector (I have some) but I'm looking forward to seeing these cards.
Well, here's hoping the cards are something worth seeing; not just the same Joe-Blow kind of cards like Saga or Clone Wars. (Not that I dislike those cards, but compared to the vintage Ewoks/Droids cards, they are homely, IMO.)

J

kool-aid killer
10-03-2003, 11:32 AM
I like how these guys look, its something different from the usual pieces. Im eager to see what the card looks like too. Im getting them all.

RooJay
10-03-2003, 06:50 PM
The only thing that really bugs me about these is that these four will most likely be the only ones we ever see. Meaning no Yoda, no Battle Droids or other Separatist forces, no Kit Fisto, no Plo Koon or Saesee Tiin, and - rather disturbingly, considering - no Clones (in spite of the line being named "Clone Wars"). :confused: :(

plo koon 200
10-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Good point RooJay. No clones.

dark_one
10-04-2003, 03:18 PM
yeah, I have to agree that no clones is a bit unusual. They MIGHT be worth buying. Otherwise there is nothing here I care to waste money on. Especially with only four. Just how much of a diorama can you make, they cant be incorporated with the other figs or they will look extremely out of place. The only use for a collector would be just to have for the sake of saying you have all the figs available. These I think will be bought mostly by the kids.

plo koon 200
10-04-2003, 03:44 PM
What kids?

Turbowars
10-04-2003, 03:49 PM
What kids? Yeah kids don't buy this crap.:crazed:

stillakid
10-04-2003, 04:50 PM
I don't know. They're kinda cute. I wouldn't mind seeing a whole line of these.

Are they really Target exclusives? That would just about kill any chance this line has of actually being obtained by most people that want them plus it'll absolutely kill the line's chance of being expanded.

Whoever came up with this moronic "exclusives" idea should run for governor of California. He'd fit right in.

jeffonthego
10-06-2003, 08:51 AM
While originally sceptical about these, now that I see them I think they could have had some potential as one-offs outside the main line.

However, there are two problems I see with these:

1) Sure, it's a particular animation style, not true-life realism. However, that doesn't mean that the figures shouldn't look like the actors. To me, Obi Wan looks passable, but Anakin and Mace, especially, just don't look like the actors.

2) A stranger thing is that considering that this will not be a full line, what is with the choice of characters. It seems to me that Yoda and a Clone would have been no-brainers as the top two standalone choices. With all due respect to Mace, I don't see him as a top-tier choice.

That's my two cents . . .

darthzirock
10-23-2003, 01:46 AM
Yup, Hasbro has blown it once again! One of the reasons that the first Saga Yoda was so hard to find was that kids were really into Yoda after seeing him break open that can of whup-@$$ on Count Dooku in AOTC. So, you had collectors vying with kids who were just buying the Yoda figure because, suddenly, Yoda was cool. Based on what's been seen of the Cartoon Network Clone Wars micro-series, Yoda will be kicking it up once again. Yet, this time around, there won't be a Yoda to go with the animation-based figure line. I think this line just might end up a bigger peg-warmer than those CW Battle Launchers.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-29-2003, 12:36 PM
Starwars.com just updated with bigger, better pics of the first four, and they said that there's gonna be Count Dooku, Durge, Yoda, and a clone trooper! These are growing on me.

Battle Droid
10-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Wonder if they'll also be available at the Cartoonetwork Store? I know they don't say they will be, but you'd think they would be.

Banthaholic
10-29-2003, 01:45 PM
A cartoony Count Dooku will rock!
Plus the cartoon Yoday and Clone Trooper we were hoping for. This series is going to be for select collectors and kids, but it'll be for me!

Brainiak76
10-29-2003, 05:55 PM
i like these alot! im pretty sure ill be getting all of these!! cant wait for the dooku and clone trooper!

darthzirock
10-30-2003, 01:27 AM
Yahoo! Hasbro must be reading our posts, because we're getting Yoda, Clone Trooper, and even Count Dooku in the animated line!

Thanks, Hasbro. Now, could you deal with your suckie distribution issues before these things start shipping?

evenflow
10-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Well I like these better than the regular line. I hope i can get my hands on these. I am really looking forward to the cartoon Yoda.

Banthaholic
11-09-2003, 11:54 AM
Check 'em out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3154962728&category=2476

Turbowars
11-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Check 'em out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3154962728&category=2476 I'll be buying these!!!!!!

plo koon 200
11-09-2003, 12:57 PM
I love the packaging. :) :) :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Those cards are sweet! Where's the bases?

Brainiak76
11-09-2003, 07:32 PM
:eek: :eek:

wow those look sweet!! im getting those forsure!!

JangoFart
11-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Well, I'm VERY stoked that Hasbro used special cards for these figures. The cards look like a mixture between the old Ewoks and Droids line with the character-specific pic and the modern line with the Clone Trooper's head on the card.

VERY nice!!

J

plasticfetish
11-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Yep. It's nice that they did something a little different for these cards ... I was also hoping that they would. Seems from these blurry photos to be a pretty nice design. A little simplistic, might have been nice if the cards themselves had included some more detail, maybe each cardback having different scene specific art on it, etc.

But, I suppose those days are long over.
I'd like to see what the back looks like also.

BTW ... these lightsabers that they come with, are they the same kind that the new concept Stormtrooper has? Can anyone tell?

darthzirock
11-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Seems from these blurry photos to be a pretty nice design. A little simplistic, might have been nice if the cards themselves had included some more detail, maybe each cardback having different scene specific art on it, etc.
Here's a link to some clearer pix (no cardbacks, though).

http://www.swcollector.com/temp/animatedcarded/animatedcarded.htm

LTBasker
11-09-2003, 11:44 PM
BTW ... these lightsabers that they come with, are they the same kind that the new concept Stormtrooper has? Can anyone tell?

Nah, they're like the regular lightsabers except they have V shaped flares coming out from where the blade meets the hilt. Kinda like the current energy flares on drugs.

JEDIpartner
11-10-2003, 09:34 AM
I'm not exactly crazy about the new cards. The overuse of white and yellow makes the card look a little cheap. I DO like the huge pictures of the character on the inserts. Ah... I hope these aren't too hard to find.

:(